Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Senator Woofington posted:

It is cool and crappy starting a project like this with no prior knowledge.

It's perfectly ok. We were all there at some point. You're willing to learn and thats all that counts.

Could you post a picture of your leaking carburetor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
he said banjo. I bet it's a SHA 12:14. The banjo is not the right part. On the bottom of the carb there's a black plastic cup. Remove that. Under that cup is plastic ring, that ring is your float. At one side of the float, there is a hinge. Under that hinge is the float valve.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Nerobro posted:

he said banjo. I bet it's a SHA 12:14. The banjo is not the right part. On the bottom of the carb there's a black plastic cup. Remove that. Under that cup is plastic ring, that ring is your float. At one side of the float, there is a hinge. Under that hinge is the float valve.

OK I'll get a pic tomorrow when my camera is charged. I turned off my gasline from my tank to my carb and the leaking did appear to stop so it does in fact seem like it is likely something in the carb. I turn 21 at midnight tonight though so I have to get ready for that.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Wow what a night! Anyway work continues on the ped:

So my carb is leaking. I am not sure how. However there was fuel in it today, enough sitting in the bottom of the cup for several leak tests. So I am fairly certain the problem is not related to the bottom end of the carburetor. When sloshing the thing around trying to find the leak I found it, in two spots at the top where the throttle line comes in.

That is the carburetor, and here is where the leak is:

Its in the top left part where it has the outjetting section.

on the other side it has an almost identical outjetting and it leaks from there as well.

I checked the gasket and it seems like it is sealing all around. I have tightened the top part down as much as I am willing to. I just don't understand why it is leaking from here.

But on the bright side, my exhaust came today.

So anyone got any ideas?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
.... Carbs are not sealed. if you "slosh it around" fuel will come out of it.

That's a Delorto SHA series carb. Do not over tighten those top screws.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Nerobro posted:

.... Carbs are not sealed. if you "slosh it around" fuel will come out of it.

That's a Delorto SHA series carb. Do not over tighten those top screws.

OK. Hmmmm. So what could be causing my leak then?

edit: I guess the thing that confuses me most is, if it is supposed to leak like that, won't it leak all the time? The carburetor is well below the gas tank so if the gas level is ever higher than the carburetor it will just fill it till its overflowing correct?

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 28, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the floats are working correctly, it wont overflow.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Phat_Albert posted:

If the floats are working correctly, it wont overflow.

Alright I didnt want to do it for fear of screwing something up but I'll take it apart and get at the floats.

OK here we go, here are as many pictures as one man can take of a float and its hinge. I noticed that the float doesn't want to come up all the way because of that pin it carries by its hinge so I could only lift it so much:

I tried cleaning it as much as I could while I was in there. Thanks again for all your help guys, if you can spot anything go right ahead!

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 28, 2010

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Alright I didnt want to do it for fear of screwing something up but I'll take it apart and get at the floats.

Let me tell you something you need to learn quickly.

It's just mopeds. Tons of people hack together perfectly well-running, even fast, mongrel peds out of 30 year old parts. The engines are ridiculously simple. Nearly nothing you do is irreversible or will break your bike beyond what a few hours of diagnosis and labor will fix.

Air + fuel go into cylinder, governed by the throttle. It gets compressed and goes boom, bike goes forward. It's literally that simple. Everything else is just details. It's just mopeds, man. Sucks when it's not running, awesome when it does, but it almost never requires more than a few hours work or a sub-$50 part to get going again.

Edit: Yeah that carb is like brand loving new there's nothing wrong with it. You read that carb article, right? The float floats in the fuel bowl. When the fuel level gets too low, it opens the fuel flow and the bowl fills back up, raising the float, closing the fuel flow. Your carb likely (definitely?) has a "tickle" button that presses the float down and makes fuel flow into the bowl. So imagine that physically taking place and all is well in the cosmos.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 28, 2010

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ShaneB posted:

Let me tell you something you need to learn quickly.

It's just mopeds. Tons of people hack together perfectly well-running, even fast, mongrel peds out of 30 year old parts. The engines are ridiculously simple. Nearly nothing you do is irreversible or will break your bike beyond what a few hours of diagnosis and labor will fix.

