Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Lawnie posted:

Anyone know where I can find the Mogwai/gently caress Buttons split where Mogwai covers "Colours Move" and the gently caress Buttons cover "Mogwai Fear Satan?" Because those are 2 awesome songs and I'd love to find that. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for the vinyl, and an mp3 copy would be equally awesome.

That was a Record Store Day exclusive I believe, given out to independant record stores and was VERY limited. (My local store got ONE copy, bought by the guy who worked there >: ( ) So your only chance of getting one would be ebay or similar, and I doubt most people would be interested in selling their copies ;) (Although I'm quite sure a good number of people bought the limited records just to resell).

I doubt they'd get an offical MP3 release either, the idea was to keep them limited and get people back into record shops instead of downloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rhgr posted:

That was a Record Store Day exclusive I believe, given out to independant record stores and was VERY limited. (My local store got ONE copy, bought by the guy who worked there >: ( ) So your only chance of getting one would be ebay or similar, and I doubt most people would be interested in selling their copies ;) (Although I'm quite sure a good number of people bought the limited records just to resell).

I doubt they'd get an offical MP3 release either, the idea was to keep them limited and get people back into record shops instead of downloading.

I figured as much. From what I gather it was mostly a European tour only thing, and they sent a few out for Record Store Day. I'll keep my eye out for it, since Mogwai Fear Satan just might be the best post rock song ever (sorry Sleep)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Lawnie posted:

I figured as much. From what I gather it was mostly a European tour only thing, and they sent a few out for Record Store Day. I'll keep my eye out for it, since Mogwai Fear Satan just might be the best post rock song ever (sorry Sleep)

Oh I didn't know it was a tour EP they just carried over, if so there should be copies out there, digital or otherwise. That actually pisses me off all the more, because I saw them on that tour and had NO IDEA there was a single :( Although I did see them on the third night of a 3 day residency in Dublin, so quite possible they just ran out when I went to the merch stand :argh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Lawnie posted:

no, the best song ever (note how I didn't include the loathsome qualifier "post-rocK") is Yearning, and if you disagree you can go jump off a cliff, choke on a bagful of cocks and die, in that order. :unsmigghh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jan posted:

no, the best song ever (note how I didn't include the loathsome qualifier "post-rocK") is Yearning, and if you disagree you can go jump off a cliff, choke on a bagful of cocks and die, in that order. :unsmigghh:

This.

Seriously, Yearning is the most epic song ever. Getting to see it played live was a mind bending experience for me.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
sounds like you're yearning for a bagful of cocks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

ol moon in the sky posted:

I guess I may as well ask this here, cause why not. My favorite bands in the genre are Sigur Ros, GY!BE, Mogwai, Arms and Sleepers, and downy (I don't know if downy/Arms are considered post-rock but yeah). I really really like the more ambient or more 'out there' stuff, and generally really dislike most of the post-rock bands that, at least, to me, come off as the generic more 'Explosions'-inspired bands (I like EitS just fine but the 900 bands that try to emulate them never do it well in my opinion). Any recommendations?

I'll keep recommending them until they get some recognition, because they deserve it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKBKLr27TPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eByXo35vrKw

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bagpuss posted:

The new 65DOS has got to be the best full album I've heard so far this year. Can't wait to seem 'em in Bristol!

Man I have to disagree, it was such a huge dissapointment. It was just so boring

Andre Weed 420 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think that the new 65dos album is post-rock at all? I mean I feel like it can't even be compared to most post-rock bands

It feels like they're hopping on this recent trend of everyone making their sound closer to the electronic genres, you can see it in a lot of recent pop music and they went from some kind of mathrock/postrock/electronic hybrid to trying to become full fledged dance music. And I don't mind that, if it's good, it's just not.

Steve Winwood posted:

is post-rock dead now?

I dunno, I think I completely lost interest in the genre really and there seemed to be a time when everyone was incorporating post-rock into their sound and a lot of the bands were getting mainstream recognition but I think that time has passed.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 25, 2010

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Souldark posted:

Tortoise are very relaxing, but Stars of the Lid take the prize for music you can actually lull yourself to sleep with.

