Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Blakles posted:

I've noticed for a few days now Cosmo has had this patch of fur on his front, right leg that looked like it was wet. At first I thought he just spilled some water on himself from his bowl or bottle, but it's still there. I held him down today and tried to look at it. The fur is hard and he flinches when I touched it (of course he was flinching a lot no matter what).

Is this a pee-burn? I don't understand how he could get a pee-burn on the way on the upper part of his front leg, but I don't know what else it could be. If that is what it is, how do you treat it?

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Also, he's been scratching his ears a lot lately. I read online that could be ear mites. :( Poor little guy. Any remedies we should do in addition to the store-bought ear mite drops?

It looks like there might be some snot there under his nose, which isn't good. When samE was sneezing a lot I looked up a bunch of stuff online and I remember reading something that said when they have crusties on their feet from wiping their faces a lot it's not a great sign. You should probably take him to the vet if this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
Hmmm, well I tried to take some more pictures to get a better look. This what came from trying to view his chin/mouth...I hate that he's sick, but this picture is hilarious to me. He had just drank water out of his bowl so some of the hairs are wet, but other than that I don't see anything unusual.

Click here for the full 1024x1365 image.

Gumby Orgy - I'm not sure it's ear mites, that was just the only thing I came across when searching about the problem online. I tired to get as good a look as possible at his ears tonight and they look pretty normal to me, but I've only had a bunny for a little over 1 month and 1/2. I tried to take a close up photo, maybe you see something I don't. We don't have any other pets and he's a 13 months old.

Click here for the full 1118x1094 image.

EDIT: Also, I've never heard him sneeze and he's not acting the slightest bit different. I know bunnies try to hide their illnesses, but he still eats tons of food, drinks tons of water, and runs around like crazy, pushes boxes around, etc. I would think there would be some slight indication that he wasn't feeling well.

Blakles fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 25, 2010

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Blakles posted:

Hmmm, well I tried to take some more pictures to get a better look. This what came from trying to view his chin/mouth...I hate that he's sick, but this picture is hilarious to me. He had just drank water out of his bowl so some of the hairs are wet, but other than that I don't see anything unusual.

Gumby Orgy - I'm not sure it's ear mites, that was just the only thing I came across when searching about the problem online. I tired to get as good a look as possible at his ears tonight and they look pretty normal to me, but I've only had a bunny for a little over 1 month and 1/2. I tried to take a close up photo, maybe you see something I don't. We don't have any other pets and he's a 13 months old.

EDIT: Also, I've never heard him sneeze and he's not acting the slightest bit different. I know bunnies try to hide their illnesses, but he still eats tons of food, drinks tons of water, and runs around like crazy, pushes boxes around, etc. I would think there would be some slight indication that he wasn't feeling well.

After that picture I am less worried, it doesn't appear that anything is coming out of his nose. I thought those weird bits under his mouth were boogers previously. I'm not sure about pee-burns, I thought they mostly got those on their back legs :/

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Sup?

Happy Nap Time!

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Blakles posted:

He doesn't look like he has ear mites, but look down in his ear. Does it have brown/blackish, dirt looking stuff?

Pee burns really don't happen anywhere else except on the back legs, so it doesn't look like it.

How often are you grooming him?

He looks a little dirty imo. Brush him at least once a week, preferably more. I bathe Harper because I have terrible allergies and would not be able to love on him otherwise. I find that making sure he is brushed regularly makes it so I don't have to bathe him nearly as often. It is down to once every couple of months, actually.

How often are you changing his litterbox? He has stained bottom feet, so make sure to keep his litterbox clean. He is young enough that he shouldn't be having grooming problems.

Honestly, if you are the least bit concerned, definitely take him to a vet knowledgeable about rabbits. Rabbits are very good about hiding illness. The House Rabbit Society has a nice vet finder/list type thing on their webpage. I live in a place where a vet wasn't listed so I had to do some shopping. I found a great vet an hour away, none locally*. Even still, I show up with a list of stuff not to give rabbits just in case.

*There were vets that could have taken good care of Harper, but they were quite literally 3x more expensive for no better care.

You also need to understand that rabbits tend to be fastidious about grooming themselves. If they aren't eating, playing, pooping, or resting, they're grooming themselves.

We have some really great rabbit owners itt, but it cannot substitute for a real vet.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 26, 2010

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.

Gumby Orgy posted:

How often are you grooming him?

He looks a little dirty imo.

How often are you changing his litterbox? He has stained bottom feet, so make sure to keep his litterbox clean. He is young enough that he shouldn't be having grooming problems.

Haven't groomed him yet. I didn't think a bunny with hair as short as his really needed it that often. I'll pick up a brush asap. I'm wondering how grooming him is going to go because right now he won't even let us pet him.

