Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

It did eventually stop when he took a kick anyway, made sure to follow through and we got the resulting free kick. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Scikar posted:

It did eventually stop when he took a kick anyway, made sure to follow through and we got the resulting free kick. :)

I don't understand why people gently caress with goalies. They pretty much have free license to punch/kick/barge you whenever they feel like it and get the resulting call in their favor.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Hi there. This is my first season playing football and I'm on my agencies city league team. I've been playing as a defender. Do any of you have advice for how I can better handle multiple attackers?

I think I am aggressive and hound the ball a bit too much, how close on should I get to it? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm super new to playing.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
It depends on the position of the attackers as well as where you are on the field. I would say if you arent in a dangerous area (30 yards and out) your biggest responsibility is to keep the play in front of you. You can afford to drop off in a 2 v 1 situation because your biggest fear isnt a 30 yard bomb for a goal, its applying pressure and giving up a breakaway.

If your 18 or so yards in you need to apply pressure to the ball. What you want to do is try to hedge him away from the middle, and hopefully take away a passing angle to the other attacker. Applying pressure doesnt mean full sprint at him, it simply means being in an athletic stance and not giving up much ground when he attacks you.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

That makes sense, I've probably been coming on too strong then.

Our team doesn't have a manager/coach or anything so I haven't been receiving a lot of guidance... I mostly just watch and try and follow suit.

Some of the players in the city have amazing footwork, I have really struggled to keep up with them... I just need to get smarter with anticipating their plays and not letting them fake me out.

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
Watch the game as often as you can. This was my biggest fault as a kid because I was always out playing other sports when I wasnt playing football.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

I don't understand why people gently caress with goalies. They pretty much have free license to punch/kick/barge you whenever they feel like it and get the resulting call in their favor.

Depends on the ref. I got undercut while catching a cross with no foul called quite a few times last season.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Woof! Woof! posted:

That makes sense, I've probably been coming on too strong then.

Our team doesn't have a manager/coach or anything so I haven't been receiving a lot of guidance... I mostly just watch and try and follow suit.

Some of the players in the city have amazing footwork, I have really struggled to keep up with them... I just need to get smarter with anticipating their plays and not letting them fake me out.

Angles angles angles.

It's a lot harder for a player to pass through you than around you.

In a 2 on 1 situation you're hosed most of the time but if you can force the guy with the ball to go to goal as opposed to playing the ball to the free man you're probably in a better position. Once the player with the ball commits to going to goal you're on him 100%. Before that you want to hedge yourself, unless of course he's in a position to shoot already.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
got an assist on the game winner yesterday, the team was freaking the gently caress out because we have had a really hard season and we just want to win some games in the dang league cup.

first game of 7s on thursday, is it much different from full sides other than the tempo?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mang posted:

got an assist on the game winner yesterday, the team was freaking the gently caress out because we have had a really hard season and we just want to win some games in the dang league cup.

Heh, we tied 2-2 yesterday. We actually got a favorable draw in the cup for the first time. The team we played beat us 5-4(after we were up 4-0) and 3-2(after we were up 2-0) in the league during the season so it felt good to come back from 2-0 down and get a draw.

I would have scored the winner late but they picked up the best goalie I've seen in five years in the league and he made a ridiculous save on me.

Oh well, gotta get a win next week and we should be ok for the next round.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
got a black eye today. had a concussion last monday, too. got a nasty blood blister on my left heel and both my knees are bruised and cut up. someone stomped my right forearm today and now it's swollen as well.

being a fearless keeper behind a terrible back line has gotten me pretty beat up!

can't wait to play tomorrow :D

e: what i really need are those 3/4 length padded keeper pants. those'd help out a little

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Got my 3rd and probably last long distance game tonight. I'll play football anywhere but a 80 mile round trip once a week is a bit too much of a drain. It also looks like I'm going to be renting my own flat soon so gonna have to watch the finances.

First week I was schooling the game, spraying about passes and chipping in with 4 goals which is unusual for me being a somewhat inept footballer. Of course that was 5 v 4. Last week I was honking making silly mistakes in defence, getting dispossessed everytime I dribbled upfield and without a shout on target.