Air + fuel go into cylinder, governed by the throttle. It gets compressed and goes boom, bike goes forward. It's literally that simple. Everything else is just details. It's just mopeds, man. Sucks when it's not running, awesome when it does, but it almost never requires more than a few hours work or a sub-$50 part to get going again.

Edit: Yeah that carb is like brand loving new there's nothing wrong with it. You read that carb article, right? The float floats in the fuel bowl. When the fuel level gets too low, it opens the fuel flow and the bowl fills back up, raising the float, closing the fuel flow. Your carb likely (definitely?) has a "tickle" button that presses the float down and makes fuel flow into the bowl. So imagine that physically taking place and all is well in the cosmos.

Haha thanks man, I'll keep that in mind and start being a bit more aggressive!

So the tickle button is a good thing right? We managed to determine where the leak was coming from. Or at least an estimate. Gas is so not viscous that its kinda hard to determine the point of the leak, but we do know that it is either leaking on the left side of the carb, where either the fuel inlet is (where the gas line enters the carb) or at the seal where the cup and the carb meet. Here I circled the area in question in this picture:

So the leak is coming out of one of those. The carb sits in the frame slightly rotated sideways. Its only a like a 10 to 20 degree rotation, and its so I can engage the choke. Could this be the culprit? It is almost unnoticeable unless you are staring at the carb, thats how little the rotation is. But it is leaking on the side that gravity would dictate it should leak out of with that rotation.

edit: Also could I get a link to that carb article in case I missed it?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
Brilliant pictures. Gently press the small pin out of the hinge and remove the float. Lift the float valve (the needle thing the float closes on) out and show me a picture of the surface on the conical tip of it.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Blaster of Justice posted:

Brilliant pictures. Gently press the small pin out of the hinge and remove the float. Lift the float valve (the needle thing the float closes on) out and show me a picture of the surface on the conical tip of it.

As soon as I get home I'll do this.

edit: Probably gonna have to wait till tomorrow on this.

side edit: Got to ride it for the first time today. Its leaking, the brakes drag and the tires are in dire need of repairs but those few feet were glorious!

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 29, 2010

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Awesome Update!

Thanks to everyone who gave me help with the carb leak. Turns out I am the biggest dolt and the fuel line was too old and it was leaking. I don't leak at all now.

The bike is riding better now. I cleaned and fixed the brakes, they both work properly now. The wheels spin nice. Going uphill the bike moans a little and generally won't pass 10mph but downhill it looks to be hauling between 20 and 30. Its fun to ride but a little terrifying because it still likes to make all these awful sounds.

Tweaked the screw thing on the side of the carb that changes the mixture, and got it now where it wants to idle where it should and the smallest twist lets the centrifugal clutch engage.

Couple questions guys:

1) I have been looking online for my tires. They seem to be hard to come by. They are 2.5" x 17" (that is width by diameter as given in the manual). Are these uncommon now a days?
2) The bike feels like it has more potential but I don't know why it feels like its dragging. Both the tires now rotate nicely and freely, but it feels like something is always slowing down the bike. I will be replacing the gearbox oil (or engine oil as it is called in the manual). Any other ideas?
3) Where can I get some kick rear end aviator goggles?

Things I have left to do on this bike:

-Replace its parking light.
-Fix its one pedal. I need to somehow bend it out so it doesn't hit the new muffler.
-Get new tires
-Change the gearbox oil
-Register it causes CA is stupid like that

Once these are down I will be comfortable riding this baby distance!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

I have been looking online for my tires. They seem to be hard to come by. They are 2.5" x 17" (that is width by diameter as given in the manual). Are these uncommon now a days?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5/32/404/11893/ITEM/Michelin-Gazelle-M62-Moped-Tire.aspx

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Thanks!

I would have used that link but just a bit ago I managed to get them ordered at a local bike store.

So now I have my tires. I changed my oil and it seems to run a little smoother but that could just be me.

