Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That confused the hell out of me when I first moved here. I had no idea what the hell people were talking about on Craigslist when I saw a bike going for really cheap because "back registration due for a few years".
I was used to being able to pull a broken car or bike out of the yard/garage get tags and be on my way.
California is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My girlfriend Becktastic just had her KLR stolen around 2pm by Speedway and COuntry Club in Tucson AZ. It is a Blue 2008 KLR 650. Please Keep an eye out.

email me at (Username) AT gmail.com

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Jabs posted:

Hmm...

What are the requirements (specifically, residency) for taking one of them thar Pennsylvania MSF courses?

I know I'm pretty late on this, but if it hasn't been answered, it's for residents only and requires a permit.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Wait, so in CA they assume that you want the vehicle registered every year, and so you accrue back registration costs if you don't pay them every year?

If that's how it works, it's bloody weird. Here, if you don't pay your rego, the vehicle isn't registered. You don't have to tell the registry you don't want the vehicle registered, they just kinda assume it seeing as you haven't paid anything..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here4DaGangBang posted:

If that's how it works, it's bloody weird. Here, if you don't pay your rego, the vehicle isn't registered. You don't have to tell the registry you don't want the vehicle registered, they just kinda assume it seeing as you haven't paid anything..

I think thats how it works in the rest of the world. You stop paying, and your vehicle stops being road legal.

CA is like a different planet though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, that whole fees-go-with-the-bike-not-the-owner thing is insane. Is there any way you can register it "for now" without paying the back fees just yet? Pass them on to the next guy (and instruct him to do the same.)

gently caress, that's so crazy.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Jack the Smack posted:

Well, after bickering with the DMV for over a month I finally found why I owed so much.

The previous owner didn't pay his registration fees because he wrote a forged check. Now the DMV finds me responcible for the fees, not him, because I bought the bike. I owe $790 because of his bounced check. I don't understand why the state would go after me and not him. WTF?!

They know you have the bike and you want to ride it and they think you have money and incentive. And, they want your money. I knew a guy who owned a truck that was once registered in Kali but moved out of state and they still demanded the reg fees.

Not even in the darkest deepest depths of winter despair would I ever consider moving to Kali. I know 25 million people or so disagree with me, so be it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I would argue the year-round riding, but for you that's not exactly anything special. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armacham posted:

My girlfriend Becktastic just had her KLR stolen around 2pm by Speedway and COuntry Club in Tucson AZ. It is a Blue 2008 KLR 650. Please Keep an eye out.

email me at (Username) AT gmail.com

Who would steal a KLR? Even a new gen...best of luck finding it. Is it insured?

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Wait, so in CA they assume that you want the vehicle registered every year, and so you accrue back registration costs if you don't pay them every year?

See I grew up in CA, so I've always seen not paying registration as the worst thing ever...the idea that a government entity would be smart enough to just lapse your registration is crazy! We've got planned non-operation, where you have to pay money to stop paying money. (18$ and no back fees when you renew it again).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Z3n posted:

Who would steal a KLR? Even a new gen...best of luck finding it. Is it insured?

hell if I know... Yeah its covered, reports all filed, and we put up a dummy craigslist ad looking for a KLR parts bike.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Armacham posted:

...we put up a dummy craigslist ad looking for a KLR parts bike.

That's a really good idea, I think, and I never would have thought of it myself. Thanks. A little tid-bit of cunning to file away for future use. :)

Good luck on her bike, btw.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

the real question is if we get a bite do we call the police, or do we show up with tire irons and shotguns

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My apartment recently had a couple bikes stolen out of the gated parking garage. My KLR was untouched :cool:

Turns out the trick is just to park next to nicer bikes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Armacham posted:

the real question is if we get a bite do we call the police, or do we show up with tire irons and shotguns

My advice would be to ask the police beforehand what they think you should do. I mean, obviously not tire irons and shot guns, but should you go look at it to "see if it has the parts you need" and then call the cops if it's yours (after driving a few blocks away), or do you just call them in the first place?

I say print up a couple fake checks and just defraud them. :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armacham posted:

It's AZ, you get the cops to provide backup while you go in with tire irons and shotguns.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It's worse than that. My brother in law's tags expired on his Dakota, and they got a Permit of Non-Operation for it, which they presumed allowed them to let it sit in their driveway while he was in New York working on the new Smurfs Movie (Quentin Tarantino as Brainy Smurf - sounds promising!).
Turns out, they needed a permit of Non-Use.