Its not like the standard is any higher than back at home. Of course it helps that our rival teams best player apparently used to be on the books at Arsenal but had to give it up due to hearing difficulties. Sounds like a made up story but I could almost believe it given how difficult it is to get the ball away from him.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Played last night with work, hosed up my knee again, so I'll be missing the kickabout with my team tonight again, two weeks in a row. So loving annoying. It just seems to happen when I shift my weight onto my left leg in a certain way, like if I'm turning or something. I told the guy in work who organises it that I can't play with them anymore, I can't keep doing my knee in on a Monday and not being able to play on a Tuesday.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

what's with everyone getting injured so badly all the time, i play two or three times a week and only come up with bruises.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

My knee feels much better now, I think all the bicycling must have fixed it. Stoked for Thursday night and a full on 11 vs 11 match again.

I've been lucky that I've never gotten a real injury, except for that one time I rolled my ankle while playing floorball and broke a bone in my foot. That hurt a lot for a long time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

hughsieblingwish posted:

what's with everyone getting injured so badly all the time, i play two or three times a week and only come up with bruises.
I'm old and fat.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

loving horrible game of 7s last night. Was in goal for most of the first half and was fairly pleased with my positioning, forcing at least two shots from fairly severe angles to go wide and stopping a few others. But even so I let four in, three of which came from them taking the ball down the wing almost to the touch line and giving an easy pass to someone coming right up the center, unmarked. The fourth was a humiliating high, looping ball hit from the half line that slipped right through my gloves. :downs:

So question for goalies: In that situation, with the ball having come down the wing and the attacker cutting in along the touch line and closing in on goal, I position myself just outside the near post to either avoid having a shot deflected into the net or prevent the shot altogether. Isn't this right? Everything I've read says to do this, but of course it leaves the entire face of the goal open for a quick pass back up to the top of the area and an easy one-touch in. But if the sweeper's doing his job, then there shouldn't BE an unmarked attacker standing in the box. And if the near-post fullback's doing HIS job, then there shouldn't be a pass inside, either.

Ended up losing 7-2, thanks to an own goal from one of the forwards and the next goalie getting nutmegged twice.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

hughsieblingwish posted:

Pretty much all I've had is the tendinitis from playing 5 days a week for too long. Back down to 2 or 3 games now and I'm fine. All I've managed besides that is occasionally rolling an ankle which is sore for a couple of days and that's it. I'm not exactly a fearless, tough tackling centre back though.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Scikar posted:

Lost 6-5 in 11s when we were 5-4 up with 2 minutes to go. :(

Also, Scottish players are cunts. I've yet to see a Scot who didn't argue with the ref over every single decision through the entire match. The team yesterday appealed every single time the ball went out of play, every time any of their players got tackled, every time someone chested the ball down, every single time one of our players won a header, every time anyone made a through pass, it was ridiculous. Also standing over the ball every time we had a free kick and blocking off our keeper every time he tried to kick the ball out of his hands (despite repeated warnings).

I play with a large group of mostly Jamaicans several times a week. We play small nets, goalie no-hands, and the keeper has to call goalline outs. We have no refs. Everything is on the honor system. You don't know how good you have it.

And gently caress me, soccer (American fan :downs:) is such a bitch after you haven't played competitively in nearly a decade. I wasn't even great to begin with, but deteriorated skills AND trying to overcome my lack of conditioning due to drinking is a huge loving task. I started playing D because I can dribble worth a drat anymore (and there's a lot of good players on a small field). I have absolutely no control or one touch pass anymore. I still play pretty good d though!

And injuries, yeah, I got a real nice knee-to-knee last week. poo poo still loving hurts. I got dinged on the knee like three times in as many days.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I play with a large group of mostly Jamaicans several times a week. We play small nets, goalie no-hands, and the keeper has to call goalline outs. We have no refs. Everything is on the honor system. You don't know how good you have it.

And gently caress me, soccer (American fan :downs:) is such a bitch after you haven't played competitively in nearly a decade. I wasn't even great to begin with, but deteriorated skills AND trying to overcome my lack of conditioning due to drinking is a huge loving task. I started playing D because I can dribble worth a drat anymore (and there's a lot of good players on a small field). I have absolutely no control or one touch pass anymore. I still play pretty good d though!

