Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

I'll throw my name in the hat to go kill some people.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/fury1671/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Me, greed and hard clumping are on the Pez server, come join us and glory in the grief of using the radio to fake a C4

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
No offense guys, but do you mind making a new thread for this before it derails this thread too badly?

I mean feel free to cross post with hilarious griefs you come up with, but putting the signups in another thread would be preferable.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Hord Clampin: i like my hotpocket strategy
Hord Clampin: shotgun shells = hotpockets
Greed: why not just call it the shotgun shell strategy then
Hord Clampin: because if you say "whoever finds me gets free shotgun shells" no one tries to find you
Greed: brilliant

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You don't even have to try. It's amazing.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
the only thing AXE COP sucks at is NOT DEFENDING AMERICA :patriot:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Well I did my patriotic duty and got banned. Gag/mute doesn't work for admin chat. Binding a key to "You're a loving human being" and spamming them will eventually net you a ban when they get tired of reading it.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://steamcommunity.com/id/stuntmano21
Add me to this poo poo. If you're ever on a map with an elevator, use bodies to stick it. Anyone touching a flailing part of it will be killed instantly, and the elevator is unusable.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Soulex posted:

Well I did my patriotic duty and got banned. Gag/mute doesn't work for admin chat. Binding a key to "You're a loving human being" and spamming them will eventually net you a ban when they get tired of reading it.

Just going on these servers and randomly killing and doing poo poo like this will just get you banned or kicked, there's plenty of good opportunities playing by the "rules" Anyways, I'll make a thread tomorrow unless someone beats me to it, in the meantime it seems like some of the servers are messed up since there was a Gmod update today. It's kind of neat, you can't tell when someone's attacking so it ends up being a bizarrely hosed up sea of terrorists wandering around with their arms sticking out.

robot
Sep 24, 2004
yawn
If anyone wants to play TTT here's my Steam ID:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/fiveofakind

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'd be up for some TTT fun
http://steamcommunity.com/id/raventhero

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Industrial posted:

More UO Stories:
Impersonating an NPC

A semi-grief, you could do the same with town cryers! (I think you can still do this) You can't kill town cryers and take their clothes but you can make a similar outfit.

Stand on top of a town cryer. Wait until they idle and 'look around'. For some reason, this puts your sprite underneath the town cryer, and the real town cryer on top.

So what you do is make your chat text white and then say what town cryers say when there is new news. I don't quite remember but it was something along the lines of "Here ye! Here ye! I have new news to announce! Just say 'news' to hear more about it!"

This would get the attention of anyone at Britain bank, as town cryers are rarely used. They say 'news' to the town cryer, which he/she replies "I have no news at this time".

I loved doing this because it worked almost 100% of the time. I've had confused people stand there spamming 'news' just to get it to 'work' and even a GM laugh at me for my creativity.

Why guards cast 'lightning bolt' or, How to Crash a UO Server

Some say that guards cast lightning bolt because sometimes one hit wasn't enough to finish off a criminal (which is partly true, I think if you had reactive armor on you could survive the initial blow). Some say it was because people were GMing archery in Moonglow behind the fence (also partly true, but that is why the Moonglow bank has that nice looking flower garden to the south). Oh no! Lightning bolt was added after someone found a bug that literally griefed OSI!

Now the details are sketchy but I think this is how it went down:

West Britain bank is in kind of an L shape. You would stand on the roof (which at the time you weren't supposed to be up there anyway but they pretty much don't care anymore) at the north-east corner of the bottom part of the L. Do something, anything, that would call the guards on you, and a guard would appear... on the ground at the bottom of the bank.

The guard can't reach you, but he's still trying to attack you. Now, you are grey (criminal), the guard is blue(innocent). The grey timer is 5(?) minutes. You wait until the timer wears off. The guard is trying to attack a blue. Now you are blue, and the guard turns grey.

Now, you can call guards on the guard and two guards will come and kill him... but instead, if you wait for the guards criminal timer to wear off, now you have a blue guard trying to dispatch a blue!

Now call guards! Two guards appear and attack the blue, flagging the guards as criminals. NPC's have cat-like reflexes, they will call guards the second a crime has been committed. So before the two guards have a chance to even go from blue to grey, the NPC calls guards on the two guards who just appeared.

