Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

BillyRubin posted:

Edit: How do I play this TTT exactly? I don't have Garry's Mod, but I do have HL2. Do I need to get GM to play TTT?

You need Garry's Mod and Counter-Strike: Source, I think. There's a bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'm a little curious about what I need to play TTT as well. I have the orange box, but not Garry's Mod. Do I JUST need Garry's Mod, or will I need to download CS:S and Garry's Mod. This just looks like too much fun not to play. Not even from a griefing standpoint, the game looks like it could be a blast.

E: Well I think that answers it, thanks Ninja.

So this

Or if you have CS:s:
this .

Actually now I'm still confused, this is from their website:

Steam posted:

Notice: This game requires that you own a Source engine game such as Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, or Day of Defeat: Source. Click here for a full list of games that meet this requirement. Please note that Portal: First Slice and the bundled Half-Life 2: Deathmatch do not fulfill this requirement.

So this is just saying that Garry's Mod requires you own a source engine game right? TTT actually requires it to be CS:S? Or will Team Fortress 2 work as that's on the list of games.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 5, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

BillyRubin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong: Mash killed the traitor for killing his buddy, but didn't know he was a traitor. RDMing means random death matching, or killing someone without a reason (evidence, witnessing a murder, etc.) Now, it just so happened this person was an Admin! Therefore: BAN!

This is really bugging me. It takes all the subtlety out of the game. This should be about survival, and there's nothing wrong with taking out the shiftiest guy if you think you can get away with it.

I think the main problem is most people see it as traitors vs innocents, while I see it as traitors vs me vs you vs that guy vs that other guy.

I had a guy on a server 2 days a go (named "__chance" I think) who wouldn't shut up about what was a RDM.
You kill someone who's aiming at you and trying to stay behind you: RDM
You see a guy do something suspicious like hiding a body and kill him: RDM
There's only two people left and you decide to just kill them both: RDM
You find a body that was killed with a shot gun 20 seconds ago and another person is standing over it with half health holding a shotgun: You might get away with killing him but he better be a traitor in the end.

It basically came down to, only being allowed to kill someone if they tried to kill you first. guess how much fun that is.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man, TTT sounds a lot like an extremely pared-down, FPS version of SS13 (sure wish I had the time to play that these days... maybe after I graduate).

Hey SS13 goons, you guys should totally try to mod TTT into SS13. Sounds like a decent amount of groundwork's already been laid :)

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I'm a little curious about what I need to play TTT as well. I have the orange box, but not Garry's Mod. Do I JUST need Garry's Mod, or will I need to download CS:S and Garry's Mod. This just looks like too much fun not to play. Not even from a griefing standpoint, the game looks like it could be a blast.

E: Well I think that answers it, thanks Ninja.

So this

Or if you have CS:s:
this .

Actually now I'm still confused, this is from their website:

So this is just saying that Garry's Mod requires you own a source engine game right? TTT actually requires it to be CS:S? Or will Team Fortress 2 work as that's on the list of games.

I think how it works is that Garry's Mod itself works with any source engine game. TTT however, uses CS:S models, so in order to play it you need that game too. If you only have TF2, you can only see TF2 models in it.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

ponzicar posted:

I think how it works is that Garry's Mod itself works with any source engine game. TTT however, uses CS:S models, so in order to play it you need that game too. If you only have TF2, you can only see TF2 models in it.

This is correct, Gmod is a tool to play with any of the source engine games and the engine itself.
If you've bought gmod just for TTT you REALLY should try the goon gmod server.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3200361&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

You can build awesome things in gmod with goons.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

That said, more TTT stuff please!

Only if they are griefs. Someone open up a TTT general thread. It's not that hard.

MageMage fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 5, 2010

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The sheer paranoia in this game is incredible to play off, especially combined with the absolute proof of anything you've said when your body turns up innocent.

My absolute favourite thing to do is throw a grenade at a group and accuse someone else of it. Even better if someone else again sees you do it and kills you; they'll get shot for killing an innocent, the guy you accused gets killed, and the grenade hits half of the survivors. I did this on the LUE server and the ensuing clusterfuck of accusations and shooting those who'd killed an innocent saw me, four innocents and one unlucky traitor shot. Heh.

If you don't have any grenades, pick up a shotgun and aim it at someone's face until they break and kill you. They lose karma (less damage done next round) and get murdered for killing an innocent. I like making the same player repeatedly kill me, especially in front of detectives.

Today's best quotes (I haven't recorded voicechat :():

quote:

*DEAD* (TEAM) (PP)-P4inKill3r: he prop killed me
*DEAD* (TEAM) SabbathFreak911-KingProp: so?
*DEAD* (TEAM) SabbathFreak911-KingProp: he was a traitor
*DEAD* (TEAM) (PP)-P4inKill3r: i dont care
*DEAD* (TEAM) (PP)-P4inKill3r: prop kill is bannable

Player: DJRamshackle Was Banned by Hacking
Player DJRamshackle left the game (Disconnect by user.)
(PP)-P4inKill3r: HAX

*DEAD* (TEAM) alex_virtopeanu: SUPREMECOURT IS MINGE , RDMER , NOOB , FUCKER !

