Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Globular Fellow posted:

I dunno I thought that whole Ippo being scarier than a guy shooting him was pretty cool

The end of the battles even the bad ones tend to be pretty good, or at least... do something. It's the middle part where ippo gets constantly womped by clowns that blows the most chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I would've been a lot happier with the idea that Ippo has unintentionally used the one boxing strategy that hasn't been covered so far in the manga because it's a pretty boring way to win a fight: Making the other guy punch himself out.

But apparently he is now magic.

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
Honestly at this point im hoping Ippo just punches Woli hard enough that he turns into paste. Hate this fight so much.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Zahrkon posted:

Honestly at this point im hoping Ippo just punches Woli hard enough that he turns into paste. Hate this fight so much.

Woli is gonna fall over before we get to see him get smacked in the face. We all want Ippo to get all Dempsey Roll on Woli's face for about 3 minutes straight, but I'm willing to bet that we'll be lucky to get even one big hit in his smug loving face.

I think Woli could almost rival Aizen in smug-face.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Going to agree with Cowboy in that I could suspend disbelief for Gedo, but at the same time I decided to look back and take stock of what's gone down since before the Woli fight, because some of it runs together in my memory.

Going backwards from before Woli:

Mashiba's return - Showed Mashiba trying to fight without fouling and that he still hates Ippo, not that we needed to be told that last point. At the same time though, as much as I like Mashiba, holy hell does he need another thing on top of the short uppercut. That has been plain as day since his defense against Kimura.

Itagaki showing off in front of Saeki/that other guy - In case you forgot that Itagaki was the Flash, this is your reminder, as well as stealing the Jolt, but it's otherwise not memorable.

Takamura's most recent title defense - funny for the beginning where the crowd forgot it was going to happen, but an ultimately lovely match which wasn't good compared to his other lovely ones (like the one where he tried to do the look away). I'm only mentioning this because I think it was really that terrible.

Miyata vs RBJ - I will say that I was getting into the match once it started, but remember hating the last half, or hell maybe even just the ending, at time of reading. Some of that was Miyata-hate, maybe, but this fight was also very long. Maybe it's different when it's not plodding along one week at a time. I want more RBJ. :(

Gedo - Ridiculousness of some moves aside, I didn't mind this fight, and is the closest thing we'll ever have to an Aoki-ish fight against Ippo. I also have a soft spot for these two pages.

Short series of fights with Itakagi/Kimura/Aoki/Takamura/Miyata - Alright fights, but they're not why I read (except I do read for Aoki/Takamura fights). Come to think of it, this was a lame Takamura match too (beetle uppercut), but I didn't mind it so much.

Scratch J - Good fight, and this is about far enough, 151 or so chapters. Nearly 3 years, not counting off weeks.

So, I'd say it's at least been a pretty 'okay' few years with some slow-rear end spots (RBJ, and now Woli). But it's fine, as the 17 years before it are great.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eight-Six posted:

So, I'd say it's at least been a pretty 'okay' few years with some slow-rear end spots (RBJ, and now Woli). But it's fine, as the 17 years before it are great.

Yeah, the manga could be great again (Morikawa has shown he can do it) the problem is that, as you can see in your fight list, the pattern for the last 3 years is to go for more outrageous moves and techniques which ultimately hurt something that is supposed to be somewhat realistic. If you have an expectation of semi-realism and the matches are suddenly decided by hyper-senses, faster that sound punches or magical leg-killing blows then not only is the writing dumb but you feel cheated.

