Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Weinertron posted:

I'm 6', and just got back from sitting on EX250/EX500/SV650/ER-6n. The only bike that really wouldn't work for me is the '08+ EX250, and that sucks.

Unfortunately, I really don't think it would be a good idea to buy a new bike as my first bike, and the new SV650s and ER-6ns are out of my price range anyway. They both fit me way better than any of the Ninjas though, so I may be looking for them used.
You'll probably have better luck with the SV in that case, as the ER6n is really new. The Ninja 650 is pretty much the same bike with more plastic, if that's what you prefer. D'ja try a GS500?

e: page snipe gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

Z3n posted:

The cams are chocolate on those bikes, if that hasn't been addressed with the oiling mod, I'd pass.

Yeah I as reading up on that. Wasn't it a problem in the larger displacement Vs? Like the 65 and up?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm merely a price negotiation away from buying a Shadow Phantom. I've been on it and I love it. The completely instant throttle response from the new fuel injection system took me a bit to get adjusted to, but I've got it down now. Other than being a first model year, has anyone heard anything bad about them? The riding season just got started here for most people, and I don't know of anyone else that owns one. The reviews I've read online were positive, but I'm curious as to what you guys have heard/experienced.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Radio-Controlled posted:

Yeah I as reading up on that. Wasn't it a problem in the larger displacement Vs? Like the 65 and up?

It was an issue with all of the early V4 Hondas. V45 and V65. The V65 was already the largest of the series, Honda marketed the early V4 in cubic inches, V45=750cc, V65=1100cc, V30=500cc.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys, can anyone give me some advice on an enduro bike? I'm 17, I currently ride a 2004 yz250F (97KG or 214pounds) and am looking for an enduro bike so I can ride with my father in forestries. He has an '09 WR450F and I'm looking towards either an '07 WR250F or WR450F. I'm not sure which to get as, the wr250F is 106KG, which I think I could probably handle easy and still ride aggressively with, or get a WR450F with more power (my yz250F has some work done to it, e.g. bigger piston, carby to suit I assume and a staintune pipe on it), however I'm concerned about the weight of a WR450F for riding bush as it's around the 112KG mark.

About where I ride:

I generally ride places that have beastly hills with rocks and heavy washouts, tight trails and some open (when I ride in the forestries)

Oh and I'm not interested in riding on the road if that helps, purely dirt (as mentioned above). And also I'm about 6'1/6'2 and about 75KG (165 pounds).

All help appreciated!

Edit: Above bikes are Yamaha and not interested in any other bike (as we want to stick with Yamaha as they're reliable and my dad has one)

Guni fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 18, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Guni posted:

Oh and I'm not interested in riding on the road if that helps, purely dirt (as mentioned above). And also I'm about 6'1/6'2 and about 75KG

Buy a KTM 450 XC.

Guni posted:

Edit: Above bikes are Yamaha and not interested in any other bike (as we want to stick with Yamaha as they're reliable and my dad has one)

That's just stupid.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Phy posted:

You'll probably have better luck with the SV in that case, as the ER6n is really new. The Ninja 650 is pretty much the same bike with more plastic, if that's what you prefer. D'ja try a GS500?

e: page snipe gently caress

The naked GS500 is the bike I want. Why did you have to stop making them without plastics, Suzuki :negative:

Oh, poo poo http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/1692951077.html

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Manawski posted:

The naked GS500 is the bike I want. Why did you have to stop making them without plastics, Suzuki :negative:

Have a look at the Honda CBF600N.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Blaster of Justice posted:

Buy a KTM 450 XC.

That's just stupid.

haha, I'm not really interested in a KTM. Friends of ours have had serious troubles to the point of the bike blowing up ('07 250sxf). Also I want to keep the same models in our house, matching! :D

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Guni posted:

haha, I'm not really interested in a KTM. Friends of ours have had serious troubles to the point of the bike blowing up ('07 250sxf). Also I want to keep the same models in our house, matching! :D

Then you really don't have any questions, do you?

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?

Manawski posted:

Oh, poo poo http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/1692951077.html

I did a round at dealerships on Friday. Ninja 250/500 are A-OK size-wise! You guys were right about post-2008 250s having some pretty aggressive seating. I was fine on a 2005 (or was it 06?) 250, but post-08 would kill my back.
I also went to a Suzuki dealership and sat on my dream bike: the GS 500.

