Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Greedish posted:

I am really sad I missed the Mexico song. I watched it on Youtube but it's just not the same if you're not experiencing. I got on the horse, but then got off and called mine since mine was faster. I guess that broke it?

I really should have paid more attention to the atmosphere and how magical the game was instead of treating it like just another game.

Hijacks, fake hijacks, shop thieves? What?

If it's any consolation, with all the hype on that scene I built it up as too much in my mind before I saw it. I was still impressed, I guess. But it definitely lacked the impact if I would have never seen it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

Kin posted:

:words:

Awesome spoiler tags you gently caress. Everyone here has been so good about spoilering stuff to make the game really enjoyable for those of us who are taking our sweet rear end time and then, here comes you...

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
You didn't actually use spoiler tags, you moron

e: ok you changed it to :words: but I was right when I posted it

Greedish fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 28, 2010

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Shingin posted:

Not sure what happened to my game but the results are hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w91rAUDVR60

It's h-h-h-HAUNTED!

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
This will be the first Xbox Live game I've actually wanted to play, but how do you use the Metatags? I've added RedDeadGoons2 as a friend and logged in to accept myself, but it just shows up on XBL as a friend that never logs on. What am I doing wrong?

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
You use the friends of friend feature to see other goons.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Prophecy120 posted:

This will be the first Xbox Live game I've actually wanted to play, but how do you use the Metatags? I've added RedDeadGoons2 as a friend and logged in to accept myself, but it just shows up on XBL as a friend that never logs on. What am I doing wrong?

You need to view his personal info which will give you the "view friends" option. Go through that and find Goons playing RDR and add them as friends.

Speaking of...other than just roaming around with people the MP aspects are pretty shite. I entered a game and BOOM sniped from afar by some douche. Spawned again and BOOM headshot within half a second. Can they just loving not put a sniper class in one goddamned multiplayer game please?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just got a stranger task in Armadillo, really early in the game. Where in hell is Hanging Rock? I can't find it on the map

e: never mind, just hadn't gotten to the 'stranger tasks purple dot" instruction yet, so the dot wasn't there

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

Well gently caress, just had my first crash in 25 hours of playing this game, right after the Mexico mission where you're betrayed by the army and Reyes saves you. And I mean right after, the cutscene ended with Marston walking away and voila - black screen and nothing.

Mine did the exact same thing in the same spot the first time. After rebooting and doing the mission over it worked fine.

Brightman posted:

Also I feel like I saw something written or carved somewhere that might be the beastmaster cheat (it wasn't the one for the horse spawn, I already got that one). I'll go look for it later but it might be nothing.

In the church in Tumbleweed, the phrase 'the devil has got into that beast' is carved in to the pulpit. It could be just a foreboding message but the fact that we know there's a cheat called 'Beastmaster' makes me thing it's a cheat code -- however, it says it's not valid when you enter it. Rockstar messed up on a couple of the codes with punctuation errors though, so it might still be possible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dickeye posted:

I just got a stranger task in Armadillo, really early in the game. Where in hell is Hanging Rock? I can't find it on the map

Look kind of due north of Armadillo. You can see it from a distance. It's a medium sized rock formation with a tree/noose on it. It's kind of prominent from a distance so it shouldn't be too hard to spot. It's not huge or anything...just like 10 feet tall.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

End Game Spoilers Ahoy

I actually like playing as Jack at the end. While John is a great protagonist and one of my favorite characters ever, I actually got too attached to him and couldn't play him as anything but a bad-guy-turned-good. Jack is more of a blank slate and even though his voice work leaves a little to be desired, my conscious doesn't reel at the thought of him gunning down a stage coach like it did with John :ohdear:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Shingin posted:

It's quite simple, the horse is ghostriding his own cart :whatup:

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Omnicarus posted:

End Game Spoilers Ahoy

I actually like playing as Jack at the end. While John is a great protagonist and one of my favorite characters ever, I actually got too attached to him and couldn't play him as anything but a bad-guy-turned-good. Jack is more of a blank slate and even though his voice work leaves a little to be desired, my conscious doesn't reel at the thought of him gunning down a stage coach like it did with John :ohdear:

It also is a great way to leave it open for R* to make some badass campaign size DLC :allears:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

End Game Spoilers Ahoy

I actually was fine letting John's base instinct get the better of him and have him beat up annoying preachers, tie up women who lure him into gunfire onto train tracks, and rob banks. (BIG ENDGAME SPOILER) I like Jack being a good guy and John having raised a good son being his ultimate redemption. :unsmith:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I don't know if it's been mentioned but there is a way past the weapon wheel if you can't switch without being killed.

