Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

Long bunny is loooooong (or laid down very flat with her chin on the ground :3: )

I'm so in love with Cilantro. She's a non-lop version of Portia and long loafs are the best. Like French Bread :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.

okiecompy posted:

I sewed this little dress for her for easter!

Oh, good lord.

Every time I see that rabbit I want to picture mine in an outfit. I'll dress her up as Indiana Jones for Halloween. Because she's adventurous.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
Does anyone else find that their bunnies really like beer/coffee/whatever humans are drinking? I guess it's the sweetness, but Fat Butt seems to love beer in particular:

Our bunnies also really enjoy their outdoor pen:

And their 25 new chicken pals:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Usually my rabbit is really grossed out by human food it seems, except for when I'm having salad of course.

And oh they are very pretty rabbits :)

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Hey guys, does anybody in the Chicago area want some rabbit supplies?

I have 2 unopened boxes of the old Target grids (and some dowels, if you want them, too), 5 lbs of 3rd cut kleenmama timothy hay, 5lbs of 3rd cut kleenmama bluegrass, and about 1/3 of a bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics pellets. Oh, and a small amount of recycled paper litter.

Fenarisk had said he was going to come and get it, but I haven't heard from him in 2 weeks and would like to get this stuff out of my house. He had agreed to $60 for the whole shebang.

Anybody else want to come and take this stuff off my hands?

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

okiecompy posted:

SAMe really loves my roomie's pajamma pants and sweatshirts that she tends to wear to bed, I think it's cuz they're probably kind of sweaty

all about the salt content.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Dr. Octagon posted:

Does anyone else find that their bunnies really like beer/coffee/whatever humans are drinking? I guess it's the sweetness, but Fat Butt seems to love beer in particular:

Our bunnies also really enjoy their outdoor pen:

And their 25 new chicken pals:

Harper loves coffee beans. We found this out unintentionally (dropped a few and missed one).

The Sinner King
Apr 8, 2007

...and as they fall, they're praying to me...
Contributing to the house bunny love!

Our house bunny Willow! She is a 4-5ish year old Himalayan Dwarf my wife found in the street during a rainstorm, so she ended up living with us after we couldn't find her owners. We used to let her have free roam 24/7, but the carpet in our new apartment tastes too good, so she's only out when we're home now. We just got her a new buddy, Nibbler, a male lionhead rabbit about 2 years old, but he needs some serious training.

Willow on her new couch, being a happy bun. She sits and watches TV with us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yz2QCv-Bug

edit: its also super hard to make her sit still for holiday photo ops.

The Sinner King fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 11, 2010

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

How hot is too hot for a rabbit? It was pretty hot here, low 90s, and bun still sat in direct sunlight on the bed for most of the afternoon. He has black fur too so he was quite warm.
Normally he is moved to the basement where its cooler in the summer, but he has less room to run around and has to be confined to his cage more. Should I bother doing this anymore? Aside from shade and water, anything else I can do to help him cool off?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
85 degrees F is about max for a rabbit. They can deal much better with cool and cold. Get some frozen water bottles and set them beside your rabbit so they can stay cool.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

The Sinner King posted:

Willow on her new couch, being a happy bun. She sits and watches TV with us!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yz2QCv-Bug

She's so happy :3:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro's been practicing her relaxed positions.

Half-flop

Chin down

Full flop

Edit: of course, after she's all cute, now she's sitting in her cage and not eating. :ohdear: 1ml Metoclopramide administered.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 14, 2010

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro's been practicing her relaxed positions.

Half-flop

Chin down

Full flop

Edit: of course, after she's all cute, now she's sitting in her cage and not eating. :ohdear: 1ml Metoclopramide administered.

:3: :3: :3: I am familiar with all of these relaxed positions myself. I need to catch Portia on camera.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pseudonordic posted:

Update: She's out of the cage, in the living room and slowly nibbling some greens. :ohdear:

Re-update: We have poops in the litter!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 14, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

pseudonordic posted:

Re-update: We have poops in the litter!

YAY! Updates please.

edit:

Bitsy sitting on my boyfriend's back.

Bitsy looking like a chubby fat fat (the angle is all wrong!)

Paterson loves my boyfriend.

luscious fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 14, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

YAY! Updates please.

edit:

Bitsy sitting on my boyfriend's back.

Bitsy looking like a chubby fat fat (the angle is all wrong!)

Paterson loves my boyfriend.

D'awww super cute buns!

Pre-bedtime update: More poops, appetite back. Bedtime pellets and water administered.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Given how half this thread is squeeing about cute rabbits and the other half is pleading for poop and cheering when said poop appears, I am giving second thoughts to adopting a rabbit.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ShadowCatboy posted:

Given how half this thread is squeeing about cute rabbits and the other half is pleading for poop and cheering when said poop appears, I am giving second thoughts to adopting a rabbit.

Rabbits are worthwhile pets who are also delicate flowers. You scare a rabbit? It could die of fright. Pick it up and it could kick hard enough to break it's back and die. Rabbit is in pain? You'll never hear a peep and then it stops eating and, you guessed it, it could die.

Owning a rabbit is not for the faint of heart.

Any way, back to the cutness and poops.

Morning update: Lot of poops! Yay!

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Rabbits are worthwhile pets who are also delicate flowers. You scare a rabbit? It could die of fright. Pick it up and it could kick hard enough to break it's back and die. Rabbit is in pain? You'll never hear a peep and then it stops eating and, you guessed it, it could die.

Owning a rabbit is not for the strong of logic.

I've said it time and time again- I loved my rabbit dearly. I miss her very much. But I will NOT be adopting another. Bowser was very well-behaved for a rabbit, and she was still a total pain in the rear end.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I am currently trying to find a rabbit that would be a suitable mate for Harper. I found a rabbit in Nebraska (I live in Fargo) that would have been perfect, but not listed on the petfinder page were some very important points: she's never been around other rabbits, has serious socialization issues, bites more often than Harper, and isn't litter trained at all. Harper is being prepared to go free range and we need a rabbit friend that can be trusted not to poop everywhere. I get the feeling the shelter made no attempts at litter training her.

Harper is a biter and kind of an aggressive rear end in a top hat to boot. I don't think we could stand living with two aggressive rabbits that bite.

The most worrisome issue was the poor socialization. The female bun we were considering came to the shelter severely underweight (Giant Papillon), so it was obvious her original owners did not take care of her. Poor socialization and mistrust continue to this day for her.

I wanted to give her a home so badly but we also have to consider our needs and the needs of Harper.

On the plus side, Harper's temporary increase in aggression has ceased. In fact, he's gotten abruptly better in general. The biggest change was not locking him up at night so he could play in his room. We're going to be making him a new cage. In fact, I'm going to post a thread about it because we're making a kickass penthouse out of wood so it looks like a really nice piece of furniture but functions as a huge rabbit cage. My husband has drawn it up in AutoCAD, so I'll figure out a way of posting the blueprints in this thread so you guys can help make tweaks.

Edit: We stopped locking him up at night because he was NOT wanting to go back in his cage when we needed him to.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 14, 2010

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

pseudonordic posted:

Owning a rabbit is also not for those that are poop-phobic. They are poop machines. They make so much poop you will wonder how they do it. You'll feed them a pile of hay and the amount of poop they create doesn't seem to match up. You'll swear they crap more than they eat.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Gumby Orgy posted:

I am currently trying to find a rabbit that would be a suitable mate for Harper.

Fargo ND or some other Fargo? If the former, there's a really good rabbit rescue about 4 hours away in Minnesota. They'll probably require you to travel to them with Harper to do an intro, but they won't mislead you about their adoptables, and they won't let you leave without being pretty certain that the rabbit you're adopting will work with Harper. It's also possible that they have foster homes closer if traveling is an issue.

I've got a sweet, healthy 7 year old female I'd be interested in placing (she lost her boyfriend in January and I haven't succeeded in bonding her to anyone else here) but I'm in central Wisconsin, so that could only be a last resort.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

alucinor posted:

Fargo ND or some other Fargo? If the former, there's a really good rabbit rescue about 4 hours away in Minnesota. They'll probably require you to travel to them with Harper to do an intro, but they won't mislead you about their adoptables, and they won't let you leave without being pretty certain that the rabbit you're adopting will work with Harper. It's also possible that they have foster homes closer if traveling is an issue.

I've got a sweet, healthy 7 year old female I'd be interested in placing (she lost her boyfriend in January and I haven't succeeded in bonding her to anyone else here) but I'm in central Wisconsin, so that could only be a last resort.

