Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Rhgr posted:

Saw them in a tiny room that held less than 50 people, was utterly mindblowing. (Also the guitarist looks like Paul Scholes)

Agreeing with both of these points, I saw them up in Preston, and yes the resemblence is quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danneh
Jan 3, 2007

If Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch.

Bagpuss posted:

I went up to Birmingham to see ASIWYFA when they opened for TWDY and just stole the show. I also managed to see them twice last week and they have got to be one of the best live acts I've ever seen. Their The Letters EP has completely blown me away, I probably listen to it 2-3 times a day.

Last.fm says it might have been eaststrikewest at the Camden gig, I've heard some good stuff about them and they are on my 'to listen to' list.

Thats the one, cheers for that mate! I was late on getting in and so only saw their half of their set, but I really enjoyed it.

And yeah, I've been listening to ASIWYFA's material ever since I saw them, it just takes me back to being there and still sends shivers down me when I hear it. "K is for Killing Spree" is probably my favourite track, its completely unpredictable the whole way through and the dynamics compliment it so well.

Chris Wee (drummer) sold me their S/T album after the show, he's definitely one of the most impressive drummers I've ever seen. Not to say the others don't do a great job of contributing to the powerhouse effect they have on stage, but he's built like a tank and mixes a great amount of technique and speed with really complimentive beats.

Danneh fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 15, 2010

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Do yourself a favor and check out The Mercury Program, they have a heavy jazz influence with a prominent rhythm section, and a lot of rhodes piano and vibraphone as their signature sound.
http://www.myspace.com/themercuryprogram

Slightly Drifting is probably my favorite song of theirs for what it's worth.

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.

thehustler posted:

Agreeing with both of these points, I saw them up in Preston, and yes the resemblence is quite good.

They played Academy 2 in Newcastle maybe two weeks ago, and I was surprised they didn't draw a bigger crowd since they've played here before. They're still thunderous when they play, and the new songs sound good too.

ediment
Aug 2, 2007

Don't chain me down with your manners!
I just read the last 15 or so pages of this thread and am surprised to see no mention of ...Of Sinking Ships. If you're a fan of This Will Destroy You, EITS, God is an Astronaut, you should enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrtM2qvIwhg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ediment posted:

I just read the last 15 or so pages of this thread and am surprised to see no mention of ...Of Sinking Ships. If you're a fan of This Will Destroy You, EITS, God is an Astronaut, you should enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrtM2qvIwhg

Well it's in the OP....

But yeah, it's a great album. The founding member is the ex-bassist of Hopesfall, a post-hardcore band, and honestly Of Sinking Ships sounds like instrumentals for a post-hardcore band, but more mellow. If you like the instrumentation of a lot of post-hardcore but can't listen to it regularly because of the annoying screaming like I do, you'll love this.

It's too bad OSS only has one album. I mean, it's fantastic, but I just listened to it so much in 07 when I found out about it that I completely wore it out. Their MySpace says they're in the studio, though, or at least they were as of Fall 08. Though the blog says the album was supposed to be finished by late 08, and it never came out, so I don't know what happened there.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Caspian was insanely loving good. So jealous of that dude seeing them + Red Sparowes

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=122&title=title_383&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

65daysofstatic - Tiger Girl

Yes. THAT song.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Anyone else going to go see God Is an Astronaut and/or 65daysofstatic when they come through Cork in May? Cyprus Lane is a good venue, I'm excited for the 1st and the 16th.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Arujei posted:

Anyone else going to go see God Is an Astronaut and/or 65daysofstatic when they come through Cork in May? Cyprus Lane is a good venue, I'm excited for the 1st and the 16th.

65dos will loving own in a venue that small, can't loving wait :razz:

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I'm not sure if his solo record is considered post rock, but i saw Sigur Ros' front man Jonsi live last night and it was pretty incredible. The song he did for the encore reminded of how they do Untitled #8 live. It just ends up in a distorted mess of awesome. The set was one of the best Ive seen too. I hope they release a DVD.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Beowulf LaGrange posted:

Caspian was insanely loving good. So jealous of that dude seeing them + Red Sparowes

After seeing both of them separately this week I can safely say that this would be The Longest Show Ever.