The pause menu, and go to the weapons option. In there it has an option to equip selected weapon.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
After end game stuff: Man, Jack has already killed more innocent people than his father ever has in my wrapping up of the last missions. This pump-action shot gun is just too good.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Can they just loving not put a sniper class in one goddamned multiplayer game please?

Agreed. I just want one game without them.

Snipers are the worst kind of people. Using a sniper rifle makes every multiplayer game into the exact same experience (for the shooter).

1)Hide as far from the action as possible
2)target distant moving objects
3)pull trigger
4)repeat until you die
5)respawn and do it all over again

You lose all the nuance of what makes individual games unique when you see it all through the distant scope of rifle.

I honestly don't get the appeal.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.
Fun fact: In Mark Twain's story "The Mysterious Stranger," the mysterious stranger is god.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Zero Karizma posted:

Snipers are the worst kind of people. Using a sniper rifle makes every multiplayer game into the exact same experience (for the shooter).

3)pull trigger
4)repeat until you die

You lose all the nuance of what makes individual games unique when you see it all through the distant scope of rifle.

Because everyone has to be a sniper so it matches their xX1337SN1P3RXx gamertag.

Personally I don't understand it either, when I do use a sniper rifle I'm usually still close enough to get shot as well. I also tend to switch positions after every shot.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

BonoMan posted:

What am I missing about Liar's Dice? It seems loving retarded. You're not calling anybody's bluff because everyone is really just guessing. We had a similar game called Bullshit, but it was based on cards. And that way when someone claimed they had something you COULD call their bluff because you could possible have, say, 3 aces and they say they have 2. Thus it wouldn't add up and you call bullshit.

However with Liar's Dice..anybody can have anything and it's not until it gets down to 1 or 2 dice a piece that you can really tell if anybody's lying. It's loving stupid.

You're missing playing it with actual human beings instead of a computer. Get some friends together and play it and have a lot more fun. The AI in Red Dead for liar's dice is stupid and will literally never call spot-on, and will often place absurd bids that couldn't possibly be true. Playing with actual people is tons of fun.

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Zero Karizma posted:

K/D RATIOS, NOOB!

Seriously, I think measures should be taken to analyze playstyle serverside, so that perpetual snipers can only join games against other perpetual snipers.

This goes for every game.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
A couple of awesome things toward the end of Mexico:
Beating the poo poo out of De Santa cutscene was pretty hardcore. Also if you choose to walk away once you're done you make it about 10 steps before you hear the gunshot. Goddamn beautifully timed.
Conversation with Reyes en route to some checkpoint:
:ese:: *joking* "I hope since we're friends you'll let me know if you plan to kill me"
:clint:: *dead serious* "Oh don't worry, you'll be the first to know if I decide to kill you"

edit: a little late, but great job on the OP, OP.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 28, 2010

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

story complete.

game complete: 98.1% :argh:

edit: I think all I have left to do is wanted posters

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 28, 2010

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lugubrious posted:

You're missing playing it with actual human beings instead of a computer. Get some friends together and play it and have a lot more fun. The AI in Red Dead for liar's dice is stupid and will literally never call spot-on, and will often place absurd bids that couldn't possibly be true. Playing with actual people is tons of fun.

I'm sure it's a bit more fun, but I'm talking about the objective of the game. Guess how many dice are on the table. Someone might say you're guess is wrong. It might be wrong..it might not. It's not a "bluff" because even you don't know if you're right or wrong. I think it would just be more fun if it was with cards and you could actually really bluff. Oh well.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Zero Karizma posted:

3)pull trigger
4)repeat until you die

The only game I enjoyed sniping (and that require a bit of skill due to wind/bullet drop and where to position yourself on the terrain) was Delta Force 1/2. That game had a wicked audio engine (or w/e) for it's time , everyone on the map (Maps were unlimited, they were just voxel tiles of terrain repeated forever) knew when a sniper shot, so the sniper had to move his rear end because no doubt someone would hunt that sucker down. Plus, like I said, the 'maps' could involve sniping from distances at 1km-2km+.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Loving the game so far, though some of the bugs and glitches detract it is overall a kick rear end game worth being played once at the bare minimum.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I'm sure it's a bit more fun, but I'm talking about the objective of the game. Guess how many dice are on the table. Someone might say you're guess is wrong. It might be wrong..it might not. It's not a "bluff" because even you don't know if you're right or wrong. I think it would just be more fun if it was with cards and you could actually really bluff. Oh well.
What you're bluffing is your confidence in the statement even if you happen to be correct.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

bitey posted:

Fun fact: In Mark Twain's story "The Mysterious Stranger," the mysterious stranger is god.

