Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Gianthogweed posted:

Don't really grief much, but I guess this sort of counts.

I remember me and my cousins were playing Halo on xbconnect. I used to capture the flag in blood gulch and get close to our base to capture it, but I would purposely run extremely slowly into the base. My teammates would get very pissed as my character slow motion ran with the flag. They usually wound up killing me and capturing it themselves. Sometimes I would hide in a cave with the flag, and run very slowly back and forth with my cousin protecting me from teammates and enemies alike. The game would never end and people would get pissed off because the flag needed to be returned before a new capture could occur.

There was a similar grief in Unreal Tournament on the map CTF-Facing Worlds -- for anyone unfamiliar with it, two bases separated by a fairly lengthy and narrow asteroid you have to cross. At roughly the midway point, there was a spot you could fall off the asteroid and land on an invisible ledge, and you're out of sight from anyone on the asteroid or in either base. If you have the flag, this basically makes it so your team can't score at all. Would usually take them a few minutes to wise up to what was going on, since for all they knew you might be legitimately trying to make your way back and just having a slow go of it. After 5 minutes or so, your team would start to get agitated. After 10 minutes, much fury would ensue, especially if they were newish and didn't know about the invisible ledge. Even if they did, there wasn't much they could do about it on their own, they would be forced to collaborate with the enemy team and hope for their cooperation -- which they of course had no incentive to provide.

That map was the best for griefing, both your team and the other team. Hammer camping the top portal was another incredibly rage-inducing trick -- go to the top of the other team's tower and keep your Impact Hammer charged up while facing the portal and as close to it as possible. Anyone who would go through the portal would make the hammer fire, insta-gibbing him. There were ways to handle it, but you'd get a good 5-10 kills doing this.

Another classic grief was going into the config.ini and setting all your movement keys to simultaneously spam something into chat. I had all my movement keys set to say what they were, so chat was continuously flooded with:
Annoying Man: Now I am moving forward!
Annoying Man: Now I am switching to Rocket Launcher!
Annoying Man: Now I am firing weapon!
Annoying Man: Now I am jumping!
Annoying Man: Now I am moving forward!
etc.
Gotta keep in mind this was before voice chat, so the chat window was the only form of communication with your teammates. Any legit messages got spammed out of the window in moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I wanna play this poo poo.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chandlsd

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Industrial posted:

It's not.
(regarding UO)

The T2A shard is, and it's free:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3220904

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MageMage posted:

(regarding UO)

The T2A shard is, and it's free:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3220904

It also has virtually no playerbase at all. UO is only fun if there are people everywhere to harass. There should be a dozen newbies in the Minoc mine, people at both Trinsic banks, people in the wilderness, people in dungeons, and a horde of them at Britain west bank. Not five people idling around Britain bank like there is on the T2A shard.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Nevermind.

MageMage fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 2, 2010

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Damnit, I wanted to try out Trouble in Terrorist Town but apparently it requires Counter-Strike: Source models. :(

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're the detective, buy beacons and kill people if they destroy them. It slides through the admins, since you warned them about it, and people can't resist doing it.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
God that TTT stuff is fantastic. Do you need CS:S and GarrysMod to play?

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

KillRoy posted:

God that TTT stuff is fantastic. Do you need CS:S and GarrysMod to play?

Yeah, you can get em in a pack for 25$
Gmod itself is a great game that has a goon following too so once you get bored of TTT you can play gmod on any of the other hundreds of modes.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I cannot believe your still getting people in that machine.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/pleasegetout

I actually play TTT normally on Alters servers with some friends, but I'd still like to gently caress around with you guys sometime.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Ziploc posted:

I cannot believe your still getting people in that machine.

TANK TANK TANK TANK

SON OF A BITCH

Someone hook me up with HLSS so I can use the survivor voices in TTT

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Delamore
Add me for awesome TTT grief, I've done it the last two nights.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

AXE COP posted:

:black101:: "YOU FUCKIN' human being! IT'S ME! KILL ME! KILL ME! THE TRAITOR IS ME!"

You reenacted the Odyssey while playing Counter Strike: Source?

:sissies:

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008

Phuzzy posted:

TANK TANK TANK TANK

SON OF A BITCH

Someone hook me up with HLSS so I can use the survivor voices in TTT

Those particular rounds were very amusing.

