Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Forest Fuckery posted:

This poo poo could have been perfectly plausible if Ippo had actually , y'know, PUNCHED Woli instead of just gently placing his fist at his side.

Magic samurai power apparently only manifests when you do something retarded while getting the everliving poo poo kicked out of you :argh:

To be fair, we're all kinda burned out on this fight. But if you go back and kind of speed run through it, Ippos punches have all been in basically the exact same loving spot. Anyone who has ever had a dead arm in college/high school knows that repetition can be a loving bitch, even if it is weak as hell.

Mori is just trying really hard to parallel the Hawk fight and the Kamogawa WWII fight. To be honest he's not doing a bad job in the basics, but as another poster said a half page ago, it's being killed by over-exaggeration of HOW BRUTAL that hit was and HOW WEAK that hit was, along with the terrible pacing.

I expect to re-read this a long while later and probably enjoy it about as much as I did the Gedo fight, which I read as one solid block and enjoyed overall despite flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Ok, here's my stupid logic. When you're running you can get a cramp if you're fully exhaled when your right foot impacts the ground. This is because your breathing is in cycle with your footsteps, and you're basically smashing your liver. I'm going to say Ippo's punches had a similar effect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The "Samurai Spirit" thing is just that "GUTS" stuff that Kamogawa goes on and on about for the entire manga.

Also I don't know how anyone can really get to bothered about "ridiculous" when there's this loving page:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/493/19/

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Fabricated posted:

The "Samurai Spirit" thing is just that "GUTS" stuff that Kamogawa goes on and on about for the entire manga.

Also I don't know how anyone can really get to bothered about "ridiculous" when there's this loving page:

http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/493/19/

Heh, speaking of which, I sincerely hope they bring back "Gatsun de gatsu" or whatever

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Raw is up! Some dude on Ignition-One got the manga itself and just took pictures of each page. Hilariously enough, it ended up looking better than most things RawParadise kicked out... :v:

Ippo and Woli enter a hitting match, and in spite of Woli hitting Ippo so drat much, he's so god damned braindead that our hard-headed hero never really backs off. Woli finally lands what looks like a pretty painful punch in to Ippo's face, but he simply leans in to it, gets in to Woli's space, and nails a pretty painful left in the same spot his ***MAGICAL FIST*** hit previously. Woli, as a result, looks to be in rather gut-wrenching pain. Ippo prepares to finish it when the bell rings Woli manages to jump backward all monkey-like. He ends up in the corner, where he can use the ropes to his advantage.

Woli grins, knowing that Ippo won't be able to do dick against him in the corner, since that's where he's at his best. Knowing Woli isn't going to budge, Ippo glimpses back at Kamogawa once before moving forward, starting to sway in a figure-eight pattern as the chapter ends.

Next chapter: Woli's going to get Dempsey rolled in the god drat face. It's definitely ending next time. Why? Well, in spite of this jump of desperation, Woli's legs are dead. Note how on P1000923 how Woli's legs are shaking (he's also flat-footed from how it sems). Adding to that, right before Woli jumps back, you see Ippo's arms shaking and lowering. He's about to pass out, as it stands.

Ippo's already been absolutely obliterated in the corner several times. My guess? The pain from Ippo's punches around his liver region either end up slowing him down, weakening his punch, or he simply screws up his delivery due to his damage. Ippo can't really have a sound tactic given how he fights, and how even Vorg went "what the hell" when he used the ropes to spring himself around. All I can say, though, is that Ippo's going to practically end up countering with the Dempsey roll. poo poo's gonna be painful for lil' Woli :psyduck:

Edit: Supposedly, what Kamogawa says on the final page is basically "the seal has been removed". I'm curious what Dempsey Roll 3.0 looks like. Is it just the same thing he used against Sawamura, but his joints can handle it now?

Geop fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 23, 2010

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Geop posted:

Edit: Supposedly, what Kamogawa says on the final page is basically "the seal has been removed". I'm curious what Dempsey Roll 3.0 looks like. Is it just the same thing he used against Sawamura, but his joints can handle it now?

One can only hope it ends up with a IRON FIST DEMPSEY ROLL. Every bone in Woli's body is crushed and we never. EVER. have to see this fight again.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
I hope Ippo hits Woli so hard that it causes Ippo to tear a rift in time and space and hits Mori in the face to knock some sense into him.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I've skimmed some chapters both recent and in the middle and how can people root for this main character? His way to win seems to be having an ability to take infinite punches to the face. :psyduck: Did I just check out the bad parts?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yes. Yes you did.

