Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bling Bling
Jun 9, 2001
Women are bitches since they won't fuck me.
Good win tonight in indoor over the team that had been top of the table. Played defense almost the whole game, and took care of biz pretty drat well, if i do say so. Blocked shots with my rear end, foot, leg, and well, hand. 2-1 FT. Starting to limp from a late knee someone put into my calf, though. Could you run me a bath, dear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Shmoses posted:

That's loving cool. Will you post that poo poo?

Youtube channel, complete with bad speed up/slow mo and beats by Daft Punk.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 12, 2010

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Dang, I really wanted to post "JESUS SAVES!" but he turned out to be a bit of a poo poo goalie.

Cool highlights, though, thanks for sharing.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lazlow posted:

Dang, I really wanted to post "JESUS SAVES!" but he turned out to be a bit of a poo poo goalie.

Cool highlights, though, thanks for sharing.

Jesus is a okay but he really capitalises on the ability of his buddy who's really really good, Jesus is a bit of a cherry picker. There is also a guy in our league who is a dead ringer for James Blunt. He's wearing a maroon shirt.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bling Bling posted:

Good win tonight in indoor over the team that had been top of the table. Played defense almost the whole game, and took care of biz pretty drat well, if i do say so. Blocked shots with my rear end, foot, leg, and well, hand. 2-1 FT. Starting to limp from a late knee someone put into my calf, though. Could you run me a bath, dear?

God, I need a defender like you.

We played the first place team this week as well and finished 2-2. I had to make three p good saves in the last 45 seconds thanks to some comedy defending.

In reality, we should have had at least six goals. No one on this team can finish, apparently. Several empty net rebounds were slammed wide when a simple touch would have sufficed.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
This is pretty freaking awesome, but I don't understand how you can play on such a tiny court. You'd have no time on the ball whatsoever.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002
Are the becoming more and more common gloves with huge amounts of rubber surrounding the entire hand more comfortable then they look and initially feel? My preference for good tactile feel and frequently playing in 100 degree weather makes me have an instant dislike for that idea. Yet it's the only type currently being carried at any physical soccer shop around here.

Playing-wise this stretch of the past 4 weeks could be best described by the first goal of that period, we were playing 2 men short so I was trying to be a 2nd sweeper. Came out on a through ball on the wing about 35 yds out and 5 from the sideline. Slid through the ball, hammered the player busting my shin pretty bad and while limping up I watch see the ball slowly spinning into the far netting. No one has any idea how it all happened and everyone said it was a 1st for them, I'd love to know if there's an equivalent youtube of anything like it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shmoses posted:

This is pretty freaking awesome, but I don't understand how you can play on such a tiny court. You'd have no time on the ball whatsoever.

You have plenty of time on the ball in futsal. There's no contact "allowed" so players can't really be in your face defensively.

I want someone to make a Youtube compilation of me so I can get a big fat contract with a really stupid team.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

You have plenty of time on the ball in futsal. There's no contact "allowed" so players can't really be in your face defensively.

I want someone to make a Youtube compilation of me so I can get a big fat contract with a really stupid team.

essentially this, even though a good team will push up on you and all your team mates pretty quickly if you try and play out from the back and not give you much space to move.

having a 'keeper who's decent on the ball makes a difference as an outlet.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I picked up some Total 90s last weekend prior to my game. My old shoes were 1996 Adidas Predators, so they were falling apart a bit. If you don't know, these shoes are neon green and very visible. This older guy on my team showed up just as I was lacing up, "Oh no," he said, "I went and got some new shoes this weekend so my son could see me on the field," as he pulled out the exact same neon green pair of Total 90s.

At the halftime I could hear his son going on about how some guy on the field has the same shoes as daddy. :smith:

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!
I wore total 90's this season and had to bandage my heels and big toe for every game and practice because they gave my killer blisters. All I am saying is good luck.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Shrapnac posted:

No no, I play futsal, but an inline hockey rink, so it's bigger than that court. It just seems to me on a court that small it wouldn't be as much fun.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i've been playing goalkeeper for maybe two months now. after playing incredible amounts of fifa 10, i decided to sign up for "beginner soccer" at the local community college. today the coach asked me if i'd play keeper for his friend's team in a summer league and for the school's team in the fall. :downs:

he says i need to work on my "presence" in between the posts. whatever that means. the players say i need to work on catching low balls and say it's impossible to score high on me. probably because i'm tall at 6' 4.5"

it's time to buy some better gloves. i'm really leaning towards a high-end fingersave model. anyone have experience with these? i've bent my pinky and ring fingers on my right hand backwards so many times now. my pinky looks like a purple lil' smoky sausage. :(