What we did was we would all be communicating with eachother regardless of our actual team. Traitors know who eachother are, and if a goon got traitor then he'd get on a Steam overlay chat witht the rest of us and rat out his teammates. We would then inexplicably know the traitors and then kill them. Afterwards, leaving the goon traitor alive, we would then begin hurling accusations at random people, usually those who have spent the most time isolated (as usually only traitors spend lots of time by thereselves). The "game", as it were, was to kill as many people as possible without actually killing them yourself. Eventually sometimes we'd get down to all goons, one traitor and the rest innocent, and then we'd deathmatch. Sometimes though, one of the remaining goons will deliberately miss and do poorly and lose it for their team, such as when I attempted to knife a goon from across a room.

Another grief that emerged from this was picking on the complainers. Inveitably someone would get particularly butthurt over our shenanigans and will essentially call himself out by complaining a lot. Whenever that happened we would all start stalking and killing this one guy, regardless of team. Since nobody could catch on that five or six of us were working together, we would all chime in one after another and claim that the person we had just killed for no reason was 'rdming' (Random Death-Matching). We mostly could get off clear due to our combined voices; people trust it when another random person vouches for their innocence, regardless of how many team kills they each have had.

Delamore, tell them about the "machine".

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Ogianres posted:

Delamore, tell them about the "machine".
Two at a time
We were playing a map based on The Thing, complete with a machine to test if someone is the traitor or not (The alien) apparently to stop people going in two at a time the machine would kill both people if two entered.
So to save DNA tests, I had people go in two at a time, if you died you were sharing it with a traitor so tough luck!
I managed to kill off around 20 people or so just by getting them in there, over the roaring screams of people claiming you can't do two at a time. Clearly anyone who did not enter was a traitor and everyone should fire upon them.
They still haven't stopped me doing two at a time.

Delamore fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 2, 2010

trashcanman
May 17, 2006
honkey
Lineage 2

I thought this was an amazing game but the level grind, Chinese farmers, lack of updates, and certain mechanics caused most people to quit pretty soon after launch. Not me. I got the full experience and it was god damned amazing.

Scamming

Scamming was always fun in Lineage 2. You could set up player shops in Lineage 2 and you'd sit down, and a little sign would come over your head where you could write a little ad. "Buying Coal 5a" or "Selling Cloth 5a" whatever. Players could click you in shop mode, and it would be just like the interface of an NPC shop. The only problem was, with a "Buy" shop, there was no way to determine whether the shop owner actually had enough Adena on him to buy what he said he was buying.

So my friend and I did this: I'd set up a shop with a rare-sounding, but completely worthless item like a "Blue Diamond Gem" which was vendor trash and worth maybe 60a. I'd sell them for 3,000a in my shop. My friend would put up a buy-shop saying "Buying Blue Diamond Gems 10,000a!" a bit further down the road. People would pass by my shop, see his, and say, "wait a second, I could buy them from that last guy, and sell them to this guy, and make 7,000a!" So they'd run back and buy them from me. But when they tried to sell them to my friend, without enough cash to buy them, they'd be stuck with a 60a item they spent 3,000a on and we'd pocket the money.

PK-ing

Lineage 2 PvP mechanics were a bit complicated. There were three "colors" you could have: White, Purple, Red.

Without going into a long detailed description, basically, PVP was supposed to be consensual. Anyone could kill anyone at any time, but the colors represented whether it was a consensual fight or not. Killing a player that didn't fight back turned you Red (and lost them XP which at higher levels amounted to an hour or two of grinding to get back) but it also meant if someone killed you while Red you had a high chance to drop items (any items - some of which too months to obtain) and you couldn't enter town. Reds were walking loot-bags hunted by the entire zone. If you went Red, you had to find a quiet spot to kill monsters and XP slowly reduced your "Karma" until you reverted to White.

The clan I was in loved to PvP but no one would fight us consensually because we were so much better than them they knew they'd lose. This frustrated us. So, we took to slaughtering them anyway, going "Red" and then heading to the highest level cave in the game that only 2-3 clans were strong enough to reach (there was an agreement between these clans that we left Red players alone when back there).

Knowing that we had some of the best items in the game, free for the taking if only they could amass an army, reach the back of the cave and kill us, every time we went on a killing spree a bunch of weaker clans would ban together to try to get to us and get our items.