The best parts are pretty much the first 300 or so chapters.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tonfa posted:

I've skimmed some chapters both recent and in the middle and how can people root for this main character? His way to win seems to be having an ability to take infinite punches to the face. :psyduck: Did I just check out the bad parts?

In small doses a hero that keeps fighting on pure willpower can be pretty entertaining. That isn't Ippo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's funny how they do the right thing and make it a point to mention the potential for brain damage and actually make a point to note that most of the fighters go to the doctor/hospital after a fight to make sure there's no permanent damage. Then there's a character that's literally an example and warning of what happens if you take beatings for too long and get punch drunk...

Then they have Kamogawa and pretty much every other second in the series not throw in the towel when their boxers are getting their eye sockets caved in because they want to see them win.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Fabricated posted:

I think it's funny how they do the right thing and make it a point to mention the potential for brain damage and actually make a point to note that most of the fighters go to the doctor/hospital after a fight to make sure there's no permanent damage. Then there's a character that's literally an example and warning of what happens if you take beatings for too long and get punch drunk...

Then they have Kamogawa and pretty much every other second in the series not throw in the towel when their boxers are getting their eye sockets caved in because they want to see them win.

That's my main problem with how Ippo fights really. If they didn't make the effort to mention the realistic effects of taking that much damage I'd just write it off as "its a manga/is shonenesque" rather than find it hilarious and a little sad.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And, after all is said and done, Ippo is going to be "man, I need to help my mother tomorrow!" and Kamogawa will say "are you crazy! you almost died in there! rest for a day and come back to the gym the day after tomorrow"

Edit: and them he may have a date with Kumi that will lead nowhere

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

trucutru posted:

And, after all is said and done, Ippo is going to be "man, I need to help my mother tomorrow!" and Kamogawa will say "are you crazy! you almost died in there! rest for a day and come back to the gym the day after tomorrow"

Edit: and them he may have a date with Kumi that will lead nowhere

I forget, have those two even held hands yet?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I think she was going to sleep with him, but he got a head start and passed out on his on. I'm not worried about Ippo damaging his brain, he's already pretty retarded in a lot of aspects.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I think she was going to sleep with him, but he got a head start and passed out on his on. I'm not worried about Ippo damaging his brain, he's already pretty retarded in a lot of aspects.

Yeah Kumi, was gonna rock his bones and Ippo was like "DUR DUR DUR DUR HHHHHUUUUURRR" And she was like "If he puts his seed in me only failure will ensue"

Okay I made up the last part.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah Kumi, was gonna rock his bones and Ippo was like "DUR DUR DUR DUR HHHHHUUUUURRR" And she was like "If he puts his seed in me only failure will ensue"

Okay I made up the last part.

When did that happen? I thought that they almost kissed once after 5 years of dating. Kumi, just move on girl. You can't cure what is ailing Ippo (Miyata fever).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

When did that happen? I thought that they almost kissed once after 5 years of dating. Kumi, just move on girl. You can't cure what is ailing Ippo (Miyata fever).

I dunno precisely but before the randy boy jr fight at some point kumi and ippo were in a hotel room together which is japanese for "they gonna gently caress" and then nothing, much like this fight.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Big Mara Ippo would have destroyed her womb.

Like Woli is destroying his brain cells.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Big Mara Ippo would have destroyed her womb.

Like Woli is destroying his brain cells.

Good thing Ippo is a bottom then.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

That's my main problem with how Ippo fights really. If they didn't make the effort to mention the realistic effects of taking that much damage I'd just write it off as "its a manga/is shonenesque" rather than find it hilarious and a little sad.
Kamogawa with that one card where they were watching some guy get destroyed: SAVE YOUR BOXER YOU DUMB SECOND! THROW IN THE TOWEL!

*one match later*

Ippo: *literally has knuckle->skull impact craters and both eyes shut* I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME! I'LL WIN! :gibs:

Kamogawa: I'll let this guy beat you for maybe 2-3 more rounds, then I'll think about throwing in the towel. Show me your guts kid!

Morikawa: Boxing is cool kids! You should try boxing!

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 23, 2010

Cross012
Jun 10, 2009

by mons all madden
Still think that Ippo suffered massive brain injury some fights ago and thats the explanation for all the crazy things that have been happening, eventually the series will get even more over the top and end with Ippo becoming grand master champion of the world.

