Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Dumb question here. Where'd you all learn how to wheelie? I was never one of those kids who could wheelie bikes back then so going up on one wheel is a foreign feeling for me.
Where do I start?

If you absolutely must do this, start out on a dirt bike, as light as possible, that you don't care about. Prepare to fall down, I've done plenty of wheelies that went right over the back. On a dirt bike you pick it up and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnomad posted:

If you absolutely must do this, start out on a dirt bike, as light as possible, that you don't care about. Prepare to fall down, I've done plenty of wheelies that went right over the back. On a dirt bike you pick it up and move on.

Or a supermoto.

I did neither of these and learned to wheelie on a T595 Speed Triple. And then on a ZZR1200. I started out real careful with just a foot or 2 off the ground...but dirt bikes or supermotos are really the way to go.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I don't understand the appeal of wheelies :( I wouldn't want to gently caress it up and drop my bike or myself heh. I'm just emotionally attached to things I spend a considerable amount of money on I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

infraboy posted:

I don't understand the appeal of wheelies :( I wouldn't want to gently caress it up and drop my bike or myself heh. I'm just emotionally attached to things I spend a considerable amount of money on I guess.

They're just silly fun. Kinda pointless, a little dumb, but a lot of fun. And on a dirt bike you're not going to hurt it by dropping it, same with a sumo, so...it's pretty low risk, overall. It took me 3 years of riding to work up to even getting the front end off the ground, and after 5 years I'm starting to become ok at them/really enjoy them.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm not a big fan of wheelies on my street bikes, but what I do enjoy is doing a good hard 1-2 upshift right in the middle of an intersection and that glorious feeling when the front wheel goes light and skims up a bit. Who needs the dogs on second gear anyway?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Dumb question here. Where'd you all learn how to wheelie? I was never one of those kids who could wheelie bikes back then so going up on one wheel is a foreign feeling for me.
Where do I start?

I learned on a ninja 500 and by watching a lot of YouTube videos. I guess I'm just lucky I haven't fallen. But after I learned about how wheelies oil starve engines when ridden for a while, and how you're actually accelerating slower, I don't do them anymore except on accident.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never "ride" wheelies, for the aforementioned oil starvation reason, and I just figure the longer you've been doing a wheelie, the more likely you are to gently caress it up some how. That, and I dont think I know how to do that if I wanted to,

I just pop little one or two footers every once in a while. Keeps my inner hooligan satisfied, and my bikes (and body) in one piece.

NOT recommended on public streets though, I know for a fact that the Milwaukee PD will fine you something insane like $800 if you're caught with your wheel even an inch off the ground. I would imagine that most other cities are similar.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Depending on how pissed the cops are, you can get anything from arrested with reckless to a slap on the wrist. I do 90% of my wheelies way out in the middle of nowhere for just this reason.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What's cooler? Arriving on a motorcycle or leaving on a motorcycle? Like imagine there is a thing from 6pm-9pm. You can either show up at like 6:05pm so everyone sees you ride up and look awesome in your gear, but you have to leave late and nobody sees you ride off into the night. OR you show up at like 5:30 to make sure you're on time, and people aren't witness to how cool you look showing up, but you can leave right at 9pm so that everyone watches you ride off into the dark looking totally bitchin'. I would probably pick showing up a minute or two after 6 so that everyone sees you arrive but idk what do you guys think??

I need it for research for a work project

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I say leave on the bike so that everybody can see it parked out there all mysterious-like. They'll be all, "Whoa, who came on the bitchin' motorcycle?" and then you can be like, "Oh, yeah, that was me." :smug:

[edit] Because I'm a helpful guy, I went and asked two other people. One, my wife, who is a babe and rides motorcycles. Another, a friend who doesn't ride bikes, but does party and rides snow machines a lot, and actually competed in Arctic Man this year.

Anyhow, now that we have credentials out of the way:

Wife:
:j: Well, I would say better to show up late and let everyone watch you ride up, because then you benefit from their admiration for the rest of the evening.
:j: Whereas leaving early, you're gone, so you don't directly benefit.
:j: So I guess if you don't enjoy being the center of attention, maybe the latter is better.

Arctic Man Guy:
:clint: The answer is showing up late.
:clint: Because...
:clint: Then you're fashionably late. If you leave early then you're just the lame person who tries to kill the party by starting the outflux of people.

So there you have it! Apparently, I was wrong. :eng99:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 15, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What's cooler? Arriving on a motorcycle or leaving on a motorcycle? Like imagine there is a thing from 6pm-9pm. You can either show up at like 6:05pm so everyone sees you ride up and look awesome in your gear, but you have to leave late and nobody sees you ride off into the night. OR you show up at like 5:30 to make sure you're on time, and people aren't witness to how cool you look showing up, but you can leave right at 9pm so that everyone watches you ride off into the dark looking totally bitchin'. I would probably pick showing up a minute or two after 6 so that everyone sees you arrive but idk what do you guys think??

I need it for research for a work project

A motorcycle will never help you look cool, unless you're a girl.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or gay, because bikes really only attract dudes.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

orthod0ks posted:

Ok, will change the oil and check the clutch cable.

I believe she is intending to the take the MSF... gotta love PA and it's free MSF courses. She's been making fun of me for wearing my helmet/gloves/jacket/boots/jeans whenever I ride, because they apparently used to ride in shorts and tshirts. But, with my nagging, she's already ordered a full face helmet and jacket, and will pick up some boots at her shop.
Hmm...

What are the requirements (specifically, residency) for taking one of them thar Pennsylvania MSF courses?

Jendywo's sister will be in Philadelphia for the next ~4 months shooting a movie. Jendywo might go back there to help nanny her 15 month old Nephew - which means that I'd be spending a few weekends in PA, for sure.

The amazing thing to me is that my little SR250's weight distribution is such that at semi-regular intervals it wants to wheelie 1-3" just going into second gear, if I'm not paying close attention.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
and noone has ever, or will ever, look awesome in gear.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Dubs posted:

You shut your fat mouth, before this man is on you like a spider monkey.

Click here for the full 1280x1636 image.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I think bikes definitely make you look cooler than you actually are. I for one rode a motorcycle to a MTG event yesterday, which is inherently nerdy, but riding a bike to it negated a large portion of that nerdiness, and I was by far the coolest dude there. Also if you're wearing leather pants you probably don't look too hot unless you just won a GP but a nice ICON jacket with matching gloves and helmet + jeans is p sweet, especially if you're on a GSX-R.

I'll make sure to show up to places 5 minutes late from now on and rev the bike in the parking lot to make sure everyone sees me. Thanks for all help guys.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

... and I was by far the coolest dude there.

This is like being the smartest kid in the special ed class. :haw:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Wow, Magic the Gathering, impressive.

Anyways, I don't recommend nixing protective pants so you can arrive all cool-like to your nerd party. Just wear the loving gear and take it off when you get there. Nobody will give a poo poo and if you ride purely for image then you might as well buy a H-D and don the ol' leather vest. People who value image over protection and practicality tend to have short riding careers.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think bikes definitely make you look cooler than you actually are. I for one rode a motorcycle to a MTG event yesterday, which is inherently nerdy, but riding a bike to it negated a large portion of that nerdiness, and I was by far the coolest dude there. Also if you're wearing leather pants you probably don't look too hot unless you just won a GP but a nice ICON jacket with matching gloves and helmet + jeans is p sweet, especially if you're on a GSX-R.

I'll make sure to show up to places 5 minutes late from now on and rev the bike in the parking lot to make sure everyone sees me. Thanks for all help guys.

:goonsay:

Seriously, I am a nerd myself, played plenty of MTG in high school, but there is absolutely nothing cool about anything revolving around playing CCGs. Or motorcycles, for that matter.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Wow, Magic the Gathering, impressive.

