Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Sebbe posted:

I've been working a bit on some sorting algorithm visualization, á la these Java ones.

It's done in Python with PyGame, available on github if you're curious; or you could just watch an example of it running quicksort without having to download anything:

I've always enjoyed watching sorting algorithms at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Pfhreak posted:

I've always enjoyed watching sorting algorithms at work.
The old Mac QuickBasic sample one played sound too, with pitch corresponding to the value of sorted elements.

Heap sort was pretty trippy.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Sebbe posted:

I've been working a bit on some sorting algorithm visualization, á la these Java ones.

It's done in Python with PyGame, available on github if you're curious; or you could just watch an example of it running quicksort without having to download anything:

Have you considered using Cairo to render instead? It seems to work well for static sorting visualizations: http://corte.si//posts/code/visualisingsorting/index.html

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Have you considered using Cairo to render instead? It seems to work well for static sorting visualizations: http://corte.si//posts/code/visualisingsorting/index.html

I mostly went with PyGame because of the sheer simplicity of doing what I wanted in it, really. Based on what I can see in libsortvis, Cairo looks quite a bit heavier to dance with.

For instance, to set the background of my canvas:
code:
self.window.fill((255, 255, 255))
As opposed to this excerpt from graph.py:
code:
def background(self, r, g, b):
    c = self.ctx()
    c.set_source_rgb(r, g, b)
    c.rectangle(0, 0, self.width, self.height)
    c.fill()
    c.stroke()
My reason for switching to Python was actually the simplicity with which I could draw things with PyGame, so I doubt I'll be switching to something else, as it seems pretty much as simple as can be.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Not really a screenshot, but it's my topic so I get to post whatever I want! :P

For a university project, I'm working on making "learn how to play a song" device that accepts any MIDI-compatible keyboard. Right now I'm only showing the midi messages on the LEDs but soon it will tell you which note to play, make a sound and show a "check" or a "cross" on the LED array on the right depending on if you played the note correctly.

It's so much fun

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
First results from a terrain generation project. The texturing looks like rear end right now, but it runs. I also have working tech demos that do LOD adjustment and quadtree culling so once the texture issues are cleaned up I'll be ready to combine them all.

edit: Worked on it a bit more, textures now look slightly less terrible.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 17, 2010

SPACE CARBS
Jan 15, 2010

by Ozma
A beginning.

SPACE CARBS fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 18, 2010

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

^^^^ I love those stars, how did you make them/where did you find them?

Finally have something postable, this is my first nice looking 3d L-system. Next step is to find a few aspects to randomize the growth a bit and then lay a couple of these bushes randomly on top of some uneven terrain.

SPACE CARBS
Jan 15, 2010

by Ozma

reasonable form posted:

^^^^ I love those stars, how did you make them/where did you find them?

1) took a picture of some outer space from google images
2) inverted it
3) brought the darkest black down to a grey
4) crushed the levels until the space between the stars was mostly white
5) used a feathered selection to fade out to alpha-channel
6) CSS-pinned them to the corner and background layer

I am almost graduated with a major in graphic design, but I programmed from early childhood to high school.
I'm rediscovering my coder roots. It makes for a pretty nice combo.

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

A little HTML scrabble game. It lets you register and play against another registered user, assuming you know their username.

I've got it running at http://www.leisurelyletters.com

SPACE CARBS
Jan 15, 2010

by Ozma

SPACE CARBS fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 21, 2010

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

leedo posted:

A little HTML scrabble game. It lets you register and play against another registered user, assuming you know their username.

How are you implementing chat? Is it real time?

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

drcru posted:

How are you implementing chat? Is it real time?

I'm just polling for new messages every ~3 seconds. I also get any new messages when an action is taken (letter placed, message sent, etc.)

Not perfect, but most chatting here is just leaving a message for the person when they come back for their turn.

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN

leedo posted:

That's pretty awesome.

I'd be careful though, Hasbro might sue you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7525085.stm

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Crazak P posted:

That's pretty awesome.

