Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Do you guys have food you eat/don't eat on the day of a game? For example I have hydration issues if i drink coffee at some point in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Uncle Jam posted:

Do you guys have food you eat/don't eat on the day of a game? For example I have hydration issues if i drink coffee at some point in the day.

I normally play 5's about 7 or 8pm. I usually have my lunch late, about 2 or 3pm and nothing too heavy. Then I just have my dinner later after I've played.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Uncle Jam posted:

Nope. I have a rather iron stomach, in fact I once had a Boost energy beverage on a hot day about 30 minutes before a game. I just try to drink a lot of water on game days to stay hydrated (I end up having to run to the toilet right before kickoff).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Uncle Jam posted:

Caffeine dehydrates you so yes, like alcohol it's probably best avoided before playing, but if you're drinking plenty of water beforehand as well you might get away with it. Remember though, if you get dehydrated some time before the match it will be a full day before you're properly rehydrated again so you won't be performing at 100% if you have several cups of coffee during the day and then drink a litre of water before you go out to football.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

I just try to eat some carb-y stuff like pasta about three hours before game time and avoid fatty stuff like cheese or ice cream. Obviously avoid fast food poo poo or deep-fried stuff (but chances are if you play regularly you probably already are). If I get hungry I snack on veggies or apples, but I avoid citrus because I read on some sports nutrition site somewhere that it'll actually dehydrate you. A girl on my team (who's a personal trainer) brings honey and melba toast for quick energy fixes.

Most important though is to start drinking water early so you don't end up drinking a bucketful right before kickoff and you're sloshing around like a water balloon. A decent rule of thumb is to drink at least a liter for every hour you expect to play, although proper hydration varies with everyone.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

I had 3 games this week.

Tuesday night we had the last 2 of the session, we auctally won the second game against a team that has rolled us in the past. I had the ball at my feet with a clear shot in the last 10-15 seconds of both games and could not get a shot on net to save my life. I was pretty beat after the second game and work the entire next day.

I never got a nap in after work and after watching the Sabres loose I had to head out for another game that was to start at 11:30pm. Of course they were running 20 minutes late... was a fun game, we won 4-1 and I scored 2 of the goals. By the time i got home and showered it was past 2am. Nothing like having to get up at 6:30 to be to work the next day. I am getting too old for this poo poo.

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!

Lazlow posted:

I just try to eat some carb-y stuff like pasta about three hours before game time and avoid fatty stuff like cheese or ice cream. Obviously avoid fast food poo poo or deep-fried stuff (but chances are if you play regularly you probably already are). If I get hungry I snack on veggies or apples, but I avoid citrus because I read on some sports nutrition site somewhere that it'll actually dehydrate you. A girl on my team (who's a personal trainer) brings honey and melba toast for quick energy fixes.

Most important though is to start drinking water early so you don't end up drinking a bucketful right before kickoff and you're sloshing around like a water balloon. A decent rule of thumb is to drink at least a liter for every hour you expect to play, although proper hydration varies with everyone.

Water is a good idea, 'carby' stuff isn't. It will weigh you down if you eat it on the day you play, especially 3 hours before. I usually just have a big gently caress off fruit salad in the morning then light lunch/snack before game.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
First game tomorrow since I was kicked off the team for next season. I'm going to do my best to make them regret it.

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!
Sir Charles, scoring 25 yard wonder goals.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Got my 5th game of 2010 coming up in 20 minutes. I have a hangover and I'm fairly tired so could see this one being a battle. If its 6 a side then I'll maybe loiter at centre-half and boot it away when it comes near me, if its 5s then I think I'll just stay in goals.

I think its the semi-decent crowd I'm playing with tonight as well. A few of them have got great pace and theres this one older lad from Liverpool who controls the game and always shouts "Time" and "Turn" in his funny scouse accent.

I hope my lack of energy and grit doesn't result in me being in a team that gets humped tonight. Yeah, pretty much hope I can coast this one. Trip report to follow.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

The good news today is we won 2-1 thanks to an 89th minute goal. Gotta love those. The bad news is we should've been ahead at least 6-1 at the half because the other team was down 3 men. :saddowns:

Bling Bling
Jun 9, 2001
Women are bitches since they won't fuck me.
Won 3-1 today and i played really well. Assisted on the 3rd goal, which killed the game.

As for eating before a match, i don't eat anything within 5 hours of a match. Probably overly cautious, but i've got a sensitive stomach and I've thrown up during a match before. Not fun.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

the posted:

I received this in my inbox this morning:

quote:

The - I wanted to talk to you in person, but I didn't get a chance before I sent out the invitations for the Summer Heat today.

I appreciate your loyalty to our team this season, and I consider you a friend, but in order to reduce the size of the roster I can't find a spot for you on the team after the Spring Season.

