Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Why does my SV650 backfire whenever I get off the throttle? I won't know if I'm running a bit rich until I finish off the tank and see my mileage. I'm new to all this and think that all bikes smell funny compared to my car.

I know I'm just going to get told "But why do you want to get off the throttle?".

Edit with stupid noob question part 2:
Should I worry about lugging the engine? The torque gets really lumpy around 3000RPM, but the engine doesn't actually feel like anything is wrong until below about 2000, so I go ahead and run it at 2500-3000RPM if I'm very slowly speeding up after slowing down.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've been scouring craigslist for weeks looking for a bike. Right now I'm riding my dad's honda rebel 450, but when I ride it's time that he can't ride and it upsets him, so I need something for myself.

I want some kind of sporty or standard bike, and this 1984 CB700SC caught my eye. http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1731396384.html

I already went to look at it, and it seems like a pretty good deal, but $1000 is at the very top of my price range for a bike.

$1k gets me the bike pictured, runs but has a dead battery
2nd complete identical bike that's been stored outside for 2 years, may run may not
4 boxes of parts that are the remains of a 3rd bike, minus engine and tranny
rolling frame of the third bike
titles for all 3 frames.

I think the model's attractive, it's shaft drive, hydraulic valve lifters, hydraulic clutch, and I'll be swimming in spare parts, but I do have to pay 2 years of back fees for the DMV to get it registered, which should be around $200 or less.

So have I found a reliable model and a small warehouse to support it or does something not smell right? Please advice CA?

Pre-emptive edit: I'm new to riding but I'm not a big risk taker so I think the increased power over what I'm used to will be ok, I have to have power for sustained freeway speeds. I commute 20 miles round trip to school and the 2nd job I picked up for the summer is 40 miles round trip nearly every day.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 10, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

You probably won't give up much by swapping back to the stock exhaust. Is it a complete system?

It's just a slip-on.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Hey I have an exhaust question too! The PO for my 02-YZF R6 threw in a Vance & Hines SS2-R slip on exhaust which I promptly threw in a box and forgot about. It's a little rusty but I'm pretty sure I can clean it up.

My co-workers are all over me to throw it on to so I can hear the sound. They are convinced that I'm going to love it. I really don't want to rejet or anything. Does anyone have any experience with one? Should I just throw it on and see how the bike sounds? Send it straight to E-Bay?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It's not like your bike is going to explode if you put it on just to see what it sounds like, and it takes around 30 seconds to do, so why not?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's not like your bike is going to explode if you put it on just to see what it sounds like, and it takes around 30 seconds to do, so why not?

The only reason I can think of is that it's going to sound awesome and I'll have to buy better ear plugs. Screw it. I'm putting it on this week.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Weinertron posted:

Why does my SV650 backfire whenever I get off the throttle? I won't know if I'm running a bit rich until I finish off the tank and see my mileage. I'm new to all this and think that all bikes smell funny compared to my car.

I know I'm just going to get told "But why do you want to get off the throttle?".

Should I worry about lugging the engine? The torque gets really lumpy around 3000RPM, but the engine doesn't actually feel like anything is wrong until below about 2000, so I go ahead and run it at 2500-3000RPM if I'm very slowly speeding up after slowing down.

1. Every carburetor-ed bike I've ridden does that.

2. 3000 is pretty low, don't be afraid to slip the clutch if it gets lumpy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Rontalvos posted:

I have to have power for sustained freeway speeds. I commute 20 miles round trip to school and the 2nd job I picked up for the summer is 40 miles round trip nearly every day.

I commute 120 miles round trip every day on a stock 28hp Ninja 250. You don't need gobs of power to ride on the highway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

There are those two, and I think it has pretty much freed that piece. However, there are other cracks spreading out from the grommet (the white lines in the 3rd and 2nd pic). Would I need to break apart all of the pieces and then glue them together, or is a topical treatment possible?

Also, are there similar but completely wrong products to use? Language is a bit of an issue. Things needed would only be the bonding agent and various sandpaper?
Your only major concern is that you want to use something that'll flex with the plastic. If you use something that doesn't flex, like bondo, eventually it'll separate from the plastic and you'll have to do it over again. You might be able to do it on the bike, I'd probably pull it and do it properly off the bike, as if you get it just right it should be basically unnoticiable when you're done.

Plastex is what I've used in the past. Site is ghetto but the product is great.

http://plastex.net/

Weinertron posted:

That's fine.

Does your SV have an aftermarket exhaust on it? If so, it's completely normal to hear some popping on deceleration. The stock exhaust muffles it enough that it's usually not really noticible if you're wearing earplugs.

Crayvex posted:

Hey I have an exhaust question too! The PO for my 02-YZF R6 threw in a Vance & Hines SS2-R slip on exhaust which I promptly threw in a box and forgot about. It's a little rusty but I'm pretty sure I can clean it up.

