Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Senator Woofington posted:

Yeah I know right? I wasn't saying scooters are gay, I was asking why there is such a stigma with scooters and being gay in our society. You can deny it all you want, but that poo poo is still there. And I still want a honda ruckus!

But that is exactly what your first post said

I hope your skinny girl jeans strangle your balls, hipster moped scum! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So I was riding back from the gas station on my ped and I ran out of gas. I figured there was only a quarter mile left and there surely would be enough oil in the engine, so I put a bit of the unmixed (no oiled added yet) gas into my tank. It ran and made it but at the end was makin some angry sounds. Did I just really gently caress up my bike? I'm afraid to try starting it again knowing that what is currently sitting in the carb bowl is oil-less...

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

Just A Little Bit Closer...
Yeah, you might have. Drain the the carb and put some mixed gas in and find out.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I was riding back from the gas station on my ped and I ran out of gas. I figured there was only a quarter mile left and there surely would be enough oil in the engine, so I put a bit of the unmixed (no oiled added yet) gas into my tank. It ran and made it but at the end was makin some angry sounds. Did I just really gently caress up my bike? I'm afraid to try starting it again knowing that what is currently sitting in the carb bowl is oil-less...

You would seize, you wouldn't just make "Angry sounds". Drain your bowl, fill your tank with the right mixture, and ride.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a tomos targa that has been running well until recently. I tried to start it a few nights ago and it wouldnt idle and quickly died.

I've had trouble with the clutch not disengage before so i tried disassembling the carb but now I dont know how the clutch pieces are supposed to be reinstalled, does anyone else have an A35 engine and can take a picture of where each piece is supposed to be?

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

You would seize, you wouldn't just make "Angry sounds". Drain your bowl, fill your tank with the right mixture, and ride.

You can damage a variety of parts without just seizing it. It isn't like 2 strokes are either seized up or perfectly fine. Making "angry noises" is a bad thing. Try starting it up with some premix. It probably isn't a terrible idea to squirt some oil into the spark plug hole or intake and turn it over by hand a few times first before you run it either. Be ready to turn it off fast if it is making bad sounds though. Personally, I'd pull the cylinder off and check to make sure nothing is broke and there are no pieces of anything metal in it that could ruin the cylinder, but you may not be as concerned with destroying your bikes as me.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

You need to pull the cylinder off and inspect it. You can either deal with it now, or pay for a new sleeve/plating in a short time. Running a two stroke engine with just fuel can/will cause major issues even within a very short time span. If this was a big lumbering engine, you MIGHT be able to get away with it, but it being a small overworked engine just makes it bad bad bad.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions but she is fine. I did drain the carb bowl and look at the cylinder and all seems well and she was sounding fine today with some oiled up fuel in her.

Now here is a crazy question: Can ocean air gently caress up my engine? I live about 5 - 6 miles inland from the coast and went for a cruise. She was doin fine and well until she wanted to stop running at low rpms. For whatever reason, eventually she would just die if she slowed too much and wouldn't kick start. I had to run with her for about 20 yards to get her up to speed and throttle her up, at which point I determined I had to make it all the way back home (I was about 8 to 10 miles out) with out stopping. While somewhat fun it was mostly frustrating.

Then as soon as I got home she wanted to idle again and was acting like her bad rear end self again. I realized that she was having more and more trouble the seemingly closer I got to the coast, and it was a rather humid/foggy night. Could this have anything to do with it?

edit: Apparently I experienced carburetor icing.

I posted this over at moped army, but you guys seem to be more knowledgeable so here:

me posted:

So I finally got my 1977 Derbi Variant running. But the problem is. it runs completely inconsistently. It will almost always at least run, but the problem is that sometimes it will run really well, being able to take even the steepest hills, and others times it will peter out on the tiniest of slopes. I simply don’t get it. It also sometimes wants to idle, and other times I have to throttle it up when stopping to get it to idle, which is really counter intuitive.

This is more or less the first mechanical project I have had, and from having zero prior knowledge, I managed to fix my engine, gear box, and ignition system to get this bike running. But why it is being so inconsistent is beyond me. Everything has been cleaned, and recently. There is enough oil mixed into the fuel, my spark plug is not fouled. I just don’t get it! Any help would be greatly appreciated it.

