Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Z3n posted:

Don't bother with the carb rebuild kits or the battery until you verify the engine isn't hosed. Jump it and check for spark, check compression, try using starter fluid if everything in the valve train seems ok.

Can I use the kick start to check for compression, or is putting back on carbs and jumping it the way? I have a funny feeling I'm going to need new wires and def. need new plugs, and if I can just insert the compression tester, and kick it a few times to see what the compression is I'd rather do that, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

What kind of shenanigans can there be? It's simple. You want to ride it, it has to be registered. Period.

Shenanigans like "Oh poo poo, I'm 6 years behind on my registration. I'll just transfer title over to my wife to wipe the slate clean."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't see how that would (should) stop the person who failed to pay the registration from still having to pay that registration. The bike is under your name, you owe the money. Selling a bike shouldn't be a retroactive thing, i.e. by buying a bike, I don't suddenly take responsibility for any accidents that bike was involved in during the previous owner's time, even if that owner failed to pay registration fees. So why should I take charge of the money you failed to pay?

At least, that's how it ought to be imho...it sounds like CA is trying to get into some sort of pseudo-auto-loan-like-profiteering business.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Hypothetical, but a question that's looming for me. I'll probably be buying a 2nd bike soon and moving up from my XJ600 Seca II. I love the cafe style/naked style and I'm wondering opinions on this.

I'm debating between an sv650 or a monster s2r. If I get the sv over the monster, I'd use the money saved to upgrade the suspension, exhaust etc...but with all that said, which would you recommend?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SV. It will be a better performer in the long run.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I too would recommend the SV, but the real answer is "the one that makes your heart go boom-chicka-boom". Sit on both, get testrides if possible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Hypothetical, but a question that's looming for me. I'll probably be buying a 2nd bike soon and moving up from my XJ600 Seca II. I love the cafe style/naked style and I'm wondering opinions on this.

I'm debating between an sv650 or a monster s2r. If I get the sv over the monster, I'd use the money saved to upgrade the suspension, exhaust etc...but with all that said, which would you recommend?

The S2R is really pretty, but I'd take an SV and mod the ever loving christ out of it. GSX-R front end, LSL kit, Ohlins/Penske rear, flatslides, cams. You'd have a serious beast of a bike.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

ari.gato posted:

XL1200S or 883R with pro racer piggy backs duh

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ari.gato posted:

Monster, it will be cooler in the long run, and it will never have an ugly rectangle swingarm.

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...

Gnomad posted:

You likely pinched the neutral light wire. The switch itself is down in the engine and works by grounding the bulb, somehow you managed to supply that ground.

Good call- that's exactly what I did. I crushed the wire between the engine case and the sprocket cover. Spliced the wire back together and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the help.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

The S2R is really pretty, but I'd take an SV and mod the ever loving christ out of it. GSX-R front end, LSL kit, Ohlins/Penske rear, flatslides, cams. You'd have a serious beast of a bike.

This. Once you go flatslides you never go back.

Zool posted:

Monster, it will be cooler in the long run, and it will never have an ugly rectangle swingarm.

And the SV will make more power, will be more reliable, will have better fit and finish, and on and on and on.

The Monster is technically cooler, but the SV is a better bike :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 22, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
And with enough money you can swap whatever swingarm you want on it! :haw:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Put a desmo swingarm on it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Anyone have any experience with the Bridgestone Spitfire S11s?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
But it's not itallian :colbert:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Armacham posted:

My girlfriend Becktastic just had her KLR stolen around 2pm by Speedway and COuntry Club in Tucson AZ. It is a Blue 2008 KLR 650. Please Keep an eye out.

email me at (Username) AT gmail.com

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1704211678.html

Found it! hah, somehow it ended up in Marin County California :)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

eviljelly posted:

Shenanigans like "Oh poo poo, I'm 6 years behind on my registration. I'll just transfer title over to my wife to wipe the slate clean."

At the expense of dragging this out, how can you be 6 years behind on your registration? Doesn't it ever expire? I'm assuming not.

