Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Is a Buell xb9sx a good starter bike?

My brother is kind of impulsive and traded for one without having ever really ridden before. Is he going to die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wouldn't call it a good starter bike, it's making around 80rwhp, but it's better than your typical 6.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Watommi posted:

Is a Buell xb9sx a good starter bike?

My brother is kind of impulsive and traded for one without having ever really ridden before. Is he going to die?

quote:

Peak Torque per SAE J607, North America 70 ft-lb (95 Nm)
Peak Horsepower per SAE J607, North America 92 hp (69 kW)

:ughh:

Cycle World says that it's not as twitchy as similar Japanese or Italian bikes, but that's still too much for a newb.

Is he taking the MSF? Has he ridden anything before (like dirt)? Is he a gigantic squid? Is he prone to stupid impulsiveness (already answered).

I'm sure it's not an instant death sentence, but anything you can do to talk some sense into him before he "has to lay it down" and ends up in the hospital will improve his chances.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1728020044.html
* Ask for pics of the front end. Looks scary.
* Interested as a bike for Jendywo and I to tear down (she wants to learn motorcycle mechanics), and we have two decentish daily riders. Perhaps a bike to flip, too, for that price.

Thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The thing about cheap bikes is you have to compensate for all of the consumables. Tires, a chain/sprockets, oil, filter, brake pads/fluid, and some other odds and ends and you can easily dump 400+$ into a 500$ bike just to get it rideable. When it comes to cheap bikes, those are the things that I'm looking at.

But as a fixer, it'd be fine. You might be able to flip it for a hundred profit after 200 hours of working on it. ;) I'd go look at it and lowball him.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

quote:

Peak Torque per SAE J607, North America 70 ft-lb (95 Nm)
Peak Horsepower per SAE J607, North America 92 hp (69 kW)

Nah it's cool cause the belt breaks when it hits 60hp.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Jabs posted:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1728020044.html
* Ask for pics of the front end. Looks scary.
* Interested as a bike for Jendywo and I to tear down (she wants to learn motorcycle mechanics), and we have two decentish daily riders. Perhaps a bike to flip, too, for that price.

Thoughts?

No title means no sale to me, unless it's a track bike.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

The only thing about those bikes is that they need the valves adjusted pretty regularly (every 4k) or they'll burn valves. If it hasn't been done, I'd adjust the price accordingly.

Amazingly, they'll still run fairly decent with burned valves, they'll just idle a little funny. :v:

I've out like 3.5k miles on mine since i've owned it, I should probably have mine checked? It has been idling funny |:^|a, i'm kind of scared to do it myself, wonder how much it'd run to have it done for me.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Weinertron posted:

Other big question: Where are gas prices where you live? When gas is under $2.50/gal, the money you save on gas is really pretty small compared to a car. As gas starts costing more, motorcycles start being cheaper to own comparatively.

Where I am, it's £1.20 a liter (3.78l / US gallon), so that's about £4.54, or what, US$7 a gallon?

My 20 mile town and backroad commute on the bike today was 24 minutes or so. In the car at the same time of day, even thrashing the gently caress out of it in the twisty bits (and getting 25 mpg for my trouble), it's more like 40 minutes. Plus the car doesn't wheelie over every crest... :devil:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

frozenphil posted:

Absolutely agree. At best it'll be a bitch and a half to get it retitled. At worst, it's stolen. Walk.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Goddamn, how did I miss that. :saddowns:

I'd say no title is a dealbreaker for me, excepting certain conditions...ie, the owner has just lost the pink slip and will do the transfer at the DMV. In CA, you can file a lost title and a transfer at the same time. So you go down to the DMV with the seller, fill out some paperwork, and you become the new registered owner. Obviously, they'll double check that he is the real registered owner, so it's all legit.

infraboy posted:

I've out like 3.5k miles on mine since i've owned it, I should probably have mine checked? It has been idling funny |:^|a, i'm kind of scared to do it myself, wonder how much it'd run to have it done for me.

It's really easy to do. Pop off the valve cover/timing cover, rotate engine to TDC, check clearances, and adjust to spec. Do you have a service manual? Read through the procedure and see what you think.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

I'd say no title is a dealbreaker for me, excepting certain conditions...ie, the owner has just lost the pink slip and will do the transfer at the DMV. In CA, you can file a lost title and a transfer at the same time. So you go down to the DMV with the seller, fill out some paperwork, and you become the new registered owner. Obviously, they'll double check that he is the real registered owner, so it's all legit.

I bought a bike (in Michigan) that they guy had lost the title for and was applying for a replacement. I called the Secretary of State (DMV for MI), explained that I wanted to buy the bike and asked them if what they had on record was the same as what he was claiming. They wouldn't tell me what was on record, but when I gave them the info they said "Sounds about right."

He found his the next day. :haw:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

That's more or less what I was thinking. Duplicate title is $8.20 in Colorado. I don't know how the DMV would be with a "chain of custody" paper trail where the title not in the seller's name, but the seller has a signed bill (or bills, I suppose it could be) of sale leading back to the person on the title.

On the flip side, since a duplicate title is under $10, I don't know why any seller wouldn't take the time to go get one...unless...they never registered it, and they might be on the hook for the use tax? I dunno how that works.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
If I were to go look at this bike, what kind of tests (:science: ) could I perform to see whether or not it's a basket case? All I could think of was to check the battery and see if the engine will turn over by hand.

craigslist posting posted:

Have invested over $1000 into this bike since 08. Has had the gas tank recoated, carbs cleaned. I am no mechanic so Im not sure exactly what the problem is, but it will not turn over. Just replaced the battery about a year ago so I dont think thats it, maybe bad solonoid. Anybody with mechanical know-how, this is the bike for you, last time I cranked it the motor ran great. Also rough cosmetics, craked fairings and mirrors. make me an offer.

It's a ninja 500, same generation as mine. I was just going to take all of the pretty parts off of it and then flip it for super cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd offer 500$ and go from there.

Could be a bad solenoid as he mentions, you can get around that by jumping the starter solenoid terminals with a rubber handled screwdriver. Check the battery with a multimeter and see if it's putting out at least 12.6v, if it's not it needs to be charged.

I'd bring jumper cables and see if I could get it to turn over.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
He's only asking $400 :buddy:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

He's only asking $400 :buddy:

Winner, offer 300$. :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'm afraid I'm gonna get it started and he's gonna go OH WOOPS I MEANT $1400.

Then I'll punch him in the nuts.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

AncientTV posted:

I'm afraid I'm gonna get it started and he's gonna go OH WOOPS I MEANT $1400.

Then I'll punch him in the nuts.
Shoot, offer $300, wait to see if it starts until you get home.
If it starts, commence mad cackling, whoops, and hollas.
If not, commence parting out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're not even going to try and get it to start, offer 200$!!!

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Ask him to pay you for taking it off his hands!!!!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Lowball the poo poo out of him

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I haven't bought poo poo off Craigslist much, but I've noticed most of the postings say something like "price is firm, please don't try to lowball me." Are people really serious when they say something like that, or is that code for "I'm hoping some rube is now more likely to take it at asking, but I'll still give it to you for a little less if you insist."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > Lowball the poo poo out of him

This generally seems to be the best option when buying things.

SlightlyMadman posted:

I haven't bought poo poo off Craigslist much, but I've noticed most of the postings say something like "price is firm, please don't try to lowball me." Are people really serious when they say something like that, or is that code for "I'm hoping some rube is now more likely to take it at asking, but I'll still give it to you for a little less if you insist."

Depends from seller to seller. Most will waver if you've got cash in hand, especially if they've been dealing with retards for the last 2 months.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Z3n posted:

Depends from seller to seller. Most will waver if you've got cash in hand, especially if they've been dealing with retards for the last 2 months.

I find most people are willing to lower the price if you can string two sentences together in a comprehensible way, even before you meet to check things out. It seriously gets depressing to sell something on CL between the sheer loving idiots and the vast number of flakes. If you have a normal conversation and show up on time you're pretty well set for lowballing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kind of on topic, but not really. Sold my car on craigslist last month, said I was FIRM FIRM FIRM on price, ended up letting it go for $500 less than I wanted because I was tired of dealing with the lowballing/flaky scum of the internet.

Typik
May 8, 2010
I'm actually new to motorcycles. Looking to buy a sport bike but don't have the money to "Start" at 250 and slowly upgrade as I get better, but like most I also don't want some super fast death machine.

So I was looking at Ninja 500s, and Ninja 650s, but thats only because thats really the only bikes I know anything about. I was hoping to get some extra suggestions/info on other bikes.

I plan on riding very frequently, and when I can, take long distance trips (By that I mean from dallas to hot springs Arkansas, at best, really.)

I want something that will last me for a good lot of miles, and is very dependable. I don't necessarily have the cash to spend on a touring bike, in fact, I'm still saving for my first SPORT bike, which is alright as I'll have the money to buy one soon enough, but I need more suggestions on what bikes I could look at, as a starter bike, but not SUPER low on power, and able to go a good distance, sort of frequently.
thanks in advance for any help

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Typik posted:

I'm actually new to motorcycles. Looking to buy a sport bike but don't have the money to "Start" at 250 and slowly upgrade as I get better, but like most I also don't want some super fast death machine.

So I was looking at Ninja 500s, and Ninja 650s, but thats only because thats really the only bikes I know anything about. I was hoping to get some extra suggestions/info on other bikes.

I plan on riding very frequently, and when I can, take long distance trips (By that I mean from dallas to hot springs Arkansas, at best, really.)

I want something that will last me for a good lot of miles, and is very dependable. I don't necessarily have the cash to spend on a touring bike, in fact, I'm still saving for my first SPORT bike, which is alright as I'll have the money to buy one soon enough, but I need more suggestions on what bikes I could look at, as a starter bike, but not SUPER low on power, and able to go a good distance, sort of frequently.
thanks in advance for any help

Of course you have the money to start on a smaller bike and upgrade, silly. Here's how it works. Take MSF class, get license and appropriate gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and pants). Buy Ninja 250 or some other less-powerful bike on Craigslist for around $1500. After a year of riding, flip the 250 for....$1500 and buy a better bike. IT'S MAGIC

Also, I wouldn't classify Ninja 500s or Ninja 650Rs as "sportbikes," since the seating position is so upright and they're not exactly made for racing. That said, Ninja 500s or Ninja 650Rs make acceptable beginner bikes if you're mature enough to handle the power. Other good ones to look at (if you're on a budget) are older UJMs from the '80s. Another bike that's comparable to the Ninja 650R (and a forum favorite) is the SV650, which is also a twin cylinder boasting around 60 something horsepower, right at the upper limit for a noob.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 8, 2010

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you budgeted for training and gear, as well?

At any rate, there's the Ninja 500 and 650. The 500 is good for beginners, the 650 on the high end. Suzuki has the GS500, SV650 and if you can find one used, the Gladius (which is the replacement for the naked SV650). The Gladius and SV are similar to the Ninja 650 in terms of power and such. The GS500 is a bit weaker.

Typik
May 8, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Have you budgeted for training and gear, as well?

At any rate, there's the Ninja 500 and 650. The 500 is good for beginners, the 650 on the high end. Suzuki has the GS500, SV650 and if you can find one used, the Gladius (which is the replacement for the naked SV650). The Gladius and SV are similar to the Ninja 650 in terms of power and such. The GS500 is a bit weaker.

From what you've suggested, are any of these bikes really more preferable to the others? Any BIG key differences?

I have budgeted for training, and gear as well. If you want, I can post my budgeting plan,

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

For a beginner, no, there's no big difference between the bikes. They will all feel fast to you, they will all do pretty much anything you need them to, and they will all be quite a bit faster than you are as a rider for a couple years at least.

Typik
May 8, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

For a beginner, no, there's no big difference between the bikes. They will all feel fast to you, they will all do pretty much anything you need them to, and they will all be quite a bit faster than you are as a rider for a couple years at least.

I checked out the SV650 like you suggested. Looks nice. I'm looking at one right now for 2500$ with 20,600 miles on it. Too much, you think? Or no?

Any reason other than the power this is the forum favorite? (I'm sorry about all the questions, I am completely new to motorcycles)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For a beginner, I would say one of the 500s over the 650s. They're all going to seem crazy fast to you (and, really, they are when you consider an SV650's straight line performance is nearly identical to a Porsche 911 Turbo), and they'll all be perfectly reliable. The 500s will be a bit cheaper, too.

What year SV650? That would be good for a second gen (2003+), but probably a little too much for a first gen (1999-2002).

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Depending on the year, you should be able to talk the seller down to $2,000 or maybe $1,800 if it needs some stuff. When buying a bike, try to have a friend that knows his poo poo or at least read this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Common stuff that needs replacing on used bikes:
-Tires
-Brake fluid
-Oil and oil filter
-Chain and sprockets
-Brake pads
-Battery

If those items check out, you can confidently pay $2,000 or so for the bike and know you got a reliable machine. If some of those things need replacing, reduce asking price accordingly.

Typik
May 8, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

For a beginner, I would say one of the 500s over the 650s. They're all going to seem crazy fast to you (and, really, they are when you consider an SV650's straight line performance is nearly identical to a Porsche 911 Turbo), and they'll all be perfectly reliable. The 500s will be a bit cheaper, too.

What year SV650? That would be good for a second gen (2003+), but probably a little too much for a first gen (1999-2002).
It's a 2005. Here's the ad.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/1693999061.html
What do you think?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Well, it's been down and it has gay underbody LEDs but if there's no other crash damage and the consumables listed above look good, I'd say somewhere in the range of 2,500 is a good price. And by the way, that's the SV650 "S" version which has lower bars and more rearset pegs for a sporty riding position. The standard SV650 is a bit more upright and with no fairing, but there's no big difference between the two, it's up to preference.

Typik
May 8, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Well, it's been down and it has gay underbody LEDs but if there's no other crash damage and the consumables listed above look good, I'd say somewhere in the range of 2,500 is a good price. And by the way, that's the SV650 "S" version which has lower bars and more rearset pegs for a sporty riding position. The standard SV650 is a bit more upright and with no fairing, but there's no big difference between the two, it's up to preference.

I'll have to sit on both models and see which one really feels comfortable to me then. I plan on riding alot so I do want some comfort. Also yeah. I checked out that buying guide you posted quite a while back. Seems useful, are there any other suggestions you'd give when checking out the bike? Other things not listed in the guide to look for?

Also, the ad says there are a "Few cracks in the tail section"
Something I should be worried about, you think?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It is probably not a big deal. Any drop, even a stationary one in a driveway, could result in cracking plastic fairings. He doesn't say how the drop occurred so it was probably while moving (be cynical when it comes to Craigslist :( ) but if there's nothing else bent such as pedals, handlebars, and if you look down the length of the bike and everything appears straight, you're good to go. You can even ask him to ride it and have him take his hands off the bars to see if it rides straight.

For the chain, just push up on the middle of the bottom length of it - it should move about an inch upwards. Make sure there's not any rust on it. Tires, observe for any cracks or if it looks extremely squared off or worn down. Treads should be a decent depth. Squeeze the brake lever - it should firmly resist after a bit of travel. If it goes all the way to the handlebar it needs new fluid. Twist the throttle and ensure that is travels smoothly and firmly snaps back to neutral. Sit on the bike and push down on the front and sit heavily on the rear to see how the shocks react. I think that's everything, phew.

Oh, insist that the bike be cold when you look at it so you can see it start cold. A lot of problems go away once a bike is warm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a piece of cosmetic plastic, but is evidence of a crash. It's probably better since you won't feel as bad when you crash it (you will).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Typik posted:

I'll have to sit on both models and see which one really feels comfortable to me then. I plan on riding alot so I do want some comfort. Also yeah. I checked out that buying guide you posted quite a while back. Seems useful, are there any other suggestions you'd give when checking out the bike? Other things not listed in the guide to look for?

Also, the ad says there are a "Few cracks in the tail section"
Something I should be worried about, you think?

Holy crap that is a great deal on a 2nd gen SV650, then again i'm in CA and it's rare to see one of those for less than 3500. The tail thing is likely cosmetic and if you can live with it, it's no big deal.

Unless you're a big idiot with no self control an SV650 should be a fine beginner bike. Also it's a fuel injected model, so starting cold or warm should be a snap.