Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

RedPaddy posted:

I've noticed this as well, and I have to say the best exercise/fitness training for football I've found is Squash. It's a really good workout for your legs and replicates exactly the same kind of bursts and turns you end up doing on the pitch. The first recovery period is hell though.
Well you can train by doing drills, we did some at the end of last Summer before the league started, just simple poo poo like running out to cones and back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Scikar posted:

Over the course of this thread you've done a lot to convince me that you are in fact Emile Ivanhoe Heskey.

Haha, I just read up on him. The description sounds apt. Thanks.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Was just looking at the table for my outdoor 11s coed league, and much to my surprise my team is in first place, tied on points but with a 9 goal lead on the second place team - and with two games in hand over them, no less. We play them this weekend and are bound to win again, looks like we're going to run away with the division this year.

They use a weird point system, though: 3 for a win, 2 for draw, and 1 for a loss. This is why we're tied with the second place team, who's 3-2-3 while we're 5-0-1. Anyone else's league do this? What's the reasoning behind it?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It sounds like it would make the league more competitive in terms of placing over a 3,1,0 scoring system, especially for teams with worse records.

Example:

Team A is 5-0-0
Team B is 3-0-2
Team C is 2-0-3
Team D is 0-2-3

Team A would have 15 points
Team B would have 13 points
Team C would have 12 points
Team D would have 8 points

Whereas in a traditional 3,1,0 scoring system it would be 15, 11, 9, and 3. Notice that in this scoring system Team D has a much higher mountain to climb.

EDIT: I may have scored that wrong, I always forget if the middle and last are "tie, loss" or "loss, tie."

the fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 15, 2010

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

That makes sense, and probably has something to do with the fact that the league doesn't use any tiebreaking method (other than points and GD).

That also explains why my team's GD is only 2, while the second place team's is -7. Looks like the only reason they're up that high is because they've played more games than anyone else.

In any case, yay, promotion! We're gonna be crushed in Div 2.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Played football. Kicked the ball. Foot did not explode in pain. I was pretty happy. :) I was completely out of shape (even more than usual) after my month off though, and my touch was shite. Still scored a pretty nice goal though, with my off foot and all.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
We had our 3rd/4th playoff last night and won 4-2. I managed to score the last goal with about a minute left. Their keeper came charging upfield, played a quick one-two with their CF, and hit a weak shot at me. I dropped it, went around the AM, and lobbed it in from about 3/4 field :smugdog:

On a side note, I wore these for the first time and they are fantastic.

CAMiasm posted:

what do my fellow goalkeepers do to maintain their gloves?

Wash them every time you wear them. I think that's the biggest thing. Also, make sure the palms are always moist.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

I feel the need to gloat a bit. Just came home from football and I played the best match of football in my history of playing football maybe. It was glorious. Played striker, scored 7 goals (including some Drogba-esque outmuscling and a replica of that Torres vs Vidic goal) from both flanks and the middle, had some classy assists, ran like mad, worked back in defence and just cleared the ball the gently caress away when there was any danger and everything worked brilliantly.

Except for when I had to take my turns in goal. :argh: My distrobution is the worst ever and I lose my confidence right away.

But yeah, all in all this feels pretty good man.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Tendinitis sucks. :(

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
so i played my first ever game today!! i was in goal

i hadn't met any of my teammates before. they were mostly not-quite-fit 30 year olds. including me, 10 people showed up. one guy got hurt in the first 10 mins, and another guy went down shortly after the 2nd half began. the other team was full of fit guys in their early 20s.

i gave up one goal in the first half. it was on a deflection on a free kick right outside the box. it hit a brick in the wall then bounced just inside the post into the goal. the possession in the first half was probably 65-35 in the opposing team's favor.

the second half was really lopsided.. probably 85-15 possession them. my team ran out of energy. the only time we got the ball out of our half of the field was on my punts. we couldn't keep possession for more than three passes. i ended up giving two goals in that half. the first one was on another deflection. the guy crossed it from just inside the box on the left side. it was a real rocket and bounced off the chest of one of my CBs then into the top corner of the goal. the other goal was really frustrating. being a beginner newb, my goal kicks aren't very strong, so one of the defenders was taking them. he shanked one right to their CF who then passed it to their unmarked RW (and best player) who blasted it a bending shot with the outside of his foot. it hit the far post and went straight across the line before the spin took it over by an inch. :qq:

i did much better than i thought i would. i didn't make any boneheaded mistakes and had at least a dozen saves. there was one time when i should've come out to snatch a through ball, but many other times when i did come out when necessary. one such time resulted in a pretty heavy collision. i got knocked solidly on the back of my leg. i'll live though

overall it was very fun!! i'm excited for next week's game. i hope we can field a full team :| 3 men short was harsh

