Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Fenarisk posted:

Ahaha wow, I want to live where you do. Around here they'll sell for 2-5x the cost of the local produce market and be dicks about it too.

My fiance might be getting a job in the city (and by contract means we have to live in the city too), I dread having to find an apartment that's both affordable and allows bunnies, plus all the new loud noises that might scare Sprout and Dodger :ohdear:

Wow, that's insane. I love my local farmer's market -- when I mentioned I had bunnies they gave me like an armful of carrot tops they'd chopped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

angelicism posted:

Wow, that's insane. I love my local farmer's market -- when I mentioned I had bunnies they gave me like an armful of carrot tops they'd chopped off.

I have to check the next one I see, all the produce places by me I usually go to keep the greens on the carrots. And bunny is munching some kale and carrot right now, only gave him one shot of crit care, and one dose of gas drops, should I start giving them regularly even if he's eating but not much?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Melicious posted:

We had no trouble finding a place that accommodated the cats and bunny. If we had a dog, it would have been a very different story. As for affordability and loud noises, just don't look at bigass buildings and stick to two/three flats. Then you're only dealing with the noise of one neighbor.

Also, I haven't brought all my stuff to Red Door- do you still want anything?

Yeah really sorry about dropping off the face of the earth between work and finalizing wedding plans for this summer too. We actually might be apartment hunting on the northwest side the weekend of the 14th if that works.

I'm going to go with the "Yup they have a cage" route and just let them assume what they will, and will try to get a place that doesn't have wood paneling and trim.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah really sorry about dropping off the face of the earth between work and finalizing wedding plans for this summer too. We actually might be apartment hunting on the northwest side the weekend of the 14th if that works.

I'm going to go with the "Yup they have a cage" route and just let them assume what they will, and will try to get a place that doesn't have wood paneling and trim.

It's no problem- I've actually been pretty busy myself, as evidenced by the fact that I haven't given the stuff to the shelter. The 14th should be fine... if I'm not around, the boyfriend will be, so yeah. Just let me know.

Strangely, as far as woodwork goes, Bowser went loving nuts on the wall corners and kick molding in our old place, but didn't touch any of the stuff in our current place. Our house here was built in 1911 and has all the original woodwork, so we were really afraid she was going to start destroying it. But she never touched anything... the only issue was that she kept peeing on the floor in our study, but it's much easier to clean up urine from the wood floor than it was to clean from carpet.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
Barney doesn't like his outside food bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvbCmf_X5Y

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Laughing Man posted:

I have to check the next one I see, all the produce places by me I usually go to keep the greens on the carrots. And bunny is munching some kale and carrot right now, only gave him one shot of crit care, and one dose of gas drops, should I start giving them regularly even if he's eating but not much?

They leave the greens on the carrots while on display but when someone buys a bunch of carrots they offer to chop off the tops so the customer doesn't have to deal with bringing home that unwieldy stuff that they're likely going to throw away anyway. So in the back they usually have a pile of the carrot greens.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Some of the chain supermarkets here sell bunched carrots, and if the greens are still on them, I'll break a few off of the other bunches and put them in the bag with my carrots :ssh:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Windy posted:

Some of the chain supermarkets here sell bunched carrots, and if the greens are still on them, I'll break a few off of the other bunches and put them in the bag with my carrots :ssh:

If it's pay-per-weight, then you're technically paying for them anyway. :colbert:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Luckily it's pay per bunch.

PoconoHermit
Oct 25, 2005

Fire in the hole, Internet!
Bunnies vs. Grapes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBka8RKbFMo

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Aren't grapes toxic to bunnies?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Serella posted:

Aren't grapes toxic to bunnies?

Grapes are poisonous for dogs, but rabbits can have them. They're really sugary, so they should be rare treats!

Rare Treat Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2R_My7D8I Cilantro vs. Watermelon!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 9, 2010

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

pseudonordic posted:

Grapes are poisonous for dogs, but rabbits can have them. They're really sugary, so they should be rare treats!

