Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007
Sigur Ros' is mostly hopeful yeah, but to me at least Untitled 8 and Hun Joro (closest spelling I can achieve on the fly) are some of the darker songs I've heard out of the genre. I can understand how someone would disagree that 8 is dark, but to me it comes off as an incredibly dark song.

I think Mogwai is one of the best bands to start with, just because to me at least their songs kind of cover most of what's offered by post-rock, and what they do they do really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Back somewhere towards the 90s, I remember EITS, GYBE, and DMST being the starting points towards this genre.

Rhgr posted:

Also EITS peaked when they released The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place, enjoying Eluvium more than them is the right way of going about it :smug: :respek: :smug:

More like "Those Who Tell the Truth..." and Eluvium were never as entertaining.

albear fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 21, 2010

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Back somewhere towards the 90s, I remember EITS, GYBE, and DMST being the starting points towards this genre.

Yeah, but it's 2010. There are many more choices available as far as post-rock goes now. Those bands are still good recommendations, and they should still be listened to by any fan of the genre, but there are more bands out now that make it easier to jump right in to post-rock. That was the point I was trying to make.

Though, EITS was the second post-rock band I ever listened to. And after thinking Godspeed had some good parts but wasn't very accessible, EITS was just what I was looking for. I found myself whistling most of their tunes to myself after just a few days. They're super accessible. But they are more hopeful/"light" sounding. I don't mind that at all, since I'm a fan of both sides of the spectrum. Just saying, to someone who wants darker melodies to start with, I don't think EITS would be the best recommendation for them.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

ol moon in the sky posted:

Sigur Ros' is mostly hopeful yeah, but to me at least Untitled 8 and Hun Joro (closest spelling I can achieve on the fly) are some of the darker songs I've heard out of the genre. I can understand how someone would disagree that 8 is dark, but to me it comes off as an incredibly dark song.
I'd have to agree, the first half of () is upbeat and hopeful but the second half takes a turn for the dark and dismal.

The new 65DOS has got to be the best full album I've heard so far this year. Can't wait to seem 'em in Bristol!

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Figured this would be the best thread to ask in: is there anything stylistically like Slint - Spiderland, only instrumental? I could get into Spiderland more if the vocals didn't ruin it for me, because the music itself is really good.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Hey let's talk about how Olafur Arnalds is releasing a better album than 65daysofstatic because it's true.

Andre Weed 420
Feb 19, 2007

by angerbot

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, but it's 2010. There are many more choices available as far as post-rock goes now. Those bands are still good recommendations, and they should still be listened to by any fan of the genre, but there are more bands out now that make it easier to jump right in to post-rock. That was the point I was trying to make.

Though, EITS was the second post-rock band I ever listened to. And after thinking Godspeed had some good parts but wasn't very accessible, EITS was just what I was looking for. I found myself whistling most of their tunes to myself after just a few days. They're super accessible. But they are more hopeful/"light" sounding. I don't mind that at all, since I'm a fan of both sides of the spectrum. Just saying, to someone who wants darker melodies to start with, I don't think EITS would be the best recommendation for them.

Red Sparowes is extremely dark in my opinion, all of their songs of Every Red Heart.. have a depressing feel to them.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the new 65dos album is post-rock at all? I mean I feel like it can't even be compared to most post-rock bands

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Andre Weed 420 posted:

Red Sparowes is extremely dark in my opinion, all of their songs of Every Red Heart.. have a depressing feel to them.

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the new 65dos album is post-rock at all? I mean I feel like it can't even be compared to most post-rock bands

I don't think it's really post-rock either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Honestly, I've never thought of 65daysofstatic as post-rock. I love them, but they get labeled as post-rock a lot and I don't know why. I'd consider them electronic. Which kind of electronic, I don't know. But they don't sound like most post-rock bands, that's for sure.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Honestly, I've never thought of 65daysofstatic as post-rock. I love them, but they get labeled as post-rock a lot and I don't know why. I'd consider them electronic. Which kind of electronic, I don't know. But they don't sound like most post-rock bands, that's for sure.

Early on, especially with The Fall of Math, they sounded like some math-rock offshoot of post-rock. But yah, I'm not quite sure what to make of this newest release.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Is awesome a genre?

