Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Globular Fellow posted:

Ghost Ippo's a metaphor jesus

Hardly an excuse given what has preceded it.

Woli pretty much the worst thing to happen to the manga. Ippo had hardly been the most realistic depiction of boxing, but I really can't recall a time in the whole story where poo poo was as bonkers as this.

With luck, we'll get four two page spreads in row for an upcoming chapter, each showing a single punch Ippo lands on Woli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ghost Ippo isn't real. It is just how Woli visualizes the horrible bone cancer in his ankle. Unfortunately, by the time anyone figures out what is wrong in monkey land it will have spread all the way to his pelvis and the entire leg will need to be amputated.

Seriously though, Ippo winning because Woli suddenly grows a tumor mid-fight would be hilarious. Samurai spirit is carcinogenic!

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Maybe Woli ate so many bananas before the fight that he is now suffering from potassium poisoning. With any luck he will go into cardiac arrest in the next couple of chapters.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Would Woli feeling fear make him think people are bumping his leg with a chair? That doesn't make sense. Let's call in Hugh Laurie for comment.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

ilifin posted:

Would Woli feeling fear make him think people are bumping his leg with a chair? That doesn't make sense. Let's call in Hugh Laurie for comment.
I think it was moreso just the sensation of standing back up or something. This shouldn't be Ippo instilling fear in Woli.

Judging by the organ close-ups, though, it seems like Ippo did some serious doctor-like precision-blows like we've seen before :v: I can't recall the blows off the top of my head (image joints blocked at work yet not Somethingawful? :psyduck:), but I remember one in particular definitely hit him in the liver-type-region. Even if he was unconsciously doing corkscrew blows, they shouldn't do any real damage given the force he had behind 'em.

Ugh, Mori :smith:

Actually, I just had an idea. Couldn't this be a carry-over from the chin-tap earlier in the fight? Or maybe it at least has some effect here?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Maybe Ippo accidentally clipped Woli's ankle with a punch while he was jumping around like an idiot.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

ilifin posted:

He's probably not used to the elasticity of the surface of the ring, and that screwed up his jumping motions which made him more tired and maybe gave him an ankle cramp which could manifest as a twitch in the leg.

EDIT: Remember back when you were 7 and were jumping on your bed all the time? Wasn't that hard? It's like this.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Geop posted:

I think it was moreso just the sensation of standing back up or something. This shouldn't be Ippo instilling fear in Woli.

Judging by the organ close-ups, though, it seems like Ippo did some serious doctor-like precision-blows like we've seen before :v: I can't recall the blows off the top of my head (image joints blocked at work yet not Somethingawful? :psyduck:), but I remember one in particular definitely hit him in the liver-type-region. Even if he was unconsciously doing corkscrew blows, they shouldn't do any real damage given the force he had behind 'em.

Ugh, Mori :smith:

Actually, I just had an idea. Couldn't this be a carry-over from the chin-tap earlier in the fight? Or maybe it at least has some effect here?

I think this makes the most sense. You know how you just have to tap your funny bone to make your elbow feel all weird? It's probably something similar to that even though Ippo isn't doing it on purpose.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Globular Fellow posted:

Ghost Ippo's a metaphor jesus

It is his Bankai. :c00lbutt:

Soth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 9, 2010

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
I can't wait until he evolves into primeape.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

This manga has just been ruined artistically for me forever since some people on the Dynamite Glove forum were talking about how shittily drawn the ears in the series are. Somehow I never noticed before that they're just an ear outline with random circles drawn inside.

I understand it's just Morikawa's style to do that I guess...but drat when you notice it, it stands out.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Mr. Deathy posted:

This manga has just been ruined artistically for me forever since some people on the Dynamite Glove forum were talking about how shittily drawn the ears in the series are. Somehow I never noticed before that they're just an ear outline with random circles drawn inside.

I understand it's just Morikawa's style to do that I guess...but drat when you notice it, it stands out.

Wait, you didn't always hate the art?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

An Outland Dish posted:

Wait, you didn't always hate the art?

Woah woah, as terrible as it's gotten, the early art was fantastic. This guy knew how to convey motion.

If you mean now though, yeah it's pretty lame. Everything is too angular and just weird looking.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

I hope after this fight Ippo goes through a "makeover" where he suddenly puts on glasses and does that thing where he pushes them up the bridge of his nose.

Really, none of the possible explanations for this make sense:

Intimidation - it's not like you can become intimidated without realizing it, so this makes no sense at all

Body blows doing something - hahahaha no. Ippo isn't smart enough to do weird doctor poo poo like Sanada, and it's too weird even for this manga to have blows that don't cause pain do actual damage

Woli having low endurance - doesn't make any sense, it's not like endurance is something where you suddenly have energy one minute and don't the next, without realizing it. Woli would have been able to anticipate it

That just leaves Woli having some legitimate issue with his foot, which while supremely unsatisfying, at least is *possible.* Though even then it doesn't make sense, because it seems like Woli would have noticed more, and nothing in the match should have caused it.