Anyways, I don't recommend nixing protective pants so you can arrive all cool-like to your nerd party. Just wear the loving gear and take it off when you get there. Nobody will give a poo poo and if you ride purely for image then you might as well buy a H-D and don the ol' leather vest.

I can't afford leather pants I have to spend more money on magic cards ok sheesh this stuff isn't cheap

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dubs posted:

The guys riding 125cc scooters with full faces and jackets look ridiculous, but get respect from me.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
^^^ my mind can't even process the thoughts behind half face helmets on anything ever. If you crash you lose your face forever, i just cant understand it.

This is the best way to look cool on a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7braMa1Es&feature=player_embedded

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Dubs posted:

^^^ my mind can't even process the thoughts behind half face helmets. If you crash you lose your face forever, i just cant understand it.

This is the best way to look cool on a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7braMa1Es&feature=player_embedded

I'm at work so I can't look but is it a video of a guy playing magic on a bike???

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
yeah it totally is bro

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Dubs posted:

yeah it totally is bro

poo poo I wish I could be watching that

vrooooooooooom tap, attack for 6

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ride my RV90 with an HJC MX helmet, gloves with carbon fiber knuckles, and a joe rocket jacket, I'm pretty sure I look goofy as hell, but in an awesome way.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jabs posted:

You shut your fat mouth, before this man is on you like a spider monkey.

Click here for the full 1280x1636 image.

Doesn't he usually look like that when he's picking his leathers out of his arse before a race? Yes I read the filename, point still stands.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

orthod0ks posted:

It worked, but shifting was very rough, especially first to second. It felt like it was fighting me - way too much resistance. How can we go about trying to fix this? Also, is there anything else we should check out?

I learned on a Kawasaki 454 LTD and my bike had a positive neutral finder. Basically there is a bearing in the trans that makes it impossible to miss neutral if the bike is stationary and also impossible to shift from 1st to 2nd if the bike isn't moving. That maybe what your feeling. Otherwise you may need to take the side cover off and take a look at the shift mechanism. I'm sure it's minor.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
If you wanna arrive cool to a party, just have a 24 pack of Corona with you.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

Jump the hedge on a sumo, stoppie towards the entrance but keep enough speed left for a tail slide at the end. Top box opens smoothly with the touch of a button, blue LEDs illuminate its contents - 24 Coronas on ice. Then you realize you just wasted about 500 cool points on Magic The Gathering nerds.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jack the Smack posted:

Coronas? Pfff all the cool kids drink PBR these days.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Ola posted:

Jump the hedge on a sumo, stoppie towards the entrance but keep enough speed left for a tail slide at the end. Top box opens smoothly with the touch of a button, blue LEDs illuminate its contents - 24 Coronas on ice. Then you realize you just wasted about 500 cool points on Magic The Gathering nerds.

No you haven't wasted them, you now get to be dungeon master for the next month.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

No you haven't wasted them, you now get to be dungeon master for the next month.

there are no dungeon masters in magic UGH

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can be the raid leader in WoW.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There are now :c00lbert:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Ola posted:

Jump the hedge on a sumo, stoppie towards the entrance (of Gnomeragan) but keep enough speed left for a tail slide at the end. Top box opens smoothly with the touch of a button, blue LEDs illuminate its contents - 24 Coronas on ice. Then you realize you just wasted about 500 cool points on WoW nerds.

Z3n posted:

You can be the raid leader in WoW.
This is why I took up Engineering - so I could do this.
Then I met this girl...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Or gay, because bikes really only attract dudes.
A male bus driver asked me about my DRZ today. :(

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Endless Mike posted:

A male bus driver asked me about my DRZ today. :(

Bus drivers typically recognize gay when confronted with it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

Bus drivers typically recognize gay when confronted with it.

:supaburn:

Everyone thinks that motorcycles will be cool and get them chicks. Sadly, it's just a sausage fest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I think we need to take into account that everyone here is a goon. My personal observation is that bikes get girls :colbert: