Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I think my cheat system got hosed. Before it was easy as hell to keep the arrow from going to far to the left or right, but now, whenever I even activate cheating in poker, I get called out right away. All I want to do is cheat at cards and now every hand I play I'm getting duel challeneged. :(

you have to do it when you've got the deck in your hand, anytime after that you're busted immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

AndyElusive posted:

:bang:

Been there, done that. Step 5 is completely eluding me. I'll give it a third shot I suppose.

Make sure Marston is facing the lady. When I had him looking the other way it didn't unlock.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I am definitely not saying that I am any good at this game but, I haven't had any trouble with bears or cougars at all. A bear killed me once when I was knife fighting it and a cougar killed my horse one time but that is it. I was even sneak attacked by Khan when I was skinning a coyote and I was still able to pull through and finish him off. I have more trouble with boars than anything else.

A sawed off shotgun seems to have the stopping power of a handful of thrown gummibears. This is especially true in multiplayer. When I am around 10-12 yards from someone and I give them both barrels I expect them to die and not finish me off with a loving Cattleman revolver. In the Lost and the Damned a sawed off seemed like the best loving weapon. Aren't they basically the same weapon in both time periods?

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

northerain posted:

If I'm allowed to complain about one little thing: The treasure map is poo poo.

I spent at least an hour trying to find the rocks that I could see in the map but couldn't find anything like it. I knew I was in the right location, but nothing matched.
I guess the ''II'' thing on the map is like a zoomed in drawing of the actual location?

Stupid.

I agree I spent at least a few hours trying to find the first treasure that you get a map for and well, nothing I apparently am a retard and there are no rocks set in a "square-ish formation"

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
If you're on Xbox, there's a video on the dashboard now for all the treasure locations.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Slayer1597 posted:

I agree I spent at least a few hours trying to find the first treasure that you get a map for and well, nothing I apparently am a retard and there are no rocks set in a "square-ish formation"

It's right up on the Hanging Rock. Just circle around it and you'll find it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

northerain posted:

If I'm allowed to complain about one little thing: The treasure map is poo poo.

I spent at least an hour trying to find the rocks that I could see in the map but couldn't find anything like it. I knew I was in the right location, but nothing matched.
I guess the ''II'' thing on the map is like a zoomed in drawing of the actual location?

Stupid.

Yeah, puzzlingly, that first treasure is the hardest to find, I think. The map does appear to be showing you several different groups of rocks, and when you go to hanging rock, it does kind of look like there are that many groups of rocks, so your natural inclination is to look at the map that way. Even when you do figure out what the II means, it still isn't a very good illustration of where the treasure is. The treasure after this one is kind of tricky too, but after that they aren't so bad - the challenge only becomes figuring out which landmark it's sending you to.

RandolphCarter posted:

you have to do it when you've got the deck in your hand, anytime after that you're busted immediately.

I've also found that trying to cheat while dealing with only one other player at the table is nearly impossible, I get busted almost immediately. The best way to cheat, I think, is to cheat once while dealing at the beginning of the game, and then only cheat from the cards in your hand after that. Cheating while dealing is harder to pull off, but cheating from the cards in your hand is usually pretty safe. Plus when you cheat while dealing you never know what you're going to get, your pocket is a safer bet.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 28, 2010

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

northerain posted:

It's right up on the Hanging Rock. Just circle around it and you'll find it.

but it shows the hanging tree like in the background on the map, i am just so confused!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Slayer1597 posted:

Really? I am finding the treasure maps to be easy enough. The first one all you have to do is go to the major location that is displayed on the map and then look for exactly what the map shows :confused: it's literally just displaying it for you.

Slayer1597 posted:

but it shows the hanging tree like in the background on the map, i am just so confused!
It shows a big rock. There is exactly one big rock in the area. Look there.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I actually really like the treasure maps. These vague maps are a really fun way to keep it vague, like a real treasure hunt.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It shows a big rock. There is exactly one big rock in the area. Look there.