Ah, I thought it applied to several other kinds of animals as well. Good to know.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith's heels are still bare, although he doesn't seem to be tender there. I've been cleaning out his litter box more often (and will do it right now, now that I've noticed it again) what was the mention about cornstarch? Is it just something to put on to cover it? Also, should I be considering a vet visit? They don't seem to hurt or bother him at all but it just looks so.. unhealthy.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

pseudonordic posted:

Rare Treat Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av2R_My7D8I Cilantro vs. Watermelon!

Awwww I love this. When bunnies encounter something new and don't seem to realize it's food, or they run away uninterested. Once they try it they can't get enough.

They're like picky children sometimes. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ShadowCatboy posted:

Awwww I love this. When bunnies encounter something new and don't seem to realize it's food, or they run away uninterested. Once they try it they can't get enough.

They're like picky children sometimes. :)

She's had watermelon before, she was just weirded out by my wife insisting on feeding her with a fork.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Well, until I can either get a new camera charger or a new phone, there will be no pics of SUPERPOOPER 9000 (the new shitter my husband made for Harper).

Huge Liability
Mar 2, 2010
Well, something pretty crappy happened this morning and I need some advice. I'm staying with my parents over the summer and they own two rabbits, Penny and George. They are together throughout the whole day and are only separated at night, because George has a habit of chasing her when the lights go out and it causes Penny to poop everywhere. At night, George stays in a large dog crate and Penny resides in an area surrounding the cage that is defined by a metal enclosure. The space between the bars on the cage and the enclosure are exactly the same (this is important).

At 5:30am this morning there was an incident. This was half an hour before my dad usually wakes up and lets the rabbits out to run for the rest of the day. We all heard a loud shriek coming from down the hall, and found that Penny had gotten her head stuck between two bars of the enclosure. She was tossing her head back and forth against the bars, shaking the entire thing. When we tried to help she managed to wrench her head out on her own and stopped screaming. She ran around panicking and stomped for a bit but my mom calmed her down.

update: We had another discussion about it and they've agreed to do something about the enclosure to prevent it from happening again, so I can worry a little less now. Penny is particularly skittish right now but seems to be fine otherwise. George has been doting on her crazily today.

Here are the rabbits in happier times, with the enclosure behind them. Penny is the black bunny.

Huge Liability fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 12, 2010

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I had to put Harper down today. When I don't feel like the worst person in the world, I'll post about what happened.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh. Um. Well considering how fragile rabbits are, the chances of it actually being your fault are very small. Even if it feels otherwise. Anyway, I'm sorry.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
This seems like the proper place (sorry if it isn't). We had a small rabbit nest in our garden, and a crow found it, so we took them inside (by we I mean my mom, I didn't really have a say in it). We're trying to feed them with cat formula from a little bottle with a rubber nipple. They're about 4"-6" long, fur, etc. What is the best way to make them drink the formula? They seem fairly resistant. I know you need to get the tip in their mouth and tip them up a bit, but any tips would be very helpful.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

DS at Night posted:

Oh. Um. Well considering how fragile rabbits are, the chances of it actually being your fault are very small. Even if it feels otherwise. Anyway, I'm sorry.

It wasn't my fault, no, but it still makes you feel really bad when you have to sign a death warrant for your pet.

Thank you.

Edit: death warrant isn't the right term. I had to give consent to have my pet put down, that is what I meant by it.

I'm constantly going into our spare bedroom to go check on Harper. I get horrible pangs of sadness when I realize I forgot I had to put him down.
I've had to put animals down before, but this was the worst.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 15, 2010

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Elysiume posted:

This seems like the proper place (sorry if it isn't). We had a small rabbit nest in our garden, and a crow found it, so we took them inside (by we I mean my mom, I didn't really have a say in it). We're trying to feed them with cat formula from a little bottle with a rubber nipple. They're about 4"-6" long, fur, etc. What is the best way to make them drink the formula? They seem fairly resistant. I know you need to get the tip in their mouth and tip them up a bit, but any tips would be very helpful.