My co-workers are all over me to throw it on to so I can hear the sound. They are convinced that I'm going to love it. I really don't want to rejet or anything. Does anyone have any experience with one? Should I just throw it on and see how the bike sounds? Send it straight to E-Bay?

It's gonna be loud as poo poo. V&H is up there with D&D as having stupid loud pipes. It's a slip on so you should be alright without rejetting, it'll probably make the low end EPA lean spot worse though, which can make it feel like the bike hits harder.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

What brand of earplugs are you folks partial to?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

frozenphil posted:

If you want some loving sick sweet plugs, go to a gun show, or -where I got mine- a SASS event. They always have some dude there that custom makes them. I think I paid 30 for mine, fit like a glove, quiet as poo poo. I highly recommend you look into that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The highest rated orange foam ones I can find, usually 32?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Big box of 200 foam pairs that Mom picked up from McMaster for about $15.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Z3n posted:

Does your SV have an aftermarket exhaust on it? If so, it's completely normal to hear some popping on deceleration. The stock exhaust muffles it enough that it's usually not really noticible if you're wearing earplugs.
harder.

Yes, I have a Vance & Hines exhaust on the bike that is louder than poo poo. And yes, I am wearing properly inserted foam disposable earplugs. The noise level when I'm riding is at a very comfortable, non fatiguing level.

This exhaust really is exceptionally loud. I still hear and feel the thrumming of the exhaust over the wind at 70mph. Of course, that may just be because the earplugs don't block low frequencies as well.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 10, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Yes, I have a Vance & Hines exhaust on the bike that is louder than poo poo. And yes, I am wearing properly inserted foam disposable earplugs. The noise level when I'm riding is at a very comfortable, non fatiguing level.

This exhaust really is exceptionally loud. I still hear and feel the thrumming of the exhaust over the wind at 70mph. Of course, that may just be because the earplugs don't block low frequencies as well.

Yeah, totally normal. It'll get reduced if you rejet, but every bike I've ever ridden with an aftermarket exhaust that was running right popped at least a little on decel.

It's funny how it's the little things that you miss the most...the sound of my SV popping on decel on the track :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

poo poo, like the wheels and swingarm. FFFFffff

What will it do to the paint, exactly?

Depending on the quality of the clearcoat, it may strip it, it may not.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Crayvex posted:

The only reason I can think of is that it's going to sound awesome and I'll have to buy better ear plugs. Screw it. I'm putting it on this week.

That and you'll lose the ability to tease me about my stereo. :haw:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2020

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

What would CA do:

1) Let the shop fix it
2) Attempt to fix it alone (might be difficult to find supplies)
3) Convert it to naked/street fighter
4) Option 3 in addition to 1 or 2
5) Sell it and buy a Supermoto.

frozenphil posted:

Sony...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sounds like it's dropping a cylinder or there's something seriously wrong with the carbs. If you don't have the expertise to diagnose it on your own, unfortunately you're usually best off trusting the shop to do their job...we can tell you all kinds of half baked ideas, but it's hard to say what is going on without seeing the bike in person. It may have needed the carbs cleaned, does it clean up at higher RPM?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Jabs posted:

Sony...

Ear plugs, not head phones. I've been leaning towards these as they reviewed very well.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

frozenphil posted:

Ear plugs, not head phones. I've been leaning towards these as they reviewed very well.
I suggested them for their multiple uses.
Want headphones? Play something through them. (Lance Hunt wears glasses.)
Want earplugs? Don't play anything through them. (Captain Amazing *doesn't* wear glasses!)

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2020

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

frozenphil posted:

I'm a big fan of the 3M low pressure soft foam ones: http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-supplies.cfm/safety-protection-clothing-ear-plugs/3m-1120/soft-foam-ear-plugs-.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mechanism Eight posted:

Thanks, I'll do what I can to record a video incase anyone's curious how it sounds and get the bike over to the dealer ASAP.
It certainly sounds like at least one cylinder isn't combusting properly, even when cruising around 65mph in top gear. Add a little throttle to overtake and it smooths right out. This is in the region of 5,000 rpm if I remember correctly.

Dirty pilot jets? :v:

Dirty carbs are a distinct possibility, probably more likely than most, as usually when the bike isn't firing on a single cylinder due to lovely coils/connections, it gets worse at high RPM, not better.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Z3n posted:

Depending on the quality of the clearcoat, it may strip it, it may not.

Trawling the internet for advice on this last night seemed to indicate this was very unlikely - I found several sites saying that methylated spirits (denatured alcohol to you yanks I believe) will not hurt any modern clearcoated paint. If your paint has no clearcoat of course, it's bad news.

Hopefully those people are right. Certainly I didn't see anything happening to the paint which indicated it was being damaged, so hopefully it's fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Trawling the internet for advice on this last night seemed to indicate this was very unlikely - I found several sites saying that methylated spirits (denatured alcohol to you yanks I believe) will not hurt any modern clearcoated paint. If your paint has no clearcoat of course, it's bad news.

Hopefully those people are right. Certainly I didn't see anything happening to the paint which indicated it was being damaged, so hopefully it's fine.

If you don't see visible damage, you're fine. Modern clearcoat is pretty durable stuff.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

frozenphil posted:

Whatever you can steal from work.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

frozenphil posted:

Got me a set of these.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

frozenphil posted:

I've got a big rear end box of these (from amazon actually) and they're pretty awesome. I like them a lot better than the hearos ultrasofts I used when I first started riding, which were too short imo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

frozenphil posted:

Surefire EarPro Sonic Defenders.

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Ignore the :siren:TACTICAL PROFESSIONAL:siren: bullshit, they're actually really really good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 11, 2010

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

PadreScout posted:

If you want some loving sick sweet plugs, go to a gun show, or -where I got mine- a SASS event. They always have some dude there that custom makes them. I think I paid 30 for mine, fit like a glove, quiet as poo poo. I highly recommend you look into that.

Yeah, I got a set of custom moulded plugs at the Sydney Motorcycle Show last year. They work really well. So well I'm getting a pipe for my bike because I miss the sound. :P

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I wonder if those custom molded guys would help make a plug with a hole for my earbuds. I use the Sony Ericsson in-ear ones, but the stock plastic buds didn't really fit my ear. So I just shortened and pierced a regular foamie, shoved the buds through and blammo, excellent isolation and better sound than original.

Music is great for those long boring roads where it sort of prevents your mind from wandering. I'm riding to Oslo on Saturday, going to try audiobook for the first time. Not sure it will work because it tends to require a bit more concentration than monotonous Detroit techno.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jabs posted:

5) Sell it and buy a Supermoto.

I have been considering it, but I don't think I am ready to part with it. A second bike would be nice, but taxes and such would be too much to bear unless it was under 250cc (which probably wouldn't be as fun).

Z3n posted:

Plastex is what I've used in the past. Site is ghetto but the product is great.

http://plastex.net/

You will be held responsible for any credit card fraud.

Edit:

Jabs -> frozenphil posted:

Sony...

These are wonderful for stopping noise and being able to listen to music at a reasonable level. If you don't want music, you don't have to connect any. If you want to be able to hear as if you were not wearing earplugs, press the pass-through button to turn the noise-cancellation pickup into microphones.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 11, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

NRR of 29 and that site wants $20 to ship. They look comfy though.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Got me a set of these.

KozmoNaut posted:

Surefire EarPro Sonic Defenders.

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

Ignore the :siren:TACTICAL PROFESSIONAL:siren: bullshit, they're actually really really good.

These are wonderful for stopping noise and being able to listen to music at a reasonable level. If you don't want music, you don't have to connect any. If you want to be able to hear as if you were not wearing earplugs, press the pass-through button to turn the noise-cancellation pickup into microphones.

I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a product when its performance, for my needs and wants, can be matched by a $.12 piece of foam.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

frozenphil posted:

I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on a product when its performance, for my needs and wants, can be matched by a $.12 piece of foam.

These are my favorite earplugs, and they work loving great (for me)

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Earplugs-Uncorded-NRR33/dp/B0013A0C0Y

I use them all the time. They're very comfortable and have great noise reduction when inserted correctly. I have issues with flanged plugs working their way out of my ear for some reason, but those fuckers stay seated and comfortable all day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ola posted:

I wonder if those custom molded guys would help make a plug with a hole for my earbuds.

I have no recommendations on where you can find them, but when I looked at custom ear plugs a couple years back, I found a few websites that talked about custom ear phones. The first site on Google is run by Logitech with custom ones going up to $1300, but I'm sure there's something cheaper out there.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

frozenphil posted:

Yeah that site sucks but I think you can find them on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Uncorded-Ear-Plugs/dp/B001AFTQQI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1273593223&sr=8-10

I haven't found much difference between them and some NRR 33 plugs, noise wise, and due to the softer foam they're so much more comfortable for all day riding.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
A friend of mine molded his own custom earplugs. You can buy the exact same stuff the guys at the motorcycle shows use for something like <$10 a pair. I bet you can find info on them on advrider or somewhere like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

frozenphil posted:

$12.95/$13.95 is too expensive for earplugs? :confused:

I know the "Hocks Noise Braker" sounds a bit like pseudoscience, but in my experience they really work, loud noises are significantly reduced, but you're still able to hold a normal conversation with the plugs in.