Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
1 v 1 as a keeper are really about forcing the forward to make a decision. Generally the rule is stay big until the last minute. Staying big consisting of coming out, palms out facing the opponent, hands straight down at your side in an athletic stance (knees shoulder width apart etc). Use that stance to close ground, and then when you get close enough to attack the ball you need to leave your feet and slide on your side. Extend your arms out and attack the ball with your chest. If you attack the ball too slow, or dont come out aggressive enough a forward will easily touch it by you. Generally you want to time coming out aggressively after the forwards last touch when he pushes the ball out in front of him that way he might not get a second touch to score before your on top of the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

hughsieblingwish posted:

Brunswick, on Victoria street. it's a good stadium though the competition is taken really seriously. we're in division B somewhere in the middle. I like the surface, it's pretty similar to rebound ace that they stick on tennis courts, although it's a loving nightmare to keep on as any time you slide it shreds your skin like sandpaper.

i dunno what level you're at, probably above mine though.
Nah, I play at the lowest level at a place way less professional than that. Our top league is pretty unreal, but everyone fucks off at this time of year to play outdoor anyway.

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher
I play keeper in an okay level indoor rec league and what I find best in 1v1 situations is to quickly come of the line and pressure the strikers. Most of the time the forward lose their composure and lose the dribble or I would have cut the angle of that they don't have much space to shoot on goal. And it's indoor so there's not much time and they do feel hurried anyway.

The guys that are really good will beat me but a lot of the times they'll mess up too.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

Shrapnac posted:

I always chew gum when I play but it's sugarfree which might make a difference.

I sometimes chew Airwaves or similar, but the last time I did that the ref said gum was banned on the astro :(

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

First match with 11 vs 11 on a full pitch tonight, it went really well...for a while. We dominated and worked our asses off and after 45 minutes (we played for 60 minutes) we were up 4-2 and (with 1 cheeky poachers goal from me + 1 assist) before we collapsed in the last minute and they scored 3 goals to win it, including a loving terrible own goal. Very, very annoyed right now :argh:

But great fun, and my knee didn't hurt much either.

euroboy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 7, 2010

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Isosceles posted:

I play keeper in an okay level indoor rec league and what I find best in 1v1 situations is to quickly come of the line and pressure the strikers. Most of the time the forward lose their composure and lose the dribble or I would have cut the angle of that they don't have much space to shoot on goal. And it's indoor so there's not much time and they do feel hurried anyway.

The guys that are really good will beat me but a lot of the times they'll mess up too.

cool, all this advice is good. it's pretty much how i think i approach keeping; quick off the line and in the attackers face, usually works but can be a little embarrassing when they've overloaded past our defenders through the middle and just cut me out with a pass. i feel like i can blame my defense for that though, not that it makes me feel much better.

we're playing a much better team (as a team i'd say we're better but they're one of those irritating teams who has one blitzing good player who can beat most of our guys off the dribble and just carries his whole team) than us on the weekend and our regular keeper is out (mothers day ahoy) so i'll try and all the advice in mind. will report back on Monday, pictures of bruises and all.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Lost 3-2 after being 3-nil down after about 5 minutes. Probably should have won or at least drawn but their keeper kept us out (he's an absolute cock but he's really brilliant), we had all the possession and heaps of shots but just couldn't find a way through.

Probably came out about even in goal - I think I let in two goals which I should have done better on (one was a flick header I should have come out too and another was a shot across me from an angle that I got hands too but couldn't keep out) but made three or four good blocks in one on one situations. The advice definitely helped. Thanks guys.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Broke my nose five minutes into our match today.

Went off, straightened it out, stopped the bleeding and played the rest of the match.

We tied a game we should have won by three clear goals. Our finishing was awful.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
what league do you play in shrap

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Anybody have suggestions for boots for people with big, wide feet? My shoe size is around 12.5 or 13 US (11.5 or 12 UK), and my feet are pretty wide.

Almost all Adidas shoes are too narrow for me, and my old Nike Tiempos are too small.

Maybe I should write a letter to Peter Crouch..

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Canterbury Rugby boots? I have seen the come in ridiculous boat sized dimensions.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
i have US size 14 feet. i wear nike tiempo mystic cleats. i have a nasty blood blister on the outside of my left heel. it's from planting for goal kicks. i probably have terrible form which is the cause.

so.. stay away from those i guess

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Anybody have suggestions for boots for people with big, wide feet? My shoe size is around 12.5 or 13 US (11.5 or 12 UK), and my feet are pretty wide.

Almost all Adidas shoes are too narrow for me, and my old Nike Tiempos are too small.

Maybe I should write a letter to Peter Crouch..

Adidas makes the Predators in a wide fit, other than that just go try on boots.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mang posted:

what league do you play in shrap

I play in the Garden State Soccer League in NJ.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

My new 11 a side team, which I am a founder member and player-manager of, won our first game today 7-0. I scored a solo goal and got 2 assists.