The GS is the bike I want. If Suzuki won't sell me a bike without fairings, I will tear those motherfuckers off myself and convert the headlight to the rounded pre-fairing GS500. I will make it look like the e variant :black101:

Now to take MSF and hunt for a good, used GS500.

Lord Master fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 19, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Lately, I've been itching to get a hypertourer. I don't know why but maybe its because my current KLR650 is so drat slow and I'm stuck on straight, paved roads here in Florida. I've owned an SV650 and FZ1 in the past so I'm not TOO worried about the power. I don't too much about the major players in this category so I was hoping some people could shed some light on these bikes. The only kicker is finding something somewhat comfortable, I'm 6'5 and 280lbs.

The bikes I'm looking at are the Blackbird, ZZR1200, Hayabusa and ZX-14. Any thoughts on those or any that I'm overlooking?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Yamaha V-Max, maybe? Or maybe even a Harley V-Rod?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
How about a BMW K1200? I think they bring around 130 hp to play with. My old boss had one and it looked sweet. I know he rode the poo poo out if is as well, a few 1000 mile + days and such. he was around 6' or so.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

ZX-14
The Concours 14 jams the ZX-14 engine into a shaft-drive with hardbags, if you like that

(I might like that)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I had completely forgot about the new VMax, which brought to mind another bike, the Suzuki B-King. Anyone have experience with those two?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hughmoris posted:

I had completely forgot about the new VMax, which brought to mind another bike, the Suzuki B-King. Anyone have experience with those two?

I've always wanted a Bking. I'd also toss out the ZRX1100/1200, ZX12, and the bandit 1200.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

How about a BMW K1200? I think they bring around 130 hp to play with. My old boss had one and it looked sweet. I know he rode the poo poo out if is as well, a few 1000 mile + days and such. he was around 6' or so.

The K1200 would be good for a tall person but the older K series won't. I felt a bit cramped on a K75 and I'm 5'11". A BMW GS is the ultimate big guys bike, the bike is all around large and the seat has a high/low position.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Hughmoris posted:

I'm stuck on straight, paved roads here in Florida.

This is the one thing holding me back from settling down with a DRZ or other dual sport.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Then you really don't have any questions, do you?

Yeah I do, I'm asking whats the pro's and cons between a WR250F and a WR450F, sorry if my post wasn't clear enough

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Hughmoris posted:

Lately, I've been itching to get a hypertourer. I don't know why but maybe its because my current KLR650 is so drat slow and I'm stuck on straight, paved roads here in Florida. I've owned an SV650 and FZ1 in the past so I'm not TOO worried about the power. I don't too much about the major players in this category so I was hoping some people could shed some light on these bikes. The only kicker is finding something somewhat comfortable, I'm 6'5 and 280lbs.

The bikes I'm looking at are the Blackbird, ZZR1200, Hayabusa and ZX-14. Any thoughts on those or any that I'm overlooking?

You know I REALLY like those blackbirds for some reason, maybe because if someone asked me what I ride I could say, "yeah I have a blackbird." They're fairly rare too, pretty reliable and fuel injected.

That said theres quite a lot of Hayabusas around for reasonable prices. I've never ridden or sat on one.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I might be coming into a sum of money soon. As such I might finally be able to get my first bike! I have my license because I took the motorcycle safety and training course. I know how to ride, not exceedingly well, but basically enough to get started in parking lots etc.

I learned on a cheap little honda rebel and I am thinking of getting one used to start on. Is this a good or bad idea?

edit: Just an fyi I do plan on getting all safety gear before the bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Senator Woofington posted:

I might be coming into a sum of money soon. As such I might finally be able to get my first bike! I have my license because I took the motorcycle safety and training course. I know how to ride, not exceedingly well, but basically enough to get started in parking lots etc.

I learned on a cheap little honda rebel and I am thinking of getting one used to start on. Is this a good or bad idea?

If you're going for the cruiser thing i'd go with a Honda Shadow 600, still pretty cheap, easy to ride, and a bit more freeway friendly.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1694479316.html Something like this is good :) Actually it's a pretty good deal.

