Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Melicious posted:

Goddamn, sometimes this thread makes me want to drown myself in a bucket. Or go on a rampage.

But hopefully cute bunny pictures make up for it?

I brought the buns out to Central Park the other day: some friends of mine were having a picnic and the tagline was "bring something: food, drinks, frisbees..." so my contribution was bunnies!

(Don't worry, no bunnies were harmed in the making of these pictures.)

(The leash is elasticized and Jasmine isn't holding on very hard; Zen could've taken it out of her hand easily.)

(Why hello there.)

(So... *eyes drooping*... sleepies...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
I think someone in this thread that has a white bun should dress it up like the White Rabbit and take pictures! (I am a bad person, I know.)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I would be very paranoid about unleashed dogs while in a park with rabbits. They seem to be having a good time though. That's amazing, not only does my rabbit refuse to step outside my room but he also acts like his world has ended if I take him outside of the room. Your rabbits must be very laid back creatures.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

DS at Night posted:

I would be very paranoid about unleashed dogs while in a park with rabbits. They seem to be having a good time though. That's amazing, not only does my rabbit refuse to step outside my room but he also acts like his world has ended if I take him outside of the room. Your rabbits must be very laid back creatures.

When they first got there they both spent some time running all over the place which meant I spent a good 20 minutes chasing them down. :) Honestly, I think Zen could take out a small dog, and people don't bring larger dogs to Central Park typically. I did keep an eye out, though, as did the 20-30-odd people I was with.

After a nice romp they both settled down near the tupperware I brought for food and water under the bike, which acted as protection-from-falcons.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

alucinor posted:

Just need to quote to make sure nobody sees it without realizing it's absolutely wrong. Timothy hay (or any grass hay such as bluegrass or orchardgrass) should comprise about 80-90% of the diet.

It's also perfectly safe to give timothy AND alfalfa to a rabbit under 1 year old, as DS at Night says.

True, very true (about timothy to a rabbit under a year old). The main point was that alfalfa shouldn't be given to rabbits over a year so they don't have weight issues. Thanks for the correction!

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Purple_slug posted:

Hi! Sorry it took me so long to reply, I don't post often.

Ok. The bunny situation turned out pretty sad. For one, it was my roommate's decision to buy and take care of the bunny. I didn't have any part in this other than being ok with her decision. Well, to cut a long story short, she had no clue what she was doing. She couldn't afford to buy a rabbit hutch or anything so she kept the poor rabbit in the friggin bath tub! It made me really angry because she kept on saying it was only temporary but it was in there for about a week. She put paper down but honestly, even I know that was a dumb idea.
Needless to say, the bun wasn't very happy or comfortable so it was very skittish when she picked it up. So because it was skittish, it bit her a couple times. Oh and since it was a tub, there was limited space for the rabbit to poop. She hated cleaning up after it but I don't think she wanted to admit it. Then she decided something was "wrong" with the rabbit and returned it back to the breeder.

tl:dr- Roommate buys rabbit. Makes up a bunch of excuses and blames the rabbit because she was over her head.

Other than that, it made me realize how some people should never have pets until they know how to care for them. It sucked she never made a solid effort. It was a really sweet Giant Flemish that I actually was pretty fond of. The only thing preventing me from taking it from her is that I have bad pet allergies and I had to limit my contact with it.

This is so sad :(

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

miseerin posted:

I have a question:
I spend an incredibly large part of my day either watching my two rabbits directly or being in the same room as them. Dorothy is a girl, and Buddy is a boy... they're both about 6-7 months old, so it might be too early, but I have not seen them try to "roll in the hay" yet. They lay all over each other and sleep, and Dorothy will clean Buddy, but no mating.

last minute edit: Neither are fixed yet.

How did I miss this post?

When are the babies due?

(Get them on a proper diet and get them fixed)

edit: :downs:

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 25, 2010

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Gumby Orgy posted:

How did I miss this post?

When are the babies due?

(Get them on a proper diet and get them fixed)

edit: :downs:

Yeah, congrats, you're a rabbit voyeur, they're making sex.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
To the chick upthread with the dietary questions and the red pee, for God's sake: do everything Rabbit.org says to do and above all, HAY HAY HAY. Red pee is normal.

