Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
As long as previous owners took care of it, no, the miles shouldn't make a huge difference. Judging that, however, is going to be up to your discretion. If I were you, I would try and find someone to look it over for me if you don't have any experience with bikes.

Also, I'd offer $700.

edit: new page :argh:
edit 2: "doesnt like the cold," means "I don't take care of my bike and the carbs are gummed up." Even though cleaning them is a simple procedure, I'd be wary of buying from him if I were just starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Uh, isn't that 12k miles?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the chinaman posted:

Found a 98 Ninja ex250 http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1740678718.html

The seller lives close to the high school where I'm taking the MSF, and he's going to bring it by after the riding portion. The seller's looking for $1000, but considering it has 124k miles on it and the body's in pretty crappy shape, I was going to offer $750. Is it even worth that much? Should the number of miles on it be a concern?

That's 12k miles, not 124k. The white digit signifies 1/10ths of a mile.

All stock 250s don't like the cold. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Seems like a good deal at 750$, an ok one at 1000$.

Edit: Not a big deal as long as once it gets warmed up it'll idle/rev with the choke off.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 15, 2010

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's what I get for not examining the picture, I even forgot they can't roll over to xxx,xxx :downs:

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1732580477.html

I'm looking for a 400sm, but don't know if a bunch of mods should be a turn off. How does it affect gas mileage or reliability? It's going to be my first bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

lwoodio posted:

I'm looking for a 400sm, but don't know if a bunch of mods should be a turn off. How does it affect gas mileage or reliability? It's going to be my first bike.

It shouldn't affect it significantly. You're still looking at a dead reliable engine. You've probably lost 5ish mpg with the jet kit, but have made up for it with a much better spread of power and throttle response. Could probably still get 50ish mpg out of it with careful riding. Besides that, the rest of the mods are great functional/protective increases.

Seems a little on the high side, but a nicely set up bike with a fair number of nice mods. Maybe try and talk him down a few hundred? Besides that, it looks like it's great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lwoodio posted:

For some bikes, maybe, but those are all known, standard mods for that bike that you'd probably want to do anyway. (I sure do.)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

the chinaman posted:

Found a 98 Ninja ex250 http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1740678718.html

The seller lives close to the high school where I'm taking the MSF, and he's going to bring it by after the riding portion. The seller's looking for $1000, but considering it has 124k miles on it and the body's in pretty crappy shape, I was going to offer $750. Is it even worth that much? Should the number of miles on it be a concern?

Actually, unless my monitor is dying, that only has 12.5k miles.

But I would be more concerned about the "doesn't like the cold" comment and the body damage.

That poor bike has lived a hard life. It might be worth checking out, but be ready to walk away.

edit: Beaten, many times over. A word to the wise, don't drink and post.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Flint Ironstag posted:

Actually, unless my monitor is dying, that only has 12.5k miles.

But I would be more concerned about the "doesn't like the cold" comment and the body damage.

That poor bike has lived a hard life. It might be worth checking out, but be ready to walk away.

edit: Beaten, many times over. A word to the wise, don't drink and post.

A wiser word, don't drink and post then admit to it in a post. :ssh:

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004
Thanks for the correction guys :downs:.

I took a look at it yesterday and offered him $700. He's waiting on one more person's offer before he makes a decision. The body was in pretty bad shape, but I figure $700 for a running bike is a pretty good deal, right? I'll find out soon enough if I have something to practice on. Meanwhile, the 2nd day of riding awaits :).

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
So, I got lazy and decided just to sell the ex500 project I picked up.

For a $140 profit.

After I took parts off, including plastics.

:v:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

AncientTV posted:

So, I got lazy and decided just to sell the ex500 project I picked up.

For a $140 profit.

After I took parts off, including plastics.

:v:

Step 1: Collect motorcycles.
Step 2: . . .
Step 3: Profit!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Step 1: Collect motorcycles.
Step 2: . . .
Step 3: Profit!

Step 2: Perform hundreds of hours of labor
Step 3: Profit $100.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Weinertron posted:

That's what I was expecting, but it worked out to about ~2 hours of labor :coal:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weinertron posted:

Yeah you only do this if you're a dumbass like me and take a completely broken down supersport on as a project.

Cheap bikes are where it's at, I made more money on a 500$ F2 than I did on a 3500$ ZX6R, in 1/10th of the time. :sigh: Lessons learned.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

lwoodio posted:

I was looking at this as you posted, as a possible bike for myself. Upon some more research, this is being sold by an ADVrider member, more pics and info available on it here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570352.

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004
Passed the MSF and got the bike for $700! I took a quick trip around the neighborhood afterwards. drat, this is fun!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

AncientTV posted:

edit 2: "doesnt like the cold," means "I don't take care of my bike and the carbs are gummed up." Even though cleaning them is a simple procedure, I'd be wary of buying from him if I were just starting out.