Give them up to a wildlife rehab center.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Give them up to a wildlife rehab center.
Thanks, I just looked one up and my mom is going to take them down tomorrow. She's worried about it, but I convinced her that they're better off getting care from people who have been doing it for years. Does this look like a good wildlife rehab clinic? It's small, but it seems legitimate. I don't have any experience in this.

http://www.wildernesshaven.net/home.html

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Elysiume posted:

Thanks, I just looked one up and my mom is going to take them down tomorrow. She's worried about it, but I convinced her that they're better off getting care from people who have been doing it for years. Does this look like a good wildlife rehab clinic? It's small, but it seems legitimate. I don't have any experience in this.

http://www.wildernesshaven.net/home.html

Absolutely, that place will be much more able to take care of the little buns =) Make sure they have plenty of hay and short, heavy bowls of water available until you can get them to Wilderness Haven. 4"-6" inches long is pretty old for baby buns. I'm guessing three weeks old at least. Someone more experienced with raising wild rabbits would be more capable of aging them.

For next time: Leave baby bunnies alone if you find them. Unless you find the carcass of their mother or some other major sign, do not take them. Baby rabbits only nurse about twice a day and their mothers typically don't hang around during the day. Finding them alone is not unusual.

Also, this part of their webpage outlines it MUCH better than I could:
http://www.wildernesshaven.net/babybunnies.html

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Absolutely, that place will be much more able to take care of the little buns =) Make sure they have plenty of hay and short, heavy bowls of water available until you can get them to Wilderness Haven. 4"-6" inches long is pretty old for baby buns. I'm guessing three weeks old at least. Someone more experienced with raising wild rabbits would be more capable of aging them.

For next time: Leave baby bunnies alone if you find them. Unless you find the carcass of their mother or some other major sign, do not take them. Baby rabbits only nurse about twice a day and their mothers typically don't hang around during the day. Finding them alone is not unusual.

Also, this part of their webpage outlines it MUCH better than I could:
http://www.wildernesshaven.net/babybunnies.html
They're at the clinic now. I know you aren't supposed to take rabbits, but a crow found the nest and had already eaten one. There were a handful of crows hanging around that didn't have anything benevolent in mind. I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do, but my mom was (understandably) upset about seeing one of them taken away by a crow.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

So I've cut my rabbit's hair (I have to or else he ends up with dreadlocks as long as my arm) but I used different scissors than usual and ended up cutting it way too short on his neck. On the one hand it's hilarious because he looks like he got run over by a lawn mower but on the other hand I feel really bad because I cut it VERY close. Like, you can see his skin.

I hope that as long as I'm not seeing blood it's okay :ohdear: but is there anything I should do or look out for?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Just make sure he/she doesn't get cold without her fur. I would also take her to a groomer instead of using scissors. Also, post pics.

Ely, how old did the people at the rehab center say they were? Did they say anything about their chances of survival?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gumby Orgy posted:

I had to put Harper down today. When I don't feel like the worst person in the world, I'll post about what happened.

Goondolences. :smith:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Pre lawn mower

Post lawn mower

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

DS at Night posted:

Pre lawn mower

Post lawn mower

Someone dropped out of cosmetology school.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

pseudonordic posted:

Goondolences. :smith:

I guess now is as good of a time as any:

I had made a delicious dinner and invited some of his family over for the first time this year. His uncle's six year old daughter came over, too and was warned repeatedly not to go and pet the bunny because he bites. After dinner, she went to the bathroom down the hall and decided to go pet Harper while no one was looking.

We heard her screaming and starting to cry, so we ran into the second bedroom. Harper had bitten her repeatedly on her arm and she was bleeding pretty badly. Her dad picked her up, brought her to the bathroom and washed her up.

Even though his little cousin brought it upon herself, we unfortunately had to have him put down the next day. We simply cannot have him around other people due to liability. If she had to go to the ER, her insurance could sue us for the cost.

She should NOT have disobeyed us, but she's just a kid. Harper was cute and furry, so the temptation was too great.

An aggressive animal, no matter what kind of animal, is not suitable for a pet.

I feel really guilty because a) I should have realized she wouldn't be able to resist trying to pet Harper b) Harper was healthy. I've never had to sign the life away of a healthy animal before and it has been the worst experience for me. I'm so guilt-ridden right now. Strangely, I don't feel guilty about his cousin getting hurt, but I do feel guilty for Harper's death.