Regardless, the state should go after the previous owner, not the poor sap that bought it. That's the silliest system I've ever heard of.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Doctor Zero posted:

At the expense of dragging this out, how can you be 6 years behind on your registration? Doesn't it ever expire? I'm assuming not.

I was wondering this as well. Here in Ontario we get a sticker for our plate and the cops go after plates with expired tags when they get bored.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Regardless, the state should go after the previous owner, not the poor sap that bought it. That's the silliest system I've ever heard of.

It drops out of the system after 7 years.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

What are flatsides?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ari.gato posted:

What are flatsides?
Go read the carb thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

What are flatsides?

Carbs that have flat slides. In the case of the SV, we're referring to Keihin 39mm or 41mm flatslides. They boost power and have a massive upgrade in throttle response, because you lift the slide directly. The downside is they require some minor initial tuning, although you have plenty of shops in LA that could help you with that, I might be able to fake it well enough to get the bike running well. They also sound loving astounding.

They're pretty much the best upgrade you can do power wise to an SV. And I'd buy a decent condition gen one because the engines are better built, the second gens have a flaw in the engine casings that causes the crank to snap when you start to power them up (80+ HP), plus they're more expensive to build, and you can get all of the gain out of the gen 2 engine with a cam swap on the gen one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Flatslides should be a required upgrade for anyone with a carbureted bike.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

infraboy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1704211678.html

Found it! hah, somehow it ended up in Marin County California :)

quote:

never dropped, dirted, or abused.

nope definitely not it

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ari.gato posted:

What are flatsides?

Pilot pilot jets y'all.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Pilot pilot jets y'all.

Phat_Albert really does have the best avatar on the forums. I've spent many hours listening to Wu-Tang trying to figure out an equally good one and nothing comes close.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Carbs that have flat slides. In the case of the SV, we're referring to Keihin 39mm or 41mm flatslides. They boost power and have a massive upgrade in throttle response, because you lift the slide directly. The downside is they require some minor initial tuning, although you have plenty of shops in LA that could help you with that, I might be able to fake it well enough to get the bike running well. They also sound loving astounding.

They're pretty much the best upgrade you can do power wise to an SV. And I'd buy a decent condition gen one because the engines are better built, the second gens have a flaw in the engine casings that causes the crank to snap when you start to power them up (80+ HP), plus they're more expensive to build, and you can get all of the gain out of the gen 2 engine with a cam swap on the gen one.

Duly noted. I'll probably come back to here or the SV thread when I get mine to get it going.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hahaha me too, I listened through 36 chambers two times, :10bux: in hand, trying to shoehorn a bike pun into somewhere, ANYWHERE.

The only thing that works easily off that album is

BRING THE MOTHERFUCKIN RUCKUS

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

Hahaha me too, I listened through 36 chambers two times, :10bux: in hand, trying to shoehorn a bike pun into somewhere, ANYWHERE.

LMAO. Use that one before someone else does.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

That ones perfect actually.

True story it took me like 3 days to come up with the wording for my title after I thought of the idea. For a while it was "Get the main jets" and a few other revisions.

Art takes time.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Ola posted:

If I owned a ruckus I would have used that one.

Now I'm listening to Magical Mystery Chamber on repeat hoping something will come to me. :(

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I have a silly question: why is the air intake and carbs on the back and the exhaust at the front of the engine and not the other way round?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

niethan posted:

I have a silly question: why is the air intake and carbs on the back and the exhaust at the front of the engine and not the other way round?

I always assumed it was to keep the exhaust from getting too hot and the carbs from icing up. It's probably not that simple though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

niethan posted:

The new YZ450F has it the right way 'round because the fuel injection stuff is small enough to do that now.
It's because there wasn't space on old bikes to put the carbs and intake/filter and stuff on the front (easily) without getting in the way of the forks.
There's also some fluid dynamics stuff at work regarding the length of the tailpipe and evacuating exhaust gasses, because the new YZ has a killer loop in the exhaust.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 22, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'm actually considering getting Keihin flatslides for my F2. I've emailed a website asking for a price quote, and they say both the 33mm and 35mm fit my bike. Which size should I get, and what is a ballpark reasonable price for these bad boys? Will the Factory Pro jetkit I got be compatible with it? And what about the airbox, will I need new air filters?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

Flatslides should be a required upgrade for anyone with a carbureted bike.

Yes, if you're an idiot.

Different driving styles and engines require different carburetors. A lot of engines won't even benefit from flatslides. Flatslides are for high-RPM-strong/low-RPM-weak-torque small-displacement 4-strokes and most 2-strokes.

Problem is that flatslides diffuse the flow too much and react too quickly for strong big-displacement 4-(and 2-)strokes to give any real power at fast opened 1/4-3/4 throttle. Those bikes are way better off with a CV.

Also gently caress all this flatslide rubbish in here. They have different characteristica from CVs, but they aren't ment for the same job, and they are by no means better in each and every way.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'm actually considering getting Keihin flatslides for my F2. I've emailed a website asking for a price quote, and they say both the 33mm and 35mm fit my bike. Which size should I get, and what is a ballpark reasonable price for these bad boys? Will the Factory Pro jetkit I got be compatible with it? And what about the airbox, will I need new air filters?

What the gently caress is an F2? A Honda CBR F2 600? In that case you shouldn't bother getting any flatslides.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 23, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

niethan posted:

Just real estate issues I suppose. The airbox and carb rack would stick out way in front of the forks while four hot pipes does no good to all the wires and seat padding which is behind the engine. There's no big benefit to putting the intake up front anyway, ram air effect (as many bikes incorporate) is about pressure, not smooth unrestricted flow, and pressure can do a u-turn no problem. Try a coiled up (not kinked) vs straight garden hose, not much difference.

Some bikes do it differently of course. HDs have the carb in the middle and a pipe to the front and one to the back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

Yes, if you're an idiot.

Different driving styles and engines require different carburetors. A lot of engines won't even benefit from flatslides. Flatslides are for high-RPM-strong/low-RPM-weak-torque small-displacement 4-strokes and most 2-strokes.

Problem is that flatslides diffuse the flow too much and react too quickly for strong big-displacement 4-(and 2-)strokes to give any real power at fast opened 1/4-3/4 throttle. Those bikes are way better off with a CV.

Also gently caress all this flatslide rubbish in here. They have different characteristica from CVs, but they aren't ment for the same job, and they are by no means better in each and every way.

Do you have the exact same rant but with the word "flatslides" replaced with "pipes"? And the bikes I've ever bothered with flatslides on have had huge improvements from them through the entire rev range. Hell, the DRZ400E came with a flatslide stock. The SV should have...and it's hardly a "high RPM strong, low RPM weak" engine...I could carry through a gear higher between T2 and T3 at infineon thanks to the midrange boost it provided.

You always hear people complaining about partial throttle response on flatslides and I've never even noticed it. Correctly tuned, they offered superior response at all rev ranges. Only lame thing was no choke on the SV carbs, so you had to warm it up manually, but that didn't bother me much, it's nice and hot down here almost all the time.

Are there engines that it's pointless on? Sure, but the SV or DRZ isn't it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 23, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Do you have the exact same rant but with the word "flatslides" replaced with "pipes"? And the bikes I've ever bothered with flatslides on have had huge improvements from them through the entire rev range. Hell, the DRZ400E came with a flatslide stock. The SV should have.

The DRZ is understandable. The SV however. Pffff. Every claim that doesn't have a bench readout to back it up should remain silent.

Yes, for 2-strokes, I have a lot of rants about exhausts and roll-back waves and what fits an engine - not so much for 4-strokes, since it matters almost poo poo except for my ever growing tinnitus ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Are there engines that it's pointless on? Sure, but the SV or DRZ isn't it.

Would it be worth it for a 600cc inline 4?