Who knows, though. I have a bad feeling they'll somehow make those body blows mean something. Why else would Morikawa have focused on them so much?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Miyata has lightspeed knuckles, so Ippo gets accupressure fists; he hits one area of the body to affect another.

It's just dumb enough to be true, and it scares me.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

My only at gripe? When it tries to show an angle back-and-to-the-side of a person's face. Only see one REALLY WIDE OPEN eyeball. Looks so hosed up and out of place :( You guys know what I'm referring to, right? Don't know here I can scrape it up but he's done it at least a dozen times by now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Miyata has lightspeed knuckles, so Ippo gets accupressure fists; he hits one area of the body to affect another.

It's just dumb enough to be true, and it scares me.

The reason why his faster than sound punch didn't bother me as much is that I could easily rationalize it away as just being an exaggeration, and that in reality he just punched really fast. (I know it probably wasn't intended to be just an exaggeration, it's just easy to imagine it that way)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Geop posted:

My only at gripe? When it tries to show an angle back-and-to-the-side of a person's face. Only see one REALLY WIDE OPEN eyeball. Looks so hosed up and out of place :( You guys know what I'm referring to, right? Don't know here I can scrape it up but he's done it at least a dozen times by now.

Hahhaha, I was gonna post this. He started doing that shot fairly early and is one of his favorites, he has done it at least a hundred times and it is immediately noticeable. At first it bugged me but then I realized it is part of the style and helps him make some interesting shots while you are still able to see the characters eyes.

I just clicked randomly 5 times and got this one example http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/643/03/ usually it is even more pronounced.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

TWO TIMES on ONE page?! How terrible ='D

Twobits
Apr 30, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Who knows, though. I have a bad feeling they'll somehow make those body blows mean something. Why else would Morikawa have focused on them so much?

That's exactly what it's going to be :(

In real boxing, body blows are supposed to "kill legs" so I guess that's what he was trying to do there. I don't know how those little taps would kill legs but there you go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twobits posted:

That's exactly what it's going to be :(

In real boxing, body blows are supposed to "kill legs" so I guess that's what he was trying to do there. I don't know how those little taps would kill legs but there you go.

Ippo's fists are the deadly sword of a samurai in spite of being non-lethal and used exclusively for sporting events. Still, samurai (samurai samurai).

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Twobits posted:

I don't know how those little taps would kill legs but there you go.
THEY CALL HIM MISTER GLASS.

BECAUSE HE BREAKS SO EASY.

='(

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Woli having low endurance - doesn't make any sense, it's not like endurance is something where you suddenly have energy one minute and don't the next, without realizing it. Woli would have been able to anticipate it

This happens all the time. Most people refer to it as an adrenaline dump.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

891 Raw is out:

Ippo and Woli enter a hitting match, and, thankfully, Ippo only takes one shot before completely rocking Woli's poo poo. Woli almost goes down, but catches himself on the ropes. Ippo closes in for the kill, but, unfortunately, the god drat round ends :arghfist: Miguel talks to Woli after he sits in the corner, but then notices Ippo's fist is bruised in to Woli's midsection.

Miguel then realizes that Ippo is Kamogawa 2.0. Basically he used Tekken or what you wanna call it. There was a special frame for the punch that hit Woli in this spot, if you think back, and it was the last of the blows he landed, I think.

There's also a sketch off to the side of a spike driving in to a surface. Basically, this is a ridiculously penetrating supah punch that did some internal organ mangling to Woli. Maybe it needed some time to kick in, but it's killing him at this point.

There are a few familiar panels, too. Miguel is looking back at Ippo, and I THINK he is reminiscing about how he gloated to Kamogawa that he found PERFECT TENSEI BOXER :smuggo: :smuggo: Probably just realized that Kamogawa found someone better. Who can dominate the boxing world with his ROCK SOLID SKULL :black101:

Woli enters the next round with he and Miguel exchanging smiles. Either he has a plan, or he's simply admitting he's having fun I guess :v: Kamogawa tries to think of something to say to Ippo and comes up short. In the end, he barks an order out like "GO GET HIM" or something, and the chapter closes with Ippo going SURE :buddy:

All in all? I felt like this was actually a tolerable chapter. Now that we see the noose actually tightening, it is decent. Still, no excuse for half a god drat year of god moding.

Miura goes on multi-month breaks when he's stalling. Mori gives us the most excruciating fights ever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

quote:

notices Ippo's fist is bruised in to Woli's midsection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

:ohdear: Is that directed at me or Mori

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Geop posted:

:ohdear: Is that directed at me or Mori

I'd like to think it's directed at all of us for still reading this fight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

At Mori, cause goddrat that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Gee I sure hope Ippo doesn't touch anyone ever again with his suddenly awakened latent mutant ability to cause major internal injuries by merely touching people through his boxing gloves. Words cannot describe my utter disdain for this fight. I've swallowed a lot of horrendous shonen stereotypical poo poo over the years and this ranks right up there with some of the worst and in a chapter where I'm meant to be excited because stuff is actually happening.

(Directed at you as well a teeny tiny bit for translating it and making my heard hurt)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Geop posted:

891 Raw is out:

:sigh: Honestly, I sort of expected that. After the whole Woli levitating thing, I really didn't expect we'd end this fight without some bullshit from Ippo. What a poorly executed power-up though. You'd think a body blow able break ribs and the attacker's fist would be represented a bit more dramatically than a touch. I guess Ippo has moved up to the destructive power of one nanometer.

I think I'm done with this now. Been a good ride, but I think I'll get off.

VV. Well, maybe. Depends on how long until the end of this one. Next fight better start off strong though.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 12, 2010

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No don't. 1 horrendous fight in 2 decades is still a pretty good track record. If he does this poo poo again in the next fight I think it's safe to close the lid.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

The reason why his faster than sound punch didn't bother me as much is that I could easily rationalize it away as just being an exaggeration, and that in reality he just punched really fast. (I know it probably wasn't intended to be just an exaggeration, it's just easy to imagine it that way)

For someone sitting at a distance, a lot of punches will look like they're faster than sound naturally. I suppose if you have a really really fast punch it will just be a lot more noticeable.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

No don't. 1 horrendous fight in 2 decades is still a pretty good track record. If he does this poo poo again in the next fight I think it's safe to close the lid.

1 horrendous fight? Maybe you have a different definition for horrendous than me but I'm pretty sure that the last 3 fights qualify as poo poo at best.

Ippo hits so goddamn hard he destroys your pain receptors and you don't realize he is wrecking your rear end!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ippo hit Woli so hard that he is now disintegrating on a molecular level. I'm guessing that Ippo will soon progress to Riki-Oh levels of punching, forever disqualifying him from boxing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

trucutru posted:

1 horrendous fight? Maybe you have a different definition for horrendous than me but I'm pretty sure that the last 3 fights qualify as poo poo at best.

Except Scratch J and Malcom Gedo were actually interesting fights that finished in a timely fashion. This has just been dragging on and on and on and on and on and suddenly we get the 891 spoiler horeshit on top.
Ippo's hands are sooooooo powerful he merely needs to touch his opponents to shatter their bones! Think smaller! Tighter! Then your brain won't hurt so much when you try and comprehend this latest chain of events of a dozen touches to the side of Woli's body has somehow done more damage than the 20 loving rounds worth of face decimation done to Ippo.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 12, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nooooo no no nonono. Gedo was not an interesting fight. Gedo loving blew and if you think anyone would legitimately put up with loose gloves as an 'ability, well, I just don't know. That fight was so bad and it had the potential to be SO GOOD.

Scratch J was pretty baller though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gedo or Woli?

Gedo.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
Gedo > Woli fight I would tend to say. I could at least suspend belief long enough that the referee didn't notice that Gedo's gloves were loose (against the rules, sometimes you'll see a fighter loosening his gloves to catch a breather for a couple seconds). That and I can see how getting hit when you know you dodged it would really mess up a boxers rhythm.

Woli jumping off the corner posts and bouncing off the ropes ala: WWE professional wrestling, no ref would let that poo poo keep going on. That's just my two cents.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Cowboy posted:

Gedo > Woli fight I would tend to say. I could at least suspend belief long enough that the referee didn't notice that Gedo's gloves were loose (against the rules, sometimes you'll see a fighter loosening his gloves to catch a breather for a couple seconds). That and I can see how getting hit when you know you dodged it would really mess up a boxers rhythm.

Woli jumping off the corner posts and bouncing off the ropes ala: WWE professional wrestling, no ref would let that poo poo keep going on. That's just my two cents.

Yeah but that's like saying making GBS threads your pants is fine cuz diarehha in your pants is worse. They are both loving awful things and everyone involved should be ashamed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You know, after Woli even I feel a bit racist against whatever he is supposed to be (filipino, perhaps?). I'm all for committing atrocities against a nation of Wolis. Of course, they would probably jump over any non-ghost based ordinance using monkey powers. Launch a nuke and you'd see a million people jumping over it, even if it was a high altitude air burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I dunno I thought that whole Ippo being scarier than a guy shooting him was pretty cool