Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Scaevolus posted:

In the video it seemed to vary from .5 to 20 fps.
The parameters varied wildly though. I guess the question is if it could be scaled down enough to run in a game environment without losing too much of the effect.

Particle systems that simulate turbulence are still a fairly elusive thing at the moment, consider that fire/flame/smoke are some of the main things that stick out like a sore thumb as looking cheesy and unrealistic even in otherwise extremely well-produced games.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

bitreaper posted:

Spent a few months working on this, going back to it once I finish all the arts courses they want me to take to round out my degree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q13hUZuug8E

That's awesome! My friend actually sent me that video last night, didn't realize it was from this thread. Guess you guys are trying to be first to market for game's mdidleware?

Short derail, what's the name of the artist your avatar is based on? I love his work but totally can't remember his name.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Dr. Glasscock posted:

That's awesome! My friend actually sent me that video last night, didn't realize it was from this thread. Guess you guys are trying to be first to market for game's mdidleware?

Short derail, what's the name of the artist your avatar is based on? I love his work but totally can't remember his name.

Beksinski. Also that fire/smoke looks awesome. Turbulence in general is pretty fascinating to watch.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

bitreaper posted:

Spent a few months working on this, going back to it once I finish all the arts courses they want me to take to round out my degree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q13hUZuug8E

So I take it this has been savagely optimized, then?

bitreaper
Jan 1, 2007

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

So I take it this has been savagely optimized, then?

It has, actually :D I got a 16x speedup on my quad-core machine one day by savagely optimizing it. Also you guys are still dicks; I was a poor freshman, bright-eyed and innocent, and you mocked my enthusiasm. Dicks, I say! Dicks.

And yeah, we've built a very similar product for game middleware, it runs in real-time and interacts realistically with arbitrarily deforming meshes. I can't say much about it, but it should start to appear in the next year or two. I will say that we got to play with the full source of a very, very expensive game engine that shall remain nameless, entirely for free; that was amazing.

Thomson
Aug 6, 2004
OMG ROFL MY WAFFLE
I've been wanting to learn RoR for the longest time, and so I came up with this very simple idea of a public, one item To-do list:

http://www.theonlydayistoday.com

Eventually I'd like to have e-mail notifications and the ability to vote items up or down.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Working on a cheesy Choose your own adventure, TF2 Style. It's not for any purpose besides self-entertainment and helping me learn coding.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

This is really going to help me with Text and code organization, that's for sure.

Added a background to a Starcraft themed Space Invaders rip off:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 11, 2010

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Click here for the full 1192x808 image.

Volume rendering is awesome and CUDA is a selling point for nVidia cards in and of its own, even if the cards themselves are crappy.

Although this assignment made me realize that 1D transfer functions are pretty much useless...

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

Click here for the full 680x702 image.

I'm thinking about making a multitouch DJ interface for my 4th year project and I wanted to prototype the interface. Originally I was using SuperCollider to mess with the pitch but I didn't like the results I was getting and using OSC is awful, plus I would need a separate library to get PCM data, etc... I'm not using FMOD, and while the sound still isn't perfect (really have to do something about pitch changes over time so it doesn't sound like digital crap) the interface is a breeze to use.

Bonus points if you can guess what generic loop I'm using to test.

Commander Keen
Oct 6, 2003

The doomed voyage of the Obsessivo-Compulsivo will haunt me forever

Scarboy posted:

Bonus points if you can guess what generic loop I'm using to test.

Amen break?

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

Commander Keen posted:

Amen break?

Indeed

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Scarboy posted:

Click here for the full 680x702 image.

I'm thinking about making a multitouch DJ interface for my 4th year project and I wanted to prototype the interface.
I'm curious, why are you displaying the waveform as if it were a record? A digital interface isn't constrained by the limitations of physical media.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

antpocas posted:

I'm curious, why are you displaying the waveform as if it were a record? A digital interface isn't constrained by the limitations of physical media.

Maybe it's a loop? I saw DJ Shadow live (it was loving amazing) and he creates loops while he's mixing by putting masking tape on the records, so when it spins around the tape bumps the needle back to the start of the loop. I know nothing about mixing music so I'm probably way off here, but that's what I was reminded of when I saw the waveform curved in a loop like that, with the red line being that piece of masking tape.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 12, 2010

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!
The reason I went with a circular interface is because I want to try to make the multitouch interface feel like the real thing. It'll probably never feel (scratching dynamics, etc...) like real vinyl but it's worth a shot. If all else fails, displaying the waveform in a straight line is trivial.

The red line just acts like a marker, as the record spins at 1.5rps, half as fast as vinyl, the old wave gets overwritten. This way you can see what audio is coming up. The next thing I want to do is show a little bit of the wave before the red line so that backcueing will be simpler.

It's been a fun little distraction for a few days and is really cool to play with. It's a shame it kinda sounds like digital crap right now.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Commander Keen posted:

Amen break?

Wait, wha- how...? How in the world? Just because it's a famous clip and a lucky guess or did you actually ID it?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Factor Mystic posted:

Wait, wha- how...? How in the world? Just because it's a famous clip and a lucky guess or did you actually ID it?

If you go through it in your head while you trace around the waveform, the beats line up pretty plausibly

Was my first guess too. Barring that, I don't think I would've figured it out though.

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);
This is something I've been planning of doing for ages and I finally got started on it.

A multiplatform player / authoring tool for visual effects / demoscene productions / any OpenGL work. Supports syncpoints
with a timeline, dynamically loading the effect files runtime (all the GL code is done with Lua) and sound hooks and playback from FMOD.

The tool consists of three parts:

- Compiled executable with FMOD interface and Lua interpreter. Pure C, ported to OSX, Linux and Windows.
- The timeline and runtime debugging features done with Lua.
- Effect code files done with Lua.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Da Gaspodin fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 13, 2010

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!

Da Gaspodin posted:

This is something I've been planning of doing for ages and I finally got started on it.

A multiplatform player / authoring tool for visual effects / demoscene productions / any OpenGL work. Supports syncpoints
with a timeline, dynamically loading the effect files runtime (all the GL code is done with Lua) and sound hooks and playback from FMOD.

The tool consists of three parts:

- Compiled executable with FMOD interface and Lua interpreter. Pure C, ported to OSX, Linux and Windows.
- The timeline and runtime debugging features done with Lua.
- Effect code files done with Lua.

I'm probably not the only person here who would totally appreciate a video of this in action.

dexter
Jun 24, 2003

clockwork automaton posted:

I honestly has no idea what is going on in regards to the iPhone app. I'm pretty sure they just target the most recent version. Reasoning behind that is "why not upgrade?".

3.1.3 adds nothing except a battery fix and no one had released a jailbreak for it at that point.

Commander Keen
Oct 6, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

I wrote some loop processing stuff a while back and used it as my sample clip, so I'm quite familiar with the waveform.

Bonus : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

I was in the class where that project was unveiled

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);

LOLLERZ posted:

I'm probably not the only person here who would totally appreciate a video of this in action.
I'm working on a proper frame-by-frame output support as well, but in the mean time my solution is to use kkapture (by one of the guys who made kkrieger) which seems to work (and is miles ahead of FRAPS). The only downside with it is that it's only useful with programs that do not require user input runtime (like mine in playback mode).

When we have the syncing features done I'll post some sample videos here. Could anyone recommend a GOOD, preferably FREE screencast / video capture program for OSX where I could demonstrate the features and speak to the mic while doing it, explaining what I'm doing?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I don't know how good it is these days since it's shot up in price, but Snapz was the canonical screen/vidcap program back in the Classic days. There's a trial version that you could use.

Commander Keen
Oct 6, 2003

If you're running Snow Leopard, QuickTime has screen recording w/ microphone input built in now. Seems to work pretty well.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

dexter posted:

3.1.3 adds nothing except a battery fix and no one had released a jailbreak for it at that point.

So here's the deal with that: we don't care about jailbroken phones.

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);

Commander Keen posted:

If you're running Snow Leopard, QuickTime has screen recording w/ microphone input built in now. Seems to work pretty well.

Thanks! It seems to work fine (though my actual demo effects run with a choppy framerate, but it doesn't matter).

Here's a short video where I explain how the current (read: very early and feature lacking) skeleton engine works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mq_cgwdpaQ

I forgot to mention that the "player" with very easily portable and is just dependant on lua and fmod, all GL/glut Lua libs can be distributed as dll/bundle/so-files.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm making a Hacker News reader that operates by manipulating the content bodies of replies by handling requests through a custom NSURLProtocol, so that all the features of the site don't need to be handled or dropped.

So far, the CSS file's filtered to multiply every absolute font size by 7/4, and the body is given a black background for good luck. The html content is filtered to have the table stretch to 95% instead of 85%, and to point to the CSS file through hn://news.ycombinator.com/news.css instead of http://.

Here's what the unfiltered version would look like:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
You guys do a lot of advanced stuff that just goes right over my head :saddowns:

Anyways:

Creating my biggest project yet in Django. It's an online Portal for my fraternity. I already have a working version with quite terrible PHP, so Django is just incredible. I'm still getting used to it, but things are already coming together.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 16, 2010

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Doh004 posted:

You guys do a lot of advanced stuff that just goes right over my head :saddowns:

Anyways:

Creating my biggest project yet in Django. It's an online Portal for my fraternity. I already have a working version with quite terrible PHP, so Django is just incredible. I'm still getting used to it, but things are already coming together.

Sup Lambda buddy?

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Anyways:

Sup RPI goon. If you need a Djangonaut on campus feel free to email me.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Ok, now the Hacker News reader analyzes differences and highlights new comments posted since the last time you visited the thread.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

dancavallaro posted:

Sup Lambda buddy?

Always good to see another brother around here :)

king_kilr posted:

Sup RPI goon. If you need a Djangonaut on campus feel free to email me.

If I run into any major roadblocks, I definitely will. I'm just doing the project in my free time and we'll see how much coding I want to do this summer when I'm not working, but it's definitely a fun thing to do.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

shrughes posted:

Ok, now the Hacker News reader analyzes differences and highlights new comments posted since the last time you visited the thread.

A usability note, I couldn't notice anything highlighted here.

Edit: Oh wait, that center comment is slightly whiter, I see it now. Might want to make that more obvious?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Pfhreak posted:

A usability note, I couldn't notice anything highlighted here.

Edit: Oh wait, that center comment is slightly whiter, I see it now. Might want to make that more obvious?

Seems obvious to me.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Maybe from certain angles or monitor settings (Or maybe your eyes are just that awesome!), but that difference is way too subtle.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

shrughes posted:

Seems obvious to me.

Also, the programmer always considers their own solutions to be usable. I didn't mean to step on toes or anything, just providing my experience with it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

shrughes posted:

Seems obvious to me.

It wasn't obvious to me at all.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I didn't see it until it was pointed out. (Side usability note: as much as 10% of the population has some deficiency of color perception, which can make conveying information through color a problem)

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Come on guys, it goes from #FFFFFF to #F6F6EF. Totally obvious.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
It's not my fault you're all optically challenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
Don't worry - it would've only been important if people were going to use it.