E: well, what I remember of them was pretty good, but I do think it was an error placing their slot so late on...

At the EITS ATP, Stars of the Lid were on at about 2am, before Battles. People were sleeping on the floor of the Center stage.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Jan posted:

It's easier to just bore yourself to death with Yearning than to go through all that

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It feels like they're hopping on this recent trend of everyone making their sound closer to the electronic genres

I've read over this a few times and I still don't know what it's supposed to mean. What are "the electronic genres" that you're talking about?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I have to disagree, it was such a huge dissapointment. It was just so boring

It feels like they're hopping on this recent trend of everyone making their sound closer to the electronic genres, you can see it in a lot of recent pop music and they went from some kind of mathrock/postrock/electronic hybrid to trying to become full fledged dance music. And I don't mind that, if it's good, it's just not.

I dunno, I think I completely lost interest in the genre really and there seemed to be a time when everyone was incorporating post-rock into their sound and a lot of the bands were getting mainstream recognition but I think that time has passed.

Either you're an incredible troll or you're just really stupid. Come on, now.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I also thought it was overly electronic and dancy for a "post-rock" album. It was fine in and of itself, however

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lawnie posted:

I also thought it was overly electronic and dancy for a "post-rock" album. It was fine in and of itself, however

That's why we said earlier that it isn't post-rock...

It's a great album, but compare them to a band like Explosions in the Sky and what similarities do you have? 65dos is loud, furious electronic music with glitches and poo poo, and EITS is a mostly quiet instrumental act that uses (for the most part) simple guitar phrases but uses them in a way that makes them beautiful/relaxing/whatever you want to describe EITS as.

65dos exists to get the blood flowing, in my opinion. And while there are a ton of post-rock bands that also do this for me, the two go about it in completely different ways.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

is it epic enough for you though?

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Maybe I think post-rock's dead because of the fanbase. It seems a lot of bands recently are trying to out-epic each other and I wonder where that drive is coming from. Even Caspian's latest seemed underwhelming like they've pigeonholed themselves into a sound they don't know how to get out of.

I don't really care if ragey monkey guy creates generic post-rock in his spare time but when all up and coming bands seem to fall back on the same methods then I can't tell the difference and it kind of makes me lose any interest in finding new post-rock.

The 65days tracks are pretty cool but not really post-rock I guess.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

I've read over this a few times and I still don't know what it's supposed to mean. What are "the electronic genres" that you're talking about?

I wanted to say they're hopping on the trend of everyone in recent memory doing electro all of a sudden but this isn't quite electro so I changed it to "electronic". Basically there's been this weird trend lately of everyone making club hits and it seems like they're trying to reach that and failing.

65dos exists to get the blood flowing, in my opinion. And while there are a ton of post-rock bands that also do this for me, the two go about it in completely different ways.

It does and this album just doesn't do it for me. I seriously loved everything up to this point, the first 3 albums being basically all of the climax of post-rock with very little of the buildup. The last couple of EPs were way closer to dance music but I still liked them a lot. This album, nothing grabbed me at all. For a band that exists to get the blood flowing some of the songs are just buildup with not enough payoff, and FOR THEM it's slow and not the climaxes generally aren't worth waiting for.

Maybe I need to give it another listen but almost nothing I liked about the older albums is in here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Winwood posted:

Maybe I think post-rock's dead because of the fanbase. It seems a lot of bands recently are trying to out-epic each other and I wonder where that drive is coming from. Even Caspian's latest seemed underwhelming like they've pigeonholed themselves into a sound they don't know how to get out of.

I don't really care if ragey monkey guy creates generic post-rock in his spare time but when all up and coming bands seem to fall back on the same methods then I can't tell the difference and it kind of makes me lose any interest in finding new post-rock.

The 65days tracks are pretty cool but not really post-rock I guess.

That's great, dude. Why are you posting in a post-rock thread that has 30 pages and is still active to say "post-rock is dead"?