So, instead of Woli losing for being an overconfident bastard, which would be a good, realistic, satisfying way to beat his rear end (that would have been great, a death blow into his loving face) he loses thanks to magic. Big woop.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Everyone in Ippo has special moves. The problem is, there are only so many actual distinctive techniques in boxing and the well has run dry. So, we get retarded light speed punches, Itagaki tapping into the speed force, loose gloves as an effective move and of course Woli's magic foreigner jungle body. The best opponents have been people whose special moves were just really good punches.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Again, always remember we're ridiculous manchildren and that this stuff is written for kids. Every sports manga ever tries to explain the mechanics of its sport by the "unrealistic" method of having every opponent focus literally on one fundamental of the sport (techniques or speed/agility/strength), barring the inevitable "cheater" opponent. The "godlike" teams/players are always the guys that know how to do everything well.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Chapter 890 scan

Takamura sums it up brilliantly

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've figured it out Woli was born with a congenital heart defect.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
I figured out how they're going to elongate the series. At the end of the fight Ippo will have to relearn boxing through the use of flash cards.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I've figured it out Woli was born with a congenital heart defect.

He's got a heart murmur. Blood is being flushed back into his lungs. That's why he got tired. No oxygen to his muscles. Soon he will die from pulmonary edema.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

This page is just beautiful. I can't believe it could finally be over, maybe.

Maybe.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He's got a heart murmur. Blood is being flushed back into his lungs. That's why he got tired. No oxygen to his muscles. Soon he will die from pulmonary edema.

Sucks that it looks like this, but that's okay because

Gils posted:

This page

This page. This page. This page. This page. This page. This page. This page.

I had to restrain myself from cheering.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

Sucks that it looks like this, but that's okay because

This page. This page. This page. This page. This page. This page. This page.

I had to restrain myself from cheering.

ef you I just opened all of those in tabs and was hoping to see a full half chapter's worth of woli getting poo poo canned.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
Whatever I'm not even happy about it. At this point I'd rather have Woli as the main character.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

ef you I just opened all of those in tabs and was hoping to see a full half chapter's worth of woli getting poo poo canned.
Same :arghfist:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Morikawa: just because you make Takamura point out that this fight is total bullshit doesn't make it less BS. Thanks. (End it already)

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

trucutru posted:

Morikawa: just because you make Takamura point out that this fight is total bullshit doesn't make it less BS. Thanks. (End it already)

Well, Takamura's life slogan is: "I never lie about boxing." So somewhere, deep down, Mori knows this fight sucks. But yes, it is almost over, thankfully.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

trucutru posted:

So essentially we're getting trolled by a manga artist?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Cowboy posted:

Takamura's line made me picture Mori looking all :smugdog:-like (not that I know how he looks but you know what I mean) throughout this fight.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ He is gonna kick your rear end!

Cowboy posted:

Didn't you know? Trolling your readers (usually with some sort of :smug: character) is all the rage nowadays. Morikawa needs to dump those glasses and get some radical sun-glasses stat.

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
what, those guys are boxers? They all look like nerds

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Those are the voice actors for Kimura, Takamora, Ippo and Aoki with the author George Morikawa in the middle.

This is one of his boxers, Yuji Yamaguchi.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

trucutru posted:

^^^ He is gonna kick your rear end!

Didn't you know? Trolling your readers (usually with some sort of :smug: character) is all the rage nowadays. Morikawa needs to dump those glasses and get some radical sun-glasses stat.

I think we'll see Morikawa wearing some huge uv-blocking sun glasses like Kubo Tite? I think we are seeing the rise of a new Aizen in Hajime no Ippo...

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Wait, that guy's jeans are skin-tight and have an "a" on them.

Japanese fashion :psyduck:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Geop posted:

That's considered very normal and boring there.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

alkanphel posted:

That's considered very normal and boring there.
Some manga like One Piece and Bleach (from what I recall) will occasionally have some centerfold or some crap with characters in "trendy" clothes. I cringe and laugh every single time :(

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Geop posted:

Some manga like One Piece and Bleach (from what I recall) will occasionally have some centerfold or some crap with characters in "trendy" clothes. I cringe and laugh every single time :(
Naw that's mostly just Bleach. OP is more on the 'wear a hawaii shirt and ride a flying party elephant' route of things. Maybe dress them up as gangsters/cowboys or whatnot sometimes.