Also I just discovered an interesting little quirk: If I open up my throttle for a period of time, after a while the bike starts to like... kick. It juts me forward (or that is to say the bike backwards) but then recovers and continues doing this until the engine slowly kills itself. Is this me flooding the engine? Am I overheating it?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Thanks!

I would have used that link but just a bit ago I managed to get them ordered at a local bike store.

So now I have my tires. I changed my oil and it seems to run a little smoother but that could just be me.

Also I just discovered an interesting little quirk: If I open up my throttle for a period of time, after a while the bike starts to like... kick. It juts me forward (or that is to say the bike backwards) but then recovers and continues doing this until the engine slowly kills itself. Is this me flooding the engine? Am I overheating it?

It might be four-stroking, which is a sign of it running rich. Are you using the same filter it came with? It might be slightly clogged if it's like, 30 years old, causing you to run rich.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It might be four-stroking, which is a sign of it running rich. Are you using the same filter it came with? It might be slightly clogged if it's like, 30 years old, causing you to run rich.

Air filter? Yeah I slipped it onto the new carb. It is clean and in good shape though.

edit: gently caress, now my engine just dies. It no longer recovers with it revs down now, it just kills itself.

So here is what I have learned:

The engine will kill itself after about 10 seconds of riding or so. Once I feel it losing power, it will continue to do so regardless of the throttle state, although releasing the throttle will slow down its death a little.

If the bike is on its stand and the wheel is free, I can start the engine and run it while revving indefinitely. It sounds very good when I do this, like it should when I am riding. However if I then release the throttle suddenly instead of slowly revving it die, it will again die.

I can only start the bike with the choke, no matter how warm the engine gets. However as soon as the engine takes, or starts up I have to release the choke and rev it otherwise it will die. So my start up procedure is Choke->Kick->release choke-> rev. Otherwise it simply won't start.

What the gently caress is going on here?

Is it possible to overfill engine oil? I changed the oil yesterday and I didn't know how much to put in so I just filled it to the top. Was that a dumb idea?

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 1, 2010

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

You have an air leak someplace is my guess. You can only run it on choke as the air is making you run super lean.

This sounds similar to when I blew a base gasket on my Puch. First, make sure you have the cylinder head/jug tightened to the exact torque specs for the bike. Then I'd check:

1. Intake - carb fitting.
2. Intake - jug gasket.
3. (if those check out) head gasket and base gasket. These are super cheap at treats, so I'd just get a set in case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Is it possible to overfill engine oil? I changed the oil yesterday and I didn't know how much to put in so I just filled it to the top. Was that a dumb idea?

Don't know mopeds, but I don't think you're supposed to fill them up to the top.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Where did you even put oil into a two stroke?

Trent28
Aug 1, 2008
Transmission fluid?

Anyways, on my Newport it'll overflow before you fill it too much, and it specifically says in the manual not to try and tip it sideways to get more oil in. Infact transmissions generally don't like being overfilled.

Not quite sure about yours though?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

So I'm debating buying this because it seems fun to toy around with mostly, and considering it to bring to an outdoor festival I help organize that would be convenient for moving around the grounds quickly:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1721317279.html

My question is how easily it would fit into the back of a hatchback where the back seats fold down (Honda Insight 2010)? It's pretty small right, like the size of a bicycle or smaller? Do the front wheel and handlebars come off easily?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

So I'm debating buying this because it seems fun to toy around with mostly, and considering it to bring to an outdoor festival I help organize that would be convenient for moving around the grounds quickly:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1721317279.html

My question is how easily it would fit into the back of a hatchback where the back seats fold down (Honda Insight 2010)? It's pretty small right, like the size of a bicycle or smaller? Do the front wheel and handlebars come off easily?

Front wheel yes, handle bars not so much, but you can loosen a few bolts on the bar mounts and fold them down. I fit a Honda Hobbit into my Honda Fit without even folding the bars down. It was a tight fit.

Hobbits own. That one just sounds like its running lean, might need some air leaks taken care of or just a rejetting.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Awesome, and excuse my complete and total moped ignorance (I've never touched one), but if it runs out of gas or breaks down, you can actually still operate it as a pedal bike, right?

edit: Oh, and how does it handle on gravel roads and grass?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Its engine oil apparently. So it turns out I did way overfill it. So I drained it out today and this piece fell out of it:

I think its just part of the gasket that goes with the screw on the bottom that I unscrewed to drain the oil, its the right size for that piece too.