Flint Ironstag posted:

Ninja 250s don't like the cold. All of them. It's just how they are. You can futz with the mixture screws to make it better, but they are all cold blooded as hell until you do that.

the chinaman
Oct 25, 2004
That's good to know. Since I'm in Texas, I won't have to worry about that outside of 2 month during the year.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

the chinaman posted:

That's good to know. Since I'm in Texas, I won't have to worry about that outside of 2 month during the year.

FYI: Cold to a 250 is anything below 70°F.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The 500s are almost the same way, but drat :monocle:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

AncientTV posted:

The 500s are almost the same way

How cold are we talking here? My Vulcan 500, which I understand has basically the same engine as the Ninja 500, seems to be fine on 50 degree mornings.

Cry For More Fish
Mar 21, 2003

Then I lost to a guy and it changed my life. I swore I would never lose to a guy in a wheelchair again
I'm possibly about to pick up a 91 DR350 (not S) from a local guy to learn on for $1400. My only concern is that I'm a short dude, 5'4" with a 28 inch inseam or so.

The guy who has it right now has the seat all the way up. At that setting, it's about 3 inches too high for me to plant my foot flat.

The easy things to do are to lower the seat height and replace the seat. Is that enough to get me 3 inches lower? I see that there exist koubalinks as a backup plan, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort since I can always get some different smaller bike.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

eviljelly posted:

How cold are we talking here? My Vulcan 500, which I understand has basically the same engine as the Ninja 500, seems to be fine on 50 degree mornings.

It is actually exactly the same engine. It's more that my choke is kind of jacked and I've yet to fix it, but yea, anything below 50 is a play-with-the-idle-screw start.

Definitely not anywhere near 70 though, sheesh.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Oh, I was looking to get an FI bike because mine refuses to start below 42ish degrees, guess I've got it good!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Cry For More Fish posted:

I'm possibly about to pick up a 91 DR350 (not S) from a local guy to learn on for $1400. My only concern is that I'm a short dude, 5'4" with a 28 inch inseam or so.

The guy who has it right now has the seat all the way up. At that setting, it's about 3 inches too high for me to plant my foot flat.

The easy things to do are to lower the seat height and replace the seat. Is that enough to get me 3 inches lower? I see that there exist koubalinks as a backup plan, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort since I can always get some different smaller bike.
I've got about 400 miles under my belt now, and I'm to the point where I'm of the belief that 'flatfooting is overrated'. If you can get the ball of your foot on one side, and the tiptoes of the other while centered in the seat, you'll do juuust fine.

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and I took my MSF on a KLX250SF Motard with a 33.9" seat height - something that I thought was *impossibly* tall when I first sat on a bike last fall. The KLX is 302 pounds, your DR will be a good 50 pounds lighter than that. Leaning the bike over a little, sliding slightly off the seat, and having one knee bent, and the other straight-legged for long stops won't be a problem (That sounds awkward, but it came natural to me after about 3 hours of stop-and-go on the KLX, and now it's second nature.)

I'd start with whatever on-bike seat adjustments there are - I'll be that you'll be comfortable enough with your mad skillz that you'll be going back up to the "up" height in a month or two.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Cry For More Fish posted:

Whats also important is making sure you know the proper kickstart routine, and if you are capable of starting the bike up. Early DR350s were complete bitches to kickstart- something about a smaller sprocket on the early models. My '91 was a bastard, and none of my shorter friends had long enough legs or leverage to be able to kick it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

I've got about 400 miles under my belt now, and I'm to the point where I'm of the belief that 'flatfooting is overrated'. If you can get the ball of your foot on one side, and the tiptoes of the other while centered in the seat, you'll do juuust fine.

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and I took my MSF on a KLX250SF Motard with a 33.9" seat height - something that I thought was *impossibly* tall when I first sat on a bike last fall. The KLX is 302 pounds, your DR will be a good 50 pounds lighter than that. Leaning the bike over a little, sliding slightly off the seat, and having one knee bent, and the other straight-legged for long stops won't be a problem (That sounds awkward, but it came natural to me after about 3 hours of stop-and-go on the KLX, and now it's second nature.)

I'd start with whatever on-bike seat adjustments there are - I'll be that you'll be comfortable enough with your mad skillz that you'll be going back up to the "up" height in a month or two.

