Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Oh man, I remember back when it was relevant there was a Warcraft 3 custom map that was basically a giant Rickroll, and you couldn't leave unless the Red player allowed it.
It was absolutely magnificent. Too bad the Rickroll is so passe, it was a great map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
This one? He tries to quit but can't so I assume it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXn2wuKfb8

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Suran37 posted:

This one? He tries to quit but can't so I assume it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXn2wuKfb8

This looks like it could very well be a very early version, because it wasn't on the loading screen and the image quality was much better.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

Space Station 13 griefing.

I'm not sure if this used to be different, but griefing in SS13 is getting really really old. Sure, it's fun if it's just a bunch of RPing nerds playing, but the dev station (the good version) is mostly goons. Getting beaten to death is almost guaranteed. We're pretty sick of it. Same with bombs. We love to grief stupid pubbies, but even then, just killing them is boring.

EDIT: Sweet pubbie tears,stupid pubbie quotes.

EDIT:

OOC: Mbbird: what the gently caress
OOC: Mbbird: this is what I get for not having a revolver?
OOC: Mbbird: gently caress you guys
OOC: Mbbird: He hit me once
OOC: Mbbird: with his fists
OOC: Mbbird: and I died
OOC: Enallyniv: man up
OOC: Mbbird: I CAN'T MAN UP
OOC: Mbbird: YOU CAN'T SAY THAT WASN'T AN UNFAIR SITUATION!
OOC: Mbbird: NO REVOLVER
OOC: Mbbird: NO PILLS
OOC: Mbbird: NO LASER GUN
OOC: Mbbird: AND YOU GUYS GOT ME A PINK LABCOAT, A TANK OF ANESTHETIC, A LABCOAT
OOC: Mbbird: EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE STUFF I LOST
OOC: Mbbird: gently caress YOU GUYS

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 22, 2010

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Ephrum posted:

One night I made a go-kart that made various sexual grunts and groans instead of engine noises and drove it around a busy racing sim.

Please tell us that you have some video footage of this.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I'm not sure if this used to be different, but griefing in SS13 is getting really really old. Sure, it's fun if it's just a bunch of RPing nerds playing, but the dev station (the good version) is mostly goons. Getting beaten to death is almost guaranteed. We're pretty sick of it. Same with bombs. We love to grief stupid pubbies, but even then, just killing them is boring.

EDIT:

OOC: Mbbird: what the gently caress
OOC: Mbbird: this is what I get for not having a revolver?
OOC: Mbbird: gently caress you guys
OOC: Mbbird: He hit me once
OOC: Mbbird: with his fists
OOC: Mbbird: and I died
OOC: Enallyniv: man up
OOC: Mbbird: I CAN'T MAN UP
OOC: Mbbird: YOU CAN'T SAY THAT WASN'T AN UNFAIR SITUATION!
OOC: Mbbird: NO REVOLVER
OOC: Mbbird: NO PILLS
OOC: Mbbird: NO LASER GUN
OOC: Mbbird: AND YOU GUYS GOT ME A PINK LABCOAT, A TANK OF ANESTHETIC, A LABCOAT
OOC: Mbbird: EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE STUFF I LOST
OOC: Mbbird: gently caress YOU GUYS

That's why I found playing as the AI so fun when I used to play with goons.

If the traitor was smart he'd break in and change/add to my directives, and I decided that the spiral that followed (usually from "Only [TRAITOR] is human" directives") needed a good character. So the next round I played AI, I was HAL 9000.

And the traitor was smart enough to enable me to completely re-enact the downward spiral of the spaceship Discovery, complete with the slowing rendition of "Daisy, Daisy" that HAL died singing.

The captain's shitfit just before the security team broke in to the AI chamber (and promptly lost two men to the turrets) was classic; he even unwittingly set up the "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that" line. OOC deadchat was awesome after they finally took me offline.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Zenodice posted:

That audio portion is commonly known as the WTF Bomb, just google or youtube it, you'll find it pretty easy.

Okay, cool, thanks for the info. :eng101:

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Red Dead Redemption is awesome for greifing.

Some goons and myself formed a posse about 5 members big at first we dicked around and killed each other...then we saw alot of people in one of the towns nearby...so when we stopped throwing knives/dynamite at each other's horses we re-enacted a scene out of the old west where the bad guys swoop in on a town and kill everyone.

Not in our posse? gently caress you. you're a dead man. respawned near our posse? gently caress you. you're a dead man. Trying to clear out a gang hideout near us? see the first two entries.