We change his litterbox every other day. He had really bad pee stained feet when we got him last month and I have noticed his front paws are a lot more white than when we first brought him home...his back feet, I can't really tell. The only other thing I can think to do is get him one of those litterboxes with a rack.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
You can also spot wash the area. Spot washing is definitely an approved bunny technique.

You have to groom your rabbit at least once a week not matter how short the fur is.

http://www.rabbit.org/index.html is a great source of rabbit knowledge and how-to. Check out the section on bonding, grooming, and health specifically.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
With Pepper, I set her in the tub, and she does a good enough job of sitting still until I've brushed all of her. It's because she hates the tub, though.

Camille'a rabbit ADD is too bad for her to ever sit still, so I usually wait and brush her while she's eating hay. If you sit a pile of something huge and delicious in front of them (lots of hay, or maybe a celery stalk), they'll let you mess with them a little if you're gentle.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

Happy Nap Time!

It seems your bun has melted. You need to love it back to life immediately :colbert:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I now have one less bunny :(

Captain Murphy died this morning in his sleep, and without pain I presume. He didn't show any symptoms at all this week, or even at 3am when I was playing with him before getting to bed way too late. I completely lost it, freaking out Debbie a little bit, and I'm still feeling a little sick from the loss.

Murphy was an adorable freaking bunny baby, but also the most impossible thing. He took forever to litter train and made me re-think bunny ownership many times over. He was my first house bunny in 10 years, and I learned quickly that I really didn't know as much as I thought I did...like the fact that bunnies eat everything they can, including plastic toys. Some of you might remember the Jar Jar Binks toy fiasco.

Last year we had a rough time dealing with some nerve damage on the left of his face. While it didn't stop him from living a healthy happy life, he did slowly lose most of his vision out of his left eye because he couldn't keep it open. He never really had any other issues other than occasionally having trouble cleaning his hind regions, but it wasn't life threatening, just annoying.

Last spring we started the long and tedious process of building a house. I had picked a floor plan and interior that would be bunny safe and allow for the maximum amount of open space for running around. I'm really sad now that he will never get to experience it, but he'll be there in spirit since I buried him in a quiet corner of my new lot, right by a little shade garden that my mom planted.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with Debbie. She's unaffected thus far about the loss of her neighbor, but I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before she starts getting destructive from the lack of interaction while I'm not home. I never could get her bonded with Murphy and I'm afraid that it's fairly unlikely that she'd bond with a new rabbit. :/

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Windy posted:

I now have one less bunny :(

Last spring we started the long and tedious process of building a house. I had picked a floor plan and interior that would be bunny safe and allow for the maximum amount of open space for running around. I'm really sad now that he will never get to experience it, but he'll be there in spirit since I buried him in a quiet corner of my new lot, right by a little shade garden that my mom planted.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with Debbie. She's unaffected thus far about the loss of her neighbor, but I have a feeling that it's only a matter of time before she starts getting destructive from the lack of interaction while I'm not home. I never could get her bonded with Murphy and I'm afraid that it's fairly unlikely that she'd bond with a new rabbit. :/

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. Murphy always was adorable to see around and will be missed.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I'm very sorry. He looks incredibly cuddly in that last picture.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Condolences for your loss, Windy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Worst part of this thread is how often someone's bunny gets sick or dies :(

Sorry about Murphy :(

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Windy posted:

Poor Murphy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't give up on Debbie bonding with someone just yet, if that's the route you want to go. Sometimes it takes a number of tries - I ended up with a very unlikely pair (a 2 lb dwarf and a 6 lb lop) because both of them were horrible bitches to everyone else, but they fell in love with one another.

You're in Wisconsin too, right? Don't forget to hit me up if you need anything, I'd be happy to help with bonding or inspecting potential partners or anything else. (Including trying to talk you into fostering one of mine!)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

alucinor posted:

Poor Murphy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't give up on Debbie bonding with someone just yet, if that's the route you want to go. Sometimes it takes a number of tries - I ended up with a very unlikely pair (a 2 lb dwarf and a 6 lb lop) because both of them were horrible bitches to everyone else, but they fell in love with one another.

You're in Wisconsin too, right? Don't forget to hit me up if you need anything, I'd be happy to help with bonding or inspecting potential partners or anything else. (Including trying to talk you into fostering one of mine!)

Indeed I am, south end of Milwaukee. I've thought about potential rescues but I'm going to have to wait a few months until things slow down a little more. I think she's definitely going to need another bun to keep her in check though. She's already being snotty and pushy, and I don't want that to develop into mean and nasty.

