Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Typik posted:

I'm actually new to motorcycles. Looking to buy a sport bike but don't have the money to "Start" at 250 and slowly upgrade as I get better, but like most I also don't want some super fast death machine.

Ninja 250s don't go down in value very much. If you buy one for $1500 to $2000 and use it to get comfortable riding for a few thousand miles you'll easily be able to sell it for the same price when you're done.

I was dumb and bought mine brand new and it has only dropped around $500 in resale value. There's no good reason to not start on a 250 other than your ego getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

infraboy posted:

Unless you're a big idiot with no self control an SV650 should be a fine beginner bike. Also it's a fuel injected model, so starting cold or warm should be a snap.

Yeah, I got a first gen for $600 less than that. Carbs are a bit of a pain to deal with when it's first thing in the morning.

I can't believe that other bike guys call the SV650 "slow". It feels like I'm riding a rocket, and I always shift before 7k rpm to keep myself out of the true power.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

infraboy posted:

Unless you're a big idiot with no self control an SV650 should be a fine beginner bike.

I'd say that experience driving stick is pretty important too. I think someone who's driving a manual trans car for a year or two is going to have a much easier time with a more powerful bike them someone who's only driven slushboxes their whole life and their first extended experience with a clutch is on a bike.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Weinertron posted:

I can't believe that other bike guys call the SV650 "slow". It feels like I'm riding a rocket, and I always shift before 7k rpm to keep myself out of the true power.

"There is no such thing as a slow bike" definitely applies here. You have acceleration similar to some of the fastest road cars available outside of ridiculous hypercar territory.

If anyone thinks an SV is slow, they're out of their minds. Compared to literbikes etc., it may not seem that fast, but that's just because the bar for bike performance has been raised to absolutely outrageous levels. I bet you 99.9% of people who call and SV slow won't be able to drive it at 10/10ths, let alone the literbike they undoubtably own. It's just cockwaving.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Typik posted:

I plan on riding very frequently, and when I can, take long distance trips (By that I mean from dallas to hot springs Arkansas, at best, really.)

Dallas, eh? Well, howdy neighbor!

If you head north through Oklahoma ( i forget the road, goes through Antlers) and then cruise E over 7 do the Mt. Ida thing over to Hot Springs, it's a hell of a nice ride. You can even take the duck tour! The duck tour loving rules.

If you ever want someone to ride with, look me up, riding good!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PadreScout posted:

If you head north through Oklahoma ( i forget the road, goes through Antlers) and then cruise E over 7 do the Mt. Ida thing over to Hot Springs, it's a hell of a nice ride. You can even take the duck tour! The duck tour loving rules.

Vouching for this. Also if/when I ever finish my transalp, we should meet up and ride somewhere cool.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'd say that experience driving stick is pretty important too. I think someone who's driving a manual trans car for a year or two is going to have a much easier time with a more powerful bike them someone who's only driven slushboxes their whole life and their first extended experience with a clutch is on a bike.

I'd actually disagree with this. In one sense, having the idea of how a manual transmission works is one thing. But for myself being used to driving a stick, I found that I had a harder time with the concept of being able to slip the clutch and doing things that would destroy a car's transmission. Maybe it's just me, but I think learning shifting with no preconceived notions is better.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
I dunno, at least in my MSF course, the people who had driven stick extensively before seemed to have a WAY easier time with overall bike control then those who hadn't. A lot of them seemed to treat the clutch like an on/off button and would frequently forget to pull it in when coming to a stop. Starting off was really jerky and unpredictable for a lot of people too.

We were on anemic little Buell Blasts, but I could imagine someone making similar ham-handed throttle/clutch applications could have ended much worse on something with real power/torque behind it.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I had never touched a manual before in my life before the MSF and after the first hour or so of sitting on the bike I had gotten down how to manipulate the clutch well enough that I at least felt like I was smooth. Some others thought it was an on/off switch like Tsaven said while some with car-manual experience were terrified of slipping the clutch and using the friction zone. Also one guy who kept trying to clutch with his foot and shift with his hand.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1731396384.html

Should I buy this right now or run away?

I've been riding for about 2 months, on a Rebel 250 and 450 and i'll be taking the MSF in 2 weeks. I've got a steady throttle hand and have been looking for something to use to commute to my summer job that's 40 miles round trip.

2.5 bikes sounds like a steal for $1k, but really who knows.

And oh god that 80's styling :allears:

Edit: I'm excellent at wrenching and it comes with 1.5 parts bikes, so repairs shouldn't be a concern.

I'm not in love with the model per-se but I want something from the 80's that isn't a v-twin and isn't a laid-back positioned cruiser. Some kind of upright standard what I'm looking for, and I don't necessarily want to cruse on one of the CB900c's we're pulling out of mothballs, they weigh drat near 700 pounds and I'm 5'11" and 160lbs.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 9, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Rontalvos posted:

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1731396384.html

Should I buy this right now or run away?

I've been riding for about 2 months, on a Rebel 250 and 450 and i'll be taking the MSF in 2 weeks. I've got a steady throttle hand and have been looking for something to use to commute to my summer job that's 40 miles round trip.

2.5 bikes sounds like a steal for $1k, but really who knows.

HP on those is a little on the high side, but they aren't twitchy. Take it easy on it and you probably will be okay. Just be careful at first because they are a lot more powerful than a Rebel.

However, you are going to pay 2 years of registration, plus whatever repairs. Personally, I think you can probably find a better deal on something else unless you really want that model.

Typik
May 8, 2010

PadreScout posted:

To you and blugu64, definitely going to try to ride with you guys sometime after getting my bike. Keep in touch.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1727464755.html

Somebody stop me! This is the "6th" gen? I know the one before this had the gear driven cams while this one has the VTECHS, I don't know which one i'd prefer :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infraboy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1727464755.html

Somebody stop me! This is the "6th" gen? I know the one before this had the gear driven cams while this one has the VTECHS, I don't know which one i'd prefer :(
Yep, that's the 6th gen. They're prettier than 5th gen, but 5th gen sound better (and are marginally more reliable since they don't have cam chain tensioners). That's a pretty sweet deal, although there has to be more to the story since I'm not sure how too much front brake with ABS and linked brakes = lowside (unless he did it mid-turn or something). See if you can get pictures of the damage.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
"Selling for a friend" raises red flags in my book. Make sure it's all legit with the title and everything.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

I'd say that experience driving stick is pretty important too.

I would say experience with a manual car transmission is more of a hindrance than it is helpful. The shifting is completely different, the parts of your body you use are completely different, and the way the clutch works is completely different. You essentially have to unlearn everything you know about operating a transmission before you can learn the proper way. If you have no previous experience you can skip the very difficult unlearning process and proceed directly to the learning process.

I will say that automatics make absolutely no sense on a motorcycle and I can't understand why they're even available outside of specialty shops that modify bikes for handicapped people. It's got to be terrifying not knowing if your bike is about to shift on you or not in the middle of a corner. Couple that with the extra weight and size of an automatic and I'm just not sure why anyone would ever choose one over a manual transmission on a bike, outside of a physical limitation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

I would say experience with a manual car transmission is more of a hindrance than it is helpful. The shifting is completely different, the parts of your body you use are completely different, and the way the clutch works is completely different. You essentially have to unlearn everything you know about operating a transmission before you can learn the proper way. If you have no previous experience you can skip the very difficult unlearning process and proceed directly to the learning process.

I will say that automatics make absolutely no sense on a motorcycle and I can't understand why they're even available outside of specialty shops that modify bikes for handicapped people. It's got to be terrifying not knowing if your bike is about to shift on you or not in the middle of a corner. Couple that with the extra weight and size of an automatic and I'm just not sure why anyone would ever choose one over a manual transmission on a bike, outside of a physical limitation.

For my experience, I had only lightly driven a manual before I got on the bike, so I had the basic understand of how clutches worked and what they did, and that helped a lot. Plus the instructors drilled it into our heads that we should slip the clutch as much as possible, so I just got used to burning the hell out of the clutch and everything is fine.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

frozenphil posted:

here is where continuously variable trannys come into play

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

niethan posted:

here is where continuously variable trannys come into play

I'm not sure how I feel about CVTs...having ridden bikes with centrifugal clutches, it's pretty loving miserable...no small opening throttle control.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm thinking CVT's are impractical on a bike. Gear driven CVT's are still rather complex and belt driven CVT's treat the belt as a consumable and have no engine braking. Imagine diving into a corner, letting up on the gas and having the bike freewheel on you.They work on snowmobiles to keep the (usually) 2 smoke motor on the pipe but riding a sled is more like boating than riding a bike.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about CVTs...having ridden bikes with centrifugal clutches, it's pretty loving miserable...no small opening throttle control.

