Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Hey miata fools--I've DD'd a miata for almost 5 years and I'm looking for another car to use as my all purpose vehicle. Ideally something that can also tow the miata and/or my bike if I want to go to Deal's Gap but that's not a deal breaker. New or used is on the table--mileage is a fairly high priority since I'll probably use it to go to work.

Are there crossover vehicles that can tow a miata? That seems like the ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ChiliMac posted:

Hey miata fools--I've DD'd a miata for almost 5 years and I'm looking for another car to use as my all purpose vehicle. Ideally something that can also tow the miata and/or my bike if I want to go to Deal's Gap but that's not a deal breaker. New or used is on the table--mileage is a fairly high priority since I'll probably use it to go to work.

Just make sure that the tow rating is 3000lbs, and you should be alright. You probably won't be able to find a crossover seeing how they're just SUV bodies on car frames.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
A Magnum R/T with the towing package is good to almost 4k. You should be able to find something. Just keep in mind that you want your tow car to weigh more than what it's towing. Otherwise you get strange "wag the dog" type handling issues.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ChiliMac posted:

I believe the Subaru Outback can tow at least 3000lb since 2005. There might be a towing kit upgrade as well, but I don't remember hearing of one. Try the turbo (XT) or 6-cylinder (H6, 3.0R) models, though the H6s are all automatics.

Other than that, I'd just look at a used truck (Ford Ranger, Chevy S-15, etc) or something based on a truck frame for an inexpensive tow vehicle.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 23, 2010

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Outback was high on the list but I wasn't sure if there were others out there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DreamOn13 posted:

Update time. Turns out that 3-2 shift loosened my flywheel bolts. I drove probably 150 miles or so home from the track after it happened, and another 15-20 to my friends place to see what he thought about it. On the way home from that, all but 1 of the bolts had fallen out, and the clutch assembly was wobbly as gently caress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6E6X4j5Ano

Managed to machine my bell housing a bit for some sweet weight reduction and ruin the new clutch I had just put in. It should be back together in the next week or two though, still trying to source a flywheel since I can't buy a new one from Autozone or the local stores.

It keeps getting better and better. I noticed now that I have all the parts to fix the clutch that the input shaft splines are kind of jacked up towards the rear of the transmission. It's like 1/3 of the circumference is now flat and doesn't have the splines at all. Must have been where the TOB seized up and broke the little cover that has the pivot for the clutch fork on it. I put the new disk on there and it slides pretty smoothly on the shaft, though. There's also a bit of play in the input shaft (I'd guess it's ~ 1/16", but I can notice it moving) that I can't recall if it had doing the last clutch job... so I'm assuming the input shaft bearings took a beating from the seized TOB and are now worse off than before. Any opinions on what I should do? I'm guessing I should probably just source a used transmission...

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
Joined the army with a 1993 Miata. Got a pretty good deal.

It's in pretty good shape, the only rust is a bit of surface rust - Carfax is clean and showed it was a Virginia car until last year. Comes pre-loaded with Flying Miata swaybars, Koni Yellows, and Ground Control Coilovers. Good condition hardtop, fair soft-top. 97,000 miles. Picked it up for $4,500.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So it looks like I'm going to sell my Miata. It just failed the CA smog sniff test and I just bought an Evo.

Since destructo asked for more info, I figured I'd just post it here. My plan is to get it to pass smog completely legit (new cat is on the way).

It's as follows:
1995 M-edition, Merlot
BEGi S2 turbo kit with GT2554, fully carb legal with EO number
Enthuza 2.5" exhaust with extra resonator
Hard Dog Hard Core Hard Top Double Diagonal rollbar w/ padding and leather cover
Fatcat Motorsports custom valved Bilstein coilovers
Racing Beat tubular front swaybar
Some Kenwood MP3 headunit and Infinity speakers
Color matched hardtop w/ headliner and defroster
135k miles, turbo was installed at 105k

Also I have a Megasquirt PNP with boost control and 460cc injectors available, but obviously that setup isn't smog legal.

I hope I don't get bent over the table trying to sell this thing. :(

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So my shifter has a ton of play -- when it's in third I can move it left to right as if it were in neutral. There's not as much movement as if it were in neutral, but I'm still able to move it quite a bit. What part do I need to buy to fix this?

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I bought a Miata last week. I traded in my MkV GTI for a black one-owner 1995 Miata with 100k miles, a 5spd, the popular options package, and service records dating back to the day it was purchased.

Hooray for cheap(er) gas and insurance!