I really dislike this part of the 'job' and I've been on the receiving end a couple of times. I hope you continue playing in the league and look forward to seeing you out there on Saturday.

:smithicide:

E-mail from the same captain after last game (that I attended):

quote:

I thought we really had the majority of the possession and should've won that game.

We could've used another sub or two towards the end - we should be able to field more than 14 from a roster of 24.
Those of you who let me know you were out, this isn't directed at you, I'm disappointed that a couple of people just didn't show up.

:irony:

the fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 26, 2010

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well that was more fun than a game of 5 a side football should ever be. Especially since I was hungover, lacking in energy, unfit and playing for the first time in 6 weeks.

Team got pumped 14-11 like but still enjoyed myself. Made a great tackle from behind on a player much much faster than me and managed to score an impressive individual goal, storming from defence, skinning their best player, setting up a shot before tucking the parried save into the bottom left corner. Brazilia. Cue Alan Shearer style celebration, probably last one for a while.

Was really dire when I went in goals. Guess it doesn't help wearing spectacles but poo poo, its not an easy position to play. Made one save thats gave me a slight wrist-strain and I got a little cut on my knee but nothing to worry about. Also missed 3 glaring one-on-one chances with the goalkeeper. Proud with getting in the positions since I have no pace but dissapointed with the finishing.

Always fun.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

the posted:

:smithicide:

E-mail from the same captain after last game (that I attended):

:irony:
[/quote]

Ouch.

I'm not looking forward to this hockey summer league. Trying to get 12 friends together for a 6-a-side (9 man team 3-4 reserves) football is hard enough. Trying to get over 60 players together on different days is going to be impossible.

Also, my ankle is still sore after 2 weeks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Played for the 4th time in 6 days last night, and by "played" I mean "showed up, hobbled around a bit and occasionally kicked the ball". I think I overdid it on Monday night and my left knee was really loving sore. I probably shouldn't have bothered showing up, but it was our first week returning to kickabouts on grass and I was really looking forward to it. :smith:

I might need to take a week or two off just to rest up, I've picked up some niggling little injuries that have been cropping up in the last week or two and it's getting really annoying.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Messyass posted:

I just signed up for a team for next season after a 7 year break from football. The first training was last monday and now I can hardly lift my legs. Every single muscle hurts :(

Yay! Third training and I'm really getting there physically. Outmuscling guys and putting in poorly timed tackles like the old days...

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!
So after two months of soreness around my ankles and achilles, and the sudden onset of sharp pain in my left shoulder, I decided to see a physio.

Holy crap, they are good at making muscles hurt like hell. Pretty sure she made my eyes water a few times, digging hands and fingers into tight knots in my muscles :(

But strangely I already feel better and have a few exercises to try, which will hopefully get my legs back into shape (turns out I have slight bilateral calf strain and a shoulder impingement).

Here's hoping I don't make anything worse by playing this weekend!

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, finally I'm actually getting a few chances to play some football. The crew I had a game with last Sunday are a man short again tonight so I'm stepping up again. I'm in far better condition this week being neither hungover nor sleep deprived. Game is in 4 hours so I'm having a nice pasta meal while watching the Man U v Sunderland game. I plan on having a 50 pence bag of sweets ten minutes before kickoff.

You see the Chinese take-away across the road from me was recently taken over by new people, probably because it got used as the stake in a game of Poker,and the new owners have done it up quite nicely. They now sell pickled eggs, fantastic, and bags of penny mixes in 10, 20 and 50p increments. You get some sugary lace, various penny chews, a maom chewy bar and best of all one of those 10p chocolate Freddys you see in newsagents. Except they cost 17p now. Nice little boost for the football tonight.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Stuff about eating

Both of those eating options are absolutely horrendous. Pasta isnt good the day of a game because by the time the carbs are broken down your game is well over.

Also anything with alot of sugar is a poor decision as well. At a rate of high exercise your body will break the sugar down incredibly quickly and then you will burn out quite a bit.

PhillyLucky fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 2, 2010

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Also any time I have tried to use candy or gum I get a bunch more phlegm in my throat and have to spit it out. Really you're better off keeping a good diet up all week.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Chivas Aribas! posted:

Also any time I have tried to use candy or gum I get a bunch more phlegm in my throat and have to spit it out. Really you're better off keeping a good diet up all week.

I always chew gum when I play but it's sugarfree which might make a difference.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Decent enough game last night. Team was losing 7-2 until I switched sides to try and liven things up with the only result that my second team ended up winning 12-2. No goals last night but had 2 very good chances. One half-volley from jut outside the middle of the box and another where I busted a gut to run the length of the pitch, control a rebounded save and lash a shot into the bottom right corner. Foiled by their keeper both times.

Felt I played well, did a lot more running about than I ever have in a game of 5's and despite this I don't have the usual leg pains this morning. Got 2 brilliant defensive blocks in. Wasn't creative with the ball though and made a bit of a gently caress-up gifting a goal to the other team in the first half. Trying to dribble round strikers when you are just outside your box has the potential to make you look stupid. Was getting a bit bored of sweeping up the danger and twatting loose balls to my keeper for him to mop up though so i'm allowed one grave misjudgement.

Took a bit of a knock the shoulder which at first felt like nothing but has now started to hurt quite a bit particularly when I try to pick-up anything or move my arm into un-natural positions. Might jepardise my chance to play a game for an old friend 40 miles away tomorrow night. I've booked the afternoon off work though so I can rest and hopefully recover.

Theres this guy who plays most Sunday nights called Chick. Now most of us are in our early 20's, I'm guessing Chick is pushing 40. He's also pretty big built. You wouldn't outright call him fat but this motherfucker ain't skinny. I swear to god he is the best player on the pitch. In goals he is just ridiculous. He is by far the best goalkeeper I've played against in 5s/6s and he makes an art out of getting down low and making himself a huge target. It was him that saved my half-volley which i'm certain every other player would have missed. He also has a rocket of a shot and its not always perfectly on target but impressively he never boots it too high. Which isn't easy when you play in 4 foot high goals. Hope I'm on his team next week.

And too all the naysayers who disagree with my pasta/sugar pre-match meal, then get it right up you. I've never felt more awake with energy on a football pitch, even when I've had my 5 a day and plenty water. Ok I'm not saying its a professional diet but it works wonders for standing at centre-half and chasing down anyone that crosses your path.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 3, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Scored four and had two assists in a 7-1 Futsal victory on Sunday. Might have had a couple more but I sprayed a couple of decent chances wide on the turn when I had more time than I thought and was denied by the keeper a couple of times. I do like teams who let me take the ball down with my back to goal.

Got a cold so I'm not going to play tonight which will definitely make me sick but hopefully should be right for tomorrow night. Playing in both weekday leagues, where the standard is much higher has made a big difference to my game. Feeling much more confident on the ball than I ever have.

Just wish all the no shows would stop me having to shift my position around all the time. Forward, defense and keeper. I do em all.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Played my first game of 7 a side tonight. It was completely disorganised and we had no natural defenders, so when we were losing 4-1 with less than 10 minutes to go I wasn't too surprised. Still felt bad scoring an own goal though. :(

On the plus side, I scored the winning penalty in the bonus point shootout at the end of the match, so that's not so bad. :smug:

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

bonus point shoot out?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Never seen it before but there's a penalty shootout at the end of each match and the winner gets 1 point. So we played terribly and lost the match but thanks to our keeper being awesome we're still off the mark in the league.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Shoulders kinda sore but I'm just gonna say gently caress it. Half the pain I'll remove with mindpower, the other half with paracetamol.

Only guy I know in this game is my mate from Uni who can score but is probably unfit from several years not footballing. He plays as a striker, I play defense so if he is on the opposite team I'll mark him out of the game and if he is on my team he'll be a good outlet for my passes.

Apparently sweets and pasta are a bad choice for the pre match meal so I'm going to do some further experiments. Tonight I shall have a pre-match Nutri-Grain and see how that effects my performance.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Think I need to see a physiotherapist, my left hip and knee have been hurting for the last two weeks, especially walking in stairs have been a bitch. It sorta "goes away" when I get warm and start running or something before it comes back with a vengeance after 30-40 minutes of football or so. It might go away on its own, but I think I need to get it checked out.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good game tonight. More enjoyable than most of my local games. I think this might also become a regular thing so it looks like I'm going to be back to 2 games a week. loving glorious.

Scored 4 goals tonight. Hit tons of long-range passes which were clinical. I'm a right wee Jody Morris. Then again one guy didn't show up so we were playing 5-4. That and its difficult to judge when you are playing with all unfamiliar players.

Still I enjoyed myself. Don't think I ran about enough but it was kind of difficult what with there being an extra man on our team. Apparently one of the lads on my team had a trial with Rangers. Seemed one of the better players. I knew after about 10 minutes that I could pelt a long pass at him and if he had time he'd bring it down and get going.

Saw so much more of the ball than I'm used to and it was awesome. Took far too many long shots but the space was there, 2 of my goals were a bit flukey to be honest. One was a slight deflection and the other nutmegged the goal-keeper but its the first time I've scored 4 goals in a game of 5's.

And the Nutri-Grain worked wonders.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Every year when the Melbourne comedy festival is on, David O'Doherty plays a game or two at our centre. He's really good, last time he was here he scored four goals and set up all the others in an 8-3 win.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Every year when the Melbourne comedy festival is on, David O'Doherty plays a game or two at our centre. He's really good, last time he was here he scored four goals and set up all the others in an 8-3 win.