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
So hypothetically I could play it without having CS:Source, but it would look different.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

So hypothetically I could play it without having CS:Source, but it would look different.

No. The mod will call up CS:S's models by their names, filesizes, etc. All you'll get is a nice pretty error message without CS:S.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

You can, but it's terrible. Nearly everything will be a giant ERROR model or a black and purple checker-board texture.

edit: it does have some advantages though. you can see through a lot of walls since they're just wire-frames, and player models use that checker-board texture so you can easily see them in total darkness.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 5, 2010

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

The Supreme Court posted:

The sheer paranoia in this game is incredible to play off, especially combined with the absolute proof of anything you've said when your body turns up innocent.

Haha, I played with you earlier today as Maggot Brain. I need to get my mic working again, that was fun.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ahh okay, that makes sense guys. For some reason I had this lovely vision of a bunch of spy's running around with baseball bats instead of terrorists with shotguns. But not that I think of it, that's pretty retarded. Not having the source files wouldn't just magically insert similar TF2 models haha. Although it would be pretty sweet if it did.

BillyRubin
Dec 16, 2005
"Oh, and Senator, just one more thing."
That's a shame. Garry's Mod I could justify, but I would never play CS:S, and 15 bucks for a game I'll never play sure doesn't sound good.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

BillyRubin posted:

That's a shame. Garry's Mod I could justify, but I would never play CS:S, and 15 bucks for a game I'll never play sure doesn't sound good.

The best thing I can suggest, if you just want it for GMod purposes (which is a good idea) is to either catch it on sale (I got it half off a couple years ago and it was 75% off for a weekend last December) or just get the Valve complete pack (which is currently ~$240 worth of games for $100) and you'll be set.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Welp

Delamore fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 5, 2010

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There is already a TTT thread for discussing anything other than griefs. :ssh:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3299908

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Delamore posted:

<link removed>
You can play TTT if you own garrysmod and do this with a friends copy of counterstrike, just borrow their account and download it.

The reason I didn't suggest that is that it's kind of not legal at all.

quote:

Note: You are totally not allowed to use this guide if you don't own the games (a.k.a. having bought it). If you have the gcf-Files of one of the games below but have not bought it (e.g. from the "Free TF2 Weekend" or from a friend), you are not allowed to use this guide.

Edit: It's most definitely not, and it's even somewhat sketchy if you're doing it from your own Steam account that owns them to a Steam account that doesn't own them.
vv

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 5, 2010

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

m2pt5 posted:

The reason I didn't suggest that is that it's kind of not legal at all.

Sounds like the guy who made the wiki page just feels that way, although I have no idea if it is actually legal or not so I removed it.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Delamore posted:

Welp

Swift removal saves your rear end. Good work.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I have two accounts. One of them has CS:S, Garry's Mod, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2. It was VAC banned when some dick hijacked it just to get it banned. The other account has the Orange Box, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Modern Warfare 2, Garry's Mod, and a ton of other games but no CS:S. I used the removed method to use the CSS files from my old account on my new account's Garry's Mod. What's the legality of that?

e: Just noticed it's apparently sketchy. I don't see anything wrong with it, though.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Greedish posted:

I have two accounts. One of them has CS:S, Garry's Mod, Half-Life 2, and Team Fortress 2. It was VAC banned when some dick hijacked it just to get it banned. The other account has the Orange Box, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Modern Warfare 2, Garry's Mod, and a ton of other games but no CS:S. I used the removed method to use the CSS files from my old account on my new account's Garry's Mod. What's the legality of that?

e: Just noticed it's apparently sketchy. I don't see anything wrong with it, though.
It's fine as long as you own the game, there's no reason it wouldn't be and that's why the guide exists.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Even if you didn't have CSS isn't there some way to rename some HL2 models or something to make it work? There's probably 100s of free community made replacement models for everything in counterstrike.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
My old roommate and I used to play Blackthorn and Raven Shield all the time. Both were team based FPSs that allowed you to pick from a huge list of modern rifles, pistols and bonus gear like heartbeat detectors and a few flavors of grenades. We were both sort of good, partially because we mastered the lightweight MP5SD while everyone else insisted on hauling around their P90s, partially because we had a slight ping advantage, but mostly because we were playing an online shooter while both of us were physically in the same room. Being able to talk to each other and see each other’s monitors was an incredible advantage, especially once we got bored and started loving around.

This is now a roleplaying server
Both my roommate (let’s call him Neil) and I hated a certain map. It was a boat, and it encouraged stalemates and it always took too long to play a round. When the map came up in rotation we would declare the server a roleplaying server, the boat became the Love Boat, and everyone must be in character at all times. Neil would rename himself to Isaac and I’d rename myself to Merrill Stubing. We would then reenact imaginary scenes from The Love Boat, and berate anyone who didn’t follow our example. We would also threaten to kick people from the server that did not follow our roleplay rules.

We were never admins on the server during Love Boat roleplay. If we were, we would have just bumped the server to the next map.

Sometimes we wanted to roleplay but weren’t on the stupid boat map. We would rename ourselves to Egg Shen and Jack Burton and roleplay Big Trouble in Little China. This was always fun, but often lead to tears because we couldn’t agree on who got to be who. After all, everyone knows that Egg Shen is the coolest.

This is how you button your coat
The secret to our success in Raven Shield / Blackthorn was the lightweight but wimpy MP5SD. It had little stopping power, but it was accurate enough allow you to hit someone in the torso even while you were moving. The *plink* *plink* *plink* of baby bullets wouldn’t be enough to kill someone, but as long as we kept the bullets coming our victims’ reticules were so far out that they had no chance of actually hurting us. They would point their P90s directly at us, fire, and miss every shot. Meanwhile, we would casually trace a staccato of MP5 fire from our victim’s belly to their neck, finally killing them once our bullets scored a headshot. We called this ‘buttoning their coat’. This technique infuriated people. The best part was that it was completely legit.

No Fat Chicks
When I put up a cheesy 10 man server I always called it “No Fat Chicks”. Every couple hours we would get someone that took issue with the server name and our discrimination against ladies of girth. We always pointed out that we were not really against fat people, just fat chicks. If you were a fat guy you could stick around, but if you were a fat chick you’d better get the gently caress out.

If we were really lucky, our friend Scott would be on the server under the handle “Fat Bastard”. He was always the most vocal about the fat chick hate, and he would freely admit to being a 550 pound shut in that was too large to make it through his own bedroom door. Both me and Neil were very supportive of Scott’s hyper obesity and threatened everyone that dared to give him poo poo for being hugely overweight.

Of course, in real life Scott was the lightest of the three of us, weighing in at around 150 lbs. He just chose the handle because he liked Austin Powers.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

BillyRubin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong: Mash killed the traitor for killing his buddy, but didn't know he was a traitor. RDMing means random death matching, or killing someone without a reason (evidence, witnessing a murder, etc.) Now, it just so happened this person was an Admin! Therefore: BAN!

But Mash convinced him he did have a justifiable reason. The Admin therefore turned over the ban. Mash and his buddies have a good laugh.

Edit: How do I play this TTT exactly? I don't have Garry's Mod, but I do have HL2. Do I need to get GM to play TTT?

Sorry for being so vague, I was really tired when I posted it.

Yeah, this guy is pretty much right, but I'm gonna edit it for everyone else.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

requesting goons in terrorist town invite: http://steamcommunity.com/id/grandpathong

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a very simple pleasure in shotgunning some asshat admin in the face while they blather on about server rules in TTT.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Drox posted:

There's a very simple pleasure in shotgunning some asshat admin in the face while they blather on about server rules in TTT.
I can't say I've had much fun griefing TTT with goons so far, even when we're like half the players on a large server. The most I've done with you guys is name traitors and take turns killing admins that we are goon-revenging for banning some fellow goon or something.

I love the game and it is ripe for griefing, I just think with all these goons we ought to do more than just invent reasons to kill admins so we can hear them whine.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There was one map where we got people to kill/hurt themselves a bunch. It was loaded with smoke and incendiary grenades. You can't see fire through smoke. Throw a smoke in a hallway, put fire on the other side of it. I'm not sure, but I don't think you lose karma for it either.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Sanctum posted:

I can't say I've had much fun griefing TTT with goons so far, even when we're like half the players on a large server. The most I've done with you guys is name traitors and take turns killing admins that we are goon-revenging for banning some fellow goon or something.

I love the game and it is ripe for griefing, I just think with all these goons we ought to do more than just invent reasons to kill admins so we can hear them whine.

That's why I haven't played with them anymore. It used to be more fun.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

So I got a friend of mine to pretend to be my mother and tell the local Sunshine League that I was retarded. I got out on that field and proceeded to own some scrubs. :smug: :smug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

trans fat posted:

So I got a friend of mine to pretend to be my mother and tell the local Sunshine League that I was retarded. I got out on that field and proceeded to own some scrubs. :smug: :smug:

Hey, it worked for Knoxville.

I remember a pictionary-esque game on one of those flash websites...I think it was called "Inklink", where up to eight players would take turns receiving a secret word, illustrating it, and trying to get somebody to guess it as quickly as possible. The motivation was that the faster the correct answer was made, the more points the artist and the guesser would get.

I used to go into these rooms with a friend (or two), pretending to not know each other. One of us would receive a word, say, "Island." They would then proceed to draw something like a very, very detailed and elaborate cat. Then one of us would shout, "island!"

Sometimes we would guess the correct word before we even started drawing the picture. It's shocking how many people didn't catch on, though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, it worked for Knoxville.

I remember a pictionary-esque game on one of those flash websites...I think it was called "Inklink", where up to eight players would take turns receiving a secret word, illustrating it, and trying to get somebody to guess it as quickly as possible. The motivation was that the faster the correct answer was made, the more points the artist and the guesser would get.

I used to go into these rooms with a friend (or two), pretending to not know each other. One of us would receive a word, say, "Island." They would then proceed to draw something like a very, very detailed and elaborate cat. Then one of us would shout, "island!"

Sometimes we would guess the correct word before we even started drawing the picture. It's shocking how many people didn't catch on, though.

Haha. I had a friend I used to do this with, but took it one step further; not only did I draw the wrong thing, I drew the same thing every time: Abraham Lincoln.

The word cat? Abraham Lincoln playing tennis
Tulip? Abraham Lincoln in a canoe.
Happy? Abraham Lincoln in an arm-wrestling match with another Abraham Lincoln.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's amazing. I would always just draw dicks in iSketch, having a team work that way would be amazing.

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.
I liked drawing (bad) landscape art in isketch, like a farmhouse in the middle of countryside rolling hills, or maybe a space station overlooking earth... anything that's pretty long and involved works. Then about halfway through I'd draw the actual object as a side detail while making sure it was recognizable. This never failed to irritate people but I'd defend it as trying to set the "mood" of the object in question, and as part of MY ART in general.

It produced incredible amounts of rage from every other player. They'd give me death threats, accuse me of cheating, the works.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Wutasumi posted:

I liked drawing (bad) landscape art in isketch, like a farmhouse in the middle of countryside rolling hills, or maybe a space station overlooking earth... anything that's pretty long and involved works. Then about halfway through I'd draw the actual object as a side detail while making sure it was recognizable. This never failed to irritate people but I'd defend it as trying to set the "mood" of the object in question, and as part of MY ART in general.

It produced incredible amounts of rage from every other player. They'd give me death threats, accuse me of cheating, the works.

This is beautiful.

I'm not sure from where I got the idea, but one day I started drawing ducks in ISketch instead of whatever my word was. I took it into art form territory and made a photo album so i could always remember it: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30337&id=511628616&l=c65a229737

I love how some people would yell stuff like "THAT'S NOT A SNORKEL YOU HAVE TO DRAW A SNORKEL"

I would respond with "OKAY NEXT TIME I'LL DRAW A SNORKEL" and that seemed to appease them. So next round I'd draw a duck with a snorkel.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
When I think of iSketch, I think of this:

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

Hard Clumping posted:

This is beautiful.

I'm not sure from where I got the idea, but one day I started drawing ducks in ISketch instead of whatever my word was. I took it into art form territory and made a photo album so i could always remember it: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30337&id=511628616&l=c65a229737

I love how some people would yell stuff like "THAT'S NOT A SNORKEL YOU HAVE TO DRAW A SNORKEL"

I would respond with "OKAY NEXT TIME I'LL DRAW A SNORKEL" and that seemed to appease them. So next round I'd draw a duck with a snorkel.

So that was you. I was about to post about that, you magnificent bastard. Unless you copied it from the other goon who did it but I think those are the originals.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Greedish posted:

So that was you. I was about to post about that, you magnificent bastard. Unless you copied it from the other goon who did it but I think those are the originals.

I'm honestly not sure if I was the one to come up with it, it was so long ago and I was most definitely drunk the first time I did it. I could have seen it in a game, or it could have been another goon who gave me the idea. Or I could havejust drunk-drawn a duck and thought it was loving hilarious.

e: Of course if duck drawing wasn't original to me and I just drunk stole it from another goon and forgot about it, I'll gladly give credit where it's due because it's one of my favorite things.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I love playing detective in TTT. First I pick someone randomly out of the crowd of people (who has voice chat), then follow these steps:

Step 1: Demand they drop both their weapons.
Step 2: Tell them to face the wall/corner.
Step 3: Tell them to crouch down.

Now about 95% of the time they'll follow these 3 steps easily, sometimes with a bit of complaint. It's usually pretty weak "hey this isn't fair I didn't do anything" type stuff.

Step 4: Say "Any last words?"

Of course they start screaming like hell until you shoot them in the head. By this point most of the people in the server are listening and wondering what the hell happened.

Step 5: Check the corpse. If it was actually a traitor, say something like "You guys may not agree with my methods but I get results dammit!" If it was an innocent my phrase of choice is "Well, you have to break a couple eggs to make an omelette."

• Locked thread