The car needs a little refreshing: new brakes, new shocks, and new tires since it's currently rockin' the snow tires. I'm ordering new brake rotors and pads tomorrow. I'm probably going to go with Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

I've set a budget of $1500 for maintenance and upgrades. Here's a breakdown of expected costs:
-Rotors and pads: $250
-Dunlop Direzza Star Specs: $400
-Suspension bushings: $300
-Koni Sports: $500
-Sway bar: free. Hooray.

If you factor in the cost of shipping, tire mounting and dismounting, and an alignment... well, so much for my budget. It's going to be a mean little autocross car when it's done though.

I'm in love with this car already because it's the exact opposite of the GTI.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wait a minute... you're not a fag. :confused:

I just turned over 180k in my Miata. I think I'm going to try to replace the radiator and associated hoses before I goto my next track event.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

goatse guy posted:

I bought a Miata last week. I traded in my MkV GTI for a black one-owner 1995 Miata with 100k miles, a 5spd, the popular options package, and service records dating back to the day it was purchased.

Hooray for cheap(er) gas and insurance!

The car needs a little refreshing: new brakes, new shocks, and new tires since it's currently rockin' the snow tires. I'm ordering new brake rotors and pads tomorrow. I'm probably going to go with Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

I've set a budget of $1500 for maintenance and upgrades. Here's a breakdown of expected costs:
-Rotors and pads: $250
-Dunlop Direzza Star Specs: $400
-Koni Sports: $500
-Sway bar: free. Hooray.

If you factor in the cost of shipping, tire mounting and dismounting, and an alignment... well, so much for my budget. It's going to be a mean little autocross car when it's done though.

I'm in love with this car already because it's the exact opposite of the GTI.

I just sprung for the Direzza Star Specs. I was going to get a set of Kosei K1 Racing 15" wheels with the 205/55-15s, but decided I couldn't afford that so just got the tires in 195/60-14 to put on the stock wheels.

Both I and the previous owner are pretty tall guys - luckily for me, he did a foamectomy. Unluckily for me, he cut the back foam in such a way that it left a huge ridge of material that goes right across my shoulder blades. And I'm driving it 12 hours tomorrow. :/

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Phone posted:

Wait a minute... you're not a fag. :confused:

Yes, but I do fit into the other half of the Miata stereotype. :ssh:

If I can ever find the R package bits, I'm going to do an R package conversion on the car. I think the front lip is still available from Mazdaspeed because it's used for Spec Miata, but the rear lip and spoiler are made from unobtanium. Does anyone have a Mazdaspeed account? I'd like to know how much the front lip costs.

I also want to move the ugly front license plate bracket so it's not in the middle of my bumper. What's the best way to mount it so that it's out of the way but doesn't restrict airflow?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

goatse guy posted:

If I can ever find the R package bits, I'm going to do an R package conversion on the car. I think the front lip is still available from Mazdaspeed because it's used for Spec Miata, but the rear lip and spoiler are made from unobtanium. Does anyone have a Mazdaspeed account? I'd like to know how much the front lip costs.

Of being fabulous?

For the front lip, you're better off buying it from Rosenthal; Mazdaspeed has it for $178.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

goatse guy posted:

Murdering Twinks?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Just get Napa blanks, paying extra for Brembo is retarded. Rear lip replicas are easily found from a couple of the miata vendors, but consider that you're paying $150 for a parachute on the back of your car, not really worth it.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

goatse guy posted:

You can get these for $210ish shipped on ebay, just be careful before installing them... make SURE that you have all the right parts (check the numbers on the bushings and measure the sleeves with a caliper).

My miata has been on jacks for a week now waiting for the right sleeves to arrive from energy suspension.

Also, why are you doing the bushings? Mine were in great shape ('92, 84k miles), and it's been enough of a pain so far that I really hate myself for doing it. I literaly gave myself 2nd degree burns when a bit of melted rubber flew onto my arm between my gloves and sweater. I vote save your money and spend it on an extra trackday..

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Blaise posted:

Also, why are you doing the bushings? Mine were in great shape ('92, 84k miles), and it's been enough of a pain so far that I really hate myself for doing it. I literaly gave myself 2nd degree burns when a bit of melted rubber flew onto my arm between my gloves and sweater. I vote save your money and spend it on an extra trackday..

Get the HF ball joint 3 in 1 tool for this. I did the whole job with that and a 1/2" ratchet. Didn't need any heat or air (Air would have made it much faster though.

A bench vise makes putting the new bushings in super easy. I also went ahead and stuck in zerk fittings while I had everything apart, totally worth it. I think I have a link on the last page to summit for a kit that has all the fittings you'd need.

I got mine from http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Mazda+MX5+1997. Count all your parts, Energy is notorious for putting in the wrong parts. It came to $170 for the control arm bushings. I didn't do diff(:effort:) or sway bar(aftermarket).

FatCow fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 24, 2010

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I bought a 1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6 the other day, V-Special edition in British Racing Green :britain:

Got a few problems to sort out, the electric windows don't work properly (passenger side comes down slowly, drivers side doesn't work at all), the hood could do with being replaced, and there's some rust spots to the sides of the door kickplates, but other than that it's sound.

Apart from the alternator, which, as I discovered the other night, is knackered. I had to drive back home 10 miles along dark country roads with no lights or the car kangarood and threatened to cut out.

So, I've got a recon alternator on order that should be with me in a few days. I'm a novice mechanic but I'd like to have a crack at it. I can see the alternator in the engine bay but can't get to it 'cos there's loads of hoses in the way.

The workshop manual I have doesn't tell me how to get those off and I'm loathe to just take poo poo off without knowing what they are first - presumably I just unclip all the hoses, remember where they go and then move them out of the way? Anything else that needs to be shifted?

Obligatory pic, albeit from an iPhone so not great.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
'grats Gazchap! I imagine other jobs like the water pump might explain those details regarding the alternator. Your windows are more than likely a corroded switch where the armrest is, shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to disassemble (just need a phillips screwdriver) and to clean with steel wool.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Yep, in fact I just did my electric window switch today when my driver-side window stopped going up (and I only have a car port). I actually just used a nail file and a paper towel. I didn't fully clean it (apparently WD-40 or similar will help but I didn't have any) but I got instant results so it was good for a free fix. Apparently a new switch cost around $80 here.
Here's what mine looked like before cleaning it:

Click here for the full 1306x1611 image.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

And I thought I knew a lot about miatas....

I'm still shopping for a NA via craigslist, having to wade through awesome posts that say nothing but "BLUE CONVERTABLE. HAS CD PLAYER. NO EMAILS. CALL ME".

I also have to spot the packages and special editions just by looking at grainy pictures and vague descriptions, which I need help with- correct me on anything I'm getting wrong:

Leather Seats: Indicative of nothing performance wise(?)
Wooden shift knob and parking brake handle: Special Edition, LSD, better wheels etc...
M edition badge next to the front wheel well is, obviously, M edition- is there anything else directly indicative of it?
The little rear lip spoiler is the R, but sometimes I see a spoiler that is actually off the car with the three posts, I'm assuming that's just aftermarket? Also is the little spoiler only on the R package?

And as far as wheels go, is it generally BBS>Daisy>whatever>steelies?

But yeah gently caress everything about craigslist except the prices.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
http://www.miata.net/faq/features.html
http://www.miata.net/faq/mfield.html
http://www.miata.net/faq/miatachanges.html

Wanna buy a turbo '95 M edition? :v:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

BBS>7 spoke 94-97>daisies

aftermarket wheels will fit from somewhere in between the far left and the far right of that list.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd say that the 1.8L 7-spokes are better than the BBS ones since they don't bend when you look at them wrong. Yes, the BBS ones are lighter, but they're also super soft.

As for looking to see what a car has, mnet has a decent chart that will tell you what models have what features. What exactly are you looking for in an NA? I can tell you right now that power mirrors = LSD in 1994 cars. :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hog Obituary posted:

Wanna buy a turbo '95 M edition? :v:
So how much are you asking for it? I'm in North Carolina so I don't really have to worry about emissions, just a check-engine light.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Nocheez posted:

So how much are you asking for it? I'm in North Carolina so I don't really have to worry about emissions, just a check-engine light.
Haha, I'm afraid to say just yet. To the right buyer it'll easily be worth over $7500, but I think finding that person is going to take time.
I'll certainly be watching this auction carefully: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Race...=item3efff8fd9e

e: I suppose I should start considering the possibility of a partial part-out of my suspension, MegaSquirt, etc... :/

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 26, 2010

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hog Obituary posted:

Haha, I'm afraid to say just yet. To the right buyer it'll easily be worth over $7500, but I think finding that person is going to take time.
I'll certainly be watching this auction carefully: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Race...=item3efff8fd9e

e: I suppose I should start considering the possibility of a partial part-out of my suspension, MegaSquirt, etc... :/

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got a 92 Supra that's worth $7500 to the right buyer, but I'm just holding on until someone ponies up the cash.