Suddenly, four guards appear to dispatch the two guards, eight guards appear to dispatch the four guards, sixteen guards appear to dispatch the eight guards, until Britain gets so full of guards the server can't take it and it crashes!

Lightning was added so that if this were to happen again it would just one-shot you.

I think this originally happened on Atlantic (there was a picture on the net of it a long time ago somewhere, if anyone could find it I would be grateful) but it was successfully duplicated on the test server with lightning (I'm not sure how this one was started, I think it was an error in code that made guards grey automatically):

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Greifing used to be too easy

In UO's skill system, there is arrow next to each skill. You make this arrow point up, if you want it to go up, or down if you want it to go down, or a lock if you want it right where it is. But before you had this option there was a way to really ruin someone's day in literally a second.

See, if you were going to Grandmaster something, you were REALLY a Grandmaster. Before the days of macro programs and key-recorders, you had to sit there and do everything by hand. Skill-gain was hard, especially after 80. Most people would have 1, maybe 2 skills grandmastered. A grandmastered skill is 100.0. Skills usually went up by 0.1 at a time. If you wanted to GM, lets say, Blacksmithing, it might take an hour just to get 0.1 increase at a time, Especially in the 90.0's.

But like every online game you'd have those people who would get really deep in the game. So deep that they would actually sit there any become a 7x (or 700.0 maximum skill points alloted) grandmaster.

How can you ruin someone's hard work in literally seconds? Well lets say there are a bunch of 7x GMs at the crowded Britain bank and you knew this, simply build a fire!

You see, there are two way to log out. Enter an Inn or Tavern and quit, or Build a fire, open a bedroll, and 'when your camp has been established', it's safe to log out. Camping was a skill, which gained weather you started the campfire or not. All you had to do was be around one. Or two. Or TEN!

So to a 7x GM: Your skill in camping has increased by 0.1 - 0.3 - 0.5 "NOOOO" Your skill in blacksmith has decreased by 0.9!

When a campfire was lit, watching the mighty 7x GM's scuttle away like ants so they wouldn't gain any skill was hilarious. Especially if you lit multiple campfires!

God I miss the good ol' days.

Edit: Not sure if she has been posted but a lesser known was Belan, the Noble Looter http://www.askcorran.com/belan/episodes.html

She had some excellent greifing adventures, but some of her stories are just little comics though.

MageMage fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 1, 2010

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Two things are very clear to me

1. I need to get into UO, if it's still somewhat worth getting into
2. I need to go home and get TTT, because god drat

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I didn't have much luck with TTT myself. I had no idea what to do to grief.

I just stood around, confused while people had a conversation about the ottoman empire and didn't kill each other.

I think I got griefed..

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm willing to give TTT a shot, but I still remain apathetic since my last foray into goon group griefing didn't live up to the hype.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/logikrawk

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QwertySanchez posted:

I didn't have much luck with TTT myself. I had no idea what to do to grief.

I just stood around, confused while people had a conversation about the ottoman empire and didn't kill each other.

I think I got griefed..

Get a friend to play, and if a traitor dies, have him ask the traitor in deadchat who the traitors are. Kill those people. If you're the traitor, gather all the traitors together and use a suicide bomb. Toss incendiaries past barricades. Steal traitor items and kill the detective with them. Keep getting the disarm code on a C4 wrong so it blows up quicker. Push people into a place that kills you with your crowbar. Shoot explosive barrels. Or, you can straight-up kill people, but that lowers your damage next round, so do it sparingly or indirectly.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Okay I'm adding all of you who have posted your steam pages (make sure to IM me so i know who you are when you accept), but let's stop making GBS threads up the thread with invite requests-

just add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/hardclumping and i'll get you into the group.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Industrial posted:

More UO Stories:

The Joys of Taming

You could name your animals (no spaces)

Actually you CAN name your animals with 1 or 2 spaces. At least, you COULD.

Lets say you have "a horse". Well, there is a space in "a horse" so all you have to do is move the text bracket to "(the blank space)" and hit backspace to erase "a". Put in the first part of the name you want. Now move the cursor to the right of "horse" and backspace it. Now put the second part of the name in. So you can literally have "a horse" be "Bill Cosby" with a space.