Both were good on their own though.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Pantalones! posted:

After seeing both of them separately this week I can safely say that this would be The Longest Show Ever.

Both were good on their own though.
I saw them last night; Caspian played for about 40 minutes and Red Sparowes about one hour.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

https://www.myspace.com/65propaganda

ALL of the new album for streaming.

Edit: Oh god Piano Fights :fap:

Edit: Oh god Come With Me has one "R. Smith" doing guest vocals on it. :fap:

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 20, 2010

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

thehustler posted:

Just listening to it now and this is loving amazing.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

thehustler posted:

Ugh finally I've been waiting forever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

Well gently caress, only on the second track but this is already WAY better than I thought it would be.

I think this is actually the first album to come out this year from an artist I like that hasn't disappointed me.

I'm so going to rock the poo poo out of this in my car when I get a hard copy.

edit: Just finished Piano Fights. I know "epic" is overused when describing post-rock and all, but every single track so far has been epic as gently caress.

edit2: Debutante :aaaaa:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 20, 2010

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
The "dunk dunk" end to the bridge in Dance Dance Dance is awesome, this is an amazing album.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

thehustler posted:

Was going to wait for my CD to come, but goddamnit couldn't resist and goddamn is it fantastic, I was expecting an amazing album, but this is probably the best thing I've heard from a Post Rock band since The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place. Can't loving wait to see them live.

bakeddogbeans
Nov 2, 2004
Cranium Warrior
I'm attempting to expand my musical horizons from metal and punk into other genres of music. What do you guys consider a good starting place into post-rock? I tend to like darker melodies and lots of atmosphere as opposed to happy sing-along type music (if that makes sense and helps?)

So feel free to recommend away while I work backwards in this thread!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RasaFrasa posted:

I'm attempting to expand my musical horizons from metal and punk into other genres of music. What do you guys consider a good starting place into post-rock? I tend to like darker melodies and lots of atmosphere as opposed to happy sing-along type music (if that makes sense and helps?)

You aren't going to find much if any sing-along stuff in post-rock considering it's largely instrumental. A lot of post-rock tunes are catchy and you'll be whistling them a lot (if you're like me), but most don't have a chorus or anything.

For darker stuff, you'll probably want bands like Pelican, Russian Circles, Cult Of Luna, Isis, Red Sparowes, North, and Jesu. A few of those are actually classified as post-metal, so if you're coming from a metal background like you say you are, you'll probably find those easy enough to get into.

There are a bunch of post-rock bands that have darker tunes every now and then, but I'd say to start listening to those few first. If you like their sound, definitely check out the likes of Caspian, Mono, and Explosions In The Sky. They alternate between light and dark melodies, for the most part. Mono's kind of the exception, though. They tend to make more bleak sounding stuff.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 21, 2010

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RasaFrasa posted:

I maintain Mogwai's Young Team is one of the best albums I've ever heard, and it was my first post-rock album.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What, someone asks about dark melodies and atmosphere, and no one's mentioned Godspeed You! Black Emperor?

Also, if you really want emphasis on the dark part, try out Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain the collaborative album between Mono and World's End Girlfriend.

Jan fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 21, 2010

bakeddogbeans
Nov 2, 2004
Cranium Warrior
Great recommendations guys! I'm finding a lot to love!

Thanks to all of you, for sure.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles and those bands aren't dark. They're just heavier.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

albear posted:

Isis, Pelican, Russian Circles and those bands aren't dark. They're just heavier.

Yeah, I wanted to make a comment on that but couldn't place my finger on the exact distinction. In my head, the terms "darker, melodic, atmosphere, metal" directly reminded me of Opeth, so I just suggested what came to mind when I replaced "metal" with "post-rock" in that enumeration.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

When I think of dark, I immediately think of Chopin, not some band that is all wall of boring distortion like Pelican.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, sorry. But when I'm trying to think of "dark" post-rock, that's what comes to mind. I think of that stuff as darker, and "Your Hand In Mine"/Sigur Ros type post-rock as lighter. Is that really wrong?