I was hoping a turbo Miata was cheaper (around $4-5K) to justify the "downgrade" but it looks like I'll just bank it and keep my eyes open for a deal.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Heh, well that one in the ebay auction certainly *looks* nice.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Heh, well that one in the ebay auction certainly *looks* nice.
Not really, the Greddy kit sucks, yours is more desirable but it's certainly not worth 7.5k.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Heh, I expected to hear as much. The way I figure it, the fact that it's a 95M, has a good rollbar, Bell turbo kit, and complete FatCat coilovers should be worth something to somebody.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

goatse guy posted:

I also want to move the ugly front license plate bracket so it's not in the middle of my bumper. What's the best way to mount it so that it's out of the way but doesn't restrict airflow?

There's a swing-up bracket $25ish that seems to work. Air just pushes it out of the way at speed. Search Miata.net for swing up license plate bracket. There's a far more expensive electrically controlled one if you want to get crazy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hog Obituary posted:

Heh, I expected to hear as much. The way I figure it, the fact that it's a 95M, has a good rollbar, Bell turbo kit, and complete FatCat coilovers should be worth something to somebody.

Yeah, mods really don't add value to your car at all. Quite seriously, on the high end of things 6k, but more realistically you'll wind up getting between 4-5k.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Phone posted:

Yeah, mods really don't add value to your car at all. Quite seriously, on the high end of things 6k, but more realistically you'll wind up getting between 4-5k.
It's true that that's common wisdom, and for the most part I accepted that when I started modifying the car, but I think each case is individual. Mods add value to a buyer who was planning to do similar modifications themselves. It's my understanding that turbo Miatas routinely go for more than stock ones.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

It's true that that's common wisdom, and for the most part I accepted that when I started modifying the car, but I think each case is individual. Mods add value to a buyer who was planning to do similar modifications themselves. It's my understanding that turbo Miatas routinely go for more than stock ones.

Depends on the turbo kit, the quality of the install, the miles, the boost that's being/been run, and a lot of factors. If it's in great condition, it might be worth more, but if it's not, it's worth less in my opinion.

I think with Miatas, suspension mods might add value, but engine mods don't, as far as I'm concerned. :/

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Piano posted:

And I thought I knew a lot about miatas....

I'm still shopping for a NA via craigslist, having to wade through awesome posts that say nothing but "BLUE CONVERTABLE. HAS CD PLAYER. NO EMAILS. CALL ME".

I also have to spot the packages and special editions just by looking at grainy pictures and vague descriptions, which I need help with- correct me on anything I'm getting wrong:

Leather Seats: Indicative of nothing performance wise(?)
Wooden shift knob and parking brake handle: Special Edition, LSD, better wheels etc...
M edition badge next to the front wheel well is, obviously, M edition- is there anything else directly indicative of it?
The little rear lip spoiler is the R, but sometimes I see a spoiler that is actually off the car with the three posts, I'm assuming that's just aftermarket? Also is the little spoiler only on the R package?

It depends on the year. Look at the charts on miata.net that the guy after you posted. For example, my 94's got leather seats, and it's got the Torsen LSD and the nice alloy wheels.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Long shot, but does anyone have a 6 speed transmission for sale in Florida? Just looking for the transmission, already have a differential.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Bollocks.

Went for a spirited drive last night, and pulled over when I heard a rattle then a buzz. Whilst I was scratching my head (almost all my heatshields have been removed at various points so i'm stumped) I noticed it was leaking coolant too.

The coolant's coming down the front face of the engine just underneath the water pump. Damnit. The current waterpump's only about four months old. Perhaps it was duff, or has a duff seal. I'll have to take the belts off and see - perhaps the buzz/rumble is the waterpump bearings actually.

It has been suggested that my coolant's looking fairly rusty so it could be a freeze plug instead? Is there one round the front?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yep, in fact I just did my electric window switch today when my driver-side window stopped going up (and I only have a car port). I actually just used a nail file and a paper towel. I didn't fully clean it (apparently WD-40 or similar will help but I didn't have any) but I got instant results so it was good for a free fix. Apparently a new switch cost around $80 here.
Here's what mine looked like before cleaning it:

Click here for the full 1306x1611 image.

Just thought I'd let you know that I just had to clean the contacts in the switch (as you suggested) and now the electric windows work fine :)

They still go down and up a bit slowly, so I think perhaps some grease on the mechanisms might be an idea, but for now it'll do :) Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meltie posted:

The coolant's coming down the front face of the engine just underneath the water pump. Damnit. The current waterpump's only about four months old. Perhaps it was duff, or has a duff seal. I'll have to take the belts off and see - perhaps the buzz/rumble is the waterpump bearings actually.

Waded in and replaced the waterpump and gaskets. Gasket prep is nice stuff. Sorted now.

The angry buzz was the starter bracket - the engine mount bolt had backed out and the bracket was lodged against the block.

In other news - i've had a 1.8 Torsen fitted :D