Speaking of cringeworthy if you check Bleach nowadays maybe you will notice Orihime wearing some loving dress that has like a circle or something around her arse, on black and white manga pages it looks like she is basically running around flashing that rear end.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Bisse posted:

Naw that's mostly just Bleach. OP is more on the 'wear a hawaii shirt and ride a flying party elephant' route of things. Maybe dress them up as gangsters/cowboys or whatnot sometimes.

Speaking of cringeworthy if you check Bleach nowadays maybe you will notice Orihime wearing some loving dress that has like a circle or something around her arse, on black and white manga pages it looks like she is basically running around flashing that rear end.
Hah. I bailed on Bleach after Soul Society ended :v: I hear it introduced a ton of worthless characters and there hasn't been much progression.

I should really get in to OP, but Skypeia is so hard to get through :smith: My brother keeps saying DUDE IT GETS AWESOME AFTER THAT but auuughhhh :arghfist:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Geop posted:

Hah. I bailed on Bleach after Soul Society ended :v: I hear it introduced a ton of worthless characters and there hasn't been much progression.

I should really get in to OP, but Skypeia is so hard to get through :smith: My brother keeps saying DUDE IT GETS AWESOME AFTER THAT but auuughhhh :arghfist:
It does. Honestly, just loving SKIP SKYPEIA if it's too bad. There is really barely anything at all relevant to the plot so you can just skip it and get to the good stuff if you want. Here is what you need to know if you choose to skip it, ill try to avoid skypeia spoilers and just tell you what you need to know:

- Gol D. Roger was on sky island.
- A mysterious ghost repairs the Going Merry one night
- There is this awesome part where Enel has the best OH gently caress face ever. People call it 'Enel-face' and it is almost worth watching the entire arc just for this face even if it only lasts for 5 seconds.

There, now go skip that poo poo and get on to the good stuff.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Geop posted:

It takes a while to get through, but the revelations at the end of Skypeia (not just the ones Bisse mentioned, that dick :colbert:) are really worth it. And yes it gets really awesome afterwards.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Geop posted:

I bet you think that Nomura's designs for square-enix games are crazy as hell and not based on some of the ugly-rear end fashions on many popular Japanese subcultures. They are actually kinda restrained.

(that's like the second hit for "japanese male fashion")

Morikawa: end this crap soon. The off-topic tangents in here are getting out of hand.

Edit: To add something Ippo-related: I hope that Morikawa has the balls to make Ippo lose after all. It is not too late and it will would add a real twist to the story. After all this match is not for the belt so Ippo won't lose it.

... On second thought, that would mean that there would be a rematch against monkey-boy later. Win Ippo, Win!

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 16, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Um, are those supposed to be men? Not cross-dressers, just men wearing men's clothing? If so, why is one of them wearing a skirt?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Um, are those supposed to be men? Not cross-dressers, just men wearing men's clothing? If so, why is one of them wearing a skirt?

I was thinking the same thing :gonk: I was pretty confident in that being a lady! But not I'm not so sure! :(

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

Geop posted:

I was thinking the same thing :gonk: I was pretty confident in that being a lady! But not I'm not so sure! :(

Looks like he's wearing Boxers over his pants to me, but who knows with outfits like that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you know I have a friend who went to japan for a year for some foreign exchange thing. She's asian and into asian guys, but she complained that all japanese men were basically pussies and really effeminate.

After seeing that picture, its easy to see what why women would complain.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Zahrkon posted:

Looks like he's wearing Boxers over his pants to me, but who knows with outfits like that.

Those are kilt pants. They're punk fashion, and in this case, the Japanese took punk fashion and ran with it.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

God, I'm sorry, but that HAS TO BE a girl :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

PaleIrishGuy posted:

Those are kilt pants. They're punk fashion, and in this case, the Japanese took punk fashion and ran with it.

Kilts are supposed to reach your knees.