Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

PopeOnARope posted:

I like how all the commentors are crying about him hacking / using scripts. You know, he could just be GOOD?

No one is ever good at games if you show signs of it you are clearly hacking/scripting.

Always been the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

PopeOnARope posted:

I like how all the commentors are crying about him hacking / using scripts. You know, he could just be GOOD?

Obviously you don't play enough shooters online.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
He has jump bound to scrolling the mousewheel down. :ssh:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I used to do the same thing back in HL1:CS 8 or 9 years ago, before they added the "slow after jumping" and the server defaulted to 0.1 airaccel.

It drove people up the loving wall back then as well.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PopeOnARope posted:

I dunno, just after 4:42 he shoots four guys in a row with the Desert Eagle. Sure, it's possible, but he's also shooting behind them as if he knows where the actual hitboxes are as opposed to the visible models.

Edit: After watching the rest of the video I agree he's legit.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 18, 2010

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Shumagorath posted:

I dunno, just after 4:42 he shoots four guys in a row with the Desert Eagle. Sure, it's possible, but he's also shooting behind them as if he knows where the actual hitboxes are as opposed to the visible models.

Play long enough and you learn that is where to shoot to kill them.

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...

Shumagorath posted:

He also shoots someone falling off a ledge a good deal below them at close range and scores a headshot. If it is legit, its a testament to how poor CSS is, but everyone knows that.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No way, a highlight video shows the more interesting things he did?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Full Circle posted:

bunnyhopping isn't hacking and he doesn't seem to be using an aimbot/wallhack. Dude just plays a shitload of CS:S

I dunno, some of those "headshots" looked kind of shady. Like, there was a guy falling from above him, the reticle was on his feet, then a burst of fire and the kill icon is a headshot. I watched it over and over again, and I couldn't see where the reticle got to the guy's head before he died.

^^^^ e: f, b apparently.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
He's not hacking. CSS just has really bad hitboxes and should never have been made.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

GetWellGamers posted:

I dunno, some of those "headshots" looked kind of shady. Like, there was a guy falling from above him, the reticle was on his feet, then a burst of fire and the kill icon is a headshot. I watched it over and over again, and I couldn't see where the reticle got to the guy's head before he died.

^^^^ e: f, b apparently.

If it's anything like TF2, the lag compensation won't show up in demos. Go watch a TF2 sniper demo vid and you'll see the same thing happening - headshots when the reticule is nowhere near a head. In-game the player sees the enemy in the right spot because the client and server are compensating for lag.

I stand by the belief that he's just really good.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Its been a few years since I've played any incarnation of CS, were the guns always laser accurate while on the move?

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Tequila posted:

Its been a few years since I've played any incarnation of CS, were the guns always laser accurate while on the move?

mcvey posted:

CSS just has really bad hitboxes and should never have been made.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The sneakiest hack I ever did was to place a piece of clear tape on my monitor and draw in a targeting reticle.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

WebDog posted:

The sneakiest hack I ever did was to place a piece of clear tape on my monitor and draw in a targeting reticle.

I think everyone did that at least once for the scout when playing CS.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
edit: i'm dum

darkhand fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 19, 2010

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

It looks like he uses the momentum he gains from jumping off somewhere and translates it into horizontal movement by very quickly jumping forwards.

Reminds me of the old game Thief where you could bunny hop so fast, if you hit a wall you'd instantly die from the impact.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

It looks like he uses the momentum he gains from jumping off somewhere and translates it into horizontal movement by very quickly jumping forwards.

I remember it works by strafing and turning into the strafe gently causing acceleration, hopping stops the deceleration from walking so if you stay off the ground you can just keep increasing your speed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You guys need to play some quake to see bunny hoping

I wish I could find that old ftp which had the best video I've ever seen of two good quake teams always landing their rocket shots and bunny hoping all the time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sandler311 posted:

You guys need to play some quake to see bunny hoping

I wish I could find that old ftp which had the best video I've ever seen of two good quake teams always landing their rocket shots and bunny hoping all the time.
The name wouldn't have Cestus in it, would it? I have a few of those I could probably stick on YouTube.