Edit: For those that haven't kept up with the Harper saga, we've been having some severe behavioral issues with him for almost two years now, which is the entire time we've had him.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 15, 2010

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I guess times have changed. When I was little my grandmother's poodle bit the poo poo out of me but nothing came of it aside from my dad teaching me a lesson on how not to piss off animals.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Gumby Orgy posted:

I guess now is as good of a time as any:

I had made a delicious dinner and invited some of his family over for the first time this year. His uncle's six year old daughter came over, too and was warned repeatedly not to go and pet the bunny because he bites. After dinner, she went to the bathroom down the hall and decided to go pet Harper while no one was looking.

We heard her screaming and starting to cry, so we ran into the second bedroom. Harper had bitten her repeatedly on her arm and she was bleeding pretty badly. Her dad picked her up, brought her to the bathroom and washed her up.

Even though his little cousin brought it upon herself, we unfortunately had to have him put down the next day. We simply cannot have him around other people due to liability. If she had to go to the ER, her insurance could sue us for the cost.

She should NOT have disobeyed us, but she's just a kid. Harper was cute and furry, so the temptation was too great.

An aggressive animal, no matter what kind of animal, is not suitable for a pet.

I feel really guilty because a) I should have realized she wouldn't be able to resist trying to pet Harper b) Harper was healthy. I've never had to sign the life away of a healthy animal before and it has been the worst experience for me. I'm so guilt-ridden right now. Strangely, I don't feel guilty about his cousin getting hurt, but I do feel guilty for Harper's death.

Edit: For those that haven't kept up with the Harper saga, we've been having some severe behavioral issues with him for almost two years now, which is the entire time we've had him.

I'm really, really sorry to hear this. I know you were put in an awful place and feel terrible, but you made the right decision. Honestly, he got a nice 2 years with you, which is more than he would have had in a shelter or with a less persistent owner.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That is an incredibly sad story :( I presume you're in the U.S. because the whole thing with insurance sounds like you are.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

spudsbuckley posted:

That is an incredibly sad story :( I presume you're in the U.S. because the whole thing with insurance sounds like you are.

I am in the US, yes.

Also, DS, the aggression issue with Harper has been an ongoing thing. He's never bitten anyone outside my husband and I before. I'm really pissed that his six year old cousin put us in a situation that ended in me having to put down my pet. I talked to my vet for over an hour yesterday before making the final decision. Not only did she flat out say putting him down would be the right thing to do, she said an aggressive animal is never a happy one.

On some level I wish I had been there while he was being injected, but on the another I know - I know - I wouldn't have been able to handle it. I just hope he wasn't too scared.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gumby Orgy posted:

I am in the US, yes.

Also, DS, the aggression issue with Harper has been an ongoing thing. He's never bitten anyone outside my husband and I before. I'm really pissed that his six year old cousin put us in a situation that ended in me having to put down my pet. I talked to my vet for over an hour yesterday before making the final decision. Not only did she flat out say putting him down would be the right thing to do, she said an aggressive animal is never a happy one.

On some level I wish I had been there while he was being injected, but on the another I know - I know - I wouldn't have been able to handle it. I just hope he wasn't too scared.

Cilantro can be aggressive to strangers but thankfully we don't have any child visitors. Of the two children Cilantro's encountered, she was in her cage for the first and the parents were with us and supervising for the second. Xan (the second kid) even got boxed by Cilantro and her parents approved as Xan is still learning about consequences.

That being said, Cilantro had her incisors removed as a consequence of a persistent infection so she can't leave much more than a scratch on anyone who gets in her path.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I've been trying to teach the rabbits that being handled isn't such a bad thing. I've been picking them up, holding them for a sec, then setting them back down and feeding them apples as treats. Sometimes they don't seem to want the apple and will just run away and sulk. Am I doing this right?

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Entice her with a treat first instead of picking her up first and then offering her a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Does the treats-in-lap thing work with rabbits? I've used it on rats and semi-feral kittens. You just put something they want to eat in your lap and then settle down to wait for them to climb into your lap, and when they're eating the treat you touch them a little with your hands.

I haven't had a rabbit since I was about six, so I have no idea if the same theory applies, but I imagine that a prey animal would find someone sitting on the floor less threatening than someone bending over them to pick them up...?