Senator Woofington fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 10, 2010

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY
Sep 2, 2004

by Fistgrrl

So I was riding back from the gas station on my ped and I ran out of gas. I figured there was only a quarter mile left and there surely would be enough oil in the engine
The oil is burned with the gasoline - it doesn't collect anywhere inside the engine to be released later or anything like that.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
Are the rings supposed to cling tightly to the piston even when it's not in the cylinder? I opened my engine to take a look today and clean it out, but the rings only stay close to the piston when it's in the cylinder.

I also put it in but the piston wouldn't move when I pedal and hold the choke handle(? what is that thing called... whatever you hold to start it), presumably because there was not enough lubrication. I opened it back up and sprayed WD-40 but it still won't move in the cylinder, I guess I need to put 2-stroke on it.

It used to run until some soft seizures, so I guess I'm probably just going to get the 70cc kit from Treatland (it's a 15 bing so I think it can handle it) and put that on, I just want to mess around with it until then so I can make sure I don't gently caress up that installation.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

windwaker posted:

Are the rings supposed to cling tightly to the piston even when it's not in the cylinder? I opened my engine to take a look today and clean it out, but the rings only stay close to the piston when it's in the cylinder.

I also put it in but the piston wouldn't move when I pedal and hold the choke handle(? what is that thing called... whatever you hold to start it), presumably because there was not enough lubrication. I opened it back up and sprayed WD-40 but it still won't move in the cylinder, I guess I need to put 2-stroke on it.

Piston rings don't cling to the piston, they spring back out to create the seal. You have to compress them manually (note the pin) and slide the cylinder on.

Why the gently caress would you spray WD-40 in there? Put a bit of 2-stroke oil on the piston and inside the cylinder when you install it. You can also just take the flywheel cover off and rotate the flywheel manually instead of trying to hold the clutch and pedal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yup, if they get in there all half cocked they'll make a mess of things.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just picked up a Suzuki FA50 for $100 from a yard sale. Really clean, no rust or anything, but I can't get it to start. It's a kick start and sounds like it's sort of puttering, but it won't start. I can get a very small spark jumping from the plug to metal on the bike, so I'm not sure what's going on, exactly.

I drained all the fluids and replaced them, but whatever came out of the fuel tank was neon green and smelled really bad. Removing the carb looks like a bitch and a half on this thing, but I think it needs cleaning badly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to have an FA-50, and I dont remember the carb being that hard to get off. Its most likely a gunked up carb though. They are dead simple, so if its not the carb, its electric, which should be easy to diagnose.

Once it runs though it will keep running. They're very reliable.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Piston rings don't cling to the piston, they spring back out to create the seal. You have to compress them manually (note the pin) and slide the cylinder on.

Why the gently caress would you spray WD-40 in there? Put a bit of 2-stroke oil on the piston and inside the cylinder when you install it. You can also just take the flywheel cover off and rotate the flywheel manually instead of trying to hold the clutch and pedal.

Well drat, I don't know what's wrong but I covered the piston in 2-stroke and it still won't go fully into the cylinder. Maybe I should try with the rings off... or just order that 70cc kit already.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

I used to have an FA-50, and I dont remember the carb being that hard to get off. Its most likely a gunked up carb though. They are dead simple, so if its not the carb, its electric, which should be easy to diagnose.

Once it runs though it will keep running. They're very reliable.

The carb sits kinda wedged in between the frame and the cylinder, and has like a zillion tubes compared to my Puch. I think I have to lift the frame off the engine to get at the carb properly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

windwaker posted:

Well drat, I don't know what's wrong but I covered the piston in 2-stroke and it still won't go fully into the cylinder. Maybe I should try with the rings off... or just order that 70cc kit already.

Are you compressing the ring with one hand as you slide on the cylinder?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, I got my carb out (didn't need to pull the frame off the engine after all), cleaned it completely. The jet was gunked, the bowl was digusting, and I was really sure I would get it started after that. So after a ton of kicks it started, and then immediately died. I got it going again and revved it a bit, and black soot came out of the exhaust, and then it died again. I probably got it started maybe 6 times, but each time it died quickly and never stayed running.

I've replaced all the fluids, replaced the spark plug, checked the idle screw, cleaned the air filter, and checked the exhaust port for carbon clogging. There seems to be a spark from the plug, but it doesn't appear to be huge. I'm not sure how a spark is supposed to look in bright daylight, though.

I have not done a compression test and don't have the stuff necessary to do so. All the gaskets seal well, it appears, however.

Thoughts?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Chuck a piece of coathanger wire into a cordless drill and clean all the carbon out of the peashooter muffler (or just completely remove it for testing purposes). BTDT with an FZ50.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ShaneB posted:

OK, I got my carb out (didn't need to pull the frame off the engine after all), cleaned it completely. The jet was gunked, the bowl was digusting, and I was really sure I would get it started after that. So after a ton of kicks it started, and then immediately died. I got it going again and revved it a bit, and black soot came out of the exhaust, and then it died again. I probably got it started maybe 6 times, but each time it died quickly and never stayed running.

I've replaced all the fluids, replaced the spark plug, checked the idle screw, cleaned the air filter, and checked the exhaust port for carbon clogging. There seems to be a spark from the plug, but it doesn't appear to be huge. I'm not sure how a spark is supposed to look in bright daylight, though.

I have not done a compression test and don't have the stuff necessary to do so. All the gaskets seal well, it appears, however.

Thoughts?

Take out spark plug, and put your thumb in the plug hole. Turn the cylinder (by pedaling or turning the flywheel). If you have good compression you'll feel your thumb being pushed out.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

GOLDMAN SACHS PARTY posted:

The oil is burned with the gasoline - it doesn't collect anywhere inside the engine to be released later or anything like that.

Actually depending on the ratio that it is mixed, you will have a small puddle below the crank. But that obviously isn't going to do squat to help mix with the fuel.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Are you compressing the ring with one hand as you slide on the cylinder?

Yeah - the piston will go in about halfway and won't enter any farther. I really don't know why since the cylinder and piston are both fairly oiled up. I think I'm just going to get the 70cc kit so I know everything will fit and I can just do a fresh install of that section.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

windwaker posted:

Yeah - the piston will go in about halfway and won't enter any farther. I really don't know why since the cylinder and piston are both fairly oiled up. I think I'm just going to get the 70cc kit so I know everything will fit and I can just do a fresh install of that section.

I'm going to ask you a funny question. Are you sure you have the cylinder facing the right way going into the case?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
So far as someone who has a US Motorcycle license goes, if I take a moped up to most Canadian provinces, it needs to be registered, licensed, and insured, yes? It seems that Canada (like Texas) treats mopeds as small motorcycles, with the only advantage being that a M-limited license is easier to get than an M.

The reason I ask: I'm still possibly moving to Germany sometime this fall, but I might have a month or two between jobs, which I'd probably spend mucking around in Canada. If I do so, I was thinking to put a mount of some sort on the back of my Toyota Corolla, secure a moped to it, and take that as a tooling-around vehicle to whatever city I go to.

Should I just register it as a motorcycle in Virginia, insure it, and bring my Texas M-certified DL with me (along with helmet/jacket/gloves) up to Canada?

If I'm there for, say, Aug-Oct, is a moped a decent way to get around, say, Quebec City?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I got that FA50 running tonight. Pulled the carb again and saw the pilot jet I missed the first time. Totally tiny opening that was clogged up, so I ran some wire through it and cleared it up. Got it started and now it's going well. Nice little torquey bike that pulls hard to 25-27. My wife will love it for getting around town and to work and stuff, I think. I'm hyped to have another bike we can both use.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're nice, simple bikes. My FA-50 ran like a top despite me beating it like it owed me money, and racing it constantly around a homemade course in an abandoned parking lot.

I did find 50 cents in the main frame tube that somebody dropped from under the seat, so yours could very well contain hidden riches.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sadly, the bike didn't want to get going this morning. This thing SUCKS to start when it's cold. I might be using too cold a plug, too, but that seems like a half-assed excuse. I'm going to try cranking the idle and throttle screws in to make the idle richer and faster. I'm not 100% sure how the choke works, either, but I'm moving it out to the left which is the starting position, which sure seems like the right way to do it.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I broke my intake manifold :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I broke my intake manifold :(

what

how

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ShaneB posted:

what

how

Basically I am a giant moron. Turns out my manifold was bent were it is supposed to be flat so it can lie flush against the port. Now I realized it was aluminum but my options were, try to bend it, or never have a proper seal. So I tried to bend it but aluminum being as brittle as it is, it just snapped.