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

Psycho Mantits posted:

Figured this would be the best thread to ask in: is there anything stylistically like Slint - Spiderland, only instrumental? I could get into Spiderland more if the vocals didn't ruin it for me, because the music itself is really good.

http://www.myspace.com/themercuryprogram perhaps? I'm not really sure.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

albear posted:

Heh. Look at this guy with his opinion. Time to show him mine :smug:

albear
Jun 7, 2001

:hfive:

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Holy poo poo, that 65dos album. Tiger Girl...jesus gently caress, what a song.

To the dude trying out post rock, seriously just listen to Mogwai at first. If you like it, move on to the more traditional stuff like EiTS and GYBE. Mr. Beast and Young Team are both phenomenal albums, in my opinion. For more dark stuff, you should probably look at crossovers like sludge or black metal/post rock hybrids, although they are much more metal so skip it if you're not interested in that... Heretoir, Mouth of the Architect and maybe Red Sparrowes for more traditional post-rock.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I too listened to the stream of 65 Days of Summer and had a hard time classifying it as post-rock in the vein of GY!BE, Mogwai, and EITS.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I too listened to the stream of 65 Days of Summer and had a hard time classifying it as post-rock in the vein of GY!BE, Mogwai, and EITS.

I was really drunk at a show of there's (not obnoxiously so) and talked to them for a bit. I told them they were one of my favorite post rock bands I've seen live and one of they dudes laughed and said something along of "were not post rock, were just a rock band". In sober hindsight If I were them i don't think I'd want to be referred to as post rock either.

trw
Dec 24, 2003
The Swedish band Khoma has released a new album which is as awesome as all their other stuff. If you haven't heard them, check out http://www.myspace.com/khoma and listen to Harvest, One of us must hang and Medea. They have been described in swedish media as a post-rock mixture of Radiohead and Neurosis. Don't know how accurate that is, but it's a drat good band.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

I'd add Ny Batteri and Hjartað Hammast to that list too, it sounded like the new album was going to be similar until they scrapped it.

The Ninth Layer posted:

GYBE was the second post-rock band I listened to after EiTS and I didn't have any problem getting into them; Lift Your Skinny Fists quickly became of my favorite albums and even after listening to it about a dozen times I still get excited when I hear those songs.

This was the exact order I got into post-rock with, and I still think Sleep and Storm are the best songs the genre has ever produced.

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007

Lord of Sword posted:

I'd add Ny Batteri and Hjartað Hammast to that list too, it sounded like the new album was going to be similar until they scrapped it.

Yeah I can see what you mean, and the news that they just scrapped it killed me, especially because it certainly seems like we might never get another Sigur Ros album, and they are by far my favorite band.

Sleep is my favorite by GY!BE as well

I guess I may as well ask this here, cause why not. My favorite bands in the genre are Sigur Ros, GY!BE, Mogwai, Arms and Sleepers, and downy (I don't know if downy/Arms are considered post-rock but yeah). I really really like the more ambient or more 'out there' stuff, and generally really dislike most of the post-rock bands that, at least, to me, come off as the generic more 'Explosions'-inspired bands (I like EitS just fine but the 900 bands that try to emulate them never do it well in my opinion). Any recommendations?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

I guess I may as well ask this here, cause why not. My favorite bands in the genre are Sigur Ros, GY!BE, Mogwai, Arms and Sleepers, and downy (I don't know if downy/Arms are considered post-rock but yeah). I really really like the more ambient or more 'out there' stuff, and generally really dislike most of the post-rock bands that, at least, to me, come off as the generic more 'Explosions'-inspired bands (I like EitS just fine but the 900 bands that try to emulate them never do it well in my opinion). Any recommendations?

The American Dollar.

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007

Rhgr posted:

The American Dollar.

Yeeeeees, perfect, this is exactly the type of band I like, thanks a lot. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Yeeeeees, perfect, this is exactly the type of band I like, thanks a lot. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.

As far as ambient-ish post rock goes, Lights Out Asia, Gregor Samsa, French Teen Idol and Temjiin come to mind, as well as Aidan Baker (beware though, he shits out a new CD on average every month or so, there's a lot to shift through as his style varies).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Do Make Say Think, Tortoise and Caspian are also real ambient and will put you to sleep instantly. :smugdog:

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

BARK

PSYCHOSIS

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.