Aren't those the same loving thing anywhere else in the world?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Z3n posted:

Float is sticking. You can try tapping the carb that's leaking with something plastic to try and break it loose, but you're best off pulling them down and replacing the float.

I tried tapping the carb, I tried pulling them out and jiggling the float. Both floats look fine to my untrained eye. I'm gonna take 'em in at this point because ... bleh.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Jabs posted:

It's worse than that. My brother in law's tags expired on his Dakota, and they got a Permit of Non-Operation for it, which they presumed allowed them to let it sit in their driveway while he was in New York working on the new Smurfs Movie (Quentin Tarantino as Brainy Smurf - sounds promising!).
Turns out, they needed a permit of Non-Use.

Aren't those the same loving thing anywhere else in the world?

Maybe you can still ride it with the motor off like a sled downhill with the non-operation.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Armacham posted:

A semiautomatic carbine would be a better idea if you're planning to go all :jihad: on some dudes.

Comedy-option gunfighting suggestions aside, contacting the cops first is your best bet here.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Jabs posted:

he was in New York working on the new Smurfs Movie (Quentin Tarantino as Brainy Smurf - sounds promising!).

WTF? Are you serious about this?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Jack the Smack posted:

The previous owner didn't pay his registration fees because he wrote a forged check. Now the DMV finds me responcible for the fees, not him, because I bought the bike. I owe $790 because of his bounced check. I don't understand why the state would go after me and not him. WTF?!

gently caress a lot of that poo poo, what an assinine way to do things.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

The NonBornKing posted:

WTF? Are you serious about this?
Deadly serious. Part of Wendy's family works in Show-Biz.
Esther's 'complication' is an Art Director/Sculptor on The Smurfs, and Esther is an animal trainer training 4 *darling* Beagles for I Am Number Four.
This is why Wendy was in California for a couple months (playing nanny), and (to hear Wendy tell it) Z3n and I got to have a motorcycle-themed 'date night' :rofl: while I was visiting her in March. (To be fair, he and I totally geeked out on bieks, while she and Bunway_Airlines talked shop on their 'thing'...)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 20, 2010

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
It's a pain in the rear end, but it makes sense from the state's perspective. Registration is focused on the vehicle rather than the owner. The situation discussed in the thread sucks, but it prevents people from skipping registration shenanigans by "selling" the bike to friends and relatives. For savvy buyers it' can be a great negotiating point. I've had people drop the price on vehicles by loads of cash when I bring up past due or near-due registration.

California is a weird place and has it's problems, but every state does. At least I can buy booze without going through some weird shenanigans and legal loopholes.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 20, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

The situation discussed in the thread sucks, but it prevents people from skipping registration shenanigans by "selling" the bike to friends and relatives.

What kind of shenanigans can there be? It's simple. You want to ride it, it has to be registered. Period.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

OrangeFurious posted:

At least I can buy booze without going through some weird shenanigans and legal loopholes.

This almost makes up for the registration bullshit. Coming from Pennsylvania, one of the most rear end-backwards states in regards to alcohol sales, California is a paradise when I can walk into any grocery store and buy just about any liquor, beer or wine along with regular groceries. :swoon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sirbeefalot posted:

This almost makes up for the registration bullshit. Coming from Pennsylvania, one of the most rear end-backwards states in regards to alcohol sales, California is a paradise when I can walk into any grocery store and buy just about any liquor, beer or wine along with regular groceries. :swoon:

Wow, coming from Milwaukee, BeerCity USA, I had no idea you couldnt do this everywhere.

windex and beer
Apr 9, 2007
49er Fanatic
Question, what is the difference between the Honda Shadow 600's and the 750's. Is it just engine size, or is the whole bike smaller/bigger?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

windex and beer posted:

Question, what is the difference between the Honda Shadow 600's and the 750's. Is it just engine size, or is the whole bike smaller/bigger?

Yeah, just a slightly larger engine and more power. Bike frame and ergos should be the same.

windex and beer
Apr 9, 2007
49er Fanatic

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, just a slightly larger engine and more power. Bike frame and ergos should be the same.