Fargo, ND, yes. I'm absolutely okay with traveling if it means a good match for Harper and my husband and I. There are a few other shelters closer than that but one of them is run by a local woman and she doesn't have any rabbits currently (guinea pigs are currently needing fosters, though). There is also a humane society shelter in Grand Forks, ND that has rabbits but so far it has been bust.

Thank you for putting in a good word for that shelter. You never know sometimes! I feel like the Nebraska shelter, in an attempt to home the rabbit I was looking at, was going to leave out all possible negatives unless explicitly asked. I'm glad I asked. Perhaps the write up online was just bad?

Edit: Harper is surprisingly good at traveling. He's so fastidious about his house training that he will holds it until he gets his litterbox.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I just shot the rabbit rescue you suggested an email :3:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

alucinor posted:

If all else fails, it would be a good time to check out the Leinenkugel brewery in Chippewa Falls, WI :D

Alucinor, what do you think of these rabbits as possible matches for Harper:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/13735447?recno=7
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/14539817?recno=24
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15936580?recno=4

I know what to look for when things aren't going to work out. So, strangely enough I'm a little less familiar with what to look for when things are going right. When I finally get to have a bun-to-bun meeting, what GOOD signs should I look for (besides no bad signs)?

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 15, 2010

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Gumby Orgy posted:

If all else fails, it would be a good time to check out the Leinenkugel brewery in Chippewa Falls, WI :D

I know what to look for when things aren't going to work out. So, strangely enough I'm a little less familiar with what to look for when things are going right. When I finally get to have a bun-to-bun meeting, what GOOD signs should I look for (besides no bad signs)?

First one: "alpha", might be a big bitch to Harper.
Second: likes being groomed, great sign
Third: goddamn what a lardass; also, lookit dem eyebrows!! But she lived with another rabbit till recently, which is a good sign.

I'd go with 2 then 3.

Best choices will be rabbits who have previously lived with other rabbits, especially in large groups or serially with singles. They have a ton of english spots right now; if I recall correctly they came from a big hoarder bust so probably most of those guys lived together at one point.

Good signs include: grooming the face (even if forced by banana smearing), sharing pellets or veggies side-by-side, mounting with no struggling by the "bottom", chasing which results in one rabbit always giving way to the other. Basically anything other than blood and flying fur is good. I posted a fairly detailed intro post here which may offer some more insights. Overall, you will NOT see equality at the beginning of a good pairing - you'll see one rabbit being the other's bitch. As long as the bitch doesn't complain, it's a good start.

Like all rescues, this group does write their stories to paint the buns in the best possible light, but they're good, honest folks in my experience. They'll tell you the full story once they have the hook set. ;)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Gumby Orgy posted:

Get that fatass bunny!

Its dewlap looks like a neckbeard.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Kerfuffle posted:

Get that fatass bunny!

Its dewlap looks like a neckbeard.

If she was a good match for Harper, I'd change her name to Curvy Goonette.

Edit: Harper is not a fatass, so she'd be enormous compared to him. ...reminds me of a nursery rhyme...

Other possibilities:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/11601709

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15381624

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15408591

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 15, 2010

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Gumby Orgy posted:

If she was a good match for Harper, I'd change her name to Curvy Goonette.

get the chubby fat fat. That's what I call my girl rabbit.

edit: whose name is Bitsy.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
binkying this thread

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Any of you guys ever trade bunny blankets with somebody that owns a bunny of the opposite sex? After he sniffed it a little bit we started petting him with the blanket. Eventually he ended up completely wrapped in a burrito, acting really lovable.

:3:

He's a really hyper little guy, but something about that blanket turned him into mush.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ok, gonna post this again just in case anybody missed it and is interested. It's really bumming me out to have this stuff around, so if nobody here wants it, I'll be dropping it off at Red Door animal shelter.

Melicious posted:

Hey guys, does anybody in the Chicago area want some rabbit supplies?

I have 2 unopened boxes of the old Target grids (and some dowels, if you want them, too), 5 lbs of 3rd cut kleenmama timothy hay, 5lbs of 3rd cut kleenmama bluegrass, and about 1/3 of a bag of Oxbow Bunny Basics pellets. Oh, and a small amount of recycled paper litter.

Fenarisk had said he was going to come and get it, but I haven't heard from him in 2 weeks and would like to get this stuff out of my house. He had agreed to $60 for the whole shebang.