:smug::smug::smug:

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Shrapnac posted:

I play in the Garden State Soccer League in NJ.

me too, which division do you play in?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mang posted:

me too, which division do you play in?

A South as of now.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Nice. I play in B south. The level of play suits me well, but I really can't stand how disorganized the GSSL is in general. This is my third season and it seems like they just say "hey take care of scheduling/reffing yourself and let us know what happens". We haven't had a ref show up on time for a single game over the past 2 seasons.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mang posted:

Nice. I play in B south. The level of play suits me well, but I really can't stand how disorganized the GSSL is in general. This is my third season and it seems like they just say "hey take care of scheduling/reffing yourself and let us know what happens". We haven't had a ref show up on time for a single game over the past 2 seasons.

Oh cool. Yeah the organization sucks and the referees in general suck. There are maybe two or three good refs and you almost never get them because there are 5 games going on in three different levels on any given Sunday. The assignor is also one of the worst of the bunch which doesn't help.

The head of the league was actually my youth team coach 100 years ago. He's a great coach but poo poo at running a league.

outcast_p
Oct 1, 2004

My team had our first game of the session last week. 4 people called off on the last day, of the 11 (in a 7v7 league) and our goalie could not make it. What a stressful day to run a (recreational) soccer team. We were able to get the goalie from the game before us to play for us, so that was not too bad. Ended up loosing 5-2 to a team that usually kills us, so overall not bad.

I looked at the results from the rest of the league, 2 teams got rolled worse than we usually do, so those could be competitive games, and I am looking forward to it.

I also start next week in an indoor league, on sport-court with boards. I have not played in this league in years, but its going to be a lot of fun. I am better at soccer in general than I was last time I played, and I have lost 35lbs and can run faster. So I plan on actually scoring or setting up plenty of goals.

Other news, there is a local NPSL team starting in the area (buffalo, ny) and They put out to the fans to come up with a nickname for the team. I can win season tickets and a bunch of other stuff if the name I came up with wins. Anyone want to vote? its on fcbuffalo.com the name I came up with is spokes.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The Buffalo Chips.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
The Buffalo Wings

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!
Our div3 team just made top of the table after a 2-1 win against the other contenders. Went up 1 in the first half, the other team leveled midway into the 2nd and then we went up 2-1 directly off a free kick 5 minutes later - cracking goal! Feeling good :)

RedPaddy
Apr 24, 2008
Just had a game with my new regular setup, a bunch of musicians and students who hire out a cage pitch next to where I used to play league games. It's a pretty sweet deal but my game has gotten rusty again and it's not dynamic or competitive enough to be a real test. I worry I'm a little too rough or something for these guys and no one has the guts to tell me, I tend to hound people with the ball and I'm not shy about going for a lunging block. I never go for the man but it seems like just being determined about getting the ball is enough to unsettle them. Had one guy try to sweep my legs out from under me because I'd hustled him out of the ball.

By the end they were joking that I was like makelele because I was taking everything down but I think it also had to do with the fact that out of fifteen awful shots two went in and I had the touch of a rapist the whole game :negative:

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.

CAMiasm posted:

i have US size 14 feet. i wear nike tiempo mystic cleats. i have a nasty blood blister on the outside of my left heel. it's from planting for goal kicks. i probably have terrible form which is the cause.

so.. stay away from those i guess

I have size 15 Tiempos for turf that I wear that work really well, they sort of hurt the first few days when i ran but thats only because I am extremely flatfooted. Since then they have pretty much been a dream for me.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I posted this on the local discussion board in a thread about the league I play in:

quote:

If anyone asks where I was towards the end of the game, you can tell them that I left after not getting an opportunity to sub in after 45 minutes.

Dear Robin and Chris: Get hosed you shitheads. News flash: This is a recreational league and you're not Wayne Rooney and Lionel Messi. I don't care if we're "down one" or if you think I'm the worst player in the world. We all paid the same loving fee to get on this team, and we all deserve equal playing time regardless of ability. It's a loving recreational league.

Do you think I don't hear when you grumble about "subbing off the skilled players" every time I call you off to get some equal playing time for myself? If you're that loving good, I'm sure the Railhawks are looking for two strikers with inflated egos to hog all the playing time.

I tried to offer a solution where we sub every 15 minutes. When I first subbed in, I got a leering eye from one of you and a comment about how I was "going to come off again in 5 minutes." I got in about 10-15 minutes of playing time in the first half before subbing back out. Neither of you would let me start in the second half, despite the fact that you two had been on the last 20 minutes of the first half. You claimed you would sub when we scored a goal. Then we were down one, and you said you two needed to stay on because we were down one (thusly implying that I'm some horrible player that will ruin your chances at glory in the TASL C-League, what a loving joke). Then after tying up the game you still wouldn't sub out. Hey, it's 90 degree loving weather. Everyone else is subbing. You're both playing like poo poo. But I guess you still don't want to sub.

When I realized there was only 10-15 minutes left in the second half, and I had only gotten in a baker's dozen of playing minutes, I decided it wasn't worth my time to see you run around the field.

Again, get hosed. I hope you two blew some opportunities at winning the game, realized you needed a sub, and saw that I had left you out to dry. If you're not going to be a team player, neither am I.

And to the rest of the team: You're a good bunch of guys, and I enjoyed playing with you.

It was the last game of the team I got cut from. I'm still a bit fumed.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!
fair enough. i am going through the same thing in a touch football team i play for. every time i get the ball i get yelled at for some unknown reason. and then i get screamed at by other players whenever i make a mistake (although they seem to make the same mistakes and always have an excuse). i end up subbing a lot to give other guys a chance to run around but then find myself on the bench for the whole 2nd half. now that i found myself hoping my team loses, i've decided to stop playing after this season.

gently caress them. go find a team who actually goes out to have fun.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the posted:

I posted this on the local discussion board in a thread about the league I play in:

It was the last game of the team I got cut from. I'm still a bit fumed.

Way to be a miserable oval office. Even if those guys have inflated egos, nobody is going to give you any respect after you throw out your dummy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bovine Delight posted:

Way to be a miserable oval office. Even if those guys have inflated egos, nobody is going to give you any respect after you throw out your dummy.

Pretty much this. Way to air your grievances on a public message board. If I were the head of any other team in the league I wouldn't let you anywhere near my squad.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I can see what you're saying, but I don't think my "demands" (if you want to call them that) were unreasonable.

Frankly, a public airing of my grievances is nothing I'm ashamed of. They deserve to have a sign taped to their backs. I had to deal with that behavior all season when I just wanted to play.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
They're all going to laugh at you at the next game. There will be no sign on their back.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
Can you find another team? Or join an indoor league or something where you can play the majority of the game and prob only have 1 or 2 subs.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

the posted:

I can see what you're saying, but I don't think my "demands" (if you want to call them that) were unreasonable.

Frankly, a public airing of my grievances is nothing I'm ashamed of. They deserve to have a sign taped to their backs. I had to deal with that behavior all season when I just wanted to play.

Other teams would be fine with "wasn't getting enough playing time with _____" less so with "I wasn't playing and nothing happened even when I cried about it."

You have a point, but that read like something I'd expect from an overprotective parent of a fat kid, not from a self-respecting adult.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the posted:

Boohoo. Did throwing a tantrum work in grade school? No? What makes you think it will work now?

If anything, nobody is going to care about what "wrongs" these guys may have committed. All that anyone will remember from your little escapade is that you're a primadonna.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
Played for the first time since last summer today. Goddamn is my endurance shot, couldn't go more than ten minutes before I had to hang back and take it slow.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

God am I glad I had to work tonight and couldn't play 7's. My mate was telling me some dude on the other team broke his leg. He heard the snap and thought it was the shin pad breaking but then saw the guys reaction and his dangly floppy leg. Ughhhhh.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

We were short a female player today for my coed 11's and only had one male sub to boot, and ended up playing left wingback (as opposed to normal left back) in 90 degree heat. Holy gently caress is that a lot of work. Had some good runs up the wing, though, good dribbling and evading defenders, and even connected with a low but well-placed left-footed (my weaker foot, but I've been practicing) cross smack dab into the center of the penalty box, finding the center forward who then had his shot blocked. But we won 6-2, so no complaints. That was our last league game of the season, and we finished top of the table, so hello Div II!

Tired as hell and I've got a 7's game tomorrow evening, but I'll probably be in goal for that one. I HOPE I'll be in goal for that one.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

had a pretty average game last night, 7pm on a sunday, i was tired from the night before and had a nap in the afternoon. despite the fact that i absolutely needed it i felt like i spent the game in zombie mode and just couldnt get going. sprayed some pretty good ball around and was taking the ball down quite well but couldnt get my finishing going at all. Lost 3-5 to the top team. Should have been better.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lost 6-5 in 11s when we were 5-4 up with 2 minutes to go. :(

Also, Scottish players are cunts. I've yet to see a Scot who didn't argue with the ref over every single decision through the entire match. The team yesterday appealed every single time the ball went out of play, every time any of their players got tackled, every time someone chested the ball down, every single time one of our players won a header, every time anyone made a through pass, it was ridiculous. Also standing over the ball every time we had a free kick and blocking off our keeper every time he tried to kick the ball out of his hands (despite repeated warnings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Scikar posted:

Lost 6-5 in 11s when we were 5-4 up with 2 minutes to go. :(

Also, Scottish players are cunts. I've yet to see a Scot who didn't argue with the ref over every single decision through the entire match. The team yesterday appealed every single time the ball went out of play, every time any of their players got tackled, every time someone chested the ball down, every single time one of our players won a header, every time anyone made a through pass, it was ridiculous. Also standing over the ball every time we had a free kick and blocking off our keeper every time he tried to kick the ball out of his hands (despite repeated warnings).

What kind of a keeper lets that happen more than once? That makes Mad Jens cry.