Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So what's the general opinion on Hyosungs? Specifically 2006 Comet 650's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

So what's the general opinion on Hyosungs? Specifically 2006 Comet 650's.

Underwhelming. A used UJM for the same price would be a much better bike.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Gnomad posted:

Hey Nero-what is a good charging voltage for a CX500? The CX500T I looked at last night put out 13.8, which seemed a bit on the low side, although the battery is new.
The bike has 18K and I'm sure it's on the original stator.

13.8 is within specs. Somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 is fine. Is it a CDI-version CX500?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
3.5k is a pretty fuckin great deal for an '08 SV650 with 4k miles right? Like, I would be stupid not to go buy this bike...right?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Mcqueen posted:

3.5k is a pretty fuckin great deal for an '08 SV650 with 4k miles right? Like, I would be stupid not to go buy this bike...right?

About as stupid as I am for not buying this:

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/1675930450.html
(2007 Suzuki SV650 - 35 miles!!! - $3985)

Not a typo, clear title.

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 13, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mcqueen posted:

Go for it!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm see I'm not the only one tempted by an SV. There's an SVS nearby that I want real bad. Must not pull the trigger...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

kylej posted:

I'm see I'm not the only one tempted by an SV. There's an SVS nearby that I want real bad. Must not pull the trigger...

The only reason I'm passing on that is because I got a friend selling me a Monster 750 this summer. Otherwise I've been scouring for 8 months for a deal on a naked SV that would be too good to pass up.

I feel like I'm gonna buy a new bike like every year at this pace...I need a drat garage.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Agrias120 posted:

I worded my last post strangely--I don't have a Rebel at the moment. The Rebel was originally the starter bike I was looking to buy, but after being told I might be too tall for it, and that its performance might not be adequate for highway trips, I'm starting to look at other models to act as my first bike.

There are a lot of Shadows and Vulcans in my price range at the moment--hopefully there will still be a few good deals in a week or two. I've also been seeing a handful of older Honda CB500's--how would those work as a first bike? Assuming I could find one that was in decent condition and kept well, I mean.

Endless Mike offered to come out with me and look at a bike I pick out, which is going to be a huge help. I don't really know any other riders.

Are we allowed to pimp our own rides? This bike is yearning for a new owner! It's taller than the Rebel, still has an upright riding position, and certainly no problems on the beltway.

*bike sold*

No problems at all, starts up just fine -- the only thing you'll want to do is get a new chain as it's due for a change (2nd chain on the bike).

Jolci fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 18, 2010

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

UserNotFound posted:

I feel like I'm gonna buy a new bike like every year at this pace...I need a drat garage.

Nothing wrong with that, there are worse way to lose your money than bikes. You could be spending it all on ...ugh...cars.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Flint Ironstag posted:

Nothing wrong with that, there are worse way to lose your money than bikes. You could be spending it all on ...ugh...cars.

Pretty soon I'll be 2 bikes in just about a year... if I had a garage I don't think I could ever pass up a <$1,500 bike I liked :D Eventually though I do want to trade in my sedan for a small pickup, as my car has become an appliance since I got a bike, and a USEFUL appliance would be even better. Leather? CD player? power windows? gently caress NO, gimmie a 6'8" bed and tie down points!

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 13, 2010

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

UserNotFound posted:

Pretty soon I'll be 2 bikes in just about a year... if I had a garage I don't think I could ever pass up a <$1,500 bike I liked :D Eventually though I do want to trade in my sedan for a small pickup, as my car has become an appliance since I got a bike, and a USEFUL appliance would be even better. Leather? CD player? power windows? gently caress NO, gimmie a 6'8" bed and tie down points!

Hehe, oh yeah, I used an old Caravan (gutted for the space). Don't forget the ramps to help load up. I did need to do some partial disassembly to get it in, though. A truck would have been better.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
I've been looking to buy a bike for a while now.
Found this awesome beginner machine. It has some small problems, but it's nothing major and gives me an awesome excuse to get familiar with the bike.

Except there's a very small problem with the title... whyyyyyy?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/mcy/1688857738.html

Goons, just how hard will I have to 'pull the strings' to get this thing registered?

Click here for the full 1807x950 image.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
Hey guys,

I'm looking at starter bikes at the moment. I've been looking at early 80s japanese bikes. What I like is the Suzuki 650 Tempter and yamaha secas. There is actually a 93 600 seca 2 for sale close to me for 2K (CDN). That seems a bit high considering it's got 50K kms. I've also been looking at early 80s shadows and maxims between 500 and 750cc.