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

CAMiasm posted:

he says i need to work on my "presence" in between the posts. whatever that means. the players say i need to work on catching low balls and say it's impossible to score high on me. probably because i'm tall at 6' 4.5"

Presence has always meant to me taking charge of your area physically, especially for high ball and crosses into and around the 6 yard box. Dont be afraid to throw your weight around, especially early. You've got the officials protecting you unless you do something really silly.

I've always been a fan of flattening someone if you get the chance. Not maliciously, just if they're going to stand their ground under a high ball and you've got to go through/over them to get a punch in dont be afraid to do that.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 13, 2010

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

hughsieblingwish posted:

Presence has always meant to me taking charge of your area physically, especially for high ball and crosses into and around the 6 yard box. Dont be afraid to throw your weight around, especially early. You've got the officials protecting you unless you do something really silly.

I've always been a fan of flattening someone if you get the chance. Not maliciously, just if they're going to stand their ground under a high ball and you've got to go through/over them to get a punch in dont be afraid to do that.

i do that all the time though. during the first time we played a "real" game i flattened at least 5 people. since then, all the players in the class are afraid to get anywhere near me and openly say so. i'm really not afraid to be aggressive as i have in excess of 6" and 75 lbs on everyone in the class.

he kept talking about looking "professional." i think i must look incredibly raw since i have no training.. the coach hasn't played keeper much at all so he can only give the most rudimentary advice. he did tell me to fist the ball more though.

i'm going to go the library tomorrow to see if they have any books or tapes on goalkeeping. any recommendations?

CAMiasm fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 13, 2010

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of shin splints? Bastards are the bane of my existence

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TyChan posted:

My legs are also still aching, which is surprising since I run regularly. I guess it's all the pivoting, sprinting, and direction changing.
Yeah, running's actually not great for football, because you use completely different muscles when playing, like you said with all the sudden sprinting, direction changing, etc.

I'll be going back to training this week after my toe injury picked up in Leeds, can't loving wait, I've felt so loving lazy lately. :( I was going to play indoor on Saturday but ended up not going in. I bought some new trainers yesterday too so I can't wait to try them out, hopefully now with the evenings stretching out we'll be playing Tuesday or Wednesday evenings in a park for a couple of hours.

Also Rhgr, I'm going to Galway with the team on the 24th April, I'd imagine we'll be looking at a trip to Cork after that, so probably early-mid May. :)

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

CAMiasm posted:

i do that all the time though. during the first time we played a "real" game i flattened at least 5 people. since then, all the players in the class are afraid to get anywhere near me and openly say so. i'm really not afraid to be aggressive as i have in excess of 6" and 75 lbs on everyone in the class.

he kept talking about looking "professional." i think i must look incredibly raw since i have no training.. the coach hasn't played keeper much at all so he can only give the most rudimentary advice. he did tell me to fist the ball more though.

i'm going to go the library tomorrow to see if they have any books or tapes on goalkeeping. any recommendations?

To be honest it sounds like he's not really sure what's wrong with your game despite the fact he sees room for improvement. It's possible he means you aren't communicating well with your defence though. As the keeper you have the advantage of not needing to turn around to see where everybody on the pitch is, so make use of that awareness. Keep in mind where each of your defenders are and where the biggest attacking threats are, and whenever one of your defenders has the ball find a pass for him to make in case he comes under pressure.

The reason keepers end up dealing with terrible backpasses is because the defender on the ball comes under pressure without having time to pick the pass he wants to make. Being able to look around and find a free teammate while simulataneously keeping hold of the ball while under pressure is not an easy skill and not one defenders typically possess - so make sure he doesn't panic by picking a pass out for him, whether it's out wide or to yourself you are in the best position to decide, so make the decision!

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Tongues posted:

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of shin splints? Bastards are the bane of my existence

I loving hear you, man. I've suffered from this forever, and only recently have I found some stretches that have all but eliminated them. The problem, though, is that "shin splints" is a generic term that applies to basically any lower leg pain, but the most common muscle affected is the tibialis anterior (the muscle that runs parallel to the shin bone, just outside it).