I thought it was Satan's nephew, Satan?

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

simosimo posted:

The only game I enjoyed sniping (and that require a bit of skill due to wind/bullet drop and where to position yourself on the terrain) was Delta Force 1/2. That game had a wicked audio engine (or w/e) for it's time , everyone on the map (Maps were unlimited, they were just voxel tiles of terrain repeated forever) knew when a sniper shot, so the sniper had to move his rear end because no doubt someone would hunt that sucker down. Plus, like I said, the 'maps' could involve sniping from distances at 1km-2km+.

To be honest, when snipers were new to me, I loved em. (Like in Unreal Tournament and Goldeneye for me.)

For a Wild West game though... what the gently caress? I mean, I'm sure there was some kind of long range rifles back then, but who associated sniper rifles with their memories of cowboy movies? It just kinda kills part of the experience.

What I want is to blast bitches out of saloons and off rooftops with pistols, shotguns, and regular scope-less rifles.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Snipers aren't a problem, it's the lock-on that is - and Rockstar have said they're going to implement a expert targeting only Free Roam later this year (possibly this Summer).

A bug I had happen to me the other day that I managed to recover from: was resting at one of those random camps on the roadside, and after a few minutes the camera went into 'scenic screensaver mode', when I moved the stick to get back to the action, the camp was gone and I was stuck kneeling in the prayer position.

The only way to get out of it is to drop another camp from your pack. If you don't have a camp, you're hosed.

Anyway, the lord works in mysterious ways:

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 28, 2010

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

BonoMan posted:

You can bluff in the sense that there's nothing stopping you from bidding something you don't have. If you start the bid with three sixes and you have zero under your cup, instead of bidding two ones that you DO have, and the next guy doesn't call your bluff, everyone else now has false information about your dice - they'll probably think you have a couple sixes at least, which will influence their future bids. It's no different then bluffing in poker or any other gambling game - giving your opponents information that they have to decide for themselves whether or not it's true or false.

It might also just not be for you, which is always a possibility.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Shingin posted:

My game started doing this around the time I got towards the ending.

I also experience strange lag when playing poker (or any card game)

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Harmonica posted:

Snipers aren't a problem, it's the lock-on that is - and Rockstar have said they're going to implement a expert targeting only Free Roam later this year (possibly this Summer).

Yeaaaah... any wait longer than a few weeks is probably going to be too late for me.

I'm loving this game, but SO much good stuff just came out. RDR might have a date with Doctor Craigslist if I get bored before the fix finally rolls in.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Okay so I just wrapped up 'Son of Daedelus' and I was sure when I was examining that thing.. At the end you know the crashed remains of his glider. That I'd find the binoculars.

Where the hell do you get the binoculars??

dreadfulwater
May 13, 2005

Murder Machine
is there any reason why I am seeing a 4:3 box on the screen on my PS3 version of RDR. everything is set up properly. system is set to 1080P on both sides. so the screen is displaying the full image, but I see two faint vertical lines that seem to form the sides of a box. no idea. its ugly and pissing me off. I dont think its image retention either. I watch all my programming in 16:9

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Rei_ posted:

Okay so I just wrapped up 'Son of Daedelus' and I was sure when I was examining that thing.. At the end you know the crashed remains of his glider. That I'd find the binoculars.

Where the hell do you get the binoculars??

A mission in West Elizabeth, the third area. It's a mission for McDougal (the first one I think?) if you want to get the binoculars early.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Slayer1597 posted:

Step One: Take the power cable out of your Xbox, and Unplug it from the wall.

Step Two: Take the plug end of the cord and tie it around the rest of the cord in a sliding knot.

Step Three: Fasten Other end of cord to a sturdy Roof Beam

Step Four: Place Chair beneath the loop in your Cord.

Step Five: Place head in loop of cord.

Step Six: Remove chair with a firm kick.

Enjoy!

Please do this to yourself. TIA

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Marton's Peggy Hill spanish gets better the angrier he gets.

JOHN!
MARSTON!
REMEMBER MI NOM-BRAY!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Just finished a mission for Nigel West Dickens. Hop off the coach, walk around to him. He pulls out his wang and starts pissing all over my shoes.

"We make a jolly good team don't we Mister Marston" as he pisses on me.

Could not make this poo poo up. What a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone who plays this game on anything other than a surround sound system is missing out on probably the best part of the game. I used to play on just the TV speakers, but I turned on my reciever and it opened up a whole new level of awesomeness. Every sound in this game is perfect and really adds to the experience.

• Locked thread