And injuries, yeah, I got a real nice knee-to-knee last week. poo poo still loving hurts. I got dinged on the knee like three times in as many days.

I play small net with a mixed group of somali, christian kenyan and arab kids. It takes us hours just to break into teams. Even worse, the somali kids will stop play anytime you make contact, but will happily grip your shirt or collar and choke you off the ball.

But hey, at least they will play with me, I got mugged for playing on the mexican field (one of the only full size public fields around)

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Woof! Woof! posted:

I play small net with a mixed group of somali, christian kenyan and arab kids. It takes us hours just to break into teams. Even worse, the somali kids will stop play anytime you make contact, but will happily grip your shirt or collar and choke you off the ball.

Oh yeah, I get that too. Real fun stuff. Certain guys throw hissy fits if they're not with their butt buddies (mind you, at 25, I'm one of the youngest there).

I've found the best way to deal with the dudes who balk at contact but dish it out is to make sure you plant their rear end down early. Boxing out guys drives them insane. I'm still surprised no idiot has tried 'swinging' at me yet. 95% of them are your stereotypical floppy soccer players that everyone hates. I've seen a few fights, and they all start and end with slaps.

There's also this one old white dude who is loving terrible but thinks he's great, and yells at everyone for being out of position when he doesn't have a clue what's going on. He plays D, and is captain when he comes since he bought the permit. He ALWAYS picks me and my friend (another dman) because we're one of the few who play defense. And proceeds to always leave us out to dry.

I'm bitching about htis a lot, but I'm really upset now because it's raining and we likely won't play today :( It's an obession for me once again. I want to get a Rossi jersey for Italy, but we're red/yellow teams and I don't want no stupid villareal jersey :colbert:

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

Lazlow posted:

*keeper issuez*

your positioning sounds good to defend against shots. how far out on the wing are they when they pass it? if they're almost near the sidelines (touchlines, apparently), you don't have to worry about a shot as much as you have to worry about a cross. it's easier to come forward than it is to go backward. if they're almost at the touchline, i'll position myself similarly to when i'm defending against a corner kick.

remember that as the keeper, you have the best view of the action. you need to be shouting at your team to let them know what you're seeing. if you see an unmarked man sprinting down the center of the field, yell at one of your teammates to pick him up.

a shot shouldn't slip through your hands. are you wetting your gloves before you play? do you have proper catching technique?

http://www.jbgoalkeeping.com/catch.html

-i've been playing for 4 months, so take my advice with a grain of salt. anyone else have anything to add?

Isosceles
Oct 31, 2004
The triangle philosopher

Lazlow posted:

loving horrible game of 7s last night. Was in goal for most of the first half and was fairly pleased with my positioning, forcing at least two shots from fairly severe angles to go wide and stopping a few others. But even so I let four in, three of which came from them taking the ball down the wing almost to the touch line and giving an easy pass to someone coming right up the center, unmarked. The fourth was a humiliating high, looping ball hit from the half line that slipped right through my gloves. :downs:

So question for goalies: In that situation, with the ball having come down the wing and the attacker cutting in along the touch line and closing in on goal, I position myself just outside the near post to either avoid having a shot deflected into the net or prevent the shot altogether. Isn't this right? Everything I've read says to do this, but of course it leaves the entire face of the goal open for a quick pass back up to the top of the area and an easy one-touch in. But if the sweeper's doing his job, then there shouldn't BE an unmarked attacker standing in the box. And if the near-post fullback's doing HIS job, then there shouldn't be a pass inside, either.

Ended up losing 7-2, thanks to an own goal from one of the forwards and the next goalie getting nutmegged twice.

I think you're okay in your positioning but you should keep an eye on unmarked players in the back and really give it your defenders if someone is left open like that. Just let a defender know, as in, call them by name, and tell them what to do specifically. That way you can be seethe in your self-righteous anger when they gently caress up.

In smaller pitches I'm a big believer in rushing out but I wouldn't do it against someone on the touchline unless I'm certain I'll get the ball.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Good consistent game from me tonight. One of the players on my team, Mike, seemed eager to defend and kept encouraging me to push up so I was playing the Jody Morris style defensive mid.

