Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Yeah, by about the third mission you get the lasso. Then just hogtie them up, put them on your horse, and bring back to Marshall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

Ainsley McTree posted:

I once accidentally kicked a cougar while trying to knife it for my hunter challenge. It was oddly satisfying even though it was most definitely not what I meant to do.

Good for you. I only wish the game would play "Hey cat... gently caress YOU." when you kick a cougar.

quote:

In other news, a "Bonnie McFarlane" popped up as a suggested friend on facebook. A real person, no less. That can't be coincidence, but I don't know how facebook knew.

There's a fairly popular stand up comic with that name. I assumed it was a reference.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Racing Tip:
Tapping the sprint 3-4 times before holding for a short length of time works infinitely better than mashing sprint until empty then holding until stamina refills.
Sounds so simple, but it took me a while to get the hang of it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zero Karizma posted:

There's a fairly popular stand up comic with that name. I assumed it was a reference.

It might be her, actually. The reason facebook suggested her is because of a mutual facebook friend who is also a fairly well-connected stand up comic. Mystery solved!

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
You know, I like Rockstar games, and have played nearly all of them. I find them fun, but was never compelled to play them through to the end.
Until now.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I've gotten in quite a few fistfights, and I've never seen the prompt to hit the triangle button. Where does it appear on the screen? What do I need to do to make it appear?

Does anyone else get annoyed that you can't pause when the game is auto-saving? When I take a wanted poster, I usually want to plot a course to my target. It's a little frustrating that I need to wait for my PS3 to finish before I can open my map.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Digital Scumbag posted:

You know, I like Rockstar games, and have played nearly all of them. I find them fun, but was never compelled to play them through to the end.
Until now.

I always play them through to the end, but this is the only one that I feel compelled to 100%. I nearly did it too, until I got bored and started a new game and accidentally saved over my save file. Now I have to do it all over again but interestingly, I'm still having fun.

Some of these hunting challenges can bite me though. Stabbing cougars and looking for skunks wasn't even fun the first time. I'm also not looking forward to clearing the poker table in Blackwater again. The first time was basically luck.

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Does anyone else get annoyed that you can't pause when the game is auto-saving? When I take a wanted poster, I usually want to plot a course to my target. It's a little frustrating that I need to wait for my PS3 to finish before I can open my map.

Maybe it's worse on the PS3, but it literally takes less than 2 seconds on the 360, I didn't find it to be a very big deal.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Ok so how do I start this strange man quest? I hadn't even heard of it until the past couple pages of this thread. I've completed the main story but I have a save from when I was in Blackwater as well if that's needed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

der juicen posted:

Sorry, everyone hates you here too. Go take some Super Awesome Bong Rips and play with pubbies.

Also, tonight my usual goons, let's do some Gang Matches. We should be able to do awesome poo poo as we can work together.

Creature let's play. Send me an xbox invite when you do this.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
So how do you do the treasure hunting thing? I got a map, and I'm pretty sure I found the spot, but nothing happens. I don't have a shovel or anything. I checked the shops in Armadillo and couldn't seem to find anything.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

mangler103 posted:

So how do you do the treasure hunting thing? I got a map, and I'm pretty sure I found the spot, but nothing happens. I don't have a shovel or anything. I checked the shops in Armadillo and couldn't seem to find anything.

You don't need a shovel or anything. You just need to look at the map and figure out where it is.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

mangler103 posted:

See this is a fair question about the treasure hunting. They could be more clear on the whole "you don't need a shovel" thing.

For the first one, look around back, it's a little trickier than you think. Treasures are not buried, but hidden in a small pile of white stones.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Sco Dylan posted:

You morons are the reason most games hold everybody's hand like we're all tards. :ughh:

The treasure maps are one of the best things in the game, and I wish they never ended (found all of them without looking anything up).

Yes this is me, you found me out. I make games hold everybody's hand.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Irn--Bru posted:

Ok so how do I start this strange man quest? I hadn't even heard of it until the past couple pages of this thread. I've completed the main story but I have a save from when I was in Blackwater as well if that's needed.
You do need to reload since you can't do the mission after completing the story. Go to New Austin, he's in Hennigan's Stead. After you do the first mission, he'll show up on the map.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Timeless Appeal posted:

You do need to reload since you can't do the mission after completing the story. Go to New Austin, he's in Hennigan's Stead. After you do the first mission, he'll show up on the map.

cheers

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Treasures are just buried under an obvious pile of rocks. Lets get that out of the way for the first one. Once you know that, the puzzle solving aspect for the following maps is awesome. I loved the vagueness of it. It's a loving TREASURE HUNT! Of course you should have to work for it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Laughing Man posted:

STRANGE MAN SSPOILERS, THE POST I'M QUOTING HAS END GAME SPOILERS

I'm in with the whole he's god theory, I mean in the last time you meet him and Marston yells drat YOU at him he's just like "ah yes, many have," as in god drat you for loving me again. Only time people say drat devil is in Slingo.

"God drat you" is not saying "drat God," it's demanding that God drat someone into hell, how can you interpret it as damning God?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So I was dicking around in Multiplayer with my Bull mount and I was in this big gun fight at Armadillo, got off my mount to go Buffalo Rifle some dude and another guy got the drop on me and was about to hollow my head out with a rifle when my Bull came out of nowhere to run that dude over.

This loving game!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hmmm, is it only after the first mission in blackwater that the strange man will appear? I've loaded my blackwater save but I think it was after doing a couple of missions. The current stranger mission still showing up for me is the part of lights, camera, action where i need to go play liars dice. Do I need to complete that quest first maybe?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Irn--Bru posted:

Hmmm, is it only after the first mission in blackwater that the strange man will appear? I've loaded my blackwater save but I think it was after doing a couple of missions. The current stranger mission still showing up for me is the part of lights, camera, action where i need to go play liars dice. Do I need to complete that quest first maybe?

The strange man should first appear early in the game, while you're still in New Austin.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Ainsley McTree posted:

The strange man should first appear early in the game, while you're still in New Austin.

Hmm i didnt pay much attention to the stranger missions back then as I was flying through the story. I did do a couple but none for him. Hope he still appears, I don't fancy starting a new game as I still have quite a lot of other poo poo to do as well in this one.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, it's probably better to just save him for a replay. He really isn't as awesome if you just do all his missions in one swipe.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KingShiro posted:

Ugh Sharpshooter Rank 10 is gonna be horrible.

I thought this was going to be a lot more difficult than it was. I tried a bunch of Deadeye poo poo with the Evans and it just wouldn't work for me, so I tried the suggestion in the OP sorta. Go to one of the gang hideouts, I liked Fort Mercer the best because it gives you the most cover and for the most part lets you access just one enemy at a time if you stay on the roof. Take the Carabano sniper rifle or whatever the one is called with the 5 round mag, you'll probably need one Deadeye refill, and just aim for their guns (not their hands, the actual guns). Using Deadeye refills your ammo without counting as a reload and if you need to walk someplace to find another enemy, just quickly go in and out of Deadeye to reload the weapon so it doesn't do it automatically.

poptart_fairy posted:

Asked this in the other thread, but lost track of it when this one appeared. :iiam:

Is there much point in replaying the game as the opposite 'alignment' once you've completed it once already?

I saw your question in the other thread and had been wondering the same thing, I don't think anyone even answered it. No, it's not worth it. The story seems to be the same no matter which way you do it (I haven't tested this out though) and the only real difference is with honor all the way down you make less money and everything is a lot more expensive.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Some of these hunting challenges can bite me though. Stabbing cougars and looking for skunks wasn't even fun the first time. I'm also not looking forward to clearing the poker table in Blackwater again. The first time was basically luck.

Yeah, I don't even know how to play any sort of card game and I just hit buttons randomly and left the table when I had more chips than I started out with. I sincerely doubt that will ever work again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, here are my final thoughts on the game: This is my favorite video game of the year. This is my favorite video game ever.

I wouldn't say it's the best video game, or even the best Rockstar game. All that will do is create a high standard that others will pick apart leading to it being labeled us over-hyped.

What I will say that I truly connected with Marston and got goosebumps during the final battle. I had fun the entire time. It's one of the few games that only rarely felt like a grind to 100%, but was always thrilling when you finally beat the grind (Beating everyone at poker in Blackwater, disarming however many men, stabbing two cougars to death).

The characters were well painted, there were none I disliked besides the ones I was meant to. I felt a bit disconnected from the Mexico chapter, but still felt sad during the last mission. The main story arc was a thrill and the West Elizabeth chapter with Dutch's return was awesome. The themes felt well stated while not being overly hammered into the audience.

What Rockstar North truly needs to look towards is how this game weaves the missions so well into the story. There is always either a goal or motivation that goes along with a mission. GTAIV's missions often had Niko helping people he openly hates for no good reason. The Dickens and Mexico missions teeter on that, but they always come with a clear goal that gives it a logic and keeps the player interested because you know you're working towards something.

It's funny how this game unintentionally became the best hunting simulator ever created and that just ties into how much life is in the missions. I've played this game for thirty hours and just witnessed a new random encounter for the first time and I'm aware of at least a couple of others that I've never witnessed. The bounties, poker, blackjack, liar's dice, nightwatches, they never stop being fun for me. I've gone whole in-game weeks without ever touching the story missions because of how fun it all is. The truth is that something like poker is such a simple game mechanic, but it adds so much life.

The game does have its problems. It's glitchy as gently caress. A lot of the missions could have been much more epic in the number of threats and obstacles. I wouldn't have minded a few more unenterable buildings to pad out some of the towns, especially Blackwater.

Still, loving love this game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
FOR ALL YOU RETARDED TREASURE HUNTERS: (add this to the OP?)
  • Treasure maps all work in steps. They are numbered. You follow the steps 1-4. (there are never more than 4 steps)
  • They are all near some sort of landmark that is on your map, usually the name will somehow give it away. The first 5 maps overtly give you a nearby landmark's name in one way or another, the rest will always feature a very specific landmark.
  • The dotted line is the path you're supposed to walk. Dotted line goes around a rock in the first step, and then the second step shows another rock and an X? Walk around behind the rock and the treasure is behind it. This is just an example. I swear.
  • Most maps feature multiple pictures on one map, detailing each step. They don't all go together as one flowing picture, each drawing marked as a step is a separate drawing, therefore the same landmark could be in multiple drawings, just from a different perspective or with more elaborate path instructions.

If you still can't figure out the treasure hunting after all of that, sorry, you're just an idiot. I can't think of any way to spell it out clearer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does anyone have pictures or videos of the Legendary Mounts and Characters? I've seen Legend 1 and he's some sorta John Wayne cowboy but I'm curious as to what "Super Donkey" and friends look like.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Any PS3 players want to play send me an invite PSN: spidoman

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Finally I have some days off, anyone looking to play some MP over the next 2 days add GT: Slayer15977 just let me knwo your a goon

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Emron posted:

"God drat you" is not saying "drat God," it's demanding that God drat someone into hell, how can you interpret it as damning God?
Add in a comma:

God, drat you!

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, here are my final thoughts on the game: This is my favorite video game of the year. This is my favorite video game ever.

I wouldn't say it's the best video game, or even the best Rockstar game. All that will do is create a high standard that others will pick apart leading to it being labeled us over-hyped.

What I will say that I truly connected with Marston and got goosebumps during the final battle. I had fun the entire time. It's one of the few games that only rarely felt like a grind to 100%, but was always thrilling when you finally beat the grind (Beating everyone at poker in Blackwater, disarming however many men, stabbing two cougars to death).

The characters were well painted, there were none I disliked besides the ones I was meant to. I felt a bit disconnected from the Mexico chapter, but still felt sad during the last mission. The main story arc was a thrill and the West Elizabeth chapter with Dutch's return was awesome. The themes felt well stated while not being overly hammered into the audience.

What Rockstar North truly needs to look towards is how this game weaves the missions so well into the story. There is always either a goal or motivation that goes along with a mission. GTAIV's missions often had Niko helping people he openly hates for no good reason. The Dickens and Mexico missions teeter on that, but they always come with a clear goal that gives it a logic and keeps the player interested because you know you're working towards something.

It's funny how this game unintentionally became the best hunting simulator ever created and that just ties into how much life is in the missions. I've played this game for thirty hours and just witnessed a new random encounter for the first time and I'm aware of at least a couple of others that I've never witnessed. The bounties, poker, blackjack, liar's dice, nightwatches, they never stop being fun for me. I've gone whole in-game weeks without ever touching the story missions because of how fun it all is. The truth is that something like poker is such a simple game mechanic, but it adds so much life.

The game does have its problems. It's glitchy as gently caress. A lot of the missions could have been much more epic in the number of threats and obstacles. I wouldn't have minded a few more unenterable buildings to pad out some of the towns, especially Blackwater.

Still, loving love this game.
This is the only Rockstar game I've not been disappointed with. I played through GTA 3, VC and GTA IV and just ran out of steam after a while due to the gameplay bugs frustrating the poo poo out of me and the long and tedious story.

This one has it's share of bugs but the core gameplay works far better than any of the GTA games before it. The storyline gets a bit poor in areas and is never something new but it's different enough from the standard gaming cliches to make it enjoyable.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 28, 2010

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Slayer1597 posted:

I agree I spent at least a few hours trying to find the first treasure that you get a map for and well, nothing I apparently am a retard and there are no rocks set in a "square-ish formation"

It's a tree with a noose on it by rocks and it looks just like Hanging Rocks. My God are you stupid.

Spamtron, sellouts & der juicen, nice to see the NHL crew playing this now. Flute and I have been raising hell in MP. Slayer, just leave. Even people who haven't played hockey with you don't like you. Just :frogout: and save you and us all the hassle of dealing with your "epic bong rips." If you play RDR as well as you play NHL, no one will want you around. Just kill yourself. TIA

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

sellouts posted:

Creature let's play. Send me an xbox invite when you do this.

^ this.

also, let's put our differences aside and love each other over some horses, creature.

honestly though, i'm pretty surprised slayer is posting here, there're no sais or marijuana plants or anything canadian in this game. :iiam:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

doctor 7 posted:

Add in a comma:

God, drat you!

This is the only Rockstar game I've not been disappointed with. I played through GTA 3, VC and GTA IV and just ran out of steam after a while due to the gameplay bugs frustrating the poo poo out of me and the long and tedious story.

This one has it's share of bugs but the core gameplay works far better than any of the GTA games before it. The storyline gets a bit poor in areas and is never something new but it's different enough from the standard gaming cliches to make it enjoyable.

You should give Bully a shot if you really enjoyed RDR. It was sort of the first game they did that tried to create a world that was honestly a part of what you were doing instead of just some really hollow enviornment.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think the reason I stuck through this one was that the game had mission checkpoints. In GTA, if you failed, you had to repeat a good 5-7 minutes of gametime for no good reason.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

Yeah, I don't even know how to play any sort of card game and I just hit buttons randomly and left the table when I had more chips than I started out with. I sincerely doubt that will ever work again.

I actually do know how to play poker (I even attempted to play limit hold 'em online as a second source of income until I hit a very bad beat and decided to quit), I just found that trying to beat everyone at the table was frustrating and very luck-based, even if you are cheating. It just takes a while and isn't particularly fun, I just like to sit down and play a few hands in this game and then leave.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bradf0rd posted:

It's a tree with a noose on it by rocks and it looks just like Hanging Rocks. My God are you stupid.

What he means is that the last picture that shows the actual location looks like four, rather small and freestanding rocks, maybe man-height. And the map as a whole makes it look like these four rocks are some unspecified distance away from the rather large Hanging Rock. I had the same problem, and even after finding it I still think the last picture is not a good indication of the location at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GhostDog posted:

What he means is that the last picture that shows the actual location looks like four, rather small and freestanding rocks, maybe man-height. And the map as a whole makes it look like these four rocks are some unspecified distance away from the rather large Hanging Rock. I had the same problem, and even after finding it I still think the last picture is not a good indication of the location at all.

I agree with every word of that. It also doesn't help that this is the very first treasure map you have to work with. In the subsequent maps, it's very clear that the IIs and IIIs and IVs are pictures of the same landmark either zoomed in or from an alternate angle, but with the Hanging Rock map, it really does look like a view of the landscape overall, it's not clear what the map is actually showing you. I don't think it's fair to say that someone is a moron for having a hard time figuring it out

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
The random encounter generator seems to be spitting out pretty dodgy results at times.

I remember ruining into a lone cougar around Fort Mercer, but just a few seconds after I killed and skinned it, another one respawned just a few meters away, and I killed and skinned that one too and got the same result.

I ran out of medicine after the process had repeated itself about 8 times, and then I saw yet another one and decided it was time to get the hell out of there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have to say that the Read Dead wiki linked in the OP is a loving life-saver. I was going absolutely mad trying to find myself some boars to kill in the New Austin map. When I first played the game I was killed by them (in the most hilarious rag-doll manner) and never saw them since. The wiki tells you the exactly location and time when they come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I have to say that the Read Dead wiki linked in the OP is a loving life-saver. I was going absolutely mad trying to find myself some boars to kill in the New Austin map. When I first played the game I was killed by them (in the most hilarious rag-doll manner) and never saw them since. The wiki tells you the exactly location and time when they come out.

Oh wow, I never noticed the animal location part on that wiki. I also did not know that you could block cougar attacks if you have a melee weapon equipped. Thanks, wiki!

• Locked thread