DR is about 50 pounds heavier than the KLX250. Also, seat height doesn't tell the entire story...it's measured unloaded, so when you sit on a motorcycle with long travel suspension, you can drop 2-4 inches of seat height just under your weight alone...plus there's the narrowness of the seat to take into account as well.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Been waiting for a couple months now for a sub-$1000 motorcycle deal to show up on Craigslist. Now there are a couple...

quote:

'86 Yamaha Radian YX600 - Great Condition, 12Kmi

I'm the original owner (yep - 23 years) and have all the paperwork. No crashes, good rubber/chain, pulls strong. 12,600mi.
Had major carb overhaul at 11,500 miles.
Perfect for SF and light commuting. Includes disk brake lock and Clymer Service Manual.
Cash in hand and M1 to test ride.

quote:

1980 Honda CB750(F/C)

This bike would make a great bike build, it was my project for awhile and runs, It is a 1980 Honda cb750 Dohc with 20k miles, The bike is all complete has been sitting needs a battery or good charge, I collected some bike parts over the months for it such as: Cbr 600rr wheels, a solo seat, a set of exhaust slip on pipes and a 72 cb750 tank. I would take $750 for the whole package, the cbr wheels and tires go for over $300 alone, I was going to put them on to give it the fat tire look. Lost title will provide bill of sale. Bring truck or trailer or I may deliver in the city for small fee. Respond by E-mail, thanks for looking!

The first one is $900 and the second is $700. The Honda needs some "tlc" according to the seller.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

No title, no sale.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Beware of the mid-80s YamahaHAHAHAHAHAHA electrics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

No title, no sale.
Seriously how do you "lose" a title? Go to the DMV or whatever and get a new one. They SHOULD have proof of you owning it, right?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Endless Mike posted:

Seriously how do you "lose" a title? Go to the DMV or whatever and get a new one. They SHOULD have proof of you owning it, right?

Yeah, unless you are talking about something incredibly rare to make the hassle worth the trouble of straightening it out, just walk away if the paperwork isn't right.

The bikes most of us will be buying are mass produced, so even if you have your heart set on a particular year/make/model, there will be another one along soon.

Don't fall in love with a machine, at least one you don't own yet.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1748208764.html

quote:

I have a 1977 Kawasaki KZ400. Its a great little bike. Needs a little work but not much. Battery needs replaced, needs new chain, needs the shifter lever spring replaced, needs new back tire, and needs carbs cleaned and adjusted. It runs great as is but with a little work it will run alot better. I am only asking $750 I reallly need the money which is the only reason I am selling it. Lowballers will be laughed at. Yes I need the money but I know what my bike is worth! If you are intrested please feel free to call or text me at. E-mails will not answered! No spam please. Also please do not waste my time their will be no test ride unless you have money in hand.

He offered me a helmet, trickle charger, cover, and transport to my place for $800, but the KBB value for an excellent condition kz400 of this year is only $700, so I am going to offer him $500.

What do you guys think?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

How can something run "great" but with a little work run "a lot better"? What's a lot better than great?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

frozenphil posted:

How can something run "great" but with a little work run "a lot better"? What's a lot better than great?

Excellent. :smugbert:

I think that's a lot of little stuff that will add up. None of them alone would be too worrisome, but all of them? Especially since nearly all of that could be done with little effort on his part. Tells me he might not have taken care of it. Might be worth $500, IF you can see it start up from cold (perhaps with a jump - seriously, putting a new battery in a bike is the easiest loving thing in the world, why doesn't it have one?).

The more I think of it, the more there's something that doesn't smell quite right. Maybe if he's willing to do some of that himself, then you can offer him more.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Doctor Zero posted:

Excellent. :smugbert:

I think that's a lot of little stuff that will add up. None of them alone would be too worrisome, but all of them? Especially since nearly all of that could be done with little effort on his part. Tells me he might not have taken care of it. Might be worth $500, IF you can see it start up from cold (perhaps with a jump - seriously, putting a new battery in a bike is the easiest loving thing in the world, why doesn't it have one?).

The more I think of it, the more there's something that doesn't smell quite right. Maybe if he's willing to do some of that himself, then you can offer him more.

He said it needs to be kicked, so I guess the battery is no good at all?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Stoic Commie posted:

He said it needs to be kicked, so I guess the battery is no good at all?

Ah could be. Still, a battery is like $45 and 5 minutes to put it in. So why hasn't he replaced it? Same with the chain. When easy things are wrong and the seller hasn't bothered to fix them it should give you pause.

"All it needs is a battery" can also be code for "Something really horrible is bad with this bike, so I don't want you trying to start it to be able to tell." "Needs carb cleaning" can also be code for "This engine is totally shot, but I don't want you to know that." Having both in the same description gives me the chills.

Having said that, sometimes that's all it needs is a battery and a carb cleaning. The problem is it's hard to know if it's true or not until its too late.

$500 isn't a bad price to gamble with, in my opinion. Keep in mind that you know for sure that you need a battery, chain, and back tire. I'd call that maybe $300. So right there $750 for a bike in good condition - $300 = $450. That's assuming that there is nothing else horrible with it. Having it started from cold in front of you will go a long way toward reducing your fears.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Actually, the charging system could be hosed. That'd be easily another 100-200$, and I wouldn't put it past that. This is the downside to kickstarts, they make bikes with torched charging systems appear to work as long as the charging system still puts out enough to fire the plugs (which it almost always does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
He said he wouldn't go below $675, I said no. The search continues for another summer.

I wouldn't have bought it anyway without being able to see that the electric start works.