This works for animals that have 2 spaces, too. Such as, "a rideable llama". Like I said, I'm not sure if it's still possible. Though, most people just named their pets "a" anyway.

Everquest: Why I loved being a bard

Bring the fastest thing on 2 legs was glorious! You were desired in groups, you had one of the easiest epics, and on raids there weren't usually a lot of bards so if bard-specific things dropped they were automatically yours!

But my favorite was charming. Bards had a charm that lasted about 15 seconds. I discovered that charmed creatures, once it wears off, resets the aggro (who did the most damage to you and who it hates the most).

So lets say I'm in a group in the overcrowded Karnor's castle (it's been awhile since I've played so forgive me if my terminology is off), and there aren't any nearby creatures for my group to get XP on (sad!), well good ol bard here can remedy that!

Run up to a group that's just about killed a creature, and before it starts to flee (otherwise, this wont work, your 'pet' will just keep 'fleeing'), charm it! The 'pet' automatically follows you, and you run back to your group.

Now you have a pet with almost no HP left. The charm wears off, forgets that silly old group it was attacking, and gets slaughtered in two seconds by your group, giving YOUR group the full XP and looting rights. It sure was nice of that group to do all the hard work for us!

100% of the time the group I 'stole' the mob from, thought that the aggro attached to me and I was trying to flee! Help me! Help me! This monster is bugged, it's attacking me but no one can kill it! This wasn't illegal, and I they would either figure it out on their own or, I would feel sorry for them, steal my last mob, and use /pet owner(?) to make the mob say "I am loyal to you so-and-so", helping them figure it out.

Another advantage to this was training. Training people was so simple as a bard. Oh a dragon? Follow me! Lets go ruin someone's day! A newbie is sitting down, waiting for their mana to regenerate? Charm some giants, run over to the newbie, invisible yourself, and watch the hilarity!

This was especially easy with the bards 1 area of effect song that did minimal damage but would attract huge trains!

I think the one thing that bards couldn't do was be invisible to undead creatures. Other than that, the sky was the limit!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Stuntman posted:

Get a friend to play, and if a traitor dies, have him ask the traitor in deadchat who the traitors are. Kill those people. If you're the traitor, gather all the traitors together and use a suicide bomb. Toss incendiaries past barricades. Steal traitor items and kill the detective with them. Keep getting the disarm code on a C4 wrong so it blows up quicker. Push people into a place that kills you with your crowbar. Shoot explosive barrels. Or, you can straight-up kill people, but that lowers your damage next round, so do it sparingly or indirectly.

Don't forget that you can block someone from going through a door by spamming use on it.

If you ever find yourself on TTT_Island, it has a big ol' tower with a ledge on the top, surrounded by a rail, which people stand on a lot for sniping. Walk up behind 'em and use your crowbar's secondary attack to push them off the edge, leaving a corpse with no evidence.

TTT_District has a 'traitor testing chamber' in the basement of the mayor's mansion. Walk a dude into a room, lock the door and hit a button, and a light flashes to indicate if they're traitor or innocent. There's also a button to gas whoever's in the room. When half the server is crowded around said buttons it's pretty easy for someone to "accidentally" set off the gas and murder whoever's being tested, innocent or not.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
there's plenty of NORMAL garrysmod servers to grief on too. We have a thread for the goon servers for Garrysmod here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3200361&pagenumber=11#pti38

we used to do pubbie RP invasions and poo poo like that.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Hard Clumping posted:

Hord Clampin: i like my hotpocket strategy
Hord Clampin: shotgun shells = hotpockets
Greed: why not just call it the shotgun shell strategy then
Hord Clampin: because if you say "whoever finds me gets free shotgun shells" no one tries to find you
Greed: brilliant

I was going to post this here, I laughed so much it's like we rehearsed it

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
apparently i'm late but i'll be happy to join in. http://steamcommunity.com/id/aerobicrobot

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Greedish posted:

I was going to post this here, I laughed so much it's like we rehearsed it

We have a certain chemistry, you and I.