You think that new post-rock is all the same and it's all rehashes of stuff that's been done before. Good for you. You're entitled to your own opinion and all. But personally, I love the majority of new post-rock stuff coming out. For example, I think Caspian's new album is loving awesome. As did the 50 or so other people at the show of theirs I went to last month. You may not think post-rock has a fanbase, but just because you think the genre is stale doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same way.

And if you've heard the post-rock my band makes and you don't like it, again, that's your opinion. But it's not like we always say to each other "How can we impress Steve Winwood?" before every practice/show. We do it because we love the post-rock sound.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Lawnie posted:

They've heard the newest gently caress Buttons album all right...

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Aren't 65dos a self admitted "pop" band though?

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

That's great, dude. Why are you posting in a post-rock thread that has 30 pages and is still active to say "post-rock is dead"?

You think that new post-rock is all the same and it's all rehashes of stuff that's been done before. Good for you. You're entitled to your own opinion and all. But personally, I love the majority of new post-rock stuff coming out. For example, I think Caspian's new album is loving awesome. As did the 50 or so other people at the show of theirs I went to last month. You may not think post-rock has a fanbase, but just because you think the genre is stale doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same way.

And if you've heard the post-rock my band makes and you don't like it, again, that's your opinion. But it's not like we always say to each other "How can we impress Steve Winwood?" before every practice/show. We do it because we love the post-rock sound.

I guess it annoys me because I have to sift through the generic stuff to find anything good. I don't really think this 'rehashed' stuff by definition is actually post-rock. It's sitting on already established laurels and now it's really difficult to find anything good. Meanwhile, there's a large chunk of the fan base seemingly obsessed with 'epicness' and now you have bands just aiming for this instead of actually writing decent songs. But oh such and such a band is different because they have beats here and there or add a voila or some trite poo poo.

Also, I really love Caspian but Tertia is definitely a transitional album. Sorry. Caspian is definitely a band that used established methods to create their own blend of post-rock but I think they have been more successful solely because they can write decent songs.

I don't care about your band.

I don't think post-rock is dead I just want people like you to stop killing it.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Steve Winwood posted:

I guess it annoys me because I have to sift through the generic stuff to find anything good. I don't really think this 'rehashed' stuff by definition is actually post-rock. It's sitting on already established laurels and now it's really difficult to find anything good. Meanwhile, there's a large chunk of the fan base seemingly obsessed with 'epicness' and now you have bands just aiming for this instead of actually writing decent songs. But oh such and such a band is different because they have beats here and there or add a voila or some trite poo poo.

Also, I really love Caspian but Tertia is definitely a transitional album. Sorry. Caspian is definitely a band that used established methods to create their own blend of post-rock but I think they have been more successful solely because they can write decent songs.

I don't care about your band.

I don't think post-rock is dead I just want people like you to stop killing it.

You realize that what you're saying about post-rock can be applied to any given genre ever in the history of the world when you say you have to sift through the generic stuff to find something really original, right? Is there some reason you expect post-rock to be different? Or some reason why you expect people to not want to emulate their idols in post-rock, as in if they enjoy EITS you expect them to not make music that's obviously based on them in some way? There's always going to be bands that try to emulate the sound of the forefathers of the music they're making.

The people killing post-rock are you because if no one ever made a band because they weren't fully original in their sound there'd be so little music coming out, and you seem to want to poo poo on anything that isn't fully original in your angry eyes.

Also I already said this but I'm agreeing with the guys who love the new 65dos even if it isn't up to the post-rock "genre" definitions. I can't decide if I honestly like it more than their older stuff or not mostly because it's still so fresh, but right now it's sounding awesome.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Technetium posted:

The people killing post-rock are you because if no one ever made a band because they weren't fully original in their sound there'd be so little music coming out, and you seem to want to poo poo on anything that isn't fully original in your angry eyes.

I bought some delay and reverb pedals and I'm just gonna tremolo pick this note into epicness - you can't stop me!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Post-rock is the best genre and every band is original and you are wrong.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Rhgr posted:

Nadja should be right up your alley.