Scored 2 goals. One was a half hearted medium ranger which the keeper should have prevented from bundling into the bottom corner. Second was a through ball from Mike to exploit the gap I created with a run between defenders. One touch finish, straight into bottom left corner. Clinical.

My mate who invited me to play said I got a couple of goal-saving tackles against him but I don't even remember that part. Way too stoned at the time.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Isosceles posted:

I think you're okay in your positioning but you should keep an eye on unmarked players in the back and really give it your defenders if someone is left open like that. Just let a defender know, as in, call them by name, and tell them what to do specifically. That way you can be seethe in your self-righteous anger when they gently caress up.

In smaller pitches I'm a big believer in rushing out but I wouldn't do it against someone on the touchline unless I'm certain I'll get the ball.

Yeah anyone who has ever played before won't get mad at a goalie yelling out open guys. My buddy and I coach, and we've conditioned our goalie (who is very very good) to scream at everything and everyone :allears:

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

If your conceding goals to cut out passes from the wing to open players pushing through the middle the issue is more with your defenders not pushing back hard enough. Yell the gently caress out of them. That's what I do.

Filled in for a friends team last night, Played a bit in goal and didn't concede anything which was nice but I was pretty fortunate that most of their threat came from through balls I was able to cut out reasonably well. Got away with a mega handball outside the area though. Came onto the field and scored by going round the keeper, woo. First time ever. Lost 6-3 though, it should have been closer - hit the bar about a dozen times and so many shots cleared off the line.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A week and a half of games canceled because the fields are basically underwater. gently caress you spring rains!

And now that the weather is clearing up I have to go on a business trip for a week :(

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Thanks for all the feedback, guys, it at least helps justify my righteous seething, as one of you said. I think I mentioned I'm not a keeper but am suddenly default backup keeper for my coed team, and having played keeper all of once at work (over a year ago at that, we don't even play with keepers there anymore except for this evening league) was picked for that as well, although we have been rotating a little and I'm hoping to stay at defender tonight.

To answer the questions: I did wet my gloves, actually, and I had my hands in the W or diamond as best I could, and stopped a couple of straight-on shots. The one I missed went more over the tops of my fingers due to me not getting back enough, I think. It wasn't a shot, it was more a high cross that dive-bombed behind me and to my left. I was out at the top of the six-yard box when he hit it because he was way out at the half line.

When the attackers are far out on the wing I do watch for a cross more than a pass. However, the field isn't full size so it's not unreasonable to see a pass from that distance. In these cases the other night, though, they were pretty close up due to either beating the fullback or rounding him out by the corner, so I covered for the shot. The center back (at that time) was non-existent the entire first half, basically. He's an inexperienced oaf who insists he's the best player on the field yet can't receive a pass, can't move the ball, refuses to run, and spent his entire time as "sweeper" in the opponent's half of the field, much of it in the attacking third crowding the forwards.

Whenever I'm keeper I DO yell a lot, mainly because the keeper I play with the most isn't very vocal at all and I hate that. It's hard, though, with a center back like I just mentioned who's out of earshot most of the time, refuses to listen anyway, and pretty much has no idea what he's doing at all: I told him that as last man it's his responsibility to make sure no one runs into the area unmarked like that, his response was that when he pushes up he can't be expected to cover the center back. I said you're the loving CENTER BACK, you cover the CENTER BACK, you don't push up, especially when we're playing 3-2-1. Couple that with a right back who kept sprinting up into the penalty area just chasing the ball around and you can't be surprised at the loss.

Anyway that's done with, tonight's another game and hopefully the sucky players won't show.

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!
Got my first game back in Perth after the death that is 45 hours travelling. Luckily, I am not starting like last time I came back. Wish me luck gunes.

unicron
Oct 6, 2004

Eatin' planets, fightin', and drinkin' 'round the world!

Sir Charles posted:

Got my first game back in Perth after the death that is 45 hours travelling. Luckily, I am not starting like last time I came back. Wish me luck gunes.

where did you travel from that a trip to Perth took 45 hours? Are we talking Perth, Australia here?

Sir Charles
Apr 25, 2006
Can't...seem to...penetrate the fabric...must be...some kind of...polyester weave!
From Wisconsin. I am talking total travel time, not just flying. Milwaukee - LA - Sydney(where Qantas hosed me over) - Perth.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lost 9-0 this morning.