I do have a dietary question, though. I think that I'm giving my bunnies way over the "minimum 2 cups chopped veggies per six pounds body weight". They inhale it, though. Is that a major problem that they're getting more?

Also, why in the hell do they love their pellets so much? All I have to do is grab the tupperware box where I keep their pellets and they both get apeshit, like I've never fed them anything before ever, despite the unlimited hay and serving of veggies. They get maaaaybe a 1/2 cup of pellets to share between the two of them per day.

I guess the short version is my rabbits are gluttons and could probably devour an entire elk carcass should I ever offer them one. This post needs more bunpictures.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Bean posted:

I'm so jealous of your bunnyhouse! It looks so spacious and awesome and fun!

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
:3:

It looks like a child's playroom

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Bean posted:

To the chick upthread with the dietary questions and the red pee, for God's sake: do everything Rabbit.org says to do and above all, HAY HAY HAY. Red pee is normal.

I do have a dietary question, though. I think that I'm giving my bunnies way over the "minimum 2 cups chopped veggies per six pounds body weight". They inhale it, though. Is that a major problem that they're getting more?

Also, why in the hell do they love their pellets so much? All I have to do is grab the tupperware box where I keep their pellets and they both get apeshit, like I've never fed them anything before ever, despite the unlimited hay and serving of veggies. They get maaaaybe a 1/2 cup of pellets to share between the two of them per day.

I guess the short version is my rabbits are gluttons and could probably devour an entire elk carcass should I ever offer them one. This post needs more bunpictures.

I give way more veggies as well and in 5 years have had zero issues. If we think about it, rabbits in the wild would be eating whatever lovely green things they could get their paws on so I think more than that isn't an issue for healthy, middle aged buns.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Bunway Airlines posted:

I give way more veggies as well and in 5 years have had zero issues. If we think about it, rabbits in the wild would be eating whatever lovely green things they could get their paws on so I think more than that isn't an issue for healthy, middle aged buns.

My buns are kind of chubby though so I've been trying to cut back on their food. :/ I always feel bad when Frith hoovers his way through his dish and then looks up at me expectantly.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Me and my girlfriend just got (my first pet ever!) a tiny widdle baby bunny.

Click here for the full 540x720 image.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Me and my girlfriend just got (my first pet ever!) a tiny widdle baby bunny.

Yaaaay cute! :neckbeard:

I hope that's a temporary shelter you have him in. :)

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

ShadowCatboy posted:

Yaaaay cute! :neckbeard:

I hope that's a temporary shelter you have him in. :)

It was one of those simple build it yourself ones, is something wrong with it??

It's really fun to let him out and run around my basement, he's so curious and loves going in to the corner of rooms and hiding behind boxes!

HE'S SOOO LITTTTLLLLLEEEEE

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

VVVVV Yup, it's super pets :(

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 26, 2010

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It looks like a SuperPet cage, and not a single one of those is large enough for the animals it's marketed for. They're fine for when critters are little, but he'll rapidly outgrow it. I wish I'd known when I bought my first rat cage - if I had just bought a big enough cage the first time, I could have gotten a much nicer cage than either of the two I wound up with.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

It's really fun to let him out and run around my basement, he's so curious and loves going in to the corner of rooms and hiding behind boxes!

He's a literally ball of adorable. :3:

But yeah, this thread is a seriously valuable guide to proper rabbit care. These guys know their stuff.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Kerfuffle posted:

These guys know their stuff.

:c00lbert:

you should head on over to rabbit.org and start reading up.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I wish more people would visit, read and re-read rabbit.org before getting rabbits.

I was just catching up on all the thread replies and got really sad over the suggestion of Tropical Carnival as an actual food recommendation. As advertised: "From mangos to bananas, carrots to peas, pistachios to almonds and pasta to macaroni wheels". In what world does a rabbit need macaroni or any type of nut :(

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

VVVVV Yup, it's super pets :(

If you don't know already:

1. Keep him the hell away from wiring or cables of any type.
2. Be very very careful about his diet, do a shitload of research because it can mean the difference between a healthy rabbit and one that's obese or dying of GI stasis.
3. Get him fixed as soon as he's old enough.
4. He'll probably need at least a 3 foot by 4 foot living space, and let him out regularly for plenty of exercise.