I haven't found that yet either, I usually poke around every time I'm around there. And this does not help. Slayer is still super loving annoying though!

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Maps should be logical. If you're showing a drawing and you're pointing to some rocks that appear to be a ways off from the Hanging Rock and to the right, that's where it should be.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I thought they were all pretty straightforward with the exception of the second one. The general location was easy enough but drat if I didn't slide down the hill past it about six times wondering where the hell it was exactly.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Laughing Man posted:

I haven't found that yet either, I usually poke around every time I'm around there. And this does not help. Slayer is still super loving annoying though!

dude?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
You morons are the reason most games hold everybody's hand like we're all tards. :ughh:

The treasure maps are one of the best things in the game, and I wish they never ended (found all of them without looking anything up).

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Laughing Man posted:

Spoiler in case you don't want to know but have you gone to Hanging Rock? Tell me you figured that much out at least. I think it's THE first landmark in the game that you find.

Hint: Hanging Rock consists of a big rock. Forget about the tree.

Sco Dylan posted:

You morons are the reason most games hold everybody's hand like we're all tards. :ughh:

The treasure maps are one of the best things in the game, and I wish they never ended (found all of them without looking anything up).
I looked up the second but I was in the right area, I just couldn't find it on the side of the cliff. Kept falling off or going past it, saw a video and was like "okay so I just barely missed it".

I love looking at the maps and going "oh it's that place!!" and recognizing the landmark from the storyline.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Sco Dylan posted:

You can say he's being harsh, but that doesn't make him any less correct.

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008
One of the few complaints I have about this game is you can fail a mission by accidentally running over a retarded NPC that decided to walk in front of you (This happened to me in Mexico a lot).

Also has anyone else had the game lock up during duels?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Okay, I've changed my mind about (Big spoilers, do not read if you haven't finished the game) the Strange Man. Apparently the ridge you meet him on is the ridge where you're eventually buried. So, I do think he's death. I've also heard that he appears behind the firing squad, but I couldn't get a good enough look.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Sco Dylan posted:

Pretty much this. Also remember that the maps weren't necessarily drawn by a genius. Maybe it was good enough for the drawer to remember where the poo poo was buried, and it was never intended for some stranger to find it.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I quite like Free For All alot, especially gold rush, but gently caress McFarlenes Ranch and everyone grabbing the High Powered Pistol. Ugh.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Slayer1597 posted:

dude?

Sorry, everyone hates you here too. Go take some Super Awesome Bong Rips and play with pubbies.

Also, tonight my usual goons, let's do some Gang Matches. We should be able to do awesome poo poo as we can work together.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

der juicen posted:

Sorry, everyone hates you here too. Go take some Super Awesome Bong Rips and play with pubbies.

What the gently caress is going on here?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

der juicen posted:

Also, tonight my usual goons, let's do some Gang Matches. We should be able to do awesome poo poo as we can work together.

Ban Slayer now.

I'll join your group again in about a week, Brostophales. My replacement lamp is too dim and I can barely see poo poo - so for the time-being I'm just playing single player. My new projector gets here next Friday.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

After picking up 'Fightin' Around the World' I followed every idea given here on how to snag the Dastardly achievement and got it. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first couple of times.

Anyways, now I feel evil. Thanks cow-pokes.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

AndyElusive posted:

After picking up 'Fightin' Around the World' I followed every idea given here on how to snag the Dastardly achievement and got it. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first couple of times.

Anyways, now I feel evil. Thanks cow-pokes.

Did you have to do the ground tackle?

I feel like I've knocked someone out in every saloon on the list I saw, but I never did ground tackles just punched til they fell over (and it counted as a knockout in my stats).

Wondering if maybe that's the issue, or if I missed one (or did one on a save I reloaded or something).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Wondering if maybe that's the issue, or if I missed one (or did one on a save I reloaded or something).
- Armadillo
- Blackwater
- Escalera
- Chuparosa
- Casa Madrugda
- Rathskeller Fork
- Thieves Landing

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've finally discovered the majesty of pushing in this game. At first I wrote it off because I was assuming it would be a dainty push like in GTA IV, but no! John puts his back into it, it is a mighty shove that sends people flying and screaming. And unless they have a gun, nobody seems to give a poo poo. It's a pretty great timekiller while you wait for a lawman to post a bounty or something.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've finally discovered the majesty of pushing in this game. At first I wrote it off because I was assuming it would be a dainty push like in GTA IV, but no! John puts his back into it, it is a mighty shove that sends people flying and screaming. And unless they have a gun, nobody seems to give a poo poo. It's a pretty great timekiller while you wait for a lawman to post a bounty or something.
I accidentally kicked a dog when I was trying to shove someone and he would not leave me alone. He followed me all over town biting the hell out of me. So be careful of town dogs.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Timeless Appeal posted:

Okay, I've changed my mind about (Big spoilers, do not read if you haven't finished the game) the Strange Man. Apparently the ridge you meet him on is the ridge where you're eventually buried. So, I do think he's death. I've also heard that he appears behind the firing squad, but I couldn't get a good enough look.

STRANGE MAN SSPOILERS, THE POST I'M QUOTING HAS END GAME SPOILERS

I'm in with the whole he's god theory, I mean in the last time you meet him and Marston yells drat YOU at him he's just like "ah yes, many have," as in god drat you for loving me again. Only time people say drat devil is in Slingo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^Yeah, I thought the same, but damning death makes sense since it's such a widely disliked aspect of life. Also, the idea that death literally follows Marston wherever he goes kind of makes sense. Ultimately, we'll never know. He could just be a weird guy and Marston pulled a Pulpfiction with his shots.^

I'm curious if Blackwater is intended to be a reference to the modern Blackwater mercenaries. The fact that you have federal agents from there who abuse their power makes me think so.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 28, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rusty posted:

I accidentally kicked a dog when I was trying to shove someone and he would not leave me alone. He followed me all over town biting the hell out of me. So be careful of town dogs.

I once accidentally kicked a cougar while trying to knife it for my hunter challenge. It was oddly satisfying even though it was most definitely not what I meant to do.

In other news, a "Bonnie McFarlane" popped up as a suggested friend on facebook. A real person, no less. That can't be coincidence, but I don't know how facebook knew.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
How do you shove? L2 + O? (LT + B?)
Do you have to select your Fists?

I've been playing Jose Gonzalez's Far Away (aka "The Mexico Song") in almost constant rotation with other choice lonely Cowboy badass songs since I've heard it.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008

Digital Scumbag posted:

How do you shove? L2 + O? (LT + B?)
Do you have to select your Fists?

It's the fire button with no weapon out.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sco Dylan posted:

Did you have to do the ground tackle?

I did the ground tackle in a few, but I'm sure it's not a requirement for the achievement, just make sure you knock someone, anyone out in every saloon or canteen on the list Cat Machine posted.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Excellent, thanks. There's a small shove with the fists out with L2 + O is why I ask. Whenever I put up my dukes, though, the AI blocks it. Wonder what it's for.

They should let you press Draw and Fire at the same time to quickdraw some fools. That'd be cool.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

So how exactly do you take a bounty alive? I've gotten a few but every time I shoot them in the legs, make sure they don't die, and they're just sitting there with whatever weapon they happen to have futilely trying to kill me while I'm trying to figure this poo poo out, I just don't get it.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So how exactly do you take a bounty alive? I've gotten a few but every time I shoot them in the legs, make sure they don't die, and they're just sitting there with whatever weapon they happen to have futilely trying to kill me while I'm trying to figure this poo poo out, I just don't get it.

Get the lasso, do Bonnie missions (to get it).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was actually planning on using the second-to-the-op post for guides and user made stuff (like cougar lady, dog man, etc), and there is a guide on pushing someone made that I was going to include. But I was hoping to find the "How to duel" and "How to play Poker" guides first before I got started on putting it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Until you get given the lasso, you wont be able to take any bounties in alive.

Edit: Beaten to it! ^^

• Locked thread