Thank you! Would it be safe to say that about the 1100 as well? Same ergo too? Sorry for being dumb =/

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

windex and beer posted:

Thank you! Would it be safe to say that about the 1100 as well? Same ergo too? Sorry for being dumb =/

Just remember, there are no stupid questions - just stupid people ... wait... :haw:

No, it's fine really. It depends on the year, but yes, I'm pretty sure the 1100s are a little bigger (longer) and have bigger tanks.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm trying to restore a motorcycle that hasn't run in awhile. I just finished putting some oil in the cylinders, letting it sit overnight, then turning the motor by hand. Now that I've gone that far, what are the next series of things I can check to make sure the bike isn't junk. Compression checks I assume? Can I do that while turning the engine by hand? At what point am I successful in my non-junkifying of the bike? If the motor turns and has compression, is it time to move on to rebuilding carbs and getting the wiring sorted?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Compression check may not be a bad idea except I've seen some pretty low numbers in bikes that haven't run for a while probably due to crud in the valve seats and sticky rings. You are on the right track with carb rebuilding and checking over the wiring.
If it were mine and it spins freely as you say I'd rebuild the carbs and replace the battery. Try firing it up and see how it sounds. If it's all good then proceed to the rest of the stuff it needs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Korwen posted:

I'm trying to restore a motorcycle that hasn't run in awhile. I just finished putting some oil in the cylinders, letting it sit overnight, then turning the motor by hand. Now that I've gone that far, what are the next series of things I can check to make sure the bike isn't junk. Compression checks I assume? Can I do that while turning the engine by hand? At what point am I successful in my non-junkifying of the bike? If the motor turns and has compression, is it time to move on to rebuilding carbs and getting the wiring sorted?

I assume you already checked the oil for anything bad and the filter and replaced it with fresh stuff?

I'd turn it over with the valve cover off and check for the valves doing valve things as you turn it over. Then I'd do a compression check or try and fire it up with some starter fluid or something.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Z3n posted:

I assume you already checked the oil for anything bad and the filter and replaced it with fresh stuff?

I'd turn it over with the valve cover off and check for the valves doing valve things as you turn it over. Then I'd do a compression check or try and fire it up with some starter fluid or something.

I put in some fresh oil just to make sure it had oil in it, but I hadn't done the whole change it routine. I'm trying to minimize the amount of money I spend before I can fully determine whether or not it's going to be a parts bike. I pulled the carbs off, they were stuck pretty drat hard open. Plan is to check valvetrain and do oil/filter. If that checks out I'll have the battery and the carb rebuild kits come in, get that done and then I'll see if I can get it started.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Korwen posted:

I put in some fresh oil just to make sure it had oil in it, but I hadn't done the whole change it routine. I'm trying to minimize the amount of money I spend before I can fully determine whether or not it's going to be a parts bike. I pulled the carbs off, they were stuck pretty drat hard open. Plan is to check valvetrain and do oil/filter. If that checks out I'll have the battery and the carb rebuild kits come in, get that done and then I'll see if I can get it started.

Don't bother with the carb rebuild kits or the battery until you verify the engine isn't hosed. Jump it and check for spark, check compression, try using starter fluid if everything in the valve train seems ok.

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...
My '05 Bonneville's neutral indicator light came on and wont go off. I can start, shift gears, and ride around but it just stays on all the time.

Full disclosure: I just put new exhausts on, re-jetted the carbs, and replaced the stock airbox with pod filters. The last one required cutting off some plastic parts on the inside of the bike but I was exceptionally careful and I'm quite confident I didn't damage anything.

I imagine the neutral sensor is where I should start but I've never seen this before so I'm not sure.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've got a bit of oil seeping out from around one of the inlets on my oil cooler, anything I can use to seal it? My Dad suggested Silastic.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Milton posted:

My '05 Bonneville's neutral indicator light came on and wont go off. I can start, shift gears, and ride around but it just stays on all the time.

Full disclosure: I just put new exhausts on, re-jetted the carbs, and replaced the stock airbox with pod filters. The last one required cutting off some plastic parts on the inside of the bike but I was exceptionally careful and I'm quite confident I didn't damage anything.

I imagine the neutral sensor is where I should start but I've never seen this before so I'm not sure.

You likely pinched the neutral light wire. The switch itself is down in the engine and works by grounding the bulb, somehow you managed to supply that ground.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I've got a bit of oil seeping out from around one of the inlets on my oil cooler, anything I can use to seal it? My Dad suggested Silastic.

If it's connected by banjo bolts you probably just need a new crush washer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ola posted:

If it's connected by banjo bolts you probably just need a new crush washer.

It's not banjos, but Bikebandit.com's schematics to the rescue! There's an o-ring in there apparently. I'll have to replace it next oil change.

9 is the trouble maker.