Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

KozmoNaut posted:

I fully get what you're saying and I'm definitely not going to start out on a finicky old-ish Italian bike (although my riding instructor said to go for it), it's just so drat pretty.

Well, the obvious answer is to buy two bikes, so you have something to ride while you work on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Full coverage on a new Suzuki B-King is $200 a month with Progressive. I am 27 and have zero accidents or tickets on my record. I think I'll stick with my KLR650 for a little while.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If the seat is thrashed then what would a roughly fair value for this bike be?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1702612313.html

quote:

2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250 need to sell ASAP - $1550 (Central )

Date: 2010-04-21, 7:50AM CDT
Reply to: sale-kzhk6-1702612313@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Great bike with 9,7xx miles. Runs perfectly. Mechanically perfect. A few scratches on right side of bike but nothing major. No cuts or breaks to the fairings.
Also will need a new seat. It has a cover on it now so looks ok. Good tires. All blacked out, looks really cool. Few changes to make it look better than average 250. I have a clear title for it.

Great gas mileage. Perfect commuter bike. Beginning to be a great time of year to ride!

Bring all offers but don't try to low ball me.

My rule of thumb would be that I would value a well-sorted early 2000s / late 90s ninja 250 at $1500, so if this one needs a new seat but is in good condition otherwise I'd be willing to give him about $1350 for it. Will $150 get me a new seat or repair his?

If his chain / sprockets are hosed or the tires aren't "good", I would offer him $1100 then walk away.

Are these reasonable price goals or am I going to need to pony up more? I'm a bit worried that this specific bike is "all blacked out", that could mean him trying to make the crash damage look not as bad.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 21, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Weinertron posted:

If the seat is thrashed then what would a roughly fair value for this bike be?

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1702612313.html

My rule of thumb would be that I would value a well-sorted early 2000s / late 90s ninja 250 at $1500, so if this one needs a new seat but is in good condition otherwise I'd be willing to give him about $1350 for it. Will $150 get me a new seat or repair his?

If his chain / sprockets are hosed or the tires aren't "good", I would offer him $1100 then walk away.

Are these reasonable price goals or am I going to need to pony up more? I'm a bit worried that this specific bike is "all blacked out", that could mean him trying to make the crash damage look not as bad.

Looks like a good plan to me. Replacement seats can be found for ~50-100$ on ebay in good to excellent shape.

Hughmoris posted:

Full coverage on a new Suzuki B-King is $200 a month with Progressive. I am 27 and have zero accidents or tickets on my record. I think I'll stick with my KLR650 for a little while.

Try shopping around, if you haven't...that seems stupid high, even for a B-King.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doctor Zero posted:

Well, the obvious answer is to buy two bikes, so you have something to ride while you work on that.

Oh how I wish I could do this

My budget :negative:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Hughmoris posted:

Sell your car.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Where do you live? That is a crazy amount of money.

How much is the insurance on your KLR?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Scrapez posted:

Where do you live? That is a crazy amount of money.

How much is the insurance on your KLR?

I live in the panhandle of Florida. I have complete coverage on my KLR650 which is $53 a month (was my sole means of transportation for a while). I COULD sell my '89 suburban but the insurance on that is only $25 a month.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Hughmoris posted:

I live in the panhandle of Florida. I have complete coverage on my KLR650 which is $53 a month (was my sole means of transportation for a while). I COULD sell my '89 suburban but the insurance on that is only $25 a month.

That still seems like a lot, especially for a cheap bike like a KLR. Full coverage on my '04 V-Strom 650 w/$3000 of accessory coverage is $37/month, and identical coverage on my '97 Virago is $15/month.

I'm 26, no accidents, couple of moving violations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Tsaven Nava posted:

That still seems like a lot, especially for a cheap bike like a KLR. Full coverage on my '04 V-Strom 650 w/$3000 of accessory coverage is $37/month, and identical coverage on my '97 Virago is $15/month.

I'm 26, no accidents, couple of moving violations.

The main thing counting against me is my credit score I think. I'm a safe driver/rider but the mistakes of my youth have hurt my credit, which seems to be a bigger factor to insurance companies.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 21, 2010

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Dumb but interesting question: What bike would you guys buy used or new between $5000 - $6000?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

A used Street Triple:

:swoon:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
One of my local buds is selling his KTM 950 Adventure for $6K. That'd be my choice.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

infraboy posted:

Dumb but interesting question: What bike would you guys buy used or new between $5000 - $6000?