Here's an extremely lovely cellphone picture of the stretch:

Sit and cross your leg, putting your right ankle on your left knee. Take the top of your right foot in your left hand and place the heel of your right hand against the back of your right heel for leverage. Pull the top of your foot and toes to stretch that muscle, moving your foot around to where you feel the best stretch. Do this for about 10-20 seconds, firmly massage the muscle for a few more, then do the other leg. (You can't really do this with shoes/ankle guards/shin guards on, so do it before you gear up.)

Once I added this to my regular warm-up/stretch routine the pain all but disappeared. Remember to do standing calf/hamstring stretches as well.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

CAMiasm posted:

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/links.html

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
Cheers for that link Bobby, will come in tres useful.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Lazlow posted:

Stretch like a motherfucker.

http://www.physioroom.com/prevention/stretching1.php

Don't forget to cool down too.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Bacon of the Sea posted:

It's pretty comprehensive. I found it a couple of years ago and bookmarked it even though I hadn't played in goal in ages.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

Welp. My 7v7 session is ending next week. we are in 5th place (out of 5). 0-10-0, we get to play the "playoff" games aganst the loser of the 1v4 and 2v3 games that are tonight next week, back to back. This is going to be fun. Good thing is the weather is starting to turn, and we can get back outside and play on grass.

PS : need any new gear, I have some stuff for sale over in SA Mart.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm a goalkeepers coach at a pretty successful college. Would be happy to answer any questions you have.

As you get more comfortable with the game communicating will become much easier for you. Now you probably dont really know what to say because you have no idea what is about to happen. Eventually though you will be able to talk to your defenders "Rich left shoulder" if you want them to pick up a man, or "Rich watch that back post run" if you see a guy making the run. Your ability to communicate is probably 80% of your job.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 14, 2010

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

PhillyLucky posted:

Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm a goalkeepers coach at a pretty successful college. Would be happy to answer any questions you have.

As you get more comfortable with the game communicating will become much easier for you. Now you probably dont really know what to say because you have no idea what is about to happen. Eventually though you will be able to talk to your defenders "Rich left shoulder" if you want them to pick up a man, or "Rich watch that back post run" if you see a guy making the run. Your ability to communicate is probably 80% of your job.

yeah, communication is a big problem for me. i see what's going to happen, but i don't know how to say it succinctly enough. i need to learn the lingo

what's your opinion of fingersave gloves?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Personally I'm not a fan of finger protection except for indoor games where you might face a lot of hard shots from close range. They've always felt restrictive on my hands.

https://www.great-save.com is a great place to look at gloves. The owner puts up video reviews of most of the new releases, and the prices are usually great even when you factor in overseas shipping.

https://www.theglovebag.com is another good place to look for reviews/info.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Lazlow posted:

:words:

loving yes! Cheers man, this is actually right where I was having issues. Lucky you came along, I ran into my coach today and he told me we've got a practice match next week......against a team in State 1, roughly 6 divisions above ours. Gonna get proper reamed. Anyone got any good pointers for these situations? If it wasn't a friendly match I'd be severely ramping up the physicality. Maybe some melbourne goons who've taken on the geelong rangers before?

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

PhillyLucky posted:

Cheers chap! I'll get back to you when I've had enough playtime under my belt to realise where I'm going wrong.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My futsal team won 4-2 tonight after coming back from 2-0 down. I scored a brace, including the winner :smug:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I just signed up for a team for next season after a 7 year break from football. The first training was last monday and now I can hardly lift my legs. Every single muscle hurts :(

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

CAMiasm posted:

what's your opinion of fingersave gloves?

They are alot different then other gloves. I wore them occasionally in high school, but its something you have to get used too. Closing your fist when you have them on feels a little awkward They also dont have the fingersave in the thumb which is probably the portion of your hands that will get jammed the most.

I was always a big fan of Nike gloves, maybe it was just a confidence thing but I felt like they fit my hands pretty well and were usually well made. I got a pair of Reusch's last year with our soccer budget in case I had to step in goal in practice and I'm not really a fan.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
^^^

i've been researching gloves lately and haven't found a single recommendation for fingersave gloves outside of indoor soccer. right now i'm leaning towards sells wrap

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Tongues posted:

loving yes! Cheers man, this is actually right where I was having issues. Lucky you came along, I ran into my coach today and he told me we've got a practice match next week......against a team in State 1, roughly 6 divisions above ours. Gonna get proper reamed. Anyone got any good pointers for these situations? If it wasn't a friendly match I'd be severely ramping up the physicality. Maybe some melbourne goons who've taken on the geelong rangers before?

No prob. Like identikit said, stretch like a mofo before you play, a dynamic warm-up/stretch routine is ideal (as opposed to just standing there and stretching for half an hour), and remember the cool-down stretching, too. Good luck with the reaming.

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008

hughsieblingwish posted:

essentially this, even though a good team will push up on you and all your team mates pretty quickly if you try and play out from the back and not give you much space to move.

having a 'keeper who's decent on the ball makes a difference as an outlet.

You aren't kidding, we lost the last game of our league season 3 - 2 after a tight match that we were winning for a long time because of this. They got two soft goals late on and then in the final 5 minutes our keeper came out with the ball as the last man, with the rest of the team up the pitch waiting for a pass to get a quick winning goal. He dithered on it for ages, with all of us open and waiting for a pass, before panicking and clumsily trying to blast it away as the rapidly approaching opposition player closed him down. The ball just hit the attacker and bounced kindly for him to go sprinting up the pitch. The keeper raced after him and forced him wide only for the guy to very deliberately slow down, nutmeg him and then walk the ball into the net. I watched all this from up the other end as striker and it has the be the most :ughh: thing I've seen in a while.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, running's actually not great for football, because you use completely different muscles when playing, like you said with all the sudden sprinting, direction changing, etc.

I've noticed this as well, and I have to say the best exercise/fitness training for football I've found is Squash. It's a really good workout for your legs and replicates exactly the same kind of bursts and turns you end up doing on the pitch. The first recovery period is hell though.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck
Had a decent kickabout today. Only trouble was the school was shut so any balls going over the fence into the school grounds meant climbing over a lot. Was the only person running my arse off and throwing myself at shots. Rolled my ankle getting a block in and stupidly played on anyway. Can hardly walk now :(

Still it was awesome. I loving love football :woop:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Played for a friend's indoor team today. Coed, and all but one of the girls didn't show up, meaning we had to play with 4 on at time (3 guys, 1 girl) and the girl had to play the entire match without a substitution.

Since myself and the two other gentlemen I knew where the most athletic and experienced on the team, we pretty much played the entire game, only subbing briefly (everyone else wanted this, don't worry).

Down 4 to 2 at the half, but once a mate's wife and son showed up he got some sort of superhuman ability and ended up scoring 4 goals, leading us to an 8-4 victory.

The goal differential probably should have been a lot more, since we had numerous occasions of shots bouncing off the crossbar, going wide, and I had at least two occasions where I sent shots a foot from the goal upward at a 80 degree angle into the top netting. Not my best game, but a win's a win, eh.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Over the course of this thread you've done a lot to convince me that you are in fact Emile Ivanhoe Heskey.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Well lost our playoff game 1-0. We won our first then lost our second. First game I played a couple ridiculous flicks as the target man. Second game we pretty much just hoofed it to the corners and didnt really possess much.

Outdoor starts next week and we will get absolutely crushed. Our keeper is tremendous at indoor, but outdoor is so much more difficult for inexperienced keepers. We also use the boards on just about every pass and just kick and run half the time. That wont work in outdoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i dropped $130 on gloves today

uhlsport ABSOLUTGRIP Ergonomic SUPPORTFRAME X-Change

i probably could've gotten them cheaper. i jumped the gun at the local soccershop because i had practice in less than an hour.

i like them a lot though. they have a very thin fingersave frame that i've taken out. i like that i have the option to slide the frame in if i'm going to be taking a lot of hard shots from short range.. whether it be in practice or indoors. the grip is ridiculous! i practiced with them a little bit before i switched to my $60 dollar adidas ones for PK training (i'm so sore :cry:). the difference in grip was so noticable! it felt like i'd rubbed vaseline on the adidas gloves. it was really that noticable.

my adidas gloves disintegrated in less than two months, but i'd bet that's because i didn't take care of them. i've looked up some guides on glove maintenance, and i will be following them to a T to keep my new gloves in tip top shape. i'm going to try to make them last as long as possible. for $130 they better lost a long time!!

what do my fellow goalkeepers do to maintain their gloves?