I'd be careful though, Hasbro might sue you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7525085.stm

They seem to be okay with it as long as you don't use a Scabble-like name for it.

It also helps if the bonus squares are placed differently on the board compared to the official version. (See Literati, for instance, which has existed for ages without any problems I've heard of.)

Crazak P
Apr 11, 2003

PUNISHER > SPIDERMAN
That was big news awhile back, so I thought Hasbro was insanely protective of their IP. I guess they're not.

Good to know.

leedo
Nov 28, 2000

Well, that would be pretty dickish to sue me since I am not making any money (from ads or otherwise) and all the source code is up on github. I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised, though.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Crazak P posted:

That was big news awhile back, so I thought Hasbro was insanely protective of their IP. I guess they're not.

Good to know.

Well, the thing is, Scrabulous was pretty huge on Facebook a while back, with a name similar to that of Scrabble, and a completely identical board. That and Hasbro wanted to launch their own official Scrabble app, so they took down their biggest competition.

SPACE CARBS
Jan 15, 2010

by Ozma
Making massive progress (goons make great testers). Those spaceport entries won't be in the final version.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I'm taking my time with this, but I have a week and a half before my internship starts, so I have boat loads of free time. I just have to implement event editing/deleting and my calendaring system will be done! I actually enjoyed fixing Time Zones and DST issues :downs: What I really like about the new system I'm making is how you will be able to view the calendars separately, but also all of them together. Fundamentally it's a simple thing, it's just that it's nice when things work.

As you all can see, I'm not a designer nor am I going for it right now. Developing is where it's at currently :)

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 27, 2010

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Version 1.1 of my game is now available, with some awesome new graphics by a friend of mine. I've also changed the code to dynamically load in different Python scripts to change the types of objects in the game. It's wonderful how easy it is to do this kind of stuff in Python.

[img]https://wi.somethingawful.com/ee/ee40a4045a15ea295cbfbea9c14c34bf0a9ceee3.png[/imgx]

Edit: attachment is finally working

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Test Pilot Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 3, 2010

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

I got my terrain renderer running with adjustable level of detail (LOD). Its set up right now to adjust details much closer to the camera than normal and to draw in greyscale so that the LOD switches are easier to see for debugging. The changes in detail 'pop' a lot less on more normal settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hybq_n-e6c

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

I got my terrain renderer running with adjustable level of detail (LOD). Its set up right now to adjust details much closer to the camera than normal and to draw in greyscale so that the LOD switches are easier to see for debugging. The changes in detail 'pop' a lot less on more normal settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hybq_n-e6c

Cool stuff, I'm thinking of writing a terrain renderer as well. What kind of technique are you using for your LOD?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Right now the terrain is split into a set of 32x32 square patches. If a patch is close to the camera position it is drawn with full resolution, if its a bit further away its drawn using every other point, further away yet and it uses every 4th point etc.

The only tricky bit is that you need to track cases where a high-detail patch is placed next to a low-detail patch because the difference in detail can cause tears to appear (pic below). To avoid this you have to adjust the verticies of the high-detail patch to match the low-detail patch on the borders by interpolating between the two closest verticies of the low-detail patch.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
I'm working on a game for iPhone called KittyBall:

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains
Cuteness overload. You will make a fortune off of preteen girls.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
I imagine your boss like Spiderman's newsroom boss, clenching a cigar between his teeth while he growls "Why don't the hills have faces? Put some cute loving faces in those goddamn hills!"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

But a secret pent up hatred for tree-huggers, the trees are lifeless without a face.

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
I made a visual history of the development of KittyBall: KittyBall evolved!

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

Luminous posted:

You will make a fortune off of preteen girls.

So many ways to misinterpret that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One step up from hello world.
:ughh: broke the table by attaching the wrong sized image - sorry. Can't edit the attachment.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 7, 2010

Captain Lou
Jun 18, 2004

buenas tardes amigo
EPWING dictionary reader, made w/ PyQt

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
An iPhone app for Tapout (huge MMA-related clothing company, basically the Nike of MMA). Full mobile store with PayPal integration. Also news, radio, gallery and stuff from their site.

