Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Where/when do you get the Henry Repeater? I've beat the game and I still don't have it and don't see it for sale in the few shops I've checked. Is it only in a specific shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Sco Dylan posted:

Where/when do you get the Henry Repeater? I've beat the game and I still don't have it and don't see it for sale in the few shops I've checked. Is it only in a specific shop?

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Henry_Repeater

quote:

The weapon is obtained by completing the Nosalida Hideout.

Edit: Just pimping the wiki :)

MustangCharlie
Dec 9, 2004
My daddy won't give me moneys for drugs.. Waaaaaa
Can anyone tell me how the Social Club challenge cheats work? Do you have to clear all 3 objectives on the same run?

Also, add me for some weekend RDRing. PSN name - MustangCharlie

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Endgame stuff. You guys really were nitpicking about Jack's voice. Some dudes have highpitched voices. He does change from his younger kid tone. Also, there's no reason Jack shouldn't be able to bang whores. It would actually be sweet in context.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Jimbot posted:

I have to say that the Read Dead wiki linked in the OP is a loving life-saver. I was going absolutely mad trying to find myself some boars to kill in the New Austin map. When I first played the game I was killed by them (in the most hilarious rag-doll manner) and never saw them since. The wiki tells you the exactly location and time when they come out.

After seeing a few boars NE of the macfarlane ranch or whatever I saw a couple of boars for the first time. Killed them, then looked at my map so I could mark where boars appear for future reference, and saw a little boar marked directly on where I was standing. Is this how all animal spawns work?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Not strictly, but they're a good reference.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

YOURFRIEND posted:

After seeing a few boars NE of the macfarlane ranch or whatever I saw a couple of boars for the first time. Killed them, then looked at my map so I could mark where boars appear for future reference, and saw a little boar marked directly on where I was standing. Is this how all animal spawns work?

Pretty much, your paper map has more animals marked on it than the in game map, though.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

GhostDog posted:

What he means is that the last picture that shows the actual location looks like four, rather small and freestanding rocks, maybe man-height. And the map as a whole makes it look like these four rocks are some unspecified distance away from the rather large Hanging Rock. I had the same problem, and even after finding it I still think the last picture is not a good indication of the location at all.

thank you

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Utritum posted:

The random encounter generator seems to be spitting out pretty dodgy results at times.

I remember ruining into a lone cougar around Fort Mercer, but just a few seconds after I killed and skinned it, another one respawned just a few meters away, and I killed and skinned that one too and got the same result.

I ran out of medicine after the process had repeated itself about 8 times, and then I saw yet another one and decided it was time to get the hell out of there.

One of the things that may be influencing things like this (and the endless waves of wolves I had earlier today) is that apparently skinned corpses will attract local predators, which does make sense. On the other hand, it would also be pretty easy to get stuck in a skin corpse -> attract predators -> kill predators -> skin corpse loop.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Timeless Appeal posted:

You do need to reload since you can't do the mission after completing the story. Go to New Austin, he's in Hennigan's Stead. After you do the first mission, he'll show up on the map.

How far into the story do I need to be to find him?

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Everyone keeps saying that boars are in New Elizabeth and also north of McFarlane Ranch, but I also consistently find them east of Hangman's Rock near the cliff's base, usually in groups of 3. They don't show up quite as frequently as at the Ranch, but there's no cougars there which might make thing easier.

To whoever shared that tip earlier in the thread about "leave the immediate vicinity, come back and the animals are reloaded"- thanks! Makes things a lot easier.

Also I am awesome at killing cougars with my knife. Lasso the guy before he gets you, then while he's pissed off, run in with your knife flying. I like to yell "Ha-HAAAaaa!" while I'm slashing away. Then if the cougar tries to run away before you can finish him, lasso him again. I had no idea you could block, I'll have to figure out what button that is and add that to my repertoire.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
gently caress pubbies. I was working on the "Get a bounty on your head and then chill for 10 minutes before losing your wanted status" achievement when some random dude rolls into town and requests to be in our posse. Not wanting him to start shooting at me, I let him join. He makes some small talk, comes up to the roof where I was hiding, leaves the posse, and shoots me in the head, and then leaves the session. I was less than a minute away from the achievement. The douchebaggery of it was astounding.

Gah.