They couldn't. Every single time they tried the monsters would kill them. Many times they'd drop their own items in the process and we'd take them. So essentially, we had absolute immunity from the game mechanic that was suppose to keep us from just murdering them constantly. This made people very mad.

PK Toons

Later, when we'd leveled up alts a bit, we'd use a Rogue character that at high enough levels could do decent damage while naked with just a starting dagger to force clans to fight or die. We'd bring in the naked Rogue, and have him start stabbing the enemy's healer. If they let us do it, their healer would die, and the most they'd get from killing the Red PK character would be a worthless dagger. If they attacked the PK to save their healer, we could then freely kill whoever fought back. Then we'd res the PK character and do it again and again. Good fun.

The other fun thing to do was to put high level items on a low level character and goad people into attacking him once to see if he would be willing to fight back. Being so level however, that first attack would instantly kill him, causing them to go Red, and they could then be killed to steal their items.

Dagger DoTs

Rogues had an attack that did little damage, but put a "bleed" effect on a player that couldn't kill. It could only lower HP to 1. You could run up to a lower level player fighting a mob, attack him with the bleed, and his HP would start vanishing and the Monster would finish him off. There was nothing you could do about this. And a lot of the time when the Monster killed them they'd drop an item or two.

The great thing about this griefing in L2 was that every death, and every item lost represented literally hours of work. Many players ended up quitting the game after being griefed down entire levels (days/weeks of effort), or losing items that had taken them months to acquire.

I truly dream of the day a Lineage 2 like game will be created again, but at the same time, I know if it did no one would play it, because that level of grief, while great fun for the griefer, is absolutely devastating to casual players. But, a man can dream.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Delamore posted:

Two at a time
We were playing a map based on The Thing, complete with a machine to test if someone is the traitor or not (The alien) apparently to stop people going in two at a time the machine would kill both people if two entered.
So to save DNA tests, I had people go in two at a time, if you died you were sharing it with a traitor so tough luck!
I managed to kill off around 20 people or so just by getting them in there, over the roaring screams of people claiming you can't do two at a time. Clearly anyone who did not enter was a traitor and everyone should fire upon them.

I still haven't seen that map.

PROTECT THE PRESIDENT:

We had a goon join called smug president. We then decided to protect him and gently caress you if you got close, you're an assassin. We killed everyone in our path from the train station to the main square (some ten people) and started getting shot at with a sniper rifle. Panic ensued, and we lost many brave men in that occasion. We then went to a mansion where we'd hold the pool room against assassins threatening the president's life. The admins said we should play real TTT or code our own gamemode. I lost the original quote, but one of us said something to the tune of "This is a mansion in terrorist town, the president lives here and the people attacking him are trouble. THIS IS REAL TTT!"

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Greedish posted:

I still haven't seen that map.

PROTECT THE PRESIDENT:

We had a goon join called smug president. We then decided to protect him and gently caress you if you got close, you're an assassin. We killed everyone in our path from the train station to the main square (some ten people) and started getting shot at with a sniper rifle. Panic ensued, and we lost many brave men in that occasion. We then went to a mansion where we'd hold the pool room against assassins threatening the president's life. The admins said we should play real TTT or code our own gamemode. I lost the original quote, but one of us said something to the tune of "This is a mansion in terrorist town, the president lives here and the people attacking him are trouble. THIS IS REAL TTT!"

I need to re-get in on this poo poo, I've been working and haven't had time to unload some shells into some poor sod who was unlucky enough to be in the same room as me.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Greedish posted:

"This is a mansion in terrorist town, the president lives here and the people attacking him are trouble."

That was me. Didn't have THIS IS REAL TTT as part of it, but that was pretty much the idea.

The best part was that at the peak time we had about half the server gunning for us. Probably led by this annoying as hell 12 year old kid going HEY I HAVE A PRESENT FOR THE PRESIDENT. That got real annoying real fast, but it felt so good to kill him, or just say no. Too bad the president died every round :911:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Delamore posted:

Two at a time

I was there for that and it was great. I completely bought it the first couple of times that it happened, but it was hard not to catch on when it killed them 100% of the time.

Someone mentioned LeetGman before. I played a round with him where he'd keep building a little fort out of physics objects and threatening everyone that came near him. So I spent out about 5 minutes hopping around in circles in front of him. He finally got annoyed and shot me. Since I was obviously innocent (had killed two traitors that round) he was immediately killed by another innocent, who was immediately killed by the traitor. He tried to blame it all on me. He also had a big problem with ghosts possessing parts of his fort and trying to roll away.