Really though, I wish I had waited and let you post it, me posting it makes it look like I'm all :smug:

(not to say that i'm not :smugbert:)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The renaming made me remember a time where I 'griefed' the developers of Achaea

To celebrate the in-game year 350 or so, they made a new game event, Foozle. The object of this game was to fill up your 'foozle-box' by taking pictures of NPCs. You'd get a list of 5 NPCs worth a certain amount of points, ranging from easy to find butterflies to the King of the Underworld that kills groups of people in 5 seconds.

They also added the option to name your pets for 1000 in-game gold (not that much) a while before Foozle. This was intended to let players personalize their mounts and other pets that didn't die. As an occultist, I had an army of pets, but if you named them and you had to resummon one, it didn't keep the name. I quickly combined the Foozle game and the naming system to rename all my pets to the harder-to-reach NPCs and tested if it worked. It did!

I then reported this bug to one of the developers. I could have abused it, but it'd probably have resulted in me being disqualified and bad stuff happening to me. What happened now was the developers stopping their hotly anticipated new game for 2 hours while they fixed the Foozle-box only working on the actual NPCs instead of renamed pets. Lots of people were bitching and saying I should be temp-banned for abusing a bug like that :toot:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

nimby posted:

The renaming made me remember a time where I 'griefed' the developers of Achaea

To celebrate the in-game year 350 or so, they made a new game event, Foozle. The object of this game was to fill up your 'foozle-box' by taking pictures of NPCs. You'd get a list of 5 NPCs worth a certain amount of points, ranging from easy to find butterflies to the King of the Underworld that kills groups of people in 5 seconds.

They also added the option to name your pets for 1000 in-game gold (not that much) a while before Foozle. This was intended to let players personalize their mounts and other pets that didn't die. As an occultist, I had an army of pets, but if you named them and you had to resummon one, it didn't keep the name. I quickly combined the Foozle game and the naming system to rename all my pets to the harder-to-reach NPCs and tested if it worked. It did!

I then reported this bug to one of the developers. I could have abused it, but it'd probably have resulted in me being disqualified and bad stuff happening to me. What happened now was the developers stopping their hotly anticipated new game for 2 hours while they fixed the Foozle-box only working on the actual NPCs instead of renamed pets. Lots of people were bitching and saying I should be temp-banned for abusing a bug like that :toot:

Achaea sounds like fun (for both griefing and not), is it still worth taking a shot? I'm a sucker for detailed MUDs like that :shobon:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I haven't played in 2-3 years. Towards the end of my playtime it got pretty dull as combat started to revolve around who could gank who the fastest in the cheapest possible ways. It also takes a huge time/money investment to get enough skills trained to be competitive in combat.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
New GoronCity. gently caress year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jORmuUQlHqg

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Code Jockey posted:

Two things are very clear to me

1. I need to get into UO, if it's still somewhat worth getting into

It's not.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

MageMage posted:

Why guards cast 'lightning bolt' or, How to Crash a UO Server

Of course even after they fixed this you could just cast earthquake, which attacked every played/npc on screen and summoned a guard for each person attacked.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Aerobic Robot posted:

New GoronCity. gently caress year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jORmuUQlHqg

I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes these. I saw Fockbox exploiting that TF2 glitch on a server I frequent. It was pretty cool.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
The best part was them singing the theme song at the end. I want to go watch Duck Tales now.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
TTT is the best fun you can have in Gmod.

Want to play normally? Go ahead!

Want to kill everyone innocent and leave no evidence, block lots of people into a room, nudge people off of cliffs, lock people into DNA chambers then kill anyone who tries to help them, disable elevators with someone you just killed, mimic a C4 with a radio and shoot people in the head when they come to investigate, and hop infront of shooting people as an exploding barrel? Sure!

One of these days I'm going to succeed in falling on top of somebody while speccing as a cabinet

Kikka fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 1, 2010

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
There was this very vocal guy with a lisp called LeetGman that absolutely HATED being followed.

Guess what we did?

I'll let someone else post about The Furry Zone.

e: preferably Pfirstenhammer

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Greedish posted:

There was this very vocal guy with a lisp called LeetGman that absolutely HATED being followed.

Guess what we did?