I can see Godspeed being dark, but even though they were the fist post-rock band I ever heard, I can't in good conscience recommend them as a starter band to anyone trying to get into post-rock. Their stuff isn't terribly accessible and not many other post-rock bands have their kind of sound, so I wouldn't say they're a great representation of the genre as a whole.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 21, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Alright, sorry. But when I'm trying to think of "dark" post-rock, that's what comes to mind. I think of that stuff as darker, and "Your Hand In Mine"/Sigur Ros type post-rock as lighter. Is that really wrong?

I can see Godspeed being dark, but even though they were the fist post-rock band I ever heard, I can't in good conscience recommend them as a starter band to anyone trying to get into post-rock. Their stuff isn't terribly accessible and not many other post-rock bands have their kind of sound, so I wouldn't see they're a great representation of the genre as a whole.

Heavy and dark aren't the same thing. I can agree that "Your Hand In Mine" and Sigur Ros are very much hopeful sounding though.

Also I'd say that GYBE are a great representation of the genre considering every other post-rock band pretty much has been influenced by them at one point or another. Maybe you can't get into them as easily but I think they can be very accessible.

An album I think is pretty dark sounding is A Silver Mt. Zion's first release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_W7ydnPtB4

albear fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Heavy and dark aren't the same thing. I can agree that "Your Hand In Mine" and Sigur Ros are very much hopeful sounding though.

Also I'd say that GYBE are a great representation of the genre considering every other post-rock band pretty much has been influenced by them at one point or another. Maybe you can't get into them as easily but I think they can be very accessible.

An album I think is pretty dark sounding is A Silver Mt. Zion's first release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_W7ydnPtB4

I think anyone who gets into post-rock and has heard a lot of it and likes it should listen to Godspeed, so they can see how they influenced basically every post-rock band. I just don't think someone who wants to get into post-rock should listen to them when they're just starting out with the genre.

Think about it, what's more likely to turn someone on to a certain style of music? A 5 or 10 minute long song that has poo poo going on for its entire duration, or a 25 minute long song where nothing of value happens for the first 5 minutes?

albear
Jun 7, 2001

I think anyone who gets into post-rock and has heard a lot of it and likes it should listen to Godspeed, so they can see how they influenced basically every post-rock band. I just don't think someone who wants to get into post-rock should listen to them when they're just starting out with the genre.

Think about it, what's more likely to turn someone on to a certain style of music? A 5 or 10 minute long song that has poo poo going on for its entire duration, or a 25 minute long song where nothing of value happens for the first 5 minutes?

Depends on if they're someone who comes from a background listening to pop music where they need immediate gratification from their music or someone who can be patient to get the payoff of having such great build ups.

You're also very much overstating the calm parts during GYBE songs but if you get bored, I guess you can put on This Will Destroy You or something. That should be derivative enough to get the gist of what GYBE offered to the music community.

albear fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Depends on if they're someone who comes from a background listening to pop music where they need immediate gratification from their music or someone who can be patient to get the payoff of having such great build ups.

I know my opnion isn't the most popular here when it comes to GYBE, I just think that buildups can be done just fine, even better than Godspeed's with shorter songs. Personally, I'd rather listen to a song that always has something going on that warrants me listening to it, as opposed to Godspeed where that only happens for a percentage of the runtime of one of their songs.

It's not that I hate ambience or anything. Hell, I've made ambient music myself. And one of my favorite bands is The Mars Volta. I just think there's a right way to do music like that and a wrong way, and while Godspeed isn't terrible at it, they're not amazing at it either.

That's why I'm of the opinion that GYBE laid some of the groundwork for post-rock, and bands that have come after them took their formula and refined it, made it better.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 21, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

I know my opnion isn't the most popular here when it comes to GYBE, I just think that buildups can be done just fine, even better than Godspeed's with shorter songs. Personally, I'd rather listen to a song that always has something going on that warrants me listening to it, as opposed to Godspeed where that only happens for a percentage of the runtime of one of their songs.