Do you have a name yet? I love the two little spots on his nose. I wanna hold him! :3:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
without checking rabbit.org to make sure, I think you'll want to do away with the cedar/pine bedding it looks like you have in there. I believe it can be bad for rabbits. Use something like Carefresh or Yesterdays News (depending on what you/the rabbit likes and blah blah) in his litterbox. You don't really need bedding all over the entire cage, most rabbits are content to make their own mess or just sprawl on the floor of their cage

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Levitate posted:

without checking rabbit.org to make sure, I think you'll want to do away with the cedar/pine bedding it looks like you have in there. I believe it can be bad for rabbits. Use something like Carefresh or Yesterdays News (depending on what you/the rabbit likes and blah blah) in his litterbox. You don't really need bedding all over the entire cage, most rabbits are content to make their own mess or just sprawl on the floor of their cage

This is always the grand dilemma of how to construct a nice bunny bed. You wanna give your cutie something soft enough to be comfortable lying on, but not so soft that they think it's something to pee and poop in. Something more than a square of carpeting, but not so fluffy that they'll decide it's delicious and chew it into oblivion.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.

He is so cute! He looks like a little Japanese anime bunny with those adorable dots on his cheeks!

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Levitate posted:

Here's the rabbit.org article on pine/cedar shavings. The general consensus is "We're not sure why exactly, but softwood shavings seem to be harmful. They are known to affect liver function, but may also have some other effects that haven't been well researched. Don't use them"

Hardwood shavings are fine - I use aspen shavings for our mouse and they're only a little more expensive and as widely available. I keep the rabbits on carpet in a pen-style cage in the kitchen. They tear up the carpet sometimes but there's just linoleum underneath.

Some day when we have access to a car I'd like to try chloroplast, though.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

ShadowCatboy posted:

This is always the grand dilemma of how to construct a nice bunny bed. You wanna give your cutie something soft enough to be comfortable lying on, but not so soft that they think it's something to pee and poop in. Something more than a square of carpeting, but not so fluffy that they'll decide it's delicious and chew it into oblivion.

I have found nothing for this. My buns are allowed on my carpet but only after months of 'encouraging' them to dig the baby blanket on the floor instead (tnat they've stolen from me :sigh: ) and on my bed only closely supervised.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

A shout out to the new bunny owners or stubborn ones who already have buns like me, just buy the drat carefresh. Seriously, it may seem more expensive than aspen bedding, but it's really compacted and is about the same amount if not a little more, it traps the horrible bunny pee odor, and a pan full of the stuff can last a full day longer than aspen, meaning over time it's about the same cost.

Also it's comfier for your bunnies too, and it doesn't stick to carpet like aspen bedding does so you can actually vacuum it up.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Is there uhhh a "Good" way to transport him? :smith: I just drove him from my girlfriend's house to mine and I feel so bad because I know it scared the gently caress out of him.

Edit: Also I can't read good hurf durf, are you guys saying I should get a different bedding then?

Edit 2: I know this will sound stupid as hell but when I let him run around the basement doing whatever he wants he sort of freaks out when I go near him. He's not letting me pet him. Is he just not used to me yet or what? :(

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 26, 2010

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Is there uhhh a "Good" way to transport him? :smith: I just drove him from my girlfriend's house to mine and I feel so bad because I know it scared the gently caress out of him.

Anytime Cilantro gets a car ride, she goes in her carrier with a blanket for soft flooring and a little bit of hay to nosh on.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Bagleworm posted:

Hardwood shavings are fine - I use aspen shavings for our mouse and they're only a little more expensive and as widely available. I keep the rabbits on carpet in a pen-style cage in the kitchen. They tear up the carpet sometimes but there's just linoleum underneath.

Some day when we have access to a car I'd like to try chloroplast, though.

oh my god please be careful about the carpeting! My rabbit chewed some up and almost died twice. $2600 later he was fine but really don't risk it!

that being said, the rabbit is pretty suicidal and tries to kill himself every way that he can. And when my mom took him to the vet she agreed to everything that they wrote up in the bill including two x-rays, tests for parasites that he didn't need that visit and blood tests that were kind of unnecessary. And an overnight stay with an IV (which was necessary). I love that vet but drat, are they ever thorough.

edit:

I put mine in their carrier with a towel on the bottom. I put a pillowcase around the carrier (with the open side on the door side and cut a little strip out of the top for the handle). In the winter I felt like it protected them (somewhat) from the cold and wind and it keeps the sensory overload to a minimum.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

luscious posted:

that being said, the rabbit is pretty suicidal and tries to kill himself every way that he can.

Pretty sure that's just rabbits. Bowser once plowed through 3 different barriers to get to (and chew through) my computer cables. While there, she also pissed on the surge protector. Didn't faze her.

Edit: Also I can't read good hurf durf, are you guys saying I should get a different bedding then?

Yes. You don't need bedding, you need a litterbox with something like carefresh litter in it. Also, you need a bigger cage. Like, a lot bigger. And you need to go to rabbit.org and read basically everything.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Edit:

Melicious posted:

Pretty sure that's just rabbits. Bowser once plowed through 3 different barriers to get to (and chew through) my computer cables. While there, she also pissed on the surge protector. Didn't faze her.
I wish I could find that lolbunnies image with the bunny that chewed through some computer cables with the caption "I eat high voltage for breakfast." One of my favorites.

Edit 2: I know this will sound stupid as hell but when I let him run around the basement doing whatever he wants he sort of freaks out when I go near him. He's not letting me pet him. Is he just not used to me yet or what? :(

We (justFaye and I) use a carrier, buckled in, with a folded towel on the floor and a handful of hay. If it's a longish trip, up to visit the parents or what have you (So Cal to Nor Cal) we stop every 2 hours or so and heavily spritz water on some cilantro, celery, or romaine, and feed them a bit, mostly to give them a bit of water and keep them eating. In the summer, the sun can be pretty ridiculous down here, so I like to put a reflective car windshield shade (the flexible flat foam foil type) loosely over the top of the carrier so it doesn't get too hot in there.

Unless that's hardwood shavings, different bedding is a good idea. We like Yesterday's News in the litterbox, because it's super absorbent, and we put hay over it anyway. In their cage, which is open all the time into their carpeted playpen, we put carefresh because it's softer for their chillin comfortz, they never poop in their cage, just their litter box, so once you figure out your bun's fave pooping location, you can probably do a multi bedding thing.

When we let our buns out to play in the living room, the little one associates us coming toward her as a sign that they're about to be put away, actually, they know the sound of our TV turning off, so when the (not loud at all) blerr-burr-booo sound of the tv goes they run from wherever they are and hide, it's actually kind of funny. Perhaps that's whats happening to your bunny. Maybe you can try giving him a smallish treat to entice him over to you. A small sliver/coin of carrot or banana will give him a reason to want to come over and get some pets on, just don't over do it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 26, 2010

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My buns go into a bag that basically looks like a giant open-topped rectangle, with Zen squirming until she's firmly on top of Frith. Seriously. There's room for both of them a little snugly, but Frith insists on lying on the bottom and Zen insists on sitting on top of him.

I've never had to transport my buns in a situation that required me driving, so pretty much this lasts for 15 seconds from my apartment to the door of the cab, where I put the bag down on the seat and Zen scrambles out into my lap, front paws on the window, watching the world go by. I swear sometimes she's part dog.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Since you mentioned he's just a baby he may still be a bit malleable personalitywise. One of my friends used to keep her bun, Jimmy, in a little handbag and carry him around everywhere. Now he thinks of her as his "mommy" and will run up to her and give her bunny-kisses all over the face when she comes home.

If that doesn't work bribe the little fella with blueberries, no more than one or two at a time (remember, too much sugar can overload their systems). At first he'll nip it, wonder what the gently caress this squishy blue thing is. It's a lot like a little kid poking a weird new food right before they try it and learn "holy poo poo this is my favorite dish ever now!"

Try not to grab for him... they're still prey animals and they get freaked if you give chase, but do pick him up and handle him gently to teach him that you going up to him doesn't always mean he's gonna get shoved into the cage. If he gets kinda squirmy let him down gently after a few seconds of holding. Try feeding him on your lap. If you wanna be a total gaywad like me, nip a blueberry with your lips and let him steal it from your mouth. With luck, he'll quickly begin to think of you as a fellow bunny and start playing with you and be a total whore for pets and cuddles.

Finally treat his living space as a home, not a cage. Grabbing him and sticking him in there will just breed resentment and teach him that outside = playtime, inside = behind bars. Try shooing him in there or tempting him inside with treats, and when you need to change his litter do it under his watch so he knows you're not loving with his territory.

I learned all my bun psychology from Alucinor! :)

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

ShadowCatboy posted:

Try not to grab for him... they're still prey animals and they get freaked if you give chase, but do pick him up and handle him gently to teach him that you going up to him doesn't always mean he's gonna get shoved into the cage.

See this is the tricky part :sweatdrop:. He is one fast mother fucker, so weather I want to pick him up or actually put him in his cage he sprints the gently caress away. Would a tiny tiny bit of lettuce or carrot enticde him to come near me? :v:

Also I dig what you're saying about the cage, thats really smart. How would I go about making his cage more..."homey" though?

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 26, 2010

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

See this is the tricky part :sweatdrop:. He is one fast mother fucker, so weather I want to pick him up or actually put him in his cage he sprints the gently caress away. Would a tiny tiny bit of lettuce or carrot enticde him to come near me? :v:

Also I dig what you're saying about the cage, thats really smart. How would I go about making his cage more..."homey" though?

It takes patience. Just sit there with a book or something and read for a while, and he'll probably come up to you for a few sniffs. Offer him a treat... a small piece of carrot or fruit. Hopefully your basement is relatively clear and doesn't have many hiding spots for him to squeeze into. Spend time with him and with any luck he'll get used to you. Maybe bunch up an old t-shirt on the ground and put it close to you and he'll think it's a nice little nest to snuggle up in.

As for making his cage homey, put some toys in there like those plastic jingly balls that cats play with. A grass mat is both comfortable and edible, too.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

ShadowCatboy posted:

A grass mat is both comfortable and edible, too.

Grass mats are awesome and untreated wicker baskets (like the kind you buy specifically for bunnies) are wonderful too. Our buns love to dig at and chew up the grass mats and they toss the baskets around (and chew them to hell as well).

Also some kind of "hiding spot" would be good--a cardboard box on it's side or the like works fine.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
I've been letting him run around most the day around my living room and it's been fine. He's discovered you can go under the couch now though and I CANNOT loving GET HIM OUT. He just grabs the lettuce I offer him and runs away the jerk.

Edit: Lol ok seriously this is loving ridiculous I've been trying to catch him for thirty loving minutes. I had to over turn both my couches, this is asinine. :argh: Is this some sort of game for him? I'm really, really, really hesitant to ever let him out of his cage again after tonight.

Gaylor Moon fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 27, 2010

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I've been letting him run around most the day around my living room and it's been fine. He's discovered you can go under the couch now though and I CANNOT loving GET HIM OUT. He just grabs the lettuce I offer him and runs away the jerk.

Edit: Lol ok seriously this is loving ridiculous I've been trying to catch him for thirty loving minutes. I had to over turn both my couches, this is asinine. :argh: Is this some sort of game for him? I'm really, really, really hesitant to ever let him out of his cage again after tonight.

go to walmart/target tomorrow and get some snap cable ties and a few boxes of those square foot wire organizers. Surround everything you don't want him to get into with the stuff.

yes it's a game. You should probably come up with some sort of "trap" like logic algorithm. For instance, justFaye and I have out living room set up like this, quoting myself from earlier in this thread:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Eowyn is a bit of a pain to catch, we just set up a means to close up the pen around her. We use those cube organizers as fencing in the living room:

pre:
|                             |
|     _________________       |
|     |                |      |
|     |      Couch     |      |
|     |________________|      |
|_____________________________|
leave them space to run around the back. When it's time to put them away, I just guide them around to the back, pinch off the enclosure at the corners of the couch on both sides and they are pretty much enclosed off with no where to go so it's a lot easier to grab them.

Edit: Should you use that wire organizer stuff, I believe the target ones are only half "small" holes and half large holes, you should only use ones with small holes as some rabbits can fit through the big ones and will try and may injure themselves while doing so. I'm sure others in this thread have other means of rabbit proofing. Welcome to the "fun" part of being a rabbit owner.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sorry, buns need their out time for exercise and fun, especially if their cage is so tiny. Hopefully those couches aren't too heavy. :)

Oh yeah, another word of advice on cages/pens... never actively reach into the cage to pick up your bun. Always let him come out on his own. Respect his space and he'll like you more.

EDIT: ^^^ drat fine setup you've got there, Grav.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 27, 2010