Having driven my brother's 125cc scooter around a bit, I agree here. I hate not having the fine control over power delivery that a manual transmission and clutch gives you.

Then again, his scooter is all of like 12 horsepower, so it's not like there's much risk in whacking the throttle wide open mid corner.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Hey, I'm looking to get a first motorcycle and currently looking at this 1985 Kawasaki GPz 550. It's $1400 on craigslist. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this as a first bike.

quote:

I bought this gem from the original owner that always kept it in his garage so the paint is amazing for the age. Has a little under 22K miles. NEW: Recovered seat with Marine grade vinyl, Fresh paint on headers. NEWER (replaced in the past year): Targa Windscreen, Brake pads, Repacked Kerker muffler, rear wheel bearings, synced carbs, K&N oil filter, Bridgestone Battle Ax Tires front and back. Extra Parts: Side mirrors, blinker housing, bulbs, badges and stickers, gaskets, front wheel bearing, triple tree and bearings. Also comes with original owners manual and service book.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

AtrociousToaster posted:

Hey, I'm looking to get a first motorcycle and currently looking at this 1985 Kawasaki GPz 550. It's $1400 on craigslist. I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this as a first bike.

The bike looks to be in really good shape, and the PO sounds like he's taken good care of it and knows what he's doing. I'd say go for it.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1723310529.html

I'll be checking out that bike on Friday afternoon. I've talked with the seller and he seems extremely competent. My only major fear is that if I like the bike, it's about an hour and a half away from home, and I don't have anyone who could drive the bike back for me (the PO said he is uncomfortable driving on the highway, which is part of why he is selling the bike). I mapped out a back way I could take home, but in the DC Metro area, even those roads are pretty packed. Talk about trial by fire :ohdear:.

EDIT:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1734572705.html

That just popped up, and I might go try and take a look at that instead. I'm assuming I'll need to talk him down a little bit, but would $1500 be too much for that bike, assuming nothing major was the matter?

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 11, 2010

Typik
May 8, 2010

Agrias120 posted:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1723310529.html

I'll be checking out that bike on Friday afternoon. I've talked with the seller and he seems extremely competent. My only major fear is that if I like the bike, it's about an hour and a half away from home, and I don't have anyone who could drive the bike back for me (the PO said he is uncomfortable driving on the highway, which is part of why he is selling the bike). I mapped out a back way I could take home, but in the DC Metro area, even those roads are pretty packed. Talk about trial by fire :ohdear:.

No kidding, I'm having the exact same predicament as you. Though I'm in Texas, back roads seem a little less packed around here, but they're extremely lovely (Potholes EVERYWHERE). The only guy I know with a truck willing to drive out and help me pick up the bike just moved. So I'm gonna have to get someone to drive me out there, and just ride it home and hope to god I don't f up.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

frozenphil posted:

I'm curious why say this. I took the MSF a couple weeks ago and ended up riding 3 different bikes (1st bike was basically broken) and found all of their clutch-throttle control similar to each other. I've also driven stick since the day I learned to drive, and I found controlling a motorcycle's clutch-throttle to be nearly identical except for the positions of the actual controls. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but I had virtually no trouble starting from a stop or shifting smoothly, except on the broken bike.

On another note I should have enough cash in a few weeks (and hopefully a stable job oh god) to buy my first bike.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?

Agrias120 posted:

My only major fear is that if I like the bike, it's about an hour and a half away from home, and I don't have anyone who could drive the bike back for me (the PO said he is uncomfortable driving on the highway, which is part of why he is selling the bike). I mapped out a back way I could take home, but in the DC Metro area, even those roads are pretty packed. Talk about trial by fire :ohdear:.

How old are you?
Is it possible at all to rent a pickup from the likes of Enterprise or Avis?

I'm getting $50/day rental from AVIS at Tampa Bay area for an F150. If I have to haul-rear end to Orlando to pick up a bike, my plan is to rent.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

I think you can rent motorcycle trailers from some U-Hauls.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
That too, but you need a hitch on your car (mine doesn't have one)

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I am so tempted to buy this purely because it may be the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1732813348.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Rontalvos posted:

I am so tempted to buy this purely because it may be the prettiest thing I've ever seen.

All I know is that I love mine, it's plenty powerful, if you deal with the regulator/rectifier and the cam chain tensioner the bikes run great. That one looks pretty pristine considering its age.