CAMiasm fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 18, 2010

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

euroboy posted:

I feel the need to gloat a bit. Just came home from football and I played the best match of football in my history of playing football maybe. It was glorious. Played striker, scored 7 goals (including some Drogba-esque outmuscling and a replica of that Torres vs Vidic goal) from both flanks and the middle, had some classy assists, ran like mad, worked back in defence and just cleared the ball the gently caress away when there was any danger and everything worked brilliantly.

Except for when I had to take my turns in goal. :argh: My distrobution is the worst ever and I lose my confidence right away.

But yeah, all in all this feels pretty good man.

We're very proud of you :)

Work league starts up next week, and I need new astros and a new pair of gloves :( Best part of a week's wages gone there :negative:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My team played the top undefeated team in the league today. We lost to them 5-1 our first game, about a month ago. Until this game we were tied for second place (with another team that we tied last week).

We went 2-2 until a lapse cause them to score late again in the second half. We lost 3-2 :negative:

If we make a strong finish for the rest of the season we can end up second.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhgr posted:

Work league starts up next week, and I need new astros and a new pair of gloves :( Best part of a week's wages gone there :negative:
Oh hey, June bank holiday we'll be in Cork I think.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Rhgr posted:

I might join the team at work after summer, but I'm afraid that they're a bit too serious for my liking. There's some pretty good teams in the league.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

One of the guys in work is trying to get a weekly kickabout started up again (we stopped last Summer after about 3 years because we couldn't get enough people consistently). Should hopefully be playing 3-4 times a week during the Summer now. :)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

irlZaphod posted:

Oh hey, June bank holiday we'll be in Cork I think.

Yessss gays and football, my life is complete :allears:

Seriously can't wait

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhgr posted:

Yessss gays and football, my life is complete :allears:

Seriously can't wait
I can't either, we're going to Galway next weekend, it's gonna be good craic. Driving down Friday, playing football/doing recruitment stuff (I assume) Saturday, then out on the piss and back up Sunday.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
I took a bad tackle from a twat in a gooner shirt on the weekend, I had to limp off and couldn't play the rest of the game. It's now Monday and it's still swollen, I have a pretty important tournament on Saturday and really want to play, how are my chances if any of you have had a similar thing.

I've got an elastic knee brace on, applying Voltaren cream every couple hours and gonna start icing it again soon. I'm going to be doing nothing but sitting (laying with my leg raised) for 3-4 days. Chances good?

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

see a doctor.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

hughsieblingwish posted:

see a doctor.

I would but I have a feeling he'll tell me the same as the internet is. Only thing I'm not sure of is length I'll be out.

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Biggy_ posted:

I would but I have a feeling he'll tell me the same as the internet is. Only thing I'm not sure of is length I'll be out.
So...your leg hurts an you want to know how long you'll be out? I hate doctors, but you can either see one and get an estimate or stay home and hope it feels better.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Maybe you should ask in The Goon Doctor forum, that's basically the same as actually going to see a doctor.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If you at least mentioned what happened in the tackle (i.e. was it more of a bang or did you twist it) and exactly where the pain and swelling is you might have a chance. There are many different ways you can injure your knee and the prognosis is different for all of them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

If you at least mentioned what happened in the tackle (i.e. was it more of a bang or did you twist it) and exactly where the pain and swelling is you might have a chance. There are many different ways you can injure your knee and the prognosis is different for all of them.

Guys my body hurts in a place. It got hurt while I was playing football and something happened. How long am I going to be out?

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

SHUT UP GITS

going to the doctor tomorrow

Biggy_ fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 19, 2010

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Biggy_ posted:

SHUT UP GITS

going the doctor tomorrow

You're going 'to' the doctor.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

yeap :downsrim:

so how about this football we all play

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Biggy_ posted:

yeap :downsrim:

so how about this football we all play
Judging from your posts, you have a torn meniscus. So I believe you're referring to the sport that WE play. (You take your lumps well by the way, I wish more posters took jabs in stride).

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Check physioroom.com. I'm sure they've got a listing of injuries for back of beyond division three.

Seriously though, Google MD is an awful idea. Which part of plugging a vague description of your physical symptoms into the internet and following the non specific advice makes sense. Dr.Goon is better but again you're not in any contact with a professional, they're relying on your subjective description of the injury and are unable to properly assess it, maybe if you had an rear end wart you were worried about and a high quality photo of it...

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just wary. My brother recently turned his ankle in a game, played through then thought he was okay and just a bit tender for the next game. He goes to the doctor after who tells him he's a dick for not checking and he's done more damage playing on it again and is now out for two months.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hughsieblingwish posted:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just wary. My brother recently turned his ankle in a game, played through then thought he was okay and just a bit tender for the next game. He goes to the doctor after who tells him he's a dick for not checking and he's done more damage playing on it again and is now out for two months.

Hey, sounds like me! A couple of years ago I tweaked a hamstring (or so I thought), then felt okay to play the next weekend.

That turned out well :negative:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Due to the unexpected sunny weather in Belgium, me and ~20 mates rented a pitch and are playing a match tonight! It's gonna be awesome, I even bought boots :D
My biggest fear is that I have no condition whatsoever, so I'll probably throw up after running 50 30 meters, but nevertheless, I think I'm gonna have fun.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I received this in my inbox this morning:

quote:

The - I wanted to talk to you in person, but I didn't get a chance before I sent out the invitations for the Summer Heat today.

I appreciate your loyalty to our team this season, and I consider you a friend, but in order to reduce the size of the roster I can't find a spot for you on the team after the Spring Season.

I really dislike this part of the 'job' and I've been on the receiving end a couple of times. I hope you continue playing in the league and look forward to seeing you out there on Saturday.

:smithicide:

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Sucks but at least they werent passive aggressive and allowed you to play. We have players on our team who are god awful, and we dont take it very serious, but they are loving atrocious. We are pretty much stuck with them until they decide they dont want to play anymore because we are too lax to tell someone else we dont have any room.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The only part about it that upsets me is that I've attended every game, and I feel like I give 100%. In an adult C-level league, that should count for more than a player's skill. Some of our better players have attended less than 50% of our games, and they don't appear to be cut from the team. In some ways I'm hopeful that irony will strike and they'll end up being short for the coming games.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

the posted:

The only part about it that upsets me is that I've attended every game, and I feel like I give 100%. In an adult C-level league, that should count for more than a player's skill. Some of our better players have attended less than 50% of our games, and they don't appear to be cut from the team. In some ways I'm hopeful that irony will strike and they'll end up being short for the coming games.

Can't disagree with you on this. The founding principle of the 11s team I've set up with a couple of friends is that if you fail to turn up for training and don't have a decent excuse you aren't playing on matchday regardless of how good you are. It's ridiculous how many players get away with doing exactly that just by being naturally talented, and then the manager wonders why he never has any substitutes and the team doesn't seem to gel together.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Now that summer is upon us I get to organize the lovely kickabout league my friends and I founded two years ago. Two sides and twenty people, only maybe twelve of whom will show up for any one match. It's like herding cats, seriously. Nobody's dedicated to their team, nobody trains, nobody knows the first thing about football.

I need to join a real loving team.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Dr. Platypus posted:

Now that summer is upon us I get to organize the lovely kickabout league my friends and I founded two years ago. Two sides and twenty people, only maybe twelve of whom will show up for any one match. It's like herding cats, seriously. Nobody's dedicated to their team, nobody trains, nobody knows the first thing about football.

I need to join a real loving team.

where are you from? surely can't be too hard to find a league in your area

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Chicagoland, near Aurora. Problem is, most leagues out here have a spring season and a fall season, during both of which I'm away at school. No league by school, except the school team/school club, neither of which I'm good enough for.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

beedeebee posted:

Due to the unexpected sunny weather in Belgium, me and ~20 mates rented a pitch and are playing a match tonight! It's gonna be awesome, I even bought boots :D
My biggest fear is that I have no condition whatsoever, so I'll probably throw up after running 50 30 meters, but nevertheless, I think I'm gonna have fun.

Welp, we absolutely trashed the other team and it was awesome. I even scored a goal! And afterwards, I wasn't tired at all, I think I underestimated myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
My physical therapist finally located the spot of an injury that's been plauging me for a few months. I have a tear in the tendon of my right hamstring, right where it meets my hip joint. She was trying to locate the spot and finally hit it with her fingers. I yelled quite loudly, but it was a good hurt.

My hamstring flexibility is absolutely atrocious, so I probably pulled it some time while taking a shot, and it's been staying injured all this time. I've been doing hamstring stretches 3-5 x day.

Flexibility is important, fellas.