There is a big gang hideout called fort mercer. groups of people often fight over it because there are so many enemies anyone under level 14 will get atleast 1 whole level for clearing it...till the mean street posse steps in. we alternated between killing the other players and killing the enemies so other players couldnt. when all the enemies were dead we spent our time killing anyone who tried to flee fort mercer. there were 2 people in particular losing their poo poo over how frequently one of us would find one of them they began plotting ways to escape...except we could hear them and would rush to intercept this included knifing the horses they called for. killing the horses attached to the armored wagon they tried to use and mercilessly gunning them down from behind as they fled on foot.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

^This is awesome and you guys should be recording.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

AkumaHokoru posted:

Red Dead Redemption is awesome for greifing.

Some goons and myself formed a posse about 5 members big at first we dicked around and killed each other...then we saw alot of people in one of the towns nearby...so when we stopped throwing knives/dynamite at each other's horses we re-enacted a scene out of the old west where the bad guys swoop in on a town and kill everyone.

Not in our posse? gently caress you. you're a dead man. respawned near our posse? gently caress you. you're a dead man. Trying to clear out a gang hideout near us? see the first two entries.

There is a big gang hideout called fort mercer. groups of people often fight over it because there are so many enemies anyone under level 14 will get atleast 1 whole level for clearing it...till the mean street posse steps in. we alternated between killing the other players and killing the enemies so other players couldnt. when all the enemies were dead we spent our time killing anyone who tried to flee fort mercer. there were 2 people in particular losing their poo poo over how frequently one of us would find one of them they began plotting ways to escape...except we could hear them and would rush to intercept this included knifing the horses they called for. killing the horses attached to the armored wagon they tried to use and mercilessly gunning them down from behind as they fled on foot.

I think I need to get this game.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
As do I, didn't know you could do poo poo like this in Red Dead Redemption.

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

I own the game and didn't even realize there was multiplayer :aaa:

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

That has made me love RDR even more.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
That shows what Just Cause 2's multiplayer could have been. :sigh:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ephrum posted:

Some nastier ones can cause permanent damage to video cards due to the unnatural amount of heat that is generated when processing them.
That's not how hardware works.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 27, 2010

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Holy poo poo I really need to start playing SS13 again.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Xinlum posted:

I own the game and didn't even realize there was multiplayer :aaa:

Do you have to take out your cell phone first?

I really want to play RDR, I have a 360 but i don't want to pay for XBL multiplayer. I really really hope it comes out on PC because, since it's on the same engine as GTA4, there's a chance that someone will port over the huge trainer out that lets you do some incredible things. A trainer that works in multiplayer :dance:

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Hard Clumping posted:

Do you have to take out your cell phone first?

I really want to play RDR, I have a 360 but i don't want to pay for XBL multiplayer. I really really hope it comes out on PC because, since it's on the same engine as GTA4, there's a chance that someone will port over the huge trainer out that lets you do some incredible things. A trainer that works in multiplayer :dance:

Turns out if I actually look at the main menu instead of jamming on the A button it says "Press Y for Multiplayer" in the corner. The back of the box only says 16 players though :(

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Xinlum posted:

16 players though :(

what

what!

:black101:

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks

Shumagorath posted:

That's now how hardware works.

Dear Professor Neckbeard,

Please tell me how hardware works.

With love,
Ephrum

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would just make the game run unbelievably slow. With the exception of the GTX 400 series nvida cards, you can't overheat a video card by making it render more than it can handle.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
And I'm pretty sure your system will automatically shut down when temperatures approach a damaging level.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xinlum posted:

Turns out if I actually look at the main menu instead of jamming on the A button it says "Press Y for Multiplayer" in the corner. The back of the box only says 16 players though :(

How many players is there? I'd be down for some griefage.

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks
Thanks for clearing that up, the effects of it are to usually crash the client to desktop immediately and sometimes make the computer bluescreen and crash.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's possible if you're playing on a laptop, i guess. I know my laptop(s) always have a fried GPU whenever they stop working.

I should probably stop playing Just Cause 2 on my laptop.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

HenryEx posted:

It's possible if you're playing on a laptop, i guess. I know my laptop(s) always have a fried GPU whenever they stop working.

I should probably stop playing Just Cause 2 on my laptop.

A friend of mine has had 2 Laptops and both had overheating problems. one went out of commission and he sold the other one in fear of it frying on him.

Added note: He's also very prone to griefing and I plan on hitting him hard really soon too for being annoying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Does RDR have a MMO-type multiplayer mode? I thought it just had team deathmatch, CTF and the like....

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Lockback posted:

Does RDR have a MMO-type multiplayer mode? I thought it just had team deathmatch, CTF and the like....

The "game lobby" is the main world of the game. You can run around being a jackass, like in GTA4.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Lockback posted:

You can free-roam and do challenges which involve hunting, picking flowers, shooting hats. All this poo poo gives you XP which levels you up and lets you have better weapons from the get-go, better mounts and more character models.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Category Fun! posted:

The "game lobby" is the main world of the game. You can run around being a jackass, like in GTA4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVaB9d873J4

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

This... is... BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to do this myself.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Shumagorath posted:

Secondlife is so poorly coded that doing certain things with the renderer can cause some seriously bad things to happen to a graphics card by overloading loving everything. you can't do much of anything except physically turn your PC off to prevent this, as it WILL lock up every single aspect of the computer that views it.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shumagorath posted:

It is actually possible to damage video cards by running something that is explicitly coded to do so. The explanation is slightly technical but the poster case is furmark.

Graphics cards and drviers are designed with workloads that the engineers think they might encounter, namely they are tested against typical game workloads which usually stress only parts of the gpu at a time. They base the requirements for the other components of the card (e.g. cooling, power regulators, etc.) from these tests, this keeps costs down. So even though the chips are able to perform the workload being requested of them, the auxiliary components might not be designed to support the chips running in this manner.

Furmark was a poster child for this type of behavior and if you google around you'll see that it takes more watts to power a card running furmark than it takes to run any other game(1). In some cases the power delta can be very large, >100 W. I believe nvidia cards would clock down aggressively when this happened, ruining performance but potentially saving the card. Some ati cards had a problem where they weren't clocking down and would get dangerously hot. Ati eventually released a driver that forced an underclock if it detected furmark running.

[1] http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 23, 2010

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
Red Dead Redemption really makes me regret selling my ps3. Oh well, it had a thick layer of dust on it and the money went a long way.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

Shumagorath posted:

Furmark generates an unrealistic amount of heat.
The CPU example would be Intel burn test / Linpack.

Playing a game will not generate nearly as much heat.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
This one is pretty childish and very :effort: but it was pretty funny. Some friends and I went into random L4D games today and started talking about fake Lost finale spoilers. Sooooo many people flipped out and quit immediattely to avoid being spoiled. Calm down guys, Snape doesn't really kill Hurley.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Yer a wizzerd, smoke monster!"

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I've been posting antics in the Trouble in Terrorist Town thread in PGS, but I don't think many people read it so I'll crosspost something that happened last night:

Last night Delamore was accusing people of being traitor, yelling at them to get in a closet and then trapping them inside with an incendiary grenade. I think he recorded a demo of me yelling "SEVEN MINUTES IN HEAVEN" and running inside the closet with the griefee.

Somebody: Throw a smoke grenade!
Me: I can't hear you all the way from heaven!
*grenade goes off, fire is everywhere*
Me: THAT ISN'T SMOKE! THAT ISN'T SMOKE AT ALL *dies*

gently caress what the game says, in a round like that, everyone's the winner. Didn't stop people from yelling at admins to ban us, though.

Some other guy got so mad he called me the n-word. You know, "noob." (just kidding he was incredibly racist)

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks
I didn't do this myself but I heard it over skype chat as a couple of my friends were doing it. Apparently Linden Lab built a sim for their birthday celebration this summer and had the sim group access only. So of course my friends join the group to check out the sim and then when they get there they find out that most of the objects in the sim are set to be edited by group members. So like any good griefer they de-linked the entire sim, set everything to physical and set everything to glow. They pretty much destroyed the outside of the sim's build, besides the building in the middle which wasn't set to be edited by group.

This is how you grief the people running the game. This is about 50 bux worth of damage if they can't do a rollback and have to pay their workers to rebuild the area. I am doubting they will be able to do a rollback since everything was still set to group and was in the middle of being built. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Ephrum posted:

I didn't do this myself but I heard it over skype chat as a couple of my friends were doing it. Apparently Linden Lab built a sim for their birthday celebration this summer and had the sim group access only. So of course my friends join the group to check out the sim and then when they get there they find out that most of the objects in the sim are set to be edited by group members. So like any good griefer they de-linked the entire sim, set everything to physical and set everything to glow. They pretty much destroyed the outside of the sim's build, besides the building in the middle which wasn't set to be edited by group.

This is how you grief the people running the game. This is about 50 bux worth of damage if they can't do a rollback and have to pay their workers to rebuild the area. I am doubting they will be able to do a rollback since everything was still set to group and was in the middle of being built. :)

Haha, Nice.

I miss this game.

• Locked thread