Gamertag: I M Really Lame

I'll be on tonite.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Got the 2000 chip achievement with a straight flush :smug:

Promptly lost it all :argh:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Fuzz posted:

FOR ALL YOU RETARDED TREASURE HUNTERS: (add this to the OP?)
  • Treasure maps all work in steps. They are numbered. You follow the steps 1-4. (there are never more than 4 steps)
  • They are all near some sort of landmark that is on your map, usually the name will somehow give it away. The first 5 maps overtly give you a nearby landmark's name in one way or another, the rest will always feature a very specific landmark.
  • The dotted line is the path you're supposed to walk. Dotted line goes around a rock in the first step, and then the second step shows another rock and an X? Walk around behind the rock and the treasure is behind it. This is just an example. I swear.
  • Most maps feature multiple pictures on one map, detailing each step. They don't all go together as one flowing picture, each drawing marked as a step is a separate drawing, therefore the same landmark could be in multiple drawings, just from a different perspective or with more elaborate path instructions.

If you still can't figure out the treasure hunting after all of that, sorry, you're just an idiot. I can't think of any way to spell it out clearer.

Added, thanks.

By the by, if I included something of yours in the OP, let me know and i'll give you credit for it. I completely forgot to notate who provided what when I was compiling the OP.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Why don't the nuns give my Hero rear end a rosary? Is it because I stole from a church near the beginning of the game when I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BobKnob posted:

Why don't the nuns give my Hero rear end a rosary? Is it because I stole from a church near the beginning of the game when I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing?

Yes you god drat heathen (god, drat heathen? Is that the correct way of god damning someone now?)

Serious answer though, it's just a random world event that happens sometime after you make good with the lord (and get above rank 2 positive honor)

Sargs
Aug 15, 2001

Poyekhali!
Is it me, or does grown-up Jack look more like Dutch than John? Specifically his nose looks the spitting image of Dutch's. Remember how Dutch says that everybody in the gang hosed Abigail?:tinfoil:

I love this game, even if horses are inherently more boring to ride around on than cars or motorbikes. Can't do no handbrake turns on Mr Ed.

One thing I wish is that I hadn't looked up the real-world guns because I can't help but notice the changes they've made for play balancing reasons. Some of the guns should be nightmarishly slow to reload, especially cap-and-powder weapons like the LeMat Revolver (which should also have a cool single-shot shotgun under the main barrel), but that's just me being lord of the spergs and playability > authenticity every time.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

BobKnob posted:

It's not very well marked. When I got mine last night, she just slowly wandered up and gave it to me. If I had been riding my horse or moving quickly, I would have totally missed her. She didn't show up on my map at all.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Fianlly getting into the Multiplayer: PSN FinStu

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I activate a cheat, does deactivating it still make it impossible to save/get achievements?

edit: Hit me up for multi later. GT: dkwiggin

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dickeye posted:

If I activate a cheat, does deactivating it still make it impossible to save/get achievements?

Once it's activated you have to reload to get achievements/saves back.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The reward for getting expert in Treasure Hunter is the best so far that I've come across, but I haven't gotten the expert rewards for hunter and survivalist. Are they good rewards?

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.
Haha that was awesome.

I was watchin' the old lady play some RDR on her account, and she took on her first bounty - it was dramatic as gently caress! Now, I've played the game almost inside and out, but watching her do the bounty had me on the edge of my seat just because I knew she was still getting a handle on the controls and combat. Of her own work, she managed to weed out all the henchman, and laid chase to the bounty. He got a hard head start on her while she was fighting the initial henchmen off, and the chase lasted miillless across the grassland, into the north eastern swamps. She finally got close enough to lasso him (trusty ol' Kentucky Saddler) and was about to dismount her horse to hogtie him, when a fuckin' cougar comes running up and slashes the guys horse! She freaks out (because shes seen what a bastard they are when I play) and I go "SHOOT IT AHHHH!" and she fairly effectively fumbles the weapon wheel off the lasso to the revolver and manages to kill it (within six shots :colbert:). During this, the bounty had rolled over and gotten to his feet - we realized it at the same time while she was fighting off the cougar - he's stealing the horse! She goes to shoot him, but I tell her to buck him off instead, so she holsters her pistol and whistles and sure enough he gets bucked off - but he's got a good lead! She's sprinting after him, but he manages to climb to his feet again and steal the horse again, this time unable to be bucked off.

He escapes into the setting sun to live another day.

It's a hard knock life out here, babe. Welcome to Red Dead Redemption :clint:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Spitshine posted:

It's a hard knock life out here, babe. Welcome to Red Dead Redemption :clint:

At that point it's time to steel your heart and shoot your horse.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

edit: oops I need to learn how to read.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Emron posted:

The reward for getting expert in Treasure Hunter is the best so far that I've come across, but I haven't gotten the expert rewards for hunter and survivalist. Are they good rewards?

You get the equivalent of free medicine and tobacco, respectively.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
God drat do animals in this game hate you. I was hunting for beavers