What are you basing this on? Yeah, 90% of new post rock bands are basically EITS ripoffs, but there's a lot going on with that other 10%.

Aye, Nadja or just listen to Loveless.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Oh aye, forgot to say, two new Constants songs on their site. I loving love them.

http://www.constantsound.com/

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I was curious as to how working with Broadrick would affect them - wasn't what I was expecting.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
There was no need to make any new post-rock once city of caterpillar came out with an album anyways.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
If you guys are fans of the new 65daysofstatic, and you want more of the electronica meets post rock sound I would check out the band Errors. Mogwai liked them enough to sign them to their label so you might too. Here's some of their singles:

A Rumour in Africa
Salut! France

(Oh, and one more time listen to The Mercury Program if you're tired of the generic post-rock stuff.)

rixor
Jul 14, 2004
your mom...
My band is post-rock I think. Fairly heavy. Here are some clips from our 2007 LP:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tenant

and the myspace :doh:
http://www.myspace.com/tenantband

E:

This kicks rear end! Thank you.

rixor fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 26, 2010

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Lord of Sword posted:

I like a lot of the bands in that 10% more than some of the 'classic' post-rock bands, especially sleepmakeswaves. I don't know any other band that sounds like them but they're still as post-rock as you can get. Plus it seems to have branched out or merged with other genres like math-rock or prog.

Chiming in to say that I approve of your username/AV/title combo.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Any of you who are good at deciphering lyrics mind telling me the words to "Come With Me" on the new 65dos?

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Allow me to introduce Kyte. They are what Sigur Rós would sound like if they were from the UK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BsAUZ7a81w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR2F_InVpis

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Medical posted:

Allow me to introduce Kyte. They are what Sigur Rós would sound like if they were from the UK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BsAUZ7a81w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR2F_InVpis

I'm surprised it took this long to introduce this mediocre band to this thread.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
^^^ What the gently caress? Kyte are pretty good. Saw them live at my local pub/venue some months ago, and took these shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elmarko/sets/72157617124386881/

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I forgot about Kyte - I was never able to get past the vocals. Now that I listen to it again it's like the kid from Owl City grew up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'd never heard of Kyte before so I listened to those two tracks. Those are the worst post-rock vocals I've ever heard. The instrumentation's great, but I can't get past the vocals either.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do vocals in post-rock. Sigur Ros, for example, does it the right way. Jonsi's vocals always sound so spacey and sublime. They fit really well with the music. This, though...I don't see why the guy felt the need to sing over good instrumentals. It cheapens it.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

The instrumentation's great, but I can't get past the vocals either.
Agreeing with this, I would be very interested in a karaoke version of Kyte's catalog.

Went to see Red Sparowes and Caspian Monday night. Red Sparowes put on a solid set (I'm not really that familiar with their music though) and Caspian kicked rear end as always. I spoke with Caspian's "frontman" briefly - he seems like a really nice, humble guy, and very appreciative of their fanbase. I'd also be curious to know how loving tall that guy is; granted I'm only 5'9", but I distinctly remember being on eye-level with his nipples.

E: Forgot Fang Island was there as well. I checked out their MySpace before heading out and although their music didn't really appeal to me, they put on a VERY energetic show and the crowd seemed really into it.

snortpocket fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 28, 2010

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I was expecting something terrible, but I guess it could be worse, it could be Efrim in A Silver Mt. Zion.

I'm thrilled that GY!BE is going together for one more (hopefully not last) tour, because god knows their work is leaps and bounds better than ASMZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

I'd never heard of Kyte before so I listened to those two tracks. Those are the worst post-rock vocals I've ever heard. The instrumentation's great, but I can't get past the vocals either.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do vocals in post-rock. Sigur Ros, for example, does it the right way. Jonsi's vocals always sound so spacey and sublime. They fit really well with the music. This, though...I don't see why the guy felt the need to sing over good instrumentals. It cheapens it.

I have a knack for letting vocals grow on me, but otherwise I feel the same way. Immanu El is another band that would sound a lot better without vocals, but the music is good enough for me to cope with them.

The Mercury Program is still the best post rock band.