Anybody else want to come and take this stuff off my hands?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Melicious posted:

Ok, gonna post this again just in case anybody missed it and is interested. It's really bumming me out to have this stuff around, so if nobody here wants it, I'll be dropping it off at Red Door animal shelter.

In CA otherwise I would take it :(

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

Any of you guys ever trade bunny blankets with somebody that owns a bunny of the opposite sex? After he sniffed it a little bit we started petting him with the blanket. Eventually he ended up completely wrapped in a burrito, acting really lovable.

:3:

Oh my god those pictures are just the cutest thing ever, especially because your rabbit looks so much like mine :3:

As for your question I would have to say I can be a blanket substitute. I keep my (male) rabbit upstairs in my bedroom, my flatmate keeps her (female) rabbit downstairs in the living room. And of course I pet my rabbit a lot, a good way to get his scent all over me. Whenever I go downstairs my flatmate's rabbit will come bouncing up and snuggle the hell out of me.

Whenever we put the actual rabbits together she will pester him until he gets upset and runs away (the big wuss), but when she smells him on me she loves it.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
So uh...how do you guys manage to keep things made of soft, easily chewed upon cloth near your buns without it leading to ingested fiber? :ohdear:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

bitprophet posted:

So uh...how do you guys manage to keep things made of soft, easily chewed upon cloth near your buns without it leading to ingested fiber? :ohdear:

Remove it when you aren't monitoring. Easy peasy.

Edit: Harper is shedding like I've never seen an animal shed before. I'm using the furminator but it isn't having a huge effect on the amount of hair he's losing in the mean time. I gave him a shower today and he clogged my drain. Is there anything to help? I've started to see a lot of hair in his poop, so this is of concern.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gumby Orgy posted:

Remove it when you aren't monitoring. Easy peasy.

Edit: Harper is shedding like I've never seen an animal shed before. I'm using the furminator but it isn't having a huge effect on the amount of hair he's losing in the mean time. I gave him a shower today and he clogged my drain. Is there anything to help? I've started to see a lot of hair in his poop, so this is of concern.

Aside from aggressive grooming, you could try papaya or pineapple to introduce enzymes that help rabbits digest the stuff that gets stuck to the hair while in the GI tract.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Papaya is great stuff. Thanks!

Mr. GO and I are grooming the hell out of Harper about twice a day on average, so we aren't slacking in that department.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 23, 2010

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
I've noticed for a few days now Cosmo has had this patch of fur on his front, right leg that looked like it was wet. At first I thought he just spilled some water on himself from his bowl or bottle, but it's still there. I held him down today and tried to look at it. The fur is hard and he flinches when I touched it (of course he was flinching a lot no matter what).

Is this a pee-burn? I don't understand how he could get a pee-burn on the way on the upper part of his front leg, but I don't know what else it could be. If that is what it is, how do you treat it?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Also, he's been scratching his ears a lot lately. I read online that could be ear mites. :( Poor little guy. Any remedies we should do in addition to the store-bought ear mite drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Blakles posted:

I've noticed for a few days now Cosmo has had this patch of fur on his front, right leg that looked like it was wet. At first I thought he just spilled some water on himself from his bowl or bottle, but it's still there. I held him down today and tried to look at it. The fur is hard and he flinches when I touched it (of course he was flinching a lot no matter what).

Is this a pee-burn? I don't understand how he could get a pee-burn on the way on the upper part of his front leg, but I don't know what else it could be. If that is what it is, how do you treat it?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Also, he's been scratching his ears a lot lately. I read online that could be ear mites. :( Poor little guy. Any remedies we should do in addition to the store-bought ear mite drops?

Matted fur hurts. That isn't a pee burn in all likelihood. Get him to a groomer or a vet to have the area shaved. Monitor it in case there is an infection where the fur was, otherwise it should heal well on its own. Are you sure it is ear mites? They have a very specific look inside the ear, and is very uncommon unless he's been around infected animals. I would take him to a vet to make sure it isn't an ear infection and to check on the sore area.

The other thing you could do besides have the area shaved would be to get bunny safe shampoo and give him a bath. Other bunny fanciers will probably not like the idea, but a bath might help untangle matted fur. Also, groom him very regularly with a slicker brush or something similar to keep his coat healthy. He doesn't look like he's grooming his legs too well and has coat staining on his lower jaw. How old is he?