It's not that I hate ambience or anything. Hell, I've made ambient music myself. And one of my favorite bands is The Mars Volta. I just think there's a right way to do music like that and a wrong way, and while Godspeed isn't terrible at it, they're not amazing at it either.

That's why I'm of the opinion that GYBE laid some of the groundwork for post-rock, and bands that have come after them took their formula and refined it, made it better.

Wait, did you really imply that The Mars Volta make ambient music? :psyduck:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Wait, did you really imply that The Mars Volta make ambient music? :psyduck:

No, I'm just saying I much prefer the ambient sections of The Mars Volta's songs to Godspeed's.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

No, I'm just saying I much prefer the ambient sections of The Mars Volta's songs to Godspeed's.

You may need to listen to more ambient music. Start with the newest Ben Frost album.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GYBE was the second post-rock band I listened to after EiTS and I didn't have any problem getting into them; Lift Your Skinny Fists quickly became of my favorite albums and even after listening to it about a dozen times I still get excited when I hear those songs.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Dead Flag Blues is a pretty dark GY!BE song I dunno bout you guys. They are also a good entry band alongside Explosions and Sigur Ros and all that. Also GY!BE does some pretty cool ambient interludes with the city sounds and quiet guitar build up like in East Hastings.

I'm happy to finally hear a studio version of Come to Me on the new 65dos, I watched the youtube video of that so, so many times, and this version is awesome even if it is fairly different.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Post Rock at this stage is a pretty lame genre tag (I know this argument has been done to death, but it's relevant here). 65daysofstatic and Godspeed (as an example) have nearly nothing in common other than being purveyors of starting out quiet and building up loud, so in that sense "getting into" the genre is difficult as what you're reccomended might be nothing like what you want. I know people who are rabid EITS fanboys, but think Godspeed are pretentious wankers.

Someone saying "I want to get into post rock, what do I listen to" could get a million different responses, between Sigur Ros / Godspeed / Mogwai / Explosions In Ther Sky / 65daysofstatic / Do Make Say Think we have 5 different bands, widly considered to be at the forefront of the genre, yet none of them sound alike.

Generally I would consider EITS to be the best band to listen to, they do the guitar based quiet / loud dynamic and they do it brilliantly, only problem is 75% of other post rock bands are basically kids in a garage trying to recreate that and it sounds horrible.

GY!BE probably aren't the best starting point, because their albums take effort to enjoy, you need to pay attention to every bit to get the full effect, while bands like And So I Watch You From Afar / Maybeshewill are songs you can do while you do anything and still enjoy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I don't see what's wrong with GY!BE as a starting point. It's been almost 8 years now, but I distinctly remember starting out with GY!BE, Mogwai and Sigur Rós. I've branched out in many other bands that were considered alike (ATPR didn't exist back then.) but always came back to the first two.

Granted, there's been an explosion of derivative bands since then, and I've settled into a happier middle ground, but it's not like long and drawn-out songs automatically make for inaccessible songs. It just means your average, radio-listening, pop-loving plebe won't like it, and quite honestly, that's not who we're trying to reach here is it? :smugdog:

Edit: But then I consider MONO to be bright and happy, and EITS steps beyond that to be downright insipid. I saw EITS live for their tour All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone and I sort of liked it but eventually I realized I enjoyed Eluvium opening for them a lot more than I liked EITS themselves.

Double edit: It had been a hell of a while since I'd listened to GY!BE, and I just listened to Moya again. Man, that song is a dirge to rival any.

Jan fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Jan posted:

Granted, there's been an explosion of derivative bands since then, and I've settled into a happier middle ground, but it's not like long and drawn-out songs automatically make for inaccessible songs. It just means your average, radio-listening, pop-loving plebe won't like it, and quite honestly, that's not who we're trying to reach here is it? :smugdog:

We can save them!

Also EITS peaked when they released The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, enjoying Eluvium more than them is the right way of going about it :smug: :respek: :smug: