Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Medical posted:

The Mercury Program is still the best post rock band.

are you in the mercury program or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Steve Winwood posted:

are you in the mercury program or something

I too, get all angsty when people reccomend bands they like in a thread devoted to people reccomending and talking about bands they like.

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Rhgr posted:

I too, get all angsty when people reccomend bands they like in a thread devoted to people reccomending and talking about bands they like.

If you're going to be a baby then I'd 'recommend' you put me on ignore. I was merely curious as to why someone would post the same band three times in the span of two pages.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
He keeps fuckin' mentionin' them though, not even at appropriate times.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Steve Winwood posted:

If you're going to be a baby then I'd 'recommend' you put me on ignore. I was merely curious as to why someone would post the same band three times in the span of two pages.

Five times out of six posts total :v:

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Sorry! I'm just used to seeing tons of hype about them on other forums. And here it felt like you guys were overlooking a gem. I felt like it was my duty to expose you all to them. if this isn't cool behavior I'll stop.

Anywho what are people's thoughts on The Non and These Monsters?

Medical fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 28, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Haha people hyping a post-rock band on a bad punk forum

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
rage chimp is gonna drop on this thread any minute and tell you all that the mercury program is like suckling the nectar straight from the pulsating cock of zeus himself

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Medical posted:

I have a knack for letting vocals grow on me, but otherwise I feel the same way. Immanu El is another band that would sound a lot better without vocals, but the music is good enough for me to cope with them.

Immanu El is absolutely amazing, I disagree with you about the vocals though. They'll Come They'll Come was an instant favourite, different than most albums that require a few listen-throughs before you really enjoy it. Moen didn't grab me in the same way, maybe it just needs another chance though.

Moving Mountains is another band where the vocals work great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve Winwood posted:

rage chimp is gonna drop on this thread any minute and tell you all that the mercury program is like suckling the nectar straight from the pulsating cock of zeus himself

:lol: I legitimately laughed out loud at this. Thanks.

And The Mercury Program's pretty cool. Another band that I hadn't heard of until this thread. Looked up a few of their songs on YouTube and they're good. Not the best post-rock band I've heard or anything, but their sound is sort of unique at least. I'm thinking they sound like a cross between Maserati and The Album Leaf, but that could be off.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Lawnie posted:

Anyone know where I can find the Mogwai/gently caress Buttons split where Mogwai covers "Colours Move" and the gently caress Buttons cover "Mogwai Fear Satan?" Because those are 2 awesome songs and I'd love to find that. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for the vinyl, and an mp3 copy would be equally awesome.

You dont have PMs - email addy?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

joelcamefalling posted:

Hook me up? pmctag12@caledonian.ac.uk

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

joelcamefalling posted:

Another goon actually found my email and directed me to it. Thanks, though.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
God Is An Astronaut's new album is up on their myspace, not going to listen though because I'm seeing them tonight and will (hopefully) snag a hard copy :toot:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well that's weird. I had no idea they had a new album coming out.

I'm listening through it now and a lot of it just seems like everything else they've done. Only a few standout tracks so far, like Golden Sky which uses piano, something they rarely do.

And then there's Age Of The Fifth Sun, which is like them trying to be post-metal. I don't have a problem with that at all because they're one of my favorite post-rock bands and I don't dislike anything they've done, including this. It's just pretty weird and caught me off guard.

Shining Through's definitely my favorite so far. It sounds like others they've done before, but what the hell, it's a little different and I usually have at least a few favorites for each God Is An Astronaut release. Electronic drums are sweet, too, and I don't think I've ever heard guitar bends like that in a God Is An Astronaut song before. I like!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Well, just saw a drat fine show by GIAA, got the new album, and got to chat with the drummer a bit. I was very happy with the set list, a good mix of the new material with some of my favorite older stuff, like Echoes and Suicide By Star, with an encore of Fire Flies and Empty Skies. Great stuff, but God help you if you're epileptic!

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Arujei posted:

Well, just saw a drat fine show by GIAA, got the new album, and got to chat with the drummer a bit. I was very happy with the set list, a good mix of the new material with some of my favorite older stuff, like Echoes and Suicide By Star, with an encore of Fire Flies and Empty Skies. Great stuff, but God help you if you're epileptic!

My thoughts exactly. Dissapointed they got rid of the videos, but overall an awesome performance. New songs were pretty good as well. Only downside was the goddamn photographer constantly standing next / right in front of me (I was the guy in the white 65daysofstatic t-shirt at the front ¬_¬)

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Rhgr posted:

Only downside was the goddamn photographer constantly standing next / right in front of me (I was the guy in the white 65daysofstatic t-shirt at the front ¬_¬)

Wahey! I'm pretty sure I met you before the show! I was sporting the paddy cap and monastic beard.

And yeah, the photographer got a little obnoxious sometimes, but I just tuned him out after a while.

Internet
May 27, 2004
Behold!!!
I'm seeing This Will Destroy You on June 1st. :swoon::swoon::swoon:

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Tiger Girl fade and walk-off, into Debutante and Radio Protector to finish. 65daysofstatic kick all kinds of rear end.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Souldark posted:

Tiger Girl fade and walk-off, into Debutante and Radio Protector to finish. 65daysofstatic kick all kinds of rear end.

Glasgow?

Yeah, that's how they ended last night. Amazing stuff though it wasn't loud enough. I felt very detached from the music.

Also, the programming during the main 'riff' (I guess?) on Weak4 sounded awful.

That being said, a good show.

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Nah, Newcastle last night.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Not sure if this belongs here or the sludge metal thread, but new Rosetta leaked today according to the guitarist.

Chris Poe
Jan 28, 2007
Pain don't hurt.

Internet posted:

I'm seeing This Will Destroy You on June 1st. :swoon::swoon::swoon:

June 5th for me!

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

plester1 posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or the sludge metal thread, but new Rosetta leaked today according to the guitarist.

It's almost worthy of being put in the Hardcore megathread too, since that's one of the vibes I'm getting from the album. Supposedly they got a little pissed off about the post-metal label they were given and decided to move in a hardcore direction. I've only heard one song, and it was pretty good.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

It's almost worthy of being put in the Hardcore megathread too, since that's one of the vibes I'm getting from the album. Supposedly they got a little pissed off about the post-metal label they were given and decided to move in a hardcore direction. I've only heard one song, and it was pretty good.

I believe the term they prefer is "nu-sludge skramz".

edit: also i didn't even know there was a hardcore thread

Sherbet
Jan 20, 2010

Thanks so much for all the recommendations in this thread. I haven't listened to much post-rock for the last year or so and had lost the bookmark for the blog I used to use for recommendations and previews and junk so this thread is like a goldmine for me! It also reminded me to check on tour dates just in time for the Mono show in Seattle next week (May 11). Anyone else going? None of my friends like music without vocals. :sigh:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
*note* I could be really late to the party. I dont know.

If you are looking for something at the heavier end of the spectrum, with some occasional screamed vocals (a la Angel Eyes or Kehlvin), you may or may not like Shels. Or *shels. Or whatever the hell they call themselves lately. Gotta warn you of occasional sung vocals, which work well with it. But its the straight instrumental tracks that are the real winners.

Kind of like a postrock Poison The Well, I guess.

Anyways, http://www.myspace.com/shels should give you a pretty good idea of their sound. The Conference of the Birds, Indian 2 Sea of the Dying Down, wingsfortheirsmiles 1/2 , Water are all pretty kickass, in my opinion.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 7, 2010

Andre Weed 420
Feb 19, 2007

by angerbot
Who is everyone planning on seeing this summer? IF everything goes well I'll be seeing this will destroy you twice, mono, and gifts from enola.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

No one. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Andre Weed 420 posted:

Who is everyone planning on seeing this summer? IF everything goes well I'll be seeing this will destroy you twice, mono, and gifts from enola.

I know I'll be seeing Mono in June. This Will Destroy You is also coming here in June, but I'm not sure if I'll go to that or not. I haven't been much of a fan of their music since Young Mountain.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

Andre Weed 420 posted:

2000 trees festival with 65daysofstatic, maybeshewill, and so i watch you from afar, vessels, old school tie

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Just Grails at the moment.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Mono for the second time and Buried inside, both at the end of this month. Probably a lot more I haven't learned about! Stoked for mono, they are incredible live.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Jónsi, but that's not really post rock.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

joelcamefalling posted:

*note* I could be really late to the party. I dont know.

If you are looking for something at the heavier end of the spectrum, with some occasional screamed vocals (a la Angel Eyes or Kehlvin), you may or may not like Shels. Or *shels. Or whatever the hell they call themselves lately. Gotta warn you of occasional sung vocals, which work well with it. But its the straight instrumental tracks that are the real winners.

Kind of like a postrock Poison The Well, I guess.

Anyways, http://www.myspace.com/shels should give you a pretty good idea of their sound. The Conference of the Birds, Indian 2 Sea of the Dying Down, wingsfortheirsmiles 1/2 , Water are all pretty kickass, in my opinion.

Yeah, they rule. I feel bad that I haven't listened to The Sea Of The Dying Dow for a while. Have you listened to Mahumodo? Not as good a band as *shels, but still very similar and had a lot of the same members.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Aprils by Mahumadeoussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss or whatever is amazing

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
Mono is coming to Durham, NC in June and I am really thinking of going.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

leonje posted:

2000 trees festival with 65daysofstatic, maybeshewill, and so i watch you from afar, vessels, old school tie
I'm going there as well. When I saw the line up I though 'Wow! If ASIWYFA were on the bill then I'd definitely go,' and then 3 days later they got added to the line up. I've never really been into festivals that much but seeing that line up and the fact that it's only about 40 minutes away from me meant that I just had to go. I can't wait to see Maybeshewill as I haven't seen them live yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andre Weed 420
Feb 19, 2007

by angerbot

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I know I'll be seeing Mono in June. This Will Destroy You is also coming here in June, but I'm not sure if I'll go to that or not. I haven't been much of a fan of their music since Young Mountain.

Where do you live? I'm seeing both of them in June. I'm in Memphis, TN but I'm hoping to drive up and see TWDY