Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

You don't want him under the couch anyway because they will almost certainly start chewing on things down there. So fence that off and I'm sure it'll be much easier overall.

Right now he's just a baby and doesn't have any set routines yet. I had trouble catching my rabbit when he was young but these days he knows that when I do things a certain way it's time to go back to the cage. And he'll hop in.

Mind you he also gets reluctant some times and just threatening to pick him up is enough to get him to go into the cage. He knows he's safe in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I totally had to call the vet and tell them that I would be late because I couldn't catch Bitsy to get her there.

Have totally picked up couches before to get her. I love how she changes from "safe" to "poo poo!" in an instant. That was only when completely necessary when she was baby. Now they go under the normal stuff as well as their cardboard set-ups which I have also lifted up a few times for medicine and whatever.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Catching rabbits a huge goddamn pain in the rear end :argh:

Just keep at it, dude. He'll settle in and be more sociable and not as much of a pain. Hang out on the floor with him and he'll get curious and come over to check things out, etc.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I remember visiting a labmate's friend's apartment once. The guy was out of town so said labmate had to go to his place to feed his bunnies every day. Unfortunately the only housing setup he had was a commercial cage, about 1.5 by 3 feet, less than half the size that a bun needs.

Because they didn't get any proper exercise they were getting fat... very big dewlaps and such. I felt terrible for them and we let them out to run around for a little while. Of course when we had to round them up they were less than agreeable, and I had to crawl under one of the couches to get one of the little dudes out.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

"You obviously don't know what 'boarding party' means."
I just wanted to take the time to say thank you everybody who yelled at me. And I mean that in a non-sarcastic way, too. At first, I was all :rant: and "How dare they embarrass me on SA!" and "Do they have any idea who I am?" about it, so I signed off and went to play with my bun-buns. But then I got it. Everyone was hard on me because they have bunnies of their own and want mine to be as happy as theirs. You guys weren't trying to condemn me, you were trying to help me out.

So here is what I did. I read up on Rabbit.org, and I am now feeding them about 1/2 c of (NOT TROPICAL CARNIVAL) Kaytee Timothy Complete Rabbit Food... it was the cheapest healthy choice at the store here, and I'm going to start with that and see how they like it. If they don't, I'll switch to another one, but believe me, they will only see the tropical carnival on very special occasions: their birthdays and Halloween. I didn't want to throw away the brand new bag, so I'll save it for treats.

I am also moving in with my boyfriend to a new home soon, but I'll be in basic training for the army. So while I'm gone, I have instructed my boyfriend to build a playpen outside their cage. Because there's two bunnies in my cage, the poop isn't in one general spot, it's kinda everywhere. However, they at least know to go inside the cage to go to the bathroom, so I have decided to surround the cage with a playpen that they can jump in and out of freely. I'm taking Bean's picture as reference, because let's face it, it looks fantastic.

Also, I'm getting them fixed next month. I'm actually sacrificing getting my own car to do this, because even though I fed them tropical carnival, I love my bunnies like my own children.

I already apologized to my bunnies for being ignorant, and I think they forgive me. :) I'm sorry for suggesting tropical carnival without even considering that I might as well have just offered your rabbits cocaine. I recently moved out of my parents house a few months ago, and actually doing things on my own and managing my money and bills etc is something I'm still getting used to, especially since I'm going to be moving again in the near future.

To end this on a pleasant note, Dorothy and Buddy say hello:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

miseerin posted:

I just wanted to take the time to say thank you everybody who yelled at me. And I mean that in a non-sarcastic way, too. At first, I was all :rant: and "How dare they embarrass me on SA!" and "Do they have any idea who I am?" about it, so I signed off and went to play with my bun-buns. But then I got it. Everyone was hard on me because they have bunnies of their own and want mine to be as happy as theirs. You guys weren't trying to condemn me, you were trying to help me out.