Edit: I apparently deleted Cestus but I have Mercurial.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 19, 2010

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to request more Ultima Online stories. I know there's people out there thinking the topic is played out and people wouldn't appreciate their story. Well, I will.

So let's hear 'em!

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Shumagorath posted:

The name wouldn't have Cestus in it, would it? I have a few of those I could probably stick on YouTube.

Hey I remember that one! It's by the same moviemaking team who Tricking iT2, which is a really awesome freeform movie.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

YES! thank you!

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

rotinaj posted:

I want to request more Ultima Online stories. I know there's people out there thinking the topic is played out and people wouldn't appreciate their story. Well, I will.

So let's hear 'em!

It may have been mentioned but there was a bug (I'm not sure if it still works) but you could put 256 crates in a single crate, put the crate on someone's doorstep, then use an axe on the crate to destroy it.

This, in turn, would make a stack of 256 crates in one spot that the house owner would have to move 1-by-1 to get out. Or in.

If you see someone getting ganked by monsters in close-quarters, cast agility on them. It's a 'beneficial' spell so you wont get flagged, but what this does is it made it so that the character can't 'push someone out of the way', which full agility is required.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

That has to be an aimbot.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Dr_Amazing posted:

That has to be an aimbot.

No what your seeing is the latency in recordings.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I just remembered one from GTA4. In the game you get the ability to shoot out the sirens from cop cars, so instead of the beautiful harmony of wailing sirens it makes the most ungodly sound ever produced, and boy is it loud.

Me and a mate of mine got a pair of them and went for a drive around the city driving the rest of the players insane. Eventually everyone either left or got their own demonic cop car. This is what everywhere in the city sounded like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da9VMdmB7ds (not my video)

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

That's DMQ, which is a mod for the Steam game Deathmatch Classic to make it more quake-like (including uncapped bunnyhopping speed).

I actually made the map that was used in the video, and I can't do it at all. Glad to see someone can.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Boi Hole posted:

That's DMQ, which is a mod for the Steam game Deathmatch Classic to make it more quake-like (including uncapped bunnyhopping speed).

I actually made the map that was used in the video, and I can't do it at all. Glad to see someone can.

I used to play the q3 version of team fortress, which was a lot more like quakeworld, extremely fast, bunny hopping, and air control - instead of the slower halflife 1 and 2 versions. There are some videos of it up - http://video.tochka.net/19312-q3f-chapter3/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR84yZED4Ww

For the on topic part: there was a very small community of players who took the game extremely seriously. It wasn't unusual for teams to disband in after a particularly painful loss in a league, at least for awhile. Usually it was the result of one team so completely dominating the other that they couldn't even leave their spawn room. I can't find much in the way of tears left on the internet, since it was so long ago and such a small number of people.

It is long dead now. :smith:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Bozart posted:

I used to play the q3 version of team fortress, which was a lot more like quakeworld, extremely fast, bunny hopping, and air control - instead of the slower halflife 1 and 2 versions. There are some videos of it up - http://video.tochka.net/19312-q3f-chapter3/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR84yZED4Ww

For the on topic part: there was a very small community of players who took the game extremely seriously. It wasn't unusual for teams to disband in after a particularly painful loss in a league, at least for awhile. Usually it was the result of one team so completely dominating the other that they couldn't even leave their spawn room. I can't find much in the way of tears left on the internet, since it was so long ago and such a small number of people.

It is long dead now. :smith:
The best tears never die.
:glomp:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know people have mentioned Trouble in Terrorist Town in this thread before. There is pretty much nothing that happens in this game that does not inspire a lot of nerd rage.

Blocking doors in TTT is hilarious for example. Most FPS games have FF turned off, so it gets kind of boring just blocking them in a stupid room. But in TTT you have an interesting dynamic. Most of the people are paranoid, jumpy, or complete idiots. Keep that in mind.

My friend and I were traitors one time, and I managed to block the entire team inside a room. After a lot of threats involving my mother's sexuality, the state of my social life, etc one of them kills me. In the mind of someone else, this meant that he was obviously a traitor. So the guy that killed me get killed, and it starts a chain reaction of innocent traitors murdering one another.

If you've never played TTT, you should. I'm not very creative, as you can tell from my story. The amount of incredible rage that is induced by being killed while you really are innocent is amazing, so even my uninspired attempt at pissing people off worked to stunning success.

All you need is Garry's Mod and Counter Strike Source. On the Garry's Mod server list just sort by name and look for 'terrortown.'

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I'm not sure if those have been posted, but even if they were, they're probably buried somewhere no one will read them anyway, so here goes. Most of my griefing experience comes from WoW.

Divine Interference
Paladins have a spell, called Divine Intervention, which kills the paladin (at no durability cost) and renders an ally totally invulnerable to attacks as well as resetting all his/her aggro while rendering him unable to move or do anything. The spell, now, can only be cast on party members, and although it lasts two minutes, they can prematurely cancel the buff when danger is past. The reason for those two characteristics should be obvious, but I'm going to tell you anyway.

Back around the beginning of WoW, it was the best griefing spell in the game. It could be used on any friendly and they had to sit there waiting out the entire duration of two minutes. Bored paladins would go to a low level area, target some newbie trying to level up and cast Divine Intervention on him. There is no real penalty for death in WoW save for losing 10% of your items' durability. Divine Intervention kills the paladin but does not harm his gear (as do most spells which damage the caster, should they kill him...this means basically that there was no drawback to the paladin for casting DI). So, the newbie had to sit there waiting for two minutes, more than long enough for the bored paladin to come back and watch, /point and /laugh. There is (was?) no cooldown on Divine Intervention, and two minutes breaks between deaths is long enough that you don't have to wait to resurrect after racking up enough deaths. A bored paladin could hold a newbie hostage forever, or at least as long as he had some of the (pretty cheap) reagent to cast DI left. It was great to read the reactions as newbies (or alts as it often was) pleaded with us to release them from their divine cage. Some paladins from my old guild and I would go and catch random newbies, and, in true griefer fashion, would ask them to come over to our vent and sing a song of their choice in exchange for their release. We did not get many amateur superstars, as most people would just log out when it became clear after ten minutes that we would not get bored, but some took the challenge and introduced us to entirely new worlds of aural pain. We did let them go, though!

Quite obviously, it didn't take long for the buff to become only castable on party members. Newbies did not know this, however, and paladins could still trick them into joining a group ("I will help you level and quest") and just cast DI over and over, the newbie not knowing he could escape his torment by leaving the group. It reached Blizzard and, in their relentless quest to remove anything enjoyable from the game (see the next section), they made the buff removable. Oh well!

Well of eternity guided tourism
Back before The Burning Crusade came out, there was this wonderful, wonderful glitch called Cliffwalking. Basically, if you approached a slope that was normally too steep to stand on by walking directly parallel to its face (imagine that the slope is a wall, and walk parallel to it), the game would let you clip through it horizontally. This allowed you to go from a normally accessible high spot to stable ground that is normally not accessible, from which you could hopefully keep climbing, and end up wherever you wanted to be. This was a ton of fun, because Blizzard had designed a bunch of areas that weren't accessible, but packed with fun stuff nonetheless. One of these was a weird airstrip near Ironforge where guards fought trolls perpetually and there were some npcs and a bunch of planes. Probably intended as a low level questing area but thrown out later. Another one was mount Hyjal and the Well of Eternity. Mount Hyjal as a whole was totally inaccessible without cliffwalking, and I remember that GMs would suspend your account if they spotted you there. This, of course, did not prevent our guild from sponsoring guided tours of the Well of Eternity. Now, in Wow, the Well was this incredibly deep pool of water that took a few minutes to swim to the bottom.

So, a warlock, someone else, and I would go to the Well, use the Warlock's infinite breath buff to swim to the bottom (you are dead for sure without it), and a member of our guild would wander the newbie areas, asking them if they wanted to see the Well of Eternity, a beautiful landmark which Blizzard had concealed from them. It should be a no brainer that we got a lot of takers. The mole would instruct them to destroy their hearthstones, as it "triggered a bug that prevents us from summoning them." Now a Hearthstone is a handy item which teleports you to the last inn you visited: it was sure to mitigate the damage from our ploy. After the newbie(s) had told our mole that his/their stone(s) was destroyed, the mole would relay us his/their name(s) and we would invite them to our party to summon them. As they appeared at the bottom of the well, we would tell them "Welcome to the Well of Eternity!" and swim back to the surface. The screaming newbie would invariably die and find himself in ghost form in Winterspring (?), a top level area, totally unable to reach his corpse. Without his hearthstone, it would be a long, painful walk back to their levelling spot, as monsters much stronger than you will attack you from much farther away, and one shot you.

Anyway, Blizzard hated it when you wandered outside their specifically designated playground, and ended up, after it was known and loved for a long while, removing the glitch. The game died for many top level players back then, as there was nothing to do but join a guild with 40 reliable people and raid for loot...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That reminded me of something actually. Back in Vanilla, there was this guy who would be sitting in IF offering his services of "the baddest assest guitarist guy" in exchange for gold. I talked to him out of sheer boredom (and inebriation) one night and got him to come onto vent to sing a song. The song was barbie girl, and it was during our first attempt at killing Nef. The guild leader was too busy trying to coordinate and one shot this guy to pop over to vent to mute him. Que vent leader freaking out and screaming at everyone to be quiet. I had never heard a grown man cry over a video game until that day.

I ended up paying him a hundred gold or so to go around and do that to a few other people's vents. Not the most hilarious, but looking back, I really hated my guild leader. He was the type of guy that would put friends in raids over people who show up on time, repaired, geared/reagented and comitted and kick out regular raiders to get that friend in.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I don't remember DI ever working that way, unless it was in beta or something (in vanilla it was a 60min cd and party members only).

That did however cause me to think of an old griefing story from when I played WoW back then. Hunters in raids often needed to be able to kite things (grab aggro and run around without getting hit), but the hunters in our guild were really bad at it. So the guy who was in charge of our hunters had the bright idea to teach the other hunters how to do it by taking elite dragonkin warrior guys from the Burning Steppes (the four-legged ground ones with spears) and kiting them to Goldshire (the starter human town). This taught them how to kite properly as well as letting them have a little fun, because dragging one of those guys there could cause some chaos, especially if a lowbie attacked one of them, since the hunter could just feign death and then it'd be on them.

Well, we were goofing off after a raid once and our druid leader decided he wanted to try kiting one of them, even though he didn't really need to learn how. So to mess with him, as a warrior, I waited until he started kiting it and then taunted it, getting aggro from it, and ran the other direction. He thought it was funny, and so we got the bright idea that I should try to kite it all the way too, which would be a lot harder for a warrior.

So instead, we got one of the large dragons that fly around the Burning Steppes and I dragged it all the way down there. You have to keep hitting things or they reset and go back, so this kept getting the dragon to low health. However, they showed me a glitch where if you go into water and stay for a moment, then come out, it would let the dragon bug out to full health but keep following you. So we took this giant firebreathing dragon to the newbie town, and I had aggro on it, so I could just pick a newbie and get the dragon to roast them by standing next to them. It caused a pretty big uproar in the zone at the time and our guildmaster was freaking out because he thought that his main tank and main healer were going to get themselves banned, but nothing really came of it other than a night of laughing at others' expense.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Playing Smackdown games online is really a waste of time. There's so much lag that anything other than running grapples will get you reversed and beaten up for 40+ seconds.

I changed my best character to a black and yellow guy in a mask named "Sprint", sponsored by Sprint. And I would spend the entirety of the match running JUST far enough away that I couldn't be grappled or hit.

JosephPolaski
Jan 21, 2009
As a few people mentioned previously, Jedi Academy had a lot of strange rules such as when your light saber or gun was holstered you were deemed to be neutral and were not to be attacked. People would line up to have saber duels with their sabers down so naturally seeing opportunities to grief I took them such as force choking people to death, sniping them from long range or just kicking them over.