I have a new one in the mail already though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My wife riding her new FA50 to work for the first time:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yessss, that brings back memories (not your wife, the scooter).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

Yessss, that brings back memories (not your wife, the scooter).

Please, it's a noped.

(It's actually pretty much a scooter, isn't it...)

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

My wife riding her new FA50 to work for the first time:

I hope you aren't really in to her that much since you are letting her ride with a BICYCLE helmet and no other gear at all.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

I hope you aren't really in to her that much since you are letting her ride with a BICYCLE helmet and no other gear at all.

The FA50 goes 25 mph, which isn't that much faster than a bicycle, and ridden on the same roads.

However, she is ordering a full-face helmet. Feel free to take your preaching elsewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ShaneB posted:

The FA50 goes 25 mph, which isn't that much faster than a bicycle, and ridden on the same roads.

However, she is ordering a full-face helmet. Feel free to take your preaching elsewhere.

Just FYI, from the hurt report:

quote:

16. The median pre-crash speed was 29.8 mph, and the median crash speed was 21.5 mph, and the one-in-a-thousand crash speed is approximately 86 mph.

That's for motorcycles...don't gotta crash going fast to die. I had a friend on a scooter doing 20ish mph get squeezed by someone into a ditch, she was on crutches for a month due to the damage to her knees and legs. :( Better safe than sorry, is all. :)

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I'm sure she'll be fine when a car runs a red light and t-bones her, I mean she is only going 25, right? Or when she grabs a little too much front brake in a panic and dumps it, those slippers are going to keep her from breaking an ankle and shredding open her face.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OlDirtyBehrmann posted:

I'm sure she'll be fine when a car runs a red light and t-bones her, I mean she is only going 25, right? Or when she grabs a little too much front brake in a panic and dumps it, those slippers are going to keep her from breaking an ankle and shredding open her face.

Same thing as on a bicycle if you get t-boned. Yeah, it's a motorized vehicle, but neither of us is wearing full gear when we are riding our mopeds. No one I know, or have ever seen, rides mopeds with gear besides a helmet. Maybe we are all idiots, but I'm not wearing leathers or even textiles on a loving ped. When I had my Yamaha Seca II, yeah. I wear a real helmet, she's getting a real helmet, kindly gently caress off with your self-righteousness.

Also, you must not ride mopeds if you think you can lock up the brakes. This is seriously the last I'm talking about safety gear in the thread devoted to discussing chainsaw-powered bicycles.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

ShaneB posted:

the thread devoted to discussing chainsaw-powered bicycles.

mmmm, chainsaw powered things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e64Ify5Wp4&feature=PlayList&p=A89758A19C0BBD19&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OlDirtyBehrmann
Jun 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Same thing as on a bicycle if you get t-boned. Yeah, it's a motorized vehicle, but neither of us is wearing full gear when we are riding our mopeds. No one I know, or have ever seen, rides mopeds with gear besides a helmet. Maybe we are all idiots, but I'm not wearing leathers or even textiles on a loving ped. When I had my Yamaha Seca II, yeah. I wear a real helmet, she's getting a real helmet, kindly gently caress off with your self-righteousness.

Also, you must not ride mopeds if you think you can lock up the brakes. This is seriously the last I'm talking about safety gear in the thread devoted to discussing chainsaw-powered bicycles.

Hey you are well within your rights to be an idiot just like all the squids in tank tops and sandals, but don't expect sympathy when you or your wife get hosed up because you think it is just a "chainsaw-powered bicycle". I ride with quite a few people who wear armored jackets and gloves because they understand that riding a vehicle with nothing around you to protect you is dangerous. Also you must be really awful at building mopeds if you can't lock the brakes up. Actually, based on your comments in this thread, I'm sure of it.

This is a picture of a car that pulled out in front of a friend of mine. He was wearing full gear and lived, want to take a guess at what would have happened if he was wearing a bike helmet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread