Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

kerpow posted:

Has WotC given out the crunchy bits for how to handle supplies and making water a resource adventurers give a gently caress about?

Not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they made thirst into a disease track that all characters constantly suffer from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

ManMythLegend posted:

Not that I'm aware of, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they made thirst into a disease track that all characters constantly suffer from.

That'd be the best way to do it, really, unless they use the old lovely system of 'make a check...take damage....'. A pretty simple disease track that goes from "Man I'm parched" to "Ugh so thirsty so weak" and finally "Welp someone better dump some water in my mouth or I'm hosed" would be easy.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Sad Mammal posted:

From what I hear, Penny Arcade is gearing up to do a 4e Dark Sun campaign podcast in the near future.

Thats great, the first round of PA podcasts really helped show off 4e when it was new. PA running Dark Sun is awesome, especially when the DM is a self-described vet from the old days.

Also:

Click here for the full 508x752 image.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just hope Wil Wheaton isn't in it. His personality really grated on me in the first run of their podcasts, to the point where I had to quit listening.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Haha, what book is that from?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That drawing may be Baxa's greatest gift to humanity.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Pharmaskittle posted:

I just hope Wil Wheaton isn't in it. His personality really grated on me in the first run of their podcasts, to the point where I had to quit listening.

I liked him.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

Haha, what book is that from?

Merchant House of Amketch

I love the art style in some of those flipbook adventures. Everyone is ugly, nasty, half-mutated. The art was so bad it added to the setting.

A couple half-giant bros...

Neutral? (half giants were unstable and had random alignments in 2e)

I dont even know:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
The second set of podcasts when Wil showed up were so unbearable I couldn't get past the second one. The original ones were great though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Half Giants were only chaotic on one of the axises if I remember correctly. So that "Neutral ?" guy would always be neutral on the law/chaos axis but random on the good/evil one. It was weird and I hope they just erase if from the canon for 4E.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

ManMythLegend posted:

Half Giants were only chaotic on one of the axises if I remember correctly. So that "Neutral ?" guy would always be neutral on the law/chaos axis but random on the good/evil one. It was weird and I hope they just erase if from the canon for 4E.

You do remember correctly, and I don't think it'd even be possible in 4E since 4E alignments are no longer on two axes so let's all hope it vanishes completely.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It wasn't that their alignment changed randomly; it was that they were natural bred "followers" and would alter their outlook to match that of whomever they felt they should be following at that point. As usual, the alignment rules made a clunky mess of what was a neat bit of roleplaying opportunity.

They're already said that goliaths will stand in for half giants, but I wonder how much the fluff will change as a result of that.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

shotgunbadger posted:

I liked him.

I seem to remember him at one point making some wacky joke that didn't evoke any response from anyone. So he made it several more times. Just poo poo like that. To be fair, this was when he first started, so maybe since then he's chilled out a little bit.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wil Wheaton won't be in the Dark Sun podcasts.

Tycho posted:

We put together another Dungeons and Dragons podcast on Wednesday, this time devoted to the resurgent Dark Sun setting. This round saw me behind the DM's screen, doing my best to immolate, abrade, crush, and otherwise destroy our own Gabriel, Kris Straub, and Scott Kurtz. I spent two and half years invested in a Dark Sun campaign as a young man, and the opportunity to revel there again - if reveling is even possible in that blistered psychic wasteland - was an honor and a pleasure. I hope I was able to create in their minds the same deep curiosity about the setting that was, heretofore, my sole domain.

Running a game for three writer/artists was a unique experience, one I'd gladly take on again. And I'd probably better take it on again, because (as you'll hear in the podcast) I loves me some cliffhangers.

Plus, the comic in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/5/14/

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.

ManMythLegend posted:

I thought it was a good use of the (perhaps fundamentally poor) alignment system to represent the fact that half-giants naturally adopt the culture that surrounds them, along with mimicking (but not at all understanding) attitudes and behavioral quirks shown by whichever charismatic individual they were 'imprinting' on at the time.

While you don't really need mechanics to represent that, I hope they don't do away with that part of the half-giant's racial mindset. It helped differentiate them from "big dumb guys that talk like retarded Tarzan", it was part of the Dark Sun quirk and removing it would be like saying that elves are honest woodsmen that live in tree houses.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Anisotropic Shader posted:

I thought it was a good use of the (perhaps fundamentally poor) alignment system to represent the fact that half-giants naturally adopt the culture that surrounds them, along with mimicking (but not at all understanding) attitudes and behavioral quirks shown by whichever charismatic individual they were 'imprinting' on at the time.

While you don't really need mechanics to represent that, I hope they don't do away with that part of the half-giant's racial mindset. It helped differentiate them from "big dumb guys that talk like retarded Tarzan", it was part of the Dark Sun quirk and removing it would be like saying that elves are honest woodsmen that live in tree houses.

I have no problem with the idea of them adopting a culture for lack of their own, but to tie it to the morality system is dumb and confusing.

Anisotropic Shader
Nov 25, 2005

You're talkin' about what would basically be the most important model train layout of all time you realize.
Most definitely, it was an interesting use of a flawed system and probably only existed to appease the need for mechanics to back up what should be roleplayed. I'm glad it seems they'll be reskinning goliaths for the 4e adaptation, their great-weapon and resilience feats and powers really hit the nail on the head and you can play a tall guy without the DM having to pull their hair out over how to make dungeons/lairs that just happen to have 13-foot ceilings and doorways.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I still think that Half-Orcs make a better base for Half-Giants then Goliaths mechanically. The Half-Orc focus on dealing damage and being combat monsters fits the fluff for Half-Giants way better.

In my mind, the athletic and resilient features of the Goliath are much better for use as the base for Muls, which in the fluff are harder to kill then cockroaches. Really the only thing that needs to be swapped around is the whole great-weapon thing that Goliaths have going for them, and that's a simple cut and paste job.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ritorix posted:

I dont even know:

Late Eighties, early Nineties X-Men enemies.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Tom Baxa is trying to get a book printed up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1633668267/blood-rituals-the-art-of-tom-baxa-dark-fantasy-art

Evil Fiend
Apr 30, 2003

June 9th D&D Encounters: Dark Sun will be starting in stores and also a Dark Sun adventure for Free RPG Day on June 19.

http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drrep/2010May

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

This should go here.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Red_Mage posted:

This should go here.

It already did. :)

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Wil Wheaton won't be in the Dark Sun podcasts.

Plus, the comic in case you haven't seen it:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/5/14/

Still... Dark Sun, woo!

Dark Sun, where "Leather Chest Armor" means you've been sunburned so many times your chest is leathery.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 23, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Shattered Lands was so great. I liked how you could cheat and max out your scores. And if you did all the sidequests, you'd hit max level before you even left Draj.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Speaking of Shattered Lands, why did they only let you play a female Thri-Kreen? Were males way stronger in 2E AD&D or something?

Also how the hell do you get it to run normally on a modern PC? I have the old CDs of it when it came out in some big-rear end TSR compendium (along with Unlimited Adventures and some other stuff) and, while the game runs ok, the text basically disappears as quickly as it appears. It's impossible to read what's going on. Or, at least, that's what I remember happening last time I tried it like 5 years ago.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 23, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

They only let you play as male half-giants too. There's no mechanical differences between the genders of the two races.

The last time I loaded up Shattered Lands in XP, it ran fine. I remember Wake of the Ravager running all super weird and fast.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

They only let you play as male half-giants too. There's no mechanical differences between the genders of the two races.

The last time I loaded up Shattered Lands in XP, it ran fine. I remember Wake of the Ravager running all super weird and fast.

If you're using DOSbox or something Wake of the Ravager needs to be toned down on the cycles. It runs at ridiculous speeds and will absolutely crush you in a certain area when you try to get the Fire Ruby from the volcano place and the stones puzzle is timed, so you won't ever complete it unless you reduce the cycles.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

PeterWeller posted:

You can play female half giants, but only male muls.

Half giants are the best, because they show most clearly that the backs of male torsos are the fronts of female and vice versa. Male half giants run around with giant tits on their backs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

That's right. I should have remembered my half giant named Edna. I didn't know about the torsos. I'm going to have to load it up and check that out.

kerpow
Jan 13, 2006

I posted earlier asking if WotC has released any info about using supplies because I was getting ready to run a game with a survival element. Well, I ran my game where the players are in a post-apocalyptic setting; the undead swarm the entire planet and the living take refuge on airships. I used the first system last week and plan on using the second system this week.

System 1:
A supply point is enough supplies to feed their entire airship crew for one day. If the players go below 0 supplies I use the rules for starvation in the back of the PHB.

Pro: Very simple
Con: Not enough granularity. The minimum amount of food they could scavenge for would feed all 7 characters for a day (1 point = feed 3 players + 4 NPCs for a day). They also had some goats and a small garden on board to supplement their supplies and it's needlessly complicated to keep track of +1 supply/7 days or something. It's also weird if their crew grows or shrinks because it's still 1 unit of supplies per day regardless of the amount of characters it's for.

System 2:
A supply point is enough food/water to keep one character healthy for one day. At 0 or less supply points we start using the starvation rules.

Pro: More granularity to work with: the goats and garden equal 1 supply point per day; I can reward them with enough food for two or three characters instead of multiples of the entire crew. The players see a direct relation to their survival and the number of crew members.
Con: Bigger numbers to keep track of. A little more complex of a system.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Everlasting Provisions

problem solved.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Malachamavet posted:

Everlasting Provisions

problem solved.

Players don't really have any assured control over what magic items they get so using them to "beat" a scenario is a fairly irrelevant idea

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I did that once with a ring of sustenance in a post-apocalyptic 3.5 game. Turns out a ring of sustenance won't keep you from dying to mummy rot. v:shobon:v

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Oh I meant it just solves the eating problem not the zombie apocalypse problem

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Malachamavet posted:

zombie apocalypse problem

Get four rings of regeneration. Jam them around the legs of an intellect devourer. Problem solved.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
Everlasting provisions is the dumbest magic item because if your DM is going to let you have it, he probably doesn't give a gently caress about provisions anyway, and in a game where provisions actually matter, no rational DM would give you such a veritable cornucopia

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008

Kerison posted:

Everlasting provisions is the dumbest magic item because if your DM is going to let you have it, he probably doesn't give a gently caress about provisions anyway, and in a game where provisions actually matter, no rational DM would give you such a veritable cornucopia

Except in darksun, you're probably gonna get killed for it.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

By a Fael.

(Fat undead that never stop eating. gently caress, they thought of everything.)

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Kerison posted:

I was going to compare it to an everburning torch, but no even then that's a perfectly reasonable 'well done you have found a very useful item to replace some annoying book-keeping!' thing that won't gently caress your game, everlasting rations are literally only for games where provisions don't matter and no one will buy them then.

That said, it may be a fun Dark Sun Campaign goal to have, so they have that use at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

That's a plot hook right there. "Good news folks! Thanks to this little Mcguffin here you don't ever have to worry about food or water ever again! Bad news: everyone in Athas wants to cut your throat for it..."

• Locked thread