Levitate posted:

Worst part of this thread is how often someone's bunny gets sick or dies

Agreed. Bunnies are so fragile! It doesn't stop me from wanting to have a house full of them though :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I'm so sorry Windy :glomp:

Perhaps since you have a special new bunny house you will be able to bond Debbie. I know alucinor would be able to help :)

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
How often do you guys clean your rabbit's litter boxes? I'm starting to have some issues with flies in the house. I'm not sure if the litter box is the cause but it most likely is.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Clean the cage everyday if you worry about flies. Your rabbit can get flystrike, which is really bad. Make sure all your dishes are clean, your screens are not 'holy', and the garbage goes out twice a day. Get fly traps and place them everywhere. Make sure your floors are swept and mopped well and your counters and other cooking/eating areas are constantly clean. A fly can live for a week on a dried drop of beer (seriously). Flies are really gross, vomiting things. I've never had an issue with flies getting in my house, but I have gotten gnats because my window and patio screens aren't small enough mesh.

If it is gnats and not flies, put out open containers full of apple cider vinegar and dish soap. Voila! No more gnats. It takes about 6 hours, but leave them out for two days.

Pictures of rabbits with flystrike. :nms:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

skystream92 posted:

How often do you guys clean your rabbit's litter boxes? I'm starting to have some issues with flies in the house. I'm not sure if the litter box is the cause but it most likely is.

We've got no issues with flies, so we usually change Cilantro's litter once every two days.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

We've got no issues with flies, so we usually change Cilantro's litter once every two days.

I do it every other day unless it's necessary to do it more frequently than that. They have like, three litter boxes though.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

pseudonordic posted:

Ok. I've been going through bedding like crazy so I've been trying to cut down a bit :P

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I change it about once a week and I never see any flies. But to be honest maybe I live in a colder or less fly-friendly climate than most of you.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

skystream92 posted:

Ok. I've been going through bedding like crazy so I've been trying to cut down a bit :P

Cilantro's cage only has two things in it, litter and hay. The litter is CareFresh that I stock up on when it's on sale. The hay is from Kleen Mama's Hayloft. After I empty her box, I put two handfuls of litter in each of the back corners, flattened to cover a larger area and then put in hay to fill the rest of the area. We tend to change her box out when she runs out of hay because it never smells like anything other than the hay.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
We clean out Harper's litterbox about twice a week, but then again we don't have flies.

skystream92 posted:

I don't keep bedding in Harper's cage at all, which is probably part of the reason he's not confused in the least bit about where his litterbox is.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I use Yesterday's News which I think might be a little bit better than Carefresh. When I've used Carefresh I find that I have to change it more because it gets smellier or whatever faster. Just personal preference.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I use Yesterday's News on top of some ammonia absorbing cat crystals (Harper's pee is nuclear). He uses a high corner litterbox that doesn't allow him to dig in his box or have access to his litterbox contents.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Does anyone have experience with Safer Brand bug killing sprays? They are marketed as poison free (made from all food extract chemicals), and are pet safe. Pet safe doesn't always mean bunny safe though :P.

Edit: Took one of our buns to get his nails cut today. They accidentally cut one too close to the quick and he bled a little. Now he's very unhappy and sulking.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
My husband noticed Harper would pee off the side of the litterbox and into a small corner of his cage. I haven't seen it because it is a recent development. I haven't been able to clean out his cage for about three weeks because of a back injury, so my husband's been taking over all my chores. Today he went out and bought a small-medium sized plastic tub, cut some egg crate plastic ceiling tile grating to fit inside the tub, cut a Harper-sized entrance, then modified his cage so it could accommodate the new box. Harper LOVES his new litter box. We put the tub lid, that had tons of drilled holes in it (tub and lid are clear), loaded the bottom with litter and Harper christened it within ten minutes by jumping in and peeing (pissened, perhaps?). He would sit in his old corner litter box but not for long periods of time, but he is spending lots of time in his new box.

We were kind of worried that Harper wouldn't like the new litter box, but we are quite sure he likes it much better. So far he is using it without fail. On top of that, it is much easier to clean and cheaper if we need to get a new one. Yesterday's News and ammonia absorbing cat crystals together take away most of Harper's pee odor, but his pee is really potent. Having a top will help contain some of the odor while the crystals do their job (it takes a few minutes for them to absorb all the odor).

I'm considering pictures of this so people can see how to make it since it is so awesome :3:

In case you are wondering why we have a grid over the litter:
Harper LOVED to dig in his litter and would fling it everywhere. In order to stop that, we had to get one that made it n'er impossible for him to dig in, hence the grid. Our world has been a lot cleaner since we did that. We are also able to use ammonia absorbing cat crystals in conjunction with Yesterday's News to counteract Harper's nuclear pee. You can't use those crystals if the rabbit has access to the litter.

Wow. I just made a long post about a box my rabbit shits in. Thanks, PI.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

That actually sounds really cool, Gumby. Blakles and I still aren't quite satisfied with Cosmo's litterbox setup so I think we'd both like to see pics!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gumby Orgy posted:

Wow. I just made a long post about a box my rabbit shits in. Thanks, PI.

Here's Cilantro's setup:

Post-use (this is about 3 days worth, past due for cleaning)

Dumped outside, rinsed and dried

All made up

In use!

She pretty much sticks to the "back my rear end into a corner and go" method. For the longest time it was just the right back corner, but then she started alternating so we adjusted the litter to match. And copious, gratuitous amounts of hay all around.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I'll be posting pictures as soon as possible. I'm having some difficulties right now (goddamnalltohellwhereismycamerachargerandwhywontmyfuckingphonecamerawork).

Harper is the weird rabbit that doesn't like to eat where he poops, so he gets a box solely for his bathroom. It keeps the amount of hay we have to pick up off our floor to a bare minimum, so I can't really complain.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
So my bunny just joined the GI stasis club. Ate almost nothing yesterday, which isn't unusual sometimes he saves all his food until night time. Around 11 pm his tummy was grumbling, he wasn't eating but he was still drinking water but kept lethargic. Brought him to the vet today, he actually started eating again but no poops before we took him. While I was holding him at the vet we got a poop, and the grumbling was much more quiet. It's been a few hours and we've gotten some more poop and he's nibbling at food so hopefully he's gonna be alright. Got some critical care to use if he doesn't start eating more.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I need to get a lot better about dropping food.

Zen just ate a large crumb of chocolate chip cookie. Like, 3-4mm cubed. Should I be worried?

Yes, I realize this makes me far beyond the worst over-protective mother ever, but I'd rather that than she get sick!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Laughing Man posted:

So my bunny just joined the GI stasis club. Ate almost nothing yesterday, which isn't unusual sometimes he saves all his food until night time. Around 11 pm his tummy was grumbling, he wasn't eating but he was still drinking water but kept lethargic. Brought him to the vet today, he actually started eating again but no poops before we took him. While I was holding him at the vet we got a poop, and the grumbling was much more quiet. It's been a few hours and we've gotten some more poop and he's nibbling at food so hopefully he's gonna be alright. Got some critical care to use if he doesn't start eating more.

I allllllways keep Baby Oval around for situations like this. Sometimes I don't see Paterson interested in his food and freak out. The worst is if I hear his tummy grumbling. Then it's Baby Oval time.

very glad that things worked out for you though. Keep us posted.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...
I'm seeing a few scattered poops around, and he's cleaning himself. But all he's eating are carrot greens. So off I go to buy $10 worth of carrots I'll probably not use the rest of.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Laughing Man posted:

I'm seeing a few scattered poops around, and he's cleaning himself. But all he's eating are carrot greens. So off I go to buy $10 worth of carrots I'll probably not use the rest of.

I am SO GLAD that the farmer's markets are starting up again! If you can, hit some up... they give a lot of greens away to people with pets and often hold onto them until the end of the day before throwing them out.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

luscious posted:

I am SO GLAD that the farmer's markets are starting up again! If you can, hit some up... they give a lot of greens away to people with pets and often hold onto them until the end of the day before throwing them out.

Ahaha wow, I want to live where you do. Around here they'll sell for 2-5x the cost of the local produce market and be dicks about it too.

My fiance might be getting a job in the city (and by contract means we have to live in the city too), I dread having to find an apartment that's both affordable and allows bunnies, plus all the new loud noises that might scare Sprout and Dodger :ohdear:

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Fenarisk posted:

Ahaha wow, I want to live where you do. Around here they'll sell for 2-5x the cost of the local produce market and be dicks about it too.

My fiance might be getting a job in the city (and by contract means we have to live in the city too), I dread having to find an apartment that's both affordable and allows bunnies, plus all the new loud noises that might scare Sprout and Dodger :ohdear:

Get stuff that's in season and its cheaper. Also, a lot of sellers chop off the greens when they sell things like beets and carrots. I've been able to ask for leftover carrot tops for my bunnies and they're always very nice about it and give me two grocery bags of the stuff. A local organic food store owner will also give me greens if I ask nicely. People love doing things for bunnies!

We didn't have much of a hard time finding an apartment where we could have the bunnies; most people are under the impression that rabbits are caged pets and less likely to damage things than cats or dogs (Ha). I just neglected to correct that view. Well, they DO have a cage...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Fenarisk posted:

We had no trouble finding a place that accommodated the cats and bunny. If we had a dog, it would have been a very different story. As for affordability and loud noises, just don't look at bigass buildings and stick to two/three flats. Then you're only dealing with the noise of one neighbor.

Also, I haven't brought all my stuff to Red Door- do you still want anything?