However I started up my engine and it turned on for a bit and as I revved it smoke just poured out of my exhaust and then the engine killed itself. I did this once more and now the engine won't start for anything. I honestly have no idea what is going on, the oil is properly filled right now.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

Awesome, and excuse my complete and total moped ignorance (I've never touched one), but if it runs out of gas or breaks down, you can actually still operate it as a pedal bike, right?

edit: Oh, and how does it handle on gravel roads and grass?

If you mean "still operate" in that it can physically move yes, but a Hobbit is like 100+ lbs and the gear ratio on the bicycle side is utterly useless. You could go somewhere but you wouldn't want to.

With the normal tires, most motorized bikes don't do well on gravel at any speed. Grass is better. You could throw some knobbies on there (if you could find them in the right size) like some kind of dirtbike, I guess.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, mopeds may have pedals, but they're utterly useless bicycles. The pedals at this point are a vestige to accommodate certain state laws (some states require pedals on mopeds).

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cool, I really appreciate the input. Since it sounds like that one on CL is in poor shape, is it a bad idea for someone with basically no mechanical experience to take on? I like working my hands and building things, but I've never done anything with motors. If it's pretty much as simple as swapping out parts with a wrench though, I could probably handle it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

It can be simple or hard, depending on how easily you pick things up. But a moped is about as mechanically simple as things get, so if you're at all interested in becoming mechanically inclined, it's a good first project. You need to be patient and willing to seek out information yourself, however.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cool, I'll go check it out then. I figure I can't go that wrong for $175, especially considering it seems to (barely) run currently.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

Cool, I'll go check it out then. I figure I can't go that wrong for $175, especially considering it seems to (barely) run currently.

Did you get it? The post is deleted, I see.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Nah, somebody beat me to it. I'll keep my eye out for another, though. Is a Puch or Tomos generally as small, or is that just the Hobbit?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anybody going to any rallys this summer? The only ones I can make are going to be Ghost Ride (Aug 20-22 in Grand Rapids MI), SHS (Oct 1-3 in Pittsburgh), or Greatest Kits (Oct 22-24 in Austin). Probably going to only go to one of the two in October, depending on who here in Ann Arbor is going to what.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ShaneB posted:

Anybody going to any rallys this summer? The only ones I can make are going to be Ghost Ride (Aug 20-22 in Grand Rapids MI), SHS (Oct 1-3 in Pittsburgh), or Greatest Kits (Oct 22-24 in Austin). Probably going to only go to one of the two in October, depending on who here in Ann Arbor is going to what.

Where can I find out where rallies are taking place?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Where can I find out where rallies are taking place?

You probably should have a running ped for one, but moped army has a calendar.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ShaneB posted:

You probably should have a running ped for one, but moped army has a calendar.

Why do you try to hurt me?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Well I just wanted to let you all know, my derbi is now fully operable and rideable. I'm gonna take her out to get lunch now! And I know I got on a lot of people's rough sides cause I shitted up this thread with constant problems and zero knowledge, but seriously, thank you to everyone who helped me get this guy going, I am seriously appreciative!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Well I just wanted to let you all know, my derbi is now fully operable and rideable. I'm gonna take her out to get lunch now! And I know I got on a lot of people's rough sides cause I shitted up this thread with constant problems and zero knowledge, but seriously, thank you to everyone who helped me get this guy going, I am seriously appreciative!

Just when I break mine again!

Good work!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

It's not a problem, but you may owe the scooter thread an apology (though I'd feel mildly flattered they named their thread after you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It's not a problem, but you may owe the scooter thread an apology (though I'd feel mildly flattered they named their thread after you).

Yeah I know right? I wasn't saying scooters are gay, I was asking why there is such a stigma with scooters and being gay in our society. You can deny it all you want, but that poo poo is still there. And I still want a honda ruckus!

• Locked thread