The last few panels showing Ippo on a bed covered in drool and piss as his mother changes his man diaper.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Kamogawa with that one card where they were watching some guy get destroyed: SAVE YOUR BOXER YOU DUMB SECOND! THROW IN THE TOWEL!
Well, if I remember proper, in that case the boxer was being snowballed. Ippo was getting slaughtered up until now, but he's still had some degree of mental faculties about him. I agree that it is silly how he doesn't listen to his own advice, but he also knows that Ippo has an immune brain and a skull made out of cast iron :v:

Regardless, things had better change in how Ippo boxes, otherwise the fight against Martinez will go EXACTLY like this :argh: A year of god-moding will ensure, and around the end, Ippo asks his coach WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE STRONG after having beaten several dozen men half to death padded fists throughout his career.

Geop fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 23, 2010

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
how the heck is Ippo even about the underdog anymore? he's the country champion, it's like Takamura now being the world champion, he's way past underdog

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

how the heck is Ippo even about the underdog anymore? he's the country champion, it's like Takamura now being the world champion, he's way past underdog
Whenever Ippo finally goes to the world stage, he'll be an underdog. Bear in mind that his opponents will be rankers, and the fights will probably be in enemy territory quite often (something Ippo hasn't dealt with since, what, Sendo?).

Most of his opponents are just gonna look at him and go "heh :smuggo: all offense no defense. SWISS CHEESE FIGHTER"

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Ippo becomes world champion, and gets knocked off the throne by a young, unknown, underdog. Takamura could then meet Ippo under the tree, where Ippo first learned the jab. He'd ask Ippo to retire, since he's come so far, and much further than anyone expected. At that point, Takamura could be running the gym.
That would be a cool way to end the series actually. It could complete the underdog cycle.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 23, 2010

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine
I heard Woli getting smashed into his base atomic elements what did I miss

Also, this Garouden stuff is like Ippo therapy. After awhile, you dont see the :downs: faces.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have seen the raw for 892, and I have this to say:

892 ends with a cliffhanger so assholish I wanted to punch my monitor. Chapter 893: Dempsey Roll vs Corner Hijinks!

You may want to avoid that spoiler. It might bring you estatic joy, or hellish rage.:iiam:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Next chapter had better loving go like this.

Syllogism
Jun 7, 2001

We have listened. We are unmoved. The cleansing will proceed.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

He is too tired to actually finish him off with dempsey roll, however.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/06/06825e50eb01ec13b7854af91cb1a2f735803ee7.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/42/427aaba8dd5526a65da19e17e4caeabe5709e81b.jpg

Syllogism fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 28, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Just saw the raw and came here to post about it. Beaten :arghfist:

Woli sees the Dempsey Roll and immediately recognizes the figure-eight pattern, and basically goes "LOL TOO EASY :smuggo:" He begins bounding off the ropes, and per Miguel's earlier advice, he's just to circle around and cold-cock him. Ippo's movements slow and he can't muster the strength for a punch, and just as Woli is about to circle him, he speeds up and expands his swaying, basically blocking off the route Woli was going to take. Woli freezes, seeming surprised at how Ippo suddenly picked up a ridiculous speed burst. But he finally runs out of gas. Woli darts away, trying to get out of the corner and circle Ippo, but our hard-headed hero goes "OH NO YOU DON'T" and nails him ridiculously hard in the liver with a pretty brutal punch.

No chapter next week due to Golden Week, from what I've heard.

Also, 892 is up and translated.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
Every time they show either Ippo or Woli's heart it looks like Morikawa is trying to draw a scrotum.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Coughing Hobo posted:

Woli still not dead, left dissatisfied

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
"Makanouchi pulls out his deadliest weapon!"

*draws a gun and shoots Woli in the face*

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

KittenofDoom posted:

*draws a gun and shoots Woli in the face*

It's Japan, so it would have to be an airsoft gun, and then Ippo would just get punched some more

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Well, at least it's concluding. We're almost out of this fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Jedah posted:

Oh you poor sap.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Jedah posted:

I'm thankful for that at least. But it is more of relief that it is over than enjoyment of the conclusion. Ippo wins because he is the protagonist, hurray.

Hopefully it doesn't drag out further.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 28, 2010

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Oh you poor sap.

Nah it's cool man, thanks to this ridiculously long fight, I've read 5 or 6 other manga. I've discovered.. there are many, many manga that are currently better than Hajime No Ippo. Vinland Saga, anyone? In the glory days, Ippo was the best. Perhaps those days are long gone. It all started with Ippo's silly campaign to become the unofficial OPBF Champion. It's finally ending, though, and please, may the whole drat thing never resurface again.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

KittenofDoom posted:

*Pulls out his elephant cock and mixes it in with the dempsey*

Fixed.