I got complimented on my 17 year old 93 by some guy riding an 04 ZX6, p.cool!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rontalvos posted:

Oh wow, that is clean.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm curious why say this. I took the MSF a couple weeks ago and ended up riding 3 different bikes (1st bike was basically broken) and found all of their clutch-throttle control similar to each other. I've also driven stick since the day I learned to drive, and I found controlling a motorcycle's clutch-throttle to be nearly identical except for the positions of the actual controls. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong but I had virtually no trouble starting from a stop or shifting smoothly, except on the broken bike.

On another note I should have enough cash in a few weeks (and hopefully a stable job oh god) to buy my first bike.

For me, it was the friction zone. Riding and slipping the clutch on a car all the time is a great way to burn it out (I know from experience). On a bike it is essential. At first I was far too "binary" with my bike's clutch. I don't think I would have been if I learned it from zero experience.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I never said anything about bikes being dissimilar from each other. Not sure where that came from. However:

Unless your car has a sequential gear box, the shifting is completely different on a motorcycle.
Unless you car has hand controls, you use completely different parts of your body to shift on a motorcycle.
Unless your car has a wet clutch, the way you use the clutch is completely different on a motorcycle.

That's why I said what I did. Shifting a motorcycle is only the same as shifting a car in the sense that they both use a clutch and you have to manually change the gears. Most people who drive stick have problems when they jump on a bike because they are used to shifting with their hands and clutching with their feet. They are also used to treating the clutch as an on/off switch and moving the shifter in an H-pattern.

If you didn't have problems, congrats. Most people do have problems with shifting their first time on a bike, even if they figure it out rather quickly.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

Same bike I have. Asking price is decent, although to really see the condition you'll need to take the fairings off. 1994 is the model year you want, for sure. It comes with fully-adjustable front and rear suspension (including cartridge-style forks).

The bike itself is very comfortable. The clip-ons mount above the triple tree and offer more upright ergos than most modern sportbikes. The pegs are comfortable but on the other hand are also fairly low for a sportbike - I switched mine out with Woodcraft rearsets and it helped me get my knees all the way up to the tank easier and provided more ground clearance.

I would definitely be confident buying that with the no-bullshit ad and the clear pictures taken by the owner.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

frozenphil posted:

...and moving the shifter in an H-pattern.

If you didn't have problems, congrats. Most people do have problems with shifting their first time on a bike, even if they figure it out rather quickly.
My problem is that the typical shift pattern on a bike is reverse from what's intuitive for me. That's been slowing my shifts from time to time as I stop to think about it - I pull the clutch, check to make sure that my left foot is about to move the shifter in the direction I want to go, I move the shifter, then I double check (mentally) that I did, in fact, lift it into the next gear before letting the clutch out. I've had 2 or 3 times where I've gone the wrong way - only once did the clutch actually get let out, resulting in a nutsmasher.

There was a mention here at one point about...a GP shift pattern? Hardware that made it 1 up, 4-5 down?
That intrigues me.

whda
Jul 4, 2008
What do you guys think of this ninja? http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1735110970.html

I'm pretty broke so the price is definitely appealing, and the owner said the fender is removed because some guy backed into it rather than it getting dropped or crashed.
I'm not really sure how expensive that would be to fix though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

whda posted:

What do you guys think of this ninja? http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/1735110970.html

I'm pretty broke so the price is definitely appealing, and the owner said the fender is removed because some guy backed into it rather than it getting dropped or crashed.
I'm not really sure how expensive that would be to fix though.

Looks pretty good. If it really does just fire up and just needs a headlight, you could have a great starter bike for super cheap.

Jabs, GP shift depends on the design of the bike. some bikes make it easier to do than others.

Typik
May 8, 2010
What year do you all consider to be the "Best year" for the SV650? As in, was it made better back in the 1990s? Or now?

Also- I know that mileage on a bike can go a long way with the right amount of care from the owner, but when looking to buy a new sports bike, what do you all consider the "Danger zone" of mileage? How many miles is too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I prefer the first gens, easier to mod for more power. And they don't snap cranks like the second gens do when you boost engine power over 80hp.

Highest mileage I've ever seen on an SV was 135k on a bike that I bought, it was definitely down on power, and fragged the transmission at 140k. It's more about how the bike is maintained than the mileage...and you can get killer deals on bikes over 40k because people just won't buy them.