Unfortunately the server I played in had a couple of admins that would not take kindly to this sort of behaviour and were a lot better at abusing their force (and admin) powers than me, so whenever I joined in my regular handle I was instantly knocked to the ground permamenently or kicked. So in order to grief now, I had to get creative and create new handles and mini games. What I would do then would be to do the same as before (sniping, kicking, etc), but instead of trying to outright fight the admins and lose, I used the lighter side of the force (absorb) along with speed to annoy them and run away.

What made the admins so furious doing this was that they could not kill me using their force powers anymore because absorb would just give me all their force points when trying to choke me which let me use speed even more to gain extra advantage. Adding to this I would always jump up on high ledges, giving me the higher ground and the advantage in the fight (rots hurr) allowing me to boot them down to lower decks. When I'd successfully run away from them I would announce the score (1-0) to me and start over again. Usually this resulted in me getting banned because they'd eventualy figure out who it was requiring me to reset my modem to get a new IP. Fun times.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Shumagorath posted:

It was a video with 99 luft balloons over it, had photos of heavies walking backwords up stairs as fast as scouts, some missile jumps, then guys on two fort missile jumping at each other trying to hit each other in the air, with some people toying with others shooting missiles ahead of time, then firing a second missile that blasts the enemy into the first, and a whole lot more. I found it on some old FTP ages ago and I doubt it exists anymore.

EDIT: Not even sure it is two fort anymore.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 28, 2010

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

FoF posted:

No what your seeing is the latency in recordings.

Bingo. It's been postulated that even if recording at 60 FPS, a sniper's reaction "snap to" time can be so quick - in around 30ms, that the shot occurs in between frames, making it look like an impossible kill. FRAPS adds some latency of it's own, and if you're recording on an already sub-par computer, the frames detailing the death can go away.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
There's also the fact that in the Source engine, recorded demos don't account for lag correction that is present in the actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

rotinaj posted:

So let's hear 'em!

I've got a few.

A good friend and I (forum member Node)mastered what we called "town thieving." You could steal items anywhere, including town, but if you did so in town people could call the guards, who would instakill you. The other thing they could do is simply attack you and try to kill you themselves and take their item off your corpse, as you would be flagged hostile to them.

The best places to town thief were banks. Banks had large collections of people, usually with valuable items, and were pretty chaotic. Trinsic in particular was probably the second most populated bank in the game, and the bank happened to be next to a large, totally abandoned building.

Our characters were named Node and Probe. I was Probe, with spiky black hair and a blonde goatee. Node was node, who had long blonde hair and a black full beard. What we would do is one of us would be completely naked, looking quite helpless. The other would be immaculately dressed in full plate or whatnot. The naked person would steal an item of value and then run full speed into the nextdoor abandoned building, where the other person waited. The thief would quickly hand the item off to the other person, who would then casually stroll out of the building, with no apparent connection to the thievery. The person who was robbed would run into the building and either call the guards or murder the thief with their own hands, only to find nothing on the corpse.

The hilarious thing is that at first no one knew what the gently caress, but people tended to use a single town as their hub, so we eventually became pretty well known. However, even when people knew what was coming this trick was almost impossible to stop. People who were on to us would sometimes try to attack the person holding the item, rather than the one who stole it, only to be immediately struck down by guards because that person was "innocent."

We were also challenged to a lot of "duels outside of town." Since our characters had basically no fighting skills we would accept the duel, immediately steal an item once out of town, and then run away.

Hostile flags also wore off after about 5 minutes if no other hostile actions were taken. If we stole a particularly good item we would wait for the flag to wear off, then brazenly walk back into town wearing nothing but whatever item we stole, while spamming in all caps "BROADSWORD OF VANQUISHING FOR SALE (or whatever the stolen item was)" as close to the person who it was stolen from as possible.

I have many more. UO is the only MMORPG to subsume my life for any real amount of time. I will post more later.

• Locked thread