I plan on commuting with the bike. My commute takes me over the Burlington Skyway everyday. I'm also 6'1" 290 lbs so I'm not sure if a 500 would do the trick. Anyway enough rambling. Do you guys think I'm looking at the right models? And can you tell me a bit about what I should look out for? My limit to spend is 2K.

Radio-Controlled fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 13, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lord Master posted:

Found this awesome beginner machine. It has some small problems, but it's nothing major and gives me an awesome excuse to get familiar with the bike.

Goons, just how hard will I have to 'pull the strings' to get this thing registered?

Walk away.

At best you will have to track down the original owner and convince them to sign it over to you. If they decide to be a dick, all it takes is a call to the cops and they will have the bike and you will be out the money. Or you can't find them then you have a $1k paper weight.

At worst, the bike is stolen.

Walk. Away.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 13, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Lord Master posted:

First off, the Buell Blast is a terrible bike.

Second off, that bike is stolen/something fishy is going on with it.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot touching pole.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Radio-Controlled posted:

Hey guys,

I'm looking at starter bikes at the moment. I've been looking at early 80s japanese bikes. What I like is the Suzuki 650 Tempter and yamaha secas. There is actually a 93 600 seca 2 for sale close to me for 2K (CDN). That seems a bit high considering it's got 50K kms. I've also been looking at early 80s shadows and maxims between 500 and 750cc.

I plan on commuting with the bike. My commute takes me over the Burlington Skyway everyday. I'm also 6'1" 290 lbs so I'm not sure if a 500 would do the trick. Anyway enough rambling. Do you guys think I'm looking at the right models? And can you tell me a bit about what I should look out for? My limit to spend is 2K.

You're in the right area for starter bikes. Don't worry so much about the displacement, focus on the horsepower, you don't want something much above ~55hp for your first bike. Also, don't worry about your weight, even on a Ninja 250 you'd still have a power/weight ratio greater then most four-door sedans.

That Seca would probably be a good option if it fits you and is in good condition. I have no idea what bike prices are like in your area, but you could offer $1500 and see what happens.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

Tsaven Nava posted:

You're in the right area for starter bikes. Don't worry so much about the displacement, focus on the horsepower, you don't want something much above ~55hp for your first bike. Also, don't worry about your weight, even on a Ninja 250 you'd still have a power/weight ratio greater then most four-door sedans.

That Seca would probably be a good option if it fits you and is in good condition. I have no idea what bike prices are like in your area, but you could offer $1500 and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the description on the seca:

quote:

After 16 years of ownership, I've moved up to a bigger bike and have to say goodbye to my Yammy! With a little over 51K in those years, it has primarily been highway driven and serviced regularly (oil changed w/filter every 3K). The motor is 4 cylinder air cooled (rated at 61 HP) and can easily get 55+ MPG. The colour is "very dark blue metallic". Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires were new last season (less than 2K on 'em) and I installed new sprockets and chain only a few seasons ago along with fresh brakepads. The bike is in completely stock condition and has never been dropped or damaged. It has the optional lower cowl fairing and comes with factory tool kit, Owners Manual, tank bra, Yamaha Shop Service Manual and motorcycle cover. At only 401 lbs dry weight, this bike is a nimble and spirited ride that has a more comfortable upright riding position and would make an excellent starter or weekend touring bike. I will provide both the ownership package and mechanical fitness certificate.

What kind of 'gremlins' could I run into on a seca?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I wouldn't be scared of 51k kilometers, as long as the bike has been well maintained it should hit 100k without blinking.

I'd ask the owner when the valves were last adjusted (no idea what/how often those bikes need it done, but usually every 14-20k kilometers is typical), and check out the other usual things when buying a bike. Read this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Tsaven Nava & Doctor Zero posted:

Flee you fool!

Thanks for the reply guys.

Asides from the Blast, there is a serious shortage of beginner bikes at Tampa Bay area.

Right now my only options are the Ninja 250 (I'm 6'4" oh god) and a 1999 Suzuki 600 bandit.

As far as I know, the Bandit is 78 horsepowers. I know the general CA advice for beginners is <55hp, but I see it recommended for beginners every once in a while. Is there something about the Bandit that makes it okay for newbies, 55HP rule be damned?

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Lord Master posted:

Asides from the Blast, there is a serious shortage of beginner bikes at Tampa Bay area.

Right now my only options are the Ninja 250 (I'm 6'4" oh god) and a 1999 Suzuki 600 bandit.

As far as I know, the Bandit is 78 horsepowers. I know the general CA advice for beginners is <55hp, but I see it recommended for beginners every once in a while. Is there something about the Bandit that makes it okay for newbies, 55HP rule be damned?

Well for all intents and purposes, you'll run into the same beginner bike issues on the Bandit 600 as the SV650 given their roughly equivalent power and handling (I've owned both). I started out on the SV650. Being the SV650 is far more popular than the Bandit, so you'll find much more information on them as beginner bikes.

I'm of the opinion that ideally in the best of worlds, it's preferable to start out on a Ninja 250 equivalent bike and work your way up one bike at a time, a few years at a time. At the same time, I don't think that's entirely realistic or necessary for all people.

If you're a hamfisted rider, an overly-nervous rider, or a teenager, then I would say definitely start on the 250. Also, if you have plenty of time to spare and really want to maximize your learning, you may want to start out on the 250 just to do it.

If you need to ride with any degree of regularity on interstates, have some degree of self-control, and aren't the size of a midget, then a Bandit 600 or SV650 may be for you. The bikes are medium sized, have upright riding positions, are comfortable, fairly light, and are quick to learn on. Most importantly I feel, they both have very predictable (albeit different) power curves. The bikes are no where close to pulling wheelies all over the place with every bump on the road and subsequent jerk on the throttle. Don't kid yourself, they're faster than the majority of the cars out there and you can get yourself into trouble very quickly -- but with these bikes, it will be you getting yourself into the trouble, not the bike.

That said, I'm biased. As mentioned, I started on a SV650, and I'm selling my Bandit. However, I can't even count the amount of times -- especially during interstate riding -- where I was very glad to have a little extra umph to putt past some cars. Even during those passes you'll still be downshifting; it's not like these bikes rev up like a turbo. Out here in DC on the beltway and i-95 (when its not rush hour), I'm regularly going between 50mph and 90mph with traffic. I'd prefer to have a bike that is not hovering near redline by that point.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

^ Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

I may just have to check out the 250 at a dealer. I don't plan to buy new, but I need to see if I'm comfortable on that thing. If it's anything like the Rebel, it's a no-go.

What's the consensus on the GS500? Seems like it would be decent beginner bike if a 250 doesn't work out.

e: naked bikes are hella :black101:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The GS500 is a great starter bike and has enough power to keep you happy without getting into too much trouble. They're dead reliable and at least a little mechanically simpler than the Ninjas since they're air-cooled. Parts are easy to find since I'm pretty sure is shares stuff with bikes going WAY back.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
Currently looking at a 1983 V45 Sabre with 23500km for $1500. Looks to be in good shape. Ad quote:

quote:

1983 Honda Saber VF750 Four with only 23,500 kms. Good condition with the usual minor bumps and bruises one would expect for a bike of this vintage. New tires with only 1,000kms, new battery and seat recently professionally recovered. Runs great with no mechanical issues.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Lord Master posted:

It's the start of the riding season. Starter bikes are going to be hard to find for a couple months.

Besides looking on-line, take drives in more rural areas. I've seen people with bikes for sale at the end of driveways a lot in the spring.

Just keep at it. It can be daunting, but you'll find one.

Also, glad you saw reason on that Buell. :hfive:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radio-Controlled posted:

Currently looking at a 1983 V45 Sabre with 23500km for $1500. Looks to be in good shape. Ad quote:

The cams are chocolate on those bikes, if that hasn't been addressed with the oiling mod, I'd pass.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Also, glad you saw reason on that Buell. :hfive:

I've learned that if AI (or CA in this case) says something is terrible, something is terrible.

ButtFaceMcCrackin
Nov 6, 2004

You'll never get confused about which end to use!
Just saw this 87 ninja ex500 posted on the craiglist in my area. I feel like the windscreen would be a minor fix but this would be my first bike and I have no idea about repairing carbs. Anybody have any experience with the carbs on older ninjas?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

Just saw this 87 ninja ex500 posted on the craiglist in my area. I feel like the windscreen would be a minor fix but this would be my first bike and I have no idea about repairing carbs. Anybody have any experience with the carbs on older ninjas?

No experience with those carbs in particular, but I don't get why people just throw away bikes if it really is as simple as simply installing the carb rebuild kit they already bought. They went through the trouble of replacing the filter, plugs, oil, etc., so why not finish the job?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^
Scary, tiny magical parts. :ohdear:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

ButtFaceMcCrackin posted:

The windshield is $100. Carburetors are easy to rebuild, but since he chose not to do it, there's no way of telling if that's the only thing wrong with that bike.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Lord Master posted:

What Jolci said is pretty spot-on. And while a general consensus here is that ~55hp is the limit for your first bike, there are a lot of people who say that up to 80hp is okay, depending on the rider. If you have a lot of experience driving manual transmissions, have good situational awareness and trust yourself to not be a squid and wack the throttle wide open every chance you get, a Bandit wouldn't be too bad. I'd be partial to an SV650 myself, but that's only because I own the dual-sport version of it (V-Strom).

Now, that said, if you're too tall for a pre-2008 Ninja 250 (They re-vamped them for 2008, making the seating position more aggressive), you're going to be too tall for a LOT of bikes, including the SV650.

Other bikes I might consider given that you're tall would be supermotos or dual-sports. A DRZ400SM is about ~40hp and very lightweight but has really high resale value (and will generate an endless stream of traffic tickets).

A pre-2008 KLR650 with road tires would be pretty good to, they're ~44hp, crazy reliable, and are REALLY inexpensive used (fully farkled up for less then $1500 sometimes). They're also VERY tall, one of the tallest bikes on the market, and would probably fit you like a glove.

If you wanted more power, and something better for chewing up interstate, I might recommend a V-Strom 650, although I'm biased. ~67hp, endlessly practical, does everything, good mileage, tons of aftermarket . . . and hideously ugly :D They come by default with a short seat, but put on the taller seat and tweak the bars a bit, and you should find it very comfortable. The guy I bought mine from was 6'4" as well, and he put 50,000 miles on it, so it couldn't have bothered him too much.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The interesting thing about the V stroms is that everybody from owners to reviewers say that the 650 is better than the 1000. There really aren't many bikes that break that way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

The interesting thing about the V stroms is that everybody from owners to reviewers say that the 650 is better than the 1000. There really aren't many bikes that break that way.

Not too much of a surprise considering the SV is the same way though.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Gnomad posted:

For what the bike is, the Wee's power is plenty to do what it's meant to do, unless you plan to spend a LOT of time towing a trailer two-up. The Wee is also a good deal lighter then the Vee, and the Vee had/has a couple of chronic problems that Suzuki never fully admitted to.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tsaven Nava posted:

For what the bike is, the Wee's power is plenty to do what it's meant to do, unless you plan to spend a LOT of time towing a trailer two-up. The Wee is also a good deal lighter then the Vee, and the Vee had/has a couple of chronic problems that Suzuki never fully admitted to.

I think the 1000 motor is a thirsty bastard as well, which would be an issue for people hitting the rough stuff.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Stuff about dual-sports and V-Strom.

Different strokes for different folks, but I think the V-Strom is badass. Then again I'm a complete beginner so every bike is badass.

Tomorrow is dealer day. Going to see how well I fit on a :ninja: 250/500.

Lord Master fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 16, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Lord Master posted:

Different strokes for different folks, but I think the V-Strom is badass. Then again I'm a complete beginner so every bike is badass.

I love the bike, and I think it's really ugly, so who knows :) I think the only thing that would make in a non-ideal beginner bike is that they're still pretty expensive, even used. My '04 with 50,000 miles cost me $3,400, and that was a GREAT deal (Granted it came with farkles and hard bags). Anything newer, with fewer miles is going to be $4k+.

Either way, regarding the Ninjas. The pre-2008 Ninja is a totally different animal then then 2008 and newer. The newer ones have a more aggressive (cramped) seating position, and I found them pretty uncomfortable, and I'm only 6'. However, the pre-2008, I fit on just fine, and my girlfriend is getting one in a week or so.

The 500s I think have a slightly more forward position, and the pegs are a little higher up, so that might be less comfortable for you. OTOH, power.

Make sure you sit on a pre-2008 Ninja if you can, before writing the bike off completely.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I'm looking at picking up a 2006 SV650, but the tachometer assembly was stolen, so it's without that. What should I buy to replace that?

I was thinking this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trai...#ht_3339wt_1143

due to the fact that it has speedometer and tach built in. Is this garbage?

Is there anything else that people can recommend for a replacement? I'm down for used OEM, but new OEM is just as much as the bike :)

Thanks!

Edit: Bought a 2006 cluster on ebay for $160 shipped :)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lord Master posted:

I'm 6', and just got back from sitting on EX250/EX500/SV650/ER-6n. The only bike that really wouldn't work for me is the '08+ EX250, and that sucks.

Unfortunately, I really don't think it would be a good idea to buy a new bike as my first bike, and the new SV650s and ER-6ns are out of my price range anyway. They both fit me way better than any of the Ninjas though, so I may be looking for them used.