But if you want the list of standards... it's pretty standard ninja 250/500 Suzuki GS500/GS500F

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Oh quick question. What would be the cheapest buy if I were looking for a naked style bike? I sure do love inards!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A friend just sent me a message that this baby is for sale:

It's a 1985 Moto Morini 500 with less than 45,000km on it, Italian V-twin goodness, classy looks and supposedly fantastic handling and plenty of 'soul' ;)

I'm actually seriously considering buying a 25-year-old low-production Italian motorcycle of which less than 30 have been imported to Denmark, probably less than 125 in total if you count all of Scandinavia :psyduck:

Should I?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 19, 2010

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, of course. What a silly question.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Senator Woofington posted:

Rebel is fine if you fit on it (which I assume you do, since you learned on one) and if you never plan to go on the freeway.

Otherwise, seconding looking into a Shadow, or I will also add a V-Star.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Guni posted:

Yeah I do, I'm asking whats the pro's and cons between a WR250F and a WR450F, sorry if my post wasn't clear enough

From your description, is 6kg really going to be a deal breaker weight wise?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
Any of y'all fine cyclists have anything to say about a 1984 CB700sc? Zenaida's pretty much convinced me to snag one at my first opportunity, and I daresay opportunity has come a'knockin'.

This'd be my third bike (after a brief stint on a CX500C and a year on an SV650), and I'm hoping to take it road trippin' between San Francisco, Denver, and Portland over the summer.

Thoughts? Words of wisdom?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1698448475.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

benwards posted:

Any of y'all fine cyclists have anything to say about a 1984 CB700sc? Zenaida's pretty much convinced me to snag one at my first opportunity, and I daresay opportunity has come a'knockin'.

This'd be my third bike (after a brief stint on a CX500C and a year on an SV650), and I'm hoping to take it road trippin' between San Francisco, Denver, and Portland over the summer.

It's funny I saw that same bike on SF craiglist and i've always wanted one of them.

I'd say go check it out, i starts and runs, try taking it for a test run, check the usual stuff: Tires, suspension, any strange noises.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Im looking at an 06 SV650S. 8501 miles on it, it seems to be in spotless condition. Never been dropped, always been serviced with synthetic oil etc. The tyres are good no ragged edges have plenty of life left, the suspension seems to be in good shape, not leaking any fluids anywhere (I checked brakes, under the bike, shone a torch around the engine/gearbox, checked the fork seals and rear shock shaft). Oil looked clean, brake fluid looks good but couldn't get the radiator cap off. Started first time from cold without any issues. It seems to run pretty strong. It looks like this thing just rolled off the showroom floor honestly.
Title is clean and the guy selling it seems pretty trustworthy and his wife (also a biker and an ex MSF instructor) is incredibly sweet and they were both happy to talk about the bike and its history.

His best price is 3350 which seems to be fair judging from KBB/nada guides.

The ONE thing which is giving me pause is that this is their sons bike. The son stopped riding after the seller had a near fatal accident a few months ago (dude still rides though). I'm not sure whether the name on the title is the son or the father. What is the best way to handle this if it is the son on the title?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

GanjamonII posted:

Im looking at an 06 SV650S. 8501 miles on it, it seems to be in spotless condition. Never been dropped, always been serviced with synthetic oil etc. The tyres are good no ragged edges have plenty of life left, the suspension seems to be in good shape, not leaking any fluids anywhere (I checked brakes, under the bike, shone a torch around the engine/gearbox, checked the fork seals and rear shock shaft). Oil looked clean, brake fluid looks good but couldn't get the radiator cap off. Started first time from cold without any issues. It seems to run pretty strong. It looks like this thing just rolled off the showroom floor honestly.
Title is clean and the guy selling it seems pretty trustworthy and his wife (also a biker and an ex MSF instructor) is incredibly sweet and they were both happy to talk about the bike and its history.

The ONE thing which is giving me pause is that this is their sons bike. The son stopped riding after the seller had a near fatal accident a few months ago (dude still rides though). I'm not sure whether the name on the title is the son or the father. What is the best way to handle this if it is the son on the title?

That is a really good deal considering it has under 9k miles like you said, looks like you've checked it over throughly. As long as the title is signed by whos ever name is on the title and they aren't selling it under their son's nose it shouldn't be a problem.

Once again curse you non-Californians and your non-inflated used motorcycle prices.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

infraboy posted:

That is a really good deal considering it has under 9k miles like you said, looks like you've checked it over throughly. As long as the title is signed by whos ever name is on the title and they aren't selling it under their son's nose it shouldn't be a problem.

Once again curse you non-Californians and your non-inflated used motorcycle prices.

Thanks. I should probably add that Im actually buying my first bike. Ive ridden before, but not very much (maybe a few hundred miles, so effectively my 2 wheel experience is that Ive been mountain biking for years). So I didn't have much to compare to - I just read some online buyers guides. I didnt test ride the bike as I dont have a license yet (msf this weekend!) so I may have missed some things. I'm alright with cars and push bikes, so I just tried to apply as many of those principles as I could to this. Is there anything else I might have checked?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

GanjamonII posted:

Thanks. I should probably add that Im actually buying my first bike. Ive ridden before, but not very much (maybe a few hundred miles, so effectively my 2 wheel experience is that Ive been mountain biking for years). So I didn't have much to compare to - I just read some online buyers guides. I didnt test ride the bike as I dont have a license yet (msf this weekend!) so I may have missed some things. I'm alright with cars and push bikes, so I just tried to apply as many of those principles as I could to this. Is there anything else I might have checked?

I think you're good, the SV650 has been around a while so it's pretty proven, also you're getting a nice fuel injected model so no carbs to deal with. I've never ridden one or sat on one, but they're pretty solid all around bikes, hell theres a thread dedicated to them.

I wish I had experience riding more than just 3 bikes, the two I own and a brief test ride on a ninja 500. I'd love to try the SV650, ninja 650, hell even a ninja 250 would be kind of fun, I want to see what the hype is all about. :)

heh I counted my cash tips i've accumulated, looks like I have a bit over 5000 in cash. I gotta get myself off craigslist, too much temptation everyday.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

infraboy posted:

It's funny I saw that same bike on SF craiglist and i've always wanted one of them.

I'd say go check it out, i starts and runs, try taking it for a test run, check the usual stuff: Tires, suspension, any strange noises.

Yeah, I hadn't heard of then until my buddy brought them up, but after a bit of poking around, it seems like the 700sc fills exactly the niche I'm looking to fill. Plus I love that classic early/mid 80s styling. drat thing looks like Optimus Prime's forgotten lovechild.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

benwards posted:

I've been looking for one of those, and if I still lived in the Bay area, I probably would have bought that out from under you by now.

Assuming, of course, that the condition matches the description. Always a potential issue on a bike that's a quarter of a century old.

Those bikes were great at just about everything street related. Sport, tour, commute, or just cruise about looking cool, they could do it all. I'm not even a fan of shaft drive (don't like shaft jack) and I would happily own one of those.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

bought it tonight! the owner is driving from austin to transfer it this weekend. so excited!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

bought it tonight! the owner is driving from austin to transfer it this weekend. so excited!

Congrats! Post some pictures in the post your ride thread when you get delivery of it :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

KozmoNaut posted:

A friend just sent me a message that this baby is for sale:

It's a 1985 Moto Morini 500 with less than 45,000km on it, Italian V-twin goodness, classy looks and supposedly fantastic handling and plenty of 'soul' ;)

I'm actually seriously considering buying a 25-year-old low-production Italian motorcycle of which less than 30 have been imported to Denmark, probably less than 125 in total if you count all of Scandinavia :psyduck:

Should I?

No. It'll be insanely expensive in parts around here - If you can find any, and with 25 years and 45K Km on the clock it's going to need them.

It's also incredible slow and doesn't handle that well. Why do you think the owner has added an aftermarket steering damper?

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No. It'll be insanely expensive in parts around here - If you can find any, and with 25 years and 45K Km on the clock it's going to need them.

It's also incredible slow and doesn't handle that well. Why do you think the owner has added an aftermarket steering damper?

But it's Italian:italy:

I fully get what you're saying and I'm definitely not going to start out on a finicky old-ish Italian bike (although my riding instructor said to go for it), it's just so drat pretty.

I believe the steering damper might be stock from what I gather and the handling has received high marks in the few review I've been able to find. Admit it, you just want it all to yourself, don't you? ;)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 21, 2010