2007 VFR in the red white and blue color scheme.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Guni posted:

haha, I'm not really interested in a KTM. Friends of ours have had serious troubles to the point of the bike blowing up ('07 250sxf). Also I want to keep the same models in our house, matching! :D

I'd go with the 250F for the reasons you gave. I've ridden an '08 for a day and thought it was pretty loving awesome. As stock it certainly won't tear your arms off, but then I don't think there's any particular need for huge power for trail/bush riding.

Having owned a KTM road bike and spent a lot of time cursing at it, I'm not sure I'd want a KTM dirt bike either, but that's just me. I can see the reasoning behind sticking with Yamahas if you and your dad are used to wrenching on them and they're all going to be of a similar age.

Hughmoris posted:

Lately, I've been itching to get a hypertourer.

The bikes I'm looking at are the Blackbird, ZZR1200, Hayabusa and ZX-14. Any thoughts on those or any that I'm overlooking?

For me, the Blackbird is the proverbial no-brainer. Extremely reliable, available cheap, easy to ride (compared to a 'busa or a ZX12 anyway), comfy, good looking, feature extensive aftermarket support and I gather you can lose a ridiculous amount of weight with a swap to a 4-1 and a carbon can.

The only reason I went with a Hornet over a used BB myself was the prospect of riding ~250+kg of Japanese tank over our icy winter roads.

Other option which I don't think has been mentioned would be an R1100, 1150 or R1200RT. Good if you do a lot of distance, and the R12 actually handles, shockingly enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

infraboy posted:

KTM 450 SM with a plate.

RSV Mille Factory/Tuono Factory.

Crashed 848 to track rat.

Good condition 999 to pose with.

Really depends on what was a deal in my area.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

infraboy posted:

New DRZ400

Used R800G/S in decent condition

Maybe a nice /5 or /6

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

infraboy posted:

Tell me what five bikes you consider and what you plan to use it for, and I'll tell you what to buy.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

infraboy posted:

If I had 5k to spend on a bike right now...

It would probably come down to a coin toss between getting a KTM 450 SMR or an kitted out adventure bike.

Then, with good intentions and dreams of far away places dancing in my head... at the last moment I'd turn around and get the KTM 450 SMR and wad the poo poo out of it at the supermoto track repeatedly every weekend and never stop loving it.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Blaster of Justice posted:

Tell me what five bikes you consider and what you plan to use it for, and I'll tell you what to buy.

I'd probably honestly buy 5 bikes :D

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

UserNotFound posted:

I'd probably honestly buy 5 bikes :D

If you haven't got 5 bikes already, you really should. Wait. No you really should, regardless of how many bikes you already own.

Just plan ahead and don't get married to a dragon like mine, and it'll probably work.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

If you haven't got 5 bikes already, you really should. Wait. No you really should, regardless of how many bikes you already own.

Just plan ahead and don't get married to a dragon like mine, and it'll probably work.

You mean like this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm gonna go against the grain here...I get tired of maintaining multiple bikes. When you've got 4+ bikes in the garage, there's always something that needs to be done to some bike...very annoying when I just want to go ride.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Z3n posted:

I'm gonna go against the grain here...I get tired of maintaining multiple bikes. When you've got 4+ bikes in the garage, there's always something that needs to be done to some bike...very annoying when I just want to go ride.

Well the answer to that is 2 DRZs 2 DR650s and 1 KLR650.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Well the answer to that is 2 DRZs 2 DR650s and 1 KLR650.

Why? The DRZ400s would be the only bikes worth riding in that group :haw:

I'm happy with the pair of DRZs, and the ZX9R project at the moment. I really need to get started on that.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Z3n posted:

Why? The DRZ400s would be the only bikes worth riding in that group :haw:

Some people aren't insane enough to freeway a drz for those 3 hour + trips!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Some people aren't insane enough to freeway a drz for those 3 hour + trips!

I've never ridden a KLR650, but I have ridden a KLX650, and I didn't feel that it was any better or worse on the freeway. Of course, I'm willing to fiddle with my DRZ to get it exactly how I want. :iiam:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

infraboy posted:

Husqvarna SM510R, best touring bike ever :colbert:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

infraboy posted:

$1500 for a farkled but well-used KLR650 + three-month-long road trip.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

$1500 for a farkled but well-used KLR650 + three-month-long road trip.

This guy has the right idea. Clapped out 90's sportbike and a year's worth of trackdays.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2003-Ducati-Monster-620-i.e.-Dark-96737770

60 horsepowers. Would I be a retard to consider this as a beginner?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah, it'll be fine.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Lord Master posted:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2003-Ducati-Monster-620-i.e.-Dark-96737770

60 horsepowers. Would I be a retard to consider this as a beginner?

Buy some tissues for when you drop it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

blugu64 posted:

Bring them along for when you ride it, too.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

blugu64 posted:

And you will drop it. Don't have any retarded delusions otherwise.

For content (with apologies to Mr. Cash);

Early one morning, with time to kill,
I rode my bike northwards, and into the hills.
I saw an old Beezer, down a small lane.
I stoppied my sumo, and stopp'd I became.

I should've kept riding, but wallet in hand,
A cry rang out, across the land.
"Don't buy an old Beezer, it's most likely dead."
I hung my head, I hung my head.

The '76 is a typo, the owner is an old boy and he is not good with computers (oh god how did this get here?!). It's actually a '66.

Running order with a new set of tires at the end of the summer. Three owners since the bike was imported new in 1966, it has never lived more than 6 miles away from the original dealers, who are still running and have been running continuously since 1908.

And I paid the asking price. These are going for £500-£800 in the UK right now.

Here on the forums, the goons were all there,
I see the mod, High up in his chair,
"Explain to the forum, what went through your mind,
and we'll ask the asylum, what verdict they find."

I felt the power, of having no wife.
I emptied my wallet, gave up social life.
I pray for goons mercy, 'cause soon I'll be dead.
I hung my head, I hung my head.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

blugu64 posted:

Not that this will solve that problem, but does anyone make frame sliders for Monsters (or any Duc for that matter)?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MetaJew posted:

Not that this will solve that problem, but does anyone make frame sliders for Monsters (or any Duc for that matter)?

Yes, you can get sliders for almost any bike these days. However, if you can't find them for your model, or they are horrendously expensive, find you nearest motorcycle-friendly machine shop. I have a local chap who makes nylon and delrin sliders for dick-all. Cutting a set of sliders takes no time at all as they can cut through it like cheese on a metalworking mill.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1709627654.html

quote:

Honda Nighthawk 250 - $400

Date: 2010-04-25, 2:13PM CDT
Reply to: sale-92e6m-1709627654@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1995 Honda Nighthawk with a little less than 16,000 miles on it, I have a clear Texas title in my name. This motorcycle was working fine until a dog attacked me while I was going 25mph on April fools day. It was really weird riding it home after the crash. The front fork is twisted from the low speed crash, the engine starts up and runs fine. There is some other damage such as dents in the gas tank from where the wind shield came down and hit it, etc.

Now THIS looks like a good first bike. I know it'll be gutless, but front forks can be repaired / replaced for low enough money to make this worthwhile, right?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Is a Ninja 500 too much bike for a complete newbie? It fits the horsepower specs, but I figured I'd ask.

I badly want a CBR600RR, but I don't badly want to die. Plus I'd cry like a bitch the first time I downed it and scuffed up the fairing, so something cheaper is in order. :p

E: assuming this has been asked before, but I don't have search. I read 10 pages looking for my question, and then realized the thread is almost 100 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Comradephate posted:

Is a Ninja 500 too much bike for a complete newbie? It fits the horsepower specs, but I figured I'd ask.

I badly want a CBR600RR, but I don't badly want to die. Plus I'd cry like a bitch the first time I downed it and scuffed up the fairing, so something cheaper is in order. :p

E: assuming this has been asked before, but I don't have search. I read 10 pages looking for my question, and then realized the thread is almost 100 pages.

Considering you sound judgement on the 600RR not being a good choice, and your regard for your physical well being, you'd probably be just fine on a Ninja 500. Take the MSF and get a frame of reference, you may want something less depending on how that goes.