When he finally got his turn as a traitor, I convinced everyone to kill him right away since not building a gay little fort was suspicious behavior for him.

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

Seems I do a good job of griefing people in battlefield heroes simply because I used real money to buy some things and then killed someone who didnt with said things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

trashcanman posted:

Lineage 2

I played in the beta for this and my favorite part was new player murder. When you spawned a huge box of text popped up that completely blocked your view of the screen. Since it was early in the beta, people kept spawning in the new player spot. So make a new character, close the windows, walk forward five feet, and wait. Every time a new player would spawn they would be too busy reading this giant text box that they wouldn't see you murder them before they even closed it. I might be misremembering but I'm pretty certain you got XP for this in the beta, because I don't think I killed anything but other low-level players in the starting zone and hit level 6 before I quit.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Delamore posted:

Yeah, you can get em in a pack for 25$
Gmod itself is a great game that has a goon following too so once you get bored of TTT you can play gmod on any of the other hundreds of modes.

Do you actually have to own CSS to play? I thought you just needed the Source SDK files.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Phoix posted:

Do you actually have to own CSS to play? I thought you just needed the Source SDK files.

Yeah, any game that grants you the Source SDK files will do, so basically anything by Valve on Source. The Orange Box is good for it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

AXE COP posted:

any game that grants you the Source SDK files will do

However, GMod 9 (the last free version) required both HL2 and CSS, so a lot of GMod content still uses CSS models and skyboxes, and anyone who played before it was sold on Steam already has CSS, which is quite a few people.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
*DEAD* (TEAM) Larry [Terrorist]: gz busta ur ganna get baned

gently caress yeah ttt

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's another one: A bunch of people were trying to get the UFO on the one The Thing map to work, and I wasn't aware of this, so I stabbed the innocent in the UFO and shotgunned the one on the roof, winning the round for the traitors. Cue endless crys of "BAN HIM BAN HIM", despite the fact that I played correctly.
TTT: The only game where you can be whined at for playing correctly.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Let me get in on that GITT.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Stuntman posted:

TTT: The only game where you can be whined at for playing correctly.

You don't spend much time in Games, do you.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pw pw pw posted:

You don't spend much time in Games, do you.

I more meant that they whined at me for doing what I was supposed to. They didn't whine about how I did it, they whined because I did it. Might also be wrong on that part, but I do only regularly read a few threads in Games.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

AXE COP posted:

Yeah, any game that grants you the Source SDK files will do, so basically anything by Valve on Source. The Orange Box is good for it.

I've already got the Orange Box but near as I can tell without CSS every map is a pink-and-black check textured hell inhabited by angry red ERROR signs. Is there any non :filez: way of getting the required textures without having to buy CSS?

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

warsow fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 26, 2012

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Delamore posted:

Two at a time

Delamore I love you let's talk about awesome fallout griefs we did

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
I just tried TTT and immediately was a terrorist. Throwing incendiary grenades around corners is untraceable and fun!

Invite to the group please: http://steamcommunity.com/id/thatwhichsqueaks

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Someone toss me an invite to the TTT group or whatever it is. I tried one round but since I don't own CSS I couldn't even tell what the map looked like.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bivens

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The goon group is almost getting too big now. I think we had like 10 goons and only 4 pubbies at one point.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

The goon group is almost getting too big now. I think we had like 10 goons and only 4 pubbies at one point.

Man. We need to split off or something. :(

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Phuzzy posted:

Man. We need to split off or something. :(

Yeah just split into two groups or so when there are so many goons, we did it tonight and it worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Delamore posted:

Yeah just split into two groups or so when there are so many goons, we did it tonight and it worked well.

gently caress the admin, no mods no masters

Ever have an admin yelling at you from his tiny little position of power, trying to wield his absolute authority over you for killing him while he was a traitor? Or innocent? Or a Detective? Really just killing him because he has an annoying voice? Perhaps if you were british, and had the uncanny ability to make everyone believe you, then you too can keep shittalking the mods during rounds!

Shoot them for no reason, without letting them talk, and enjoy the next 8 minutes in joyous bliss without having to listen to them lay out the reasons to have you banned! Or have one of your goon buddies knife him in the back! It's all good! It's all fine! Everything is permissible with Goon Brand Goku Zone products!

• Locked thread