So here is what I did. I read up on Rabbit.org, and I am now feeding them about 1/2 c of (NOT TROPICAL CARNIVAL) Kaytee Timothy Complete Rabbit Food... it was the cheapest healthy choice at the store here, and I'm going to start with that and see how they like it. If they don't, I'll switch to another one, but believe me, they will only see the tropical carnival on very special occasions: their birthdays and Halloween. I didn't want to throw away the brand new bag, so I'll save it for treats.

I am also moving in with my boyfriend to a new home soon, but I'll be in basic training for the army. So while I'm gone, I have instructed my boyfriend to build a playpen outside their cage. Because there's two bunnies in my cage, the poop isn't in one general spot, it's kinda everywhere. However, they at least know to go inside the cage to go to the bathroom, so I have decided to surround the cage with a playpen that they can jump in and out of freely. I'm taking Bean's picture as reference, because let's face it, it looks fantastic.

Also, I'm getting them fixed next month. I'm actually sacrificing getting my own car to do this, because even though I fed them tropical carnival, I love my bunnies like my own children.

I already apologized to my bunnies for being ignorant, and I think they forgive me. :) I'm sorry for suggesting tropical carnival without even considering that I might as well have just offered your rabbits cocaine. I recently moved out of my parents house a few months ago, and actually doing things on my own and managing my money and bills etc is something I'm still getting used to, especially since I'm going to be moving again in the near future.

To end this on a pleasant note, Dorothy and Buddy say hello:

You said you read up on food at rabbit.org, but you're still not feeding them timothy hay and fresh veggies. It isn't very expensive at all to feed your buns healthy food. I would chop up some veggies for me and for Harper at the same time. You can order timothy online in bulk that ends up being cheaper than pellets ever could be.

Rabbits NEED the long strand fiber that comes from timothy hay. Getting healthier pellet food was a start, but you need to make sure they start transitioning to a diet that is around 80-90% timothy. Pellets are purely supplemental.

Why make a pen they can get in and out of? That defeats the point of an enclosure, including the issues of safety.

Of course we freaked out when you said you didn't neuter your male/female pair of buns and fed them improperly. We all have rabbits (in my case had) and want the best for all of them. We see a lot of people coming into this thread (and out in the real world) completely ignorant of how to properly feed and take care of rabbits. This leads to a lot of heartache and bad things for all involved, especially the buns.

Unwanted litters happen all too frequently, even though it is entirely avoidable. You have to think about it this way: you already HAVE the rabbits, but not the car. Which is more important: your buns or non-existent car? The buns, obviously, have priority. Keeping them healthy by preventing reproductive cancers, diseases, and unwanted litters by neutering has priority. Feeding them properly so as to prevent most all GI problems takes priority.

Tip: make sure you taper the food change slowly so it doesn't upset their GI systems. Go out and get a huge thing of timothy hay, too.

Also, your buns are adorable. They will be around to be adorable, great pets for a lot longer if you neuter them and feed them properly.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 27, 2010

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

Aaah, sorry, e/n overload totally made me forget about the rest of the diet.

Yes, yes, I have timothy hay, an endless supply in their cages.
proof for the skeptical:

Okay, so the door stays on... didn't think about security. I just thought since I'm going to be home 90% of the time might as well keep it off. (National Guard, so once a month work schedule)

I give them a handful of the tropical carnival for now... I mix it in with the new stuff so they don't realize it.

e: I was so excited about buying better food, I forgot about the timothy hay I've been afraid of feeding them, lol. Now that I know it wasn't the hay that made them have diarrhea, they're all but rolling in the timothy hay.

e2: Last night I gave them the midnight snack of chopped up lettuce, carrots, and celery, too... to add to their new diet. However, I need to get some more today as I'm running low.

miseerin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 27, 2010

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Be careful with the carrots since they are really high in sugar. Iceberg lettuce is okay to feed, but is nutritionally lacking. Romaine, or even better, spinach would be really good choices.

Thank goodness you've working on their diet!

PI success story!

We had a huge two story cube cage for Harper that locked but had it so it opened to a HUGE enclosure in our second bedroom. It kept him away from cords and other unsafe things but gave him ample room to run around and play in. Perhaps something like that would be appropriate?

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 27, 2010

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

Gumby Orgy posted:

Be careful with the carrots since they are really high in sugar. Iceberg lettuce is okay to feed, but is nutritionally lacking. Romaine, or even better, spinach would be really good choices.

Thank goodness you've working on their diet!

PI success story!

We had a huge two story cube cage for Harper that locked but had it so it opened to a HUGE enclosure in our second bedroom. It kept him away from cords and other unsafe things but gave him ample room to run around and play in. Perhaps something like that would be appropriate?

Romaine and one carrot each (:
And since I have no idea what kind of layout my new home with have, so far all I got as far as blueprint is concerned is a square enclosure with the cage in the corner.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

miseerin posted:

Romaine and one carrot each (:
And since I have no idea what kind of layout my new home with have, so far all I got as far as blueprint is concerned is a square enclosure with the cage in the corner.

Sweet.

One carrot as in one carrot piece or an entire carrot?

Edit: Fuuuuck. I'm micromanaging again. You're doing much, much better miseerin!

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

One whole carrot... I figure with the carnival food still in their diet I'd skip on the sugar.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

miseerin posted:

One whole carrot... I figure with the carnival food still in their diet I'd skip on the sugar.

Don't forget the nifty herbs. Cilantro, parsley, basil all are tasty and flavorful and pretty lean. Beet tops and the occasional slice of red beet is nice too. :)

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Try using carrots only as treats since their sugar content is so high. That's what I did with high sugar veggies and fruit for Harper. It worked really well. He LOVED dried cranberries, raisins, carrots, and fruit. A whole carrot is a little much. Perhaps a few small pieces next time. It may seem like you're depriving them, but you aren't.

^^^^Beet tops are much loved. Herbs are also really good things. Harper flipped his poo poo over parsley. It is like he knew when I had gone to the store, too. He would be waiting at the door of our second bedroom, sitting next to the pen wall, waiting for me to bring him his parsley.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 27, 2010

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

Gumby Orgy posted:

Try using carrots only as treats since their sugar content is so high. That's what I did with high sugar veggies and fruit for Harper. It worked really well. He LOVED dried cranberries, raisins, carrots, and fruit. A whole carrot is a little much. Perhaps a few small pieces next time. It may seem like you're depriving them, but you aren't.

^^^^Beet tops are much loved. Herbs are also really good things. Harper flipped his poo poo over parsley. It is like he knew when I had gone to the store, too. He would be waiting at the door of our second bedroom, sitting next to the pen wall, waiting for me to bring him his parsley.

One whole carrot = one whole baby carrot lol.

ShadowCatboy: Going to shoprite for stuff to bake a pie with, as well as bird food (I feel like Noah's Ark), so I will stop by the veggie section.

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

Gumby Orgy posted:

I heard spinach could be potentially harmful if fed too frequently because of the iron content.

Update on my buns:

Emily no longer has poop build up on her butt. She seems to be cleaning it so fingers crossed with that. They really love their veggies but they don't really like the apples. That's good I guess because of the sugar content in apples.

Pics:
Emily

Gordy

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

PumpkinPirate posted:

I heard spinach could be potentially harmful if fed too frequently because of the iron content.

Update on my buns:

Emily no longer has poop build up on her butt. She seems to be cleaning it so fingers crossed with that. They really love their veggies but they don't really like the apples. That's good I guess because of the sugar content in apples.

Pics:
Emily

Gordy

Oh, I feel a lot better knowing you have bunnies and a bird. I don't feel so bad for having so many animals now. (:

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

PumpkinPirate posted:

Update on my buns:

Pics:
Emily

Gordy

Oh man the disapproval from Emily is palpable. Good thing my room mate isn't here to hear me making crazy noises at cute bunny pictures on the internet!

Here's an updated pic of SAM-bam-thankyoumam, which is my favorite new nickname for her. I love her silly butt-fluffs

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.

okiecompy posted:

Here's an updated pic of SAM-bam-thankyoumam, which is my favorite new nickname for her. I love her silly butt-fluffs

Dang, that is a cute bunny. Is that a lionhead?..If so, how old is he? I have a lionhead bun that's over 1 year old and all he has left of his mane is some fluff on top of his head...which is why we named him Cosmo, after Kramer from Seinfeld.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Blakles posted:

Dang, that is a cute bunny. Is that a lionhead?..If so, how old is he? I have a lionhead bun that's over 1 year old and all he has left of his mane is some fluff on top of his head...which is why we named him Cosmo, after Kramer from Seinfeld.

Yep, SAMe's a lionhead. She has tons of mane and those funny butt-flaps that you can see on the back and that's all. She's about 6 and a half months old now. I love when SAMe's mane gets all static-y after she's run around on the carpet for a long time, she looks like a crazy koosh-ball-bunny.

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.

okiecompy posted:

Yep, SAMe's a lionhead. She has tons of mane and those funny butt-flaps that you can see on the back and that's all. She's about 6 and a half months old now. I love when SAMe's mane gets all static-y after she's run around on the carpet for a long time, she looks like a crazy koosh-ball-bunny.
Ahh, okay..so Sam is still young. I wanted to make sure Cosmo wasn't prematurely bald. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yay! Pictures :3: Here are some of ours.

We have a cloth lined tube that runs on the left side of the previously posted living room enclosure setup, when it's time to put them away, we just up turn it so they can't get through. Well, a few days ago, guess who tried to jump over it and just landed inside...

Godewyn and Eowyn eating hay:

Eva in her dead cockroach pose chillin with the buns:

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Eva in her dead cockroach pose chillin with the buns:

My what lovely claws you have :haw:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PumpkinPirate posted:

My what lovely claws you have :haw:

Lol, yeah. Soft paws FTW! http://www.softpaws.com/ Mostly just in case there's some freak mishap involving the buns, so she doesn't do damage, but they're completely separated when we're not around by a door. And also so our rattan stuff and the speaker grilles on my guitar amps don't get kitteh pwned.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

miseerin posted:

One whole carrot = one whole baby carrot lol.

ShadowCatboy: Going to shoprite for stuff to bake a pie with, as well as bird food (I feel like Noah's Ark), so I will stop by the veggie section.

One baby carrot's okay, but another word of advice, if their poop gets runny again it's a good idea to cut down on the carrots. (It worked for my own rabbit you see)

Blakles posted:

Ahh, okay..so Sam is still young. I wanted to make sure Cosmo wasn't prematurely bald. :)

My rabbit's part lionhead part French lop (I think) and still has a huge amount of hair at the age of 3.

I don't think they're supposed to lose hair that early but maybe it's different for every rabbit like it is for humans.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Don't limit yourself on just lettuce or spinach for buns. I feed kale, turnip greens, chard, cilantro, basil, parsley, beet tops, lettuce, spinach, arugula, celery, and carrot tops. That's probably not a complete list, but if it's green I give it to them. Head rabbit.org's warnings about kale if you have a bun with kidney issues.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

GrAviTy84 posted:

These bunnies seriously do not give a gently caress about that cat.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Serella posted:

These bunnies seriously do not give a gently caress about that cat.

They get along just fine. We've seen them drink out of the same water bowl at the same time. And Eva even tries to eat their hay, it's really quite funny.

miseerin
Apr 4, 2008

Bunway Airlines posted:

Don't limit yourself on just lettuce or spinach for buns. I feed kale, turnip greens, chard, cilantro, basil, parsley, beet tops, lettuce, spinach, arugula, celery, and carrot tops. That's probably not a complete list, but if it's green I give it to them. Head rabbit.org's warnings about kale if you have a bun with kidney issues.

I think for now I'm going to stick to what I know they go apeshit over, at least until I wean them off the Halloween candy diet I had them on. One thing at a time (I'm currently weaning my bird off the strictly seeds/millet diet he was on before I got him). but believe me when I say I wrote the list down.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think that white one is actually a guinea pig

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Somebody's being sizeist about ears.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I want to make sure nothing is wrong...

I was playing XBox, the buns sprawled out and cuddling together next to the chair, and then I hear a thump sound. I look down and see Sprout on top of Dodger mid hump, so I yell and clap but nothing really happens. I clap again and Dodger starts to run/scoot behind the couch, but it seems Sprout has chomped down on his scruff and keeps humping him, until finally midway behind the couch her fat rear end got stuck or bored and Dodger got away.

I have no idea why she did this, I haven't seen them do anything of the sort, ever. About 10 minutes later the two of them were eating hay together and seemed fine, and I pet Dodger and felt around his scruff, to which he just loafed out and enjoyed it, so I assume no injuries despite the tuft of fur in Sprout's mouth.

Is this something I should be worried about or keep an eye on? At this point they're both 2 years old or a little older, both been fixed for at least a year, and get along, but I've never seen Sprout do that since she raped my forearm before getting fixed (and during that she drew blood from the bite and made this weird chirping sound).

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
You're fine. It's a mild dominance display, nothing to be worried about. It probably happens more than you realize, but it's so short and insignificant that you rarely see it. I have a pair, Daisy and Wordsworth, who do the same thing. They've been together since 2005, and Daisy is totally his boss, but once in a blue moon I'll come in and find Wordsworth latched on and humping her for all he's worth. She just takes it until she's ready to be somewhere else then she'll walk away until he falls off. She's several pounds larger than him so it's pretty funny.

Bean posted:

Way old, but this is a nice setup. :swoon:

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Fffffff bad baby bunny couches are not for pissing on and they're not for hiding under either :argh:

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Babies do that. Just remember don't get angry and act menacingly. He will associate peeing with being bad and will do it in secret places. Put a litterbox where they like to pee.

Oh and for the record if you like rabbits I hope you're not too attached to your furniture. It WILL be nibbled on, pissed on and get covered in hair. Welcome to being a rabbit owner!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

miseerin posted:

I think for now I'm going to stick to what I know they go apeshit over, at least until I wean them off the Halloween candy diet I had them on. One thing at a time (I'm currently weaning my bird off the strictly seeds/millet diet he was on before I got him). but believe me when I say I wrote the list down.

That's fine, gradual change is best for their GI track anyway. Experiment and see what they like, mine even like a lot of the rare Asian greens.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

DS at Night posted:

Babies do that. Just remember don't get angry and act menacingly. He will associate peeing with being bad and will do it in secret places. Put a litterbox where they like to pee.

Oh and for the record if you like rabbits I hope you're not too attached to your furniture. It WILL be nibbled on, pissed on and get covered in hair. Welcome to being a rabbit owner!

Not just furniture.

My buns chew on my door jambs. Like, what?

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

angelicism posted:

Not just furniture.

My buns chew on my door jambs. Like, what?

A friend of mine's bunny got ahold of the TV remote control and chewed off the buttons.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine ate part of my shoes. He also tries to eat his brick. The chipped appearance of the edge at one side tells me he's starting to get somewhere.

Edit: I also have tooth marks on my walls.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Melicious posted:

A friend of mine's bunny got ahold of the TV remote control and chewed off the buttons.

Godewyn loves to do that with our DVR remote. Fortunately he's only chewed off the 1 button, although the power button and one of the arrows are hanging in for dear life. Also in a previous apartment I lived in, he chewed off the bottom edge of all my kitchen cabinets. I tried as best I could to keep him from doing that, but he would always figure out a way to get past the blockade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Harper chewed through my laptop cable. That wasn't cheap to replace, either (Macbook). He also chewed through my cell phone charger cable.

I thought I had bunnyproofed areas he would run around in, but those two times I had to use the desk in the second bedroom, I didn't keep the cords far enough away.

Nearly 170 dollars later...