Jan posted:

Do Make Say Think, Tortoise and Caspian are also real ambient and will put you to sleep instantly. :smugdog:

Also putting forward Lights At Sea, Signal Hill, This Will Destroy You and The Six Parts Seven as potential mellower artists you might like. My friend and I actually fell asleep at 10 Years of ATP in December, listening to the 2am Tortoise set.

I also can't find Albinobeach's EP online to buy anywhere, for love nor money. It looks like their record label, Forgotten Empires, just flat don't sell it any more :(.

Souldark fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 23, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I hope you don't think "this music is so good it put me to sleep" is a way to compliment a band.

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Tortoise are very relaxing, but Stars of the Lid take the prize for music you can actually lull yourself to sleep with.

E: well, what I remember of them was pretty good, but I do think it was an error placing their slot so late on...

Souldark fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 23, 2010

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

I hope you don't think "this music is so good it put me to sleep" is a way to compliment a band.

I for one was being facetious. The bands I mention bore me to death so I meant it in a non-complimentary sort of way.

But I imagine for people who enjoy ambient music more, it could actually become a compliment.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

The best kind of ambient music is kinda hosed up and unnerving and you can't really sleep to it unless you want to have strange dreams.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

slowdave posted:

The best kind of ambient music is kinda hosed up and unnerving and you can't really sleep to it unless you want to have strange dreams.

William Basinski :smugdog:

ol moon in the sky
Aug 3, 2007

slowdave posted:

Yeah definitely, that's the type of thing I look for most. When I say I like more ambient music I don't mean that I like the very very mellow, white noise-ish type (although sometimes that is good as well, but I understand why people think it's boring), I like music that creates a very strange/cool/creepy/unique atmosphere, very stoner-ish music if I'm gonna be honest.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
is post-rock dead now?

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Yeah definitely, that's the type of thing I look for most. When I say I like more ambient music I don't mean that I like the very very mellow, white noise-ish type (although sometimes that is good as well, but I understand why people think it's boring), I like music that creates a very strange/cool/creepy/unique atmosphere, very stoner-ish music if I'm gonna be honest.

Nadja should be right up your alley.

Steve Winwood posted:

is post-rock dead now?

What are you basing this on? Yeah, 90% of new post rock bands are basically EITS ripoffs, but there's a lot going on with that other 10%.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rhgr posted:

but there's a lot going on with that other 10%.

seems like it's treading the same ground to be honest with you

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Early Stars of the Lid is pretty moody, subtle and more exciting than their newer works, even to the point of sounding quite creepy. Music For Nitrous Oxide is a case in point here. The Ballasted Orchestra, too, which in my opinion is their magnum opus. Pretty drat close to ambient perfection.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Rhgr posted:

Nadja should be right up your alley.

What are you basing this on? Yeah, 90% of new post rock bands are basically EITS ripoffs, but there's a lot going on with that other 10%.

I like a lot of the bands in that 10% more than some of the 'classic' post-rock bands, especially sleepmakeswaves. I don't know any other band that sounds like them but they're still as post-rock as you can get. Plus it seems to have branched out or merged with other genres like math-rock or prog.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Lord of Sword posted:

sleepmakeswaves. I don't know any other band that sounds like them but they're still as post-rock as you can get.

if you sent me this as a bunch of mp3's and labeled it 'this will destroy you' I wouldn't second guess you at all

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Lord of Sword posted:

I like a lot of the bands in that 10% more than some of the 'classic' post-rock bands, especially sleepmakeswaves. I don't know any other band that sounds like them but they're still as post-rock as you can get. Plus it seems to have branched out or merged with other genres like math-rock or prog.

Sleepmakeswaves are very hit and miss for me really, I loved their self titled EP, their album was pretty bad except for One Day.. but their split EP was pretty good. Respect for trying something different though, no idea how the poster above me thinks they sound like TWDY.

If you want some "outside the box" post rock though, try From Monument to Masses or Beast Please Be Still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where I can find the Mogwai/gently caress Buttons split where Mogwai covers "Colours Move" and the gently caress Buttons cover "Mogwai Fear Satan?" Because those are 2 awesome songs and I'd love to find that. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for the vinyl, and an mp3 copy would be equally awesome.