Holy poo poo, lol, etc. right? No.

We had seven total players. Six field players, the legal minimum to play.

Yeah it loving sucked but we actually played pretty well. We had a half dozen chances on goal and actually moved the ball really well. It helped that the guys that showed up were probably the ones with the best footballing brains. We would have beaten the team we played by a few goals if we had a full strength side.

I was actually really proud of our guys for how we played but I'm absolutely exhausted right now. I was playing center back, left back, left midfield, and striker at the same time, heh.

I also lost three studs on my SG boots which sucks, and I didn't realize it until I went to cut by a guy and fell flat on my face. Luckily I had my FGs with me too. Gonna write Puma a nasty letter and see if I can get some free poo poo.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll hopefully get to see Gary Neville playing in real life since Manchester United are bringing themselves to Perth for Alan Mains testimonial match. Doubtful that there will be a lot of first team players so Neville at least is in with a shout.

Anyway, game tonight. I'm not in peak condition for this one given that I've been weightlifting today and have been targetting my legs for the first time in a while. I can feel the tightness in my hamstrings already. Should probably take it easy tonight.

Thing is I kind of just want to run about tonight. I treat this as more of a fitness excercise than anything most of the time. I'm generally inept with the football in my possession so I just try and do as much as I can for the team in terms of running about, closing down other people and making space for the better players.

Oh poo poo, I'm Gary Neville.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lost 11-1. :(

All but one of my first choice defenders were missing due to either work or injury, including the first choice keeper and all three backup keepers. Meanwhile every player I tell to play as a holding midfielder seems to interpret it as "get forward as often as you like and don't worry about tracking back". The only person the defence was happy with at doing it was me, and I'm 67kg and 5'10" so even though I was at least positioned well I couldn't do a great deal.

More Scottish cuntery: a striker broke through our defence and was tripped cynically. Definitely a yellow and nobody argued with it, but he went absolutely ballistic and threatened to kill our defender over it, for which he was also booked. Less than five minutes later I beat one guy, move into space and he just swings and takes my legs out from under me, from behind. The ref blows his whistle for an obvious free kick and Mr oval office starts whinging that there was nothing wrong with the challenge.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

Won 4-3 last night. Deceptively close, they scored a goal in the last second from a side ball which clipped our goalkeeper on the shoulder and at one point it should really have been 5-1. My brother 'scored' a goal, which clearly went over the line then bounced back out. Everyone stopped, we ran off celebrating whilst one guy from the opposition just ran down the other end and scored a goal. Everyone else, even the majority of our opponents were 'what the loving?' all over the place, the opposition goalkeeper told the ref that it was over the line. To no avail.

Didnt have the best game, hit the post and moved the ball okay but the 3 hour training with the under-13's I'd run the day before had given me a sore knee. couldnt get any quick lateral movement off my right (dominant) side. Didnt help that I got hacked down early in the second half and ended up with both a sore knee and throbbing ankle.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
I finished top scorer of my league yesterday! with 24 goals in 29 appearances :)

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

DrakeD posted:

I finished top scorer of my league yesterday! with 24 goals in 29 appearances :)

So, what's your style? (Fat) Ronaldo, Rooney or Inzaghi?

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

euroboy posted:

So, what's your style? (Fat) Ronaldo, Rooney or Inzaghi?

I'd say maybe Pato, or Henry. I like playing on the flanks and am really really good at counterattacking since I can run pretty fast even with the ball. I've got good technique and dribbling, and a decent shot, and I can provide assists to my attacking partner(s).
I suck really bad at headers and am not exactly great with my left foot, and I can't score penalties for poo poo, which is why i almost never take them. Also I tend to never track back, except when the team is in absolute emergency.
I also have poo poo luck, considering i hit the post/crossbar a whopping 14 times during the season (yes, i DID count them)

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

DrakeD posted:

I also have poo poo luck, considering i hit the post/crossbar a whopping 14 times during the season (yes, i DID count them)

Robin van Persie, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
We've had consecutive 1-1 draws against good sides, but other results have fallen our way and we now sit top on GD, although one point separates the entire top four. It's not quite squeaky bum time yet, but we play the team second to us this week.