It's so close to being finished. Took me somewhere between 5 and 6 months of solid dev time (I had a little bit of help towards the end of the project). I can't loving wait to get this bad boy released.

Severe Weeknight
Jun 1, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Finally reaching some sort of stability. Thanks goons!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Re-attempt at a game engine I have been working on for some time, sans project partner I did not work well with.

The UI is using CEGUI, I made my own looknfeel from scratch (painful experience, but still interesting). I also have async resource loading working rather well (immediate return of future-promised resource objects, which become valid later). There are functions to load synchronously and others to load whenever, they are tested and it is awesome. The interesting thing about this screenshot is that I have embedded python into the executable, so the engine sets up the environment, and then you can execute scripts. I have disabled import, all functions/classes currently exist in scope by the time these scripts are run. Here's an example of the script that makes that screenshot possible:

code:
MainMenu = makeWindow("NeoRice/FrameWindow","MENU/Main")
MainMenu.text = "MAIN MENU!"
MainMenu.setSize(((0,300),(0,200)))
MainMenu.setPos(((.5,-150),(.5,-100)))
MainMenu.alpha = 0 # game loop fades this bad boy in

TitleText = makeWindow("NeoRice/StaticText","MENU/Info")
TitleText.text = "Let's play some Pong!"
TitleText.setSize(((.8,0),(0,40)))
TitleText.setPos(((.1,0),(0,40)))
TitleText.setProperty("HorzFormatting","WordWrapCentred")
MainMenu.addChildWindow(TitleText)
I manually exposed all the CEGUI stuff, wrote converters, functions, factories etc, and such using boost::python. Oh, I'm also using Stackless Python. I forsee great things!

I also programmed pong in my engine entirely by python script, (that menu is part of it), but it's less interesting than the tech behind the engine so far.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 21, 2010

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

EDIT: (changed screenshot)

INTERFERENCE is new video of my Fallout-influenced isometric project showing our new travel map and a random encounter blatantly copying a famous scene from Fallout 2.

Previous videos:

Early Continuous Gameplay

Character Build Prototypes

monsterland fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That looks really nice in motion, which the screenshot just doesn't capture.

Mista _T
Nov 11, 2000

Mix it with Curly and Larry and Moe, WOOP-WOOP WOOP-WOOP WOOP hey, YO!
I am writing/finishing up a Text Adventure Module Engine ("TAME") in Java. It uses its own custom language, and programmers can define their own commands (without being limited to "use", "examine", "go", etc.). The engine itself works like a transactional database: taking a command, building a response, and sending it back, so it can be tailored to fit different clients (or programs) easily.

The language compiles to a serialized module that is loaded by the client.

Below is a pretty terrible example of it in action - I'm afraid I'm only good at building tools and not stories. I'll probably release it plus a user's manual when I have an actual game. Not shown are the player and room elements (they aren't required to build a module, anyway).

Click here for the full 1259x887 image.

I tried to engineer a better language for describing worldly constructs. If you have seen ZIL, it's a pretty ugly language. I hoped to make at least what I feel is a better looking language, and I think I succeeded.

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

Mista _T posted:

That brace style would drive me absolutely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mista _T
Nov 11, 2000

Mix it with Curly and Larry and Moe, WOOP-WOOP WOOP-WOOP WOOP hey, YO!

TheSpook posted:

That brace style would drive me absolutely insane.

You can put the braces anywhere, really. I just have a bizarre way of placing curly braces - left on next line, right indented with code. I forget who did it first, but it was in some ACS tutorial way back when that I picked up the style, and I found it to be the most readable. The start and end are easily found while reading the code.

code:
if (blah)
{
    dosomestuff();
    dosomemorestuff();
    }
The only brace style that really irks me is the "left on same line as opening block, right not indented with code."

code:
if (blah) {
    dosomestuff();
    dosomemorestuff();
}
Ugh. It's like the braces were an afterthought in the last style and the guy who wrote the code was only comfortable in BASIC and had to put up with braced blocks in C.

Mista _T fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 26, 2010