I'll let someone else post about The Furry Zone.

e: preferably Pfirstenhammer

I think at the peak of our time with LeetGman, I had 7 people following him.

Was the Furry Zone last night? I have no idea what that is but once I do I have this suspicion that I'll regret going out and getting hammered instead of playing video games.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Hard Clumping posted:

I think at the peak of our time with LeetGman, I had 7 people following him.

Was the Furry Zone last night? I have no idea what that is but once I do I have this suspicion that I'll regret going out and getting hammered instead of playing video games.

He's since erased his Steam Profile, but a guy came into the server last night with the name Arctic Wolf, and predictably, had his DeviantArt and Furaffinity profiles linked to his userpage.

Someone else has logs of the trolling, I'm looking at you, Greed.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Phuzzy posted:

He's since erased his Steam Profile, but a guy came into the server last night with the name Arctic Wolf, and predictably, had his DeviantArt and Furaffinity profiles linked to his userpage.

gently caress, how did I miss this?

(i was probably distracted by locking dudes in closets then throwing incendiary nades in with them)

Apathetic Medic
Apr 22, 2010

Fun Shoe
http://steamcommunity.com/id/captaintralala

Hope I'm not too late to join :ohdear:

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Phuzzy posted:

You guys need SEADS in a bad way.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Phuzzy posted:

I'm so sorry, I lost them. I trolled him a lot in text after my mic went bust though, half of my jokes were just convoluted stories that ended in dog loving and - THE FURRY ZONE. (his profile was like https://www.steampowered.com/community/TheFurryZone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AXE COP posted:

Someone mentioned Trouble in Terrorist Town earlier in this thread. After checking it out I've discovered it is, indeed, prime griefing ground.

Assisted Suicide in Terrorist Town

Pretty much everyone in TTT uses a microphone to yell out when they spot someone acting suspicious, or holding one of the traitor-only items such as a knife or C4. People always listened to the guys with microphones because having an angry dude shouting in your ear tends to get your attention quicker than reading the text at the bottom. Stopping to type normally got you murdered in short order in a variety of creative ways (unless you were the traitor yourself).

There was one particular player in the server I frequent named Feeble. Now, Feeble was a very angry Geordie, and an admin to boot, so rounds would frequently be punctuated with "WHUT THE FUK WAS THAT FOR, YOU BLEEDIN' human being" and various other expletives, peppered with bans. He was pretty great at being the traitor, but was a terrible Innocent, and ended up killing his own side nine times out of ten.

So after a few rounds of learning the ropes and griefing as AXE COP, I decided to screw with him. I change my steam name to "Me" and reconnect to the server. The scoreboard only displays avatars in a tiny size so no-one cottoned on that it was me. The next round starts and as luck would have it I get picked for traitor. After ordering up my traitor equipment (a playerbomb in this case, which can be attached to a dude to detonate later), I run around to try and find Feeble, who sure enough has already accidentally shot two Innocents. I walk up behind him and start to stick my playerbomb to him, but he finishes checking the bodies before I'm done and spins round, spotting me holding a big ol' beeping bomb. I finish sticking it to him and flee, dodging his pistol fire (I guess his shotgun was out of ammo).

So as I'm running from this guy, he starts screaming down the mic, and I discover he's daft enough that my namechange has worked.

:black101:: "YOU FUCKIN' human being! IT'S ME! KILL ME! KILL ME! THE TRAITOR IS ME!"

This counted as a confession, which under these server rules is deemed to be enough evidence to kill him. So they do.

Two innocents appear ahead, I duck around a corner and Feeble gets gunned down in a storm of bullets. By now, quite a large portion of the players are dead, and these are the last two non-traitors left, along with three traitors like me. The two innocents run over to check the body, to determine if he really was a traitor or not.

That's when I detonate the playerbomb, turning both players into a scorched crater on the ground, winning the rounds for the traitors, netting both the innocents I killed a ban from the seething admin and getting an award for the most explosive kills in a round. :c00lbert:

This was on a "LUElinks Militant Atheist Experience" right? I remember playing with you, that was hilarious.

Also, Industrial, your stories seem sort of reminiscent of Belan the Looter. Is that you? Because if so, you've inspired me to be a dick in games unlike anyone else.

• Locked thread