Should have just hacked the bone.

Where do you play again? It's Albert Park isnt it? Never venture over to the Victoria street courts in Brunswick?

Went to buy new shin guards today, they only had kids sizes. Wouldnt be a big deal if the only pair I own these days had'nt split in half on the weekend. Anyone got any recommendations? I'll probably just get some shiney nike ones or something. I know some people like the smallest possible shin guards for indoor but I prefer the big old ones with ankle protectors.

Spent too much time accidentally slide tackling the goal post as a youth to forgot how much copping something hard in the shin hurts.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

Where do you play again? It's Albert Park isnt it? Never venture over to the Victoria street courts in Brunswick?
Nah, my mate's family own an inline hockey rink in Reservoir (out behind Northland), and I play there. Not sure how I'd go at other centres, all the courts I've seen are way too small.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Nah, my mate's family own an inline hockey rink in Reservoir (out behind Northland), and I play there. Not sure how I'd go at other centres, all the courts I've seen are way too small.

Yeah it certainly can be pretty small. Sundays and Wednesdays i play 5's on a basketball court. Tuesdays is on a purpose built stadium which is bigger. Probably a couple of meters wider and five longer.

I think it's meant to promote skills and close control, I find often it means that guys just bash into you when you're on the ball because you've got nowhere to go.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

euroboy posted:

Think I need to see a physiotherapist, my left hip and knee have been hurting for the last two weeks, especially walking in stairs have been a bitch. It sorta "goes away" when I get warm and start running or something before it comes back with a vengeance after 30-40 minutes of football or so. It might go away on its own, but I think I need to get it checked out.

Probably not a bad idea. If you've got health insurance it's probably not too expensive*??

*Really i have no idea how these things work outside of Australia but i had a 45min session last week and it cost me $15AU after my private health rebate.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

unicron posted:

Probably not a bad idea. If you've got health insurance it's probably not too expensive*??

*Really i have no idea how these things work outside of Australia but i had a 45min session last week and it cost me $15AU after my private health rebate.

It's free over here :)

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

Yeah it certainly can be pretty small. Sundays and Wednesdays i play 5's on a basketball court. Tuesdays is on a purpose built stadium which is bigger. Probably a couple of meters wider and five longer.

I think it's meant to promote skills and close control, I find often it means that guys just bash into you when you're on the ball because you've got nowhere to go.
Where is the purpose built stadium?

We won 3-2 tonight. We were 2-0 up with 2 minutes to play, then an own goal went in off one of our guys, then a calamitous mix up between me and and our other defender led to us conceding directly from our own kick off. Then we scored directly from that kick off. By the time the other team kicked off again, there was still 1.10 left on the clock. Three goals in fifty seconds.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

euroboy posted:

It's free over here :)

then you have no excuse for not going to see someone :)

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Shmoses posted:

Where is the purpose built stadium?

We won 3-2 tonight. We were 2-0 up with 2 minutes to play, then an own goal went in off one of our guys, then a calamitous mix up between me and and our other defender led to us conceding directly from our own kick off. Then we scored directly from that kick off. By the time the other team kicked off again, there was still 1.10 left on the clock. Three goals in fifty seconds.

Brunswick, on Victoria street. it's a good stadium though the competition is taken really seriously. we're in division B somewhere in the middle. I like the surface, it's pretty similar to rebound ace that they stick on tennis courts, although it's a loving nightmare to keep on as any time you slide it shreds your skin like sandpaper.

i dunno what level you're at, probably above mine though.

we won 5-4 tonight, probably should have won about 10-2 though. They somehow managed to get up 3-nil after about 5 minutes from one well taken goal and two massive deflections past me. Came out of goals late in the half, got two, set up another to get us back in the game and then went back into goal to lock it out.

Felt pretty good, though I'm coming off a cold and it was by no way my best performance in goal. I think being laid up the last couple of days has sapped nearly all off of the little lateral movement I have. I've never been great at getting down but today it felt like my hip joints were fused.

Any tips? I think I've got the positioning right and when to come out but i always feel like I'm a bit too upright. I'm not sure how or what to spread out and mostly just horizontal knee slide at someone, often end up wearing the ball in the face.

hughsieblingwish fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

There's good technique guidelines for most things a keeper does (dive forwards rather than backwards, always get your body behind the ball when possible etc) but beyond positioning for one on ones the actual techniqie varies from keeper to keeper. Schmeichel for instance used to keep his legs quite wide apart and then sat down if the striker hit it low to avoid being nutmegged.

Honestly the striker is always favourite 1v1 so as long as you don't make it easy for him you'll get more from focusing on the rest of your game. It's a lot easier to learn to judge when to rush out than it is for an amateur striker to develop a perfect first touch that puts him through without letting it get too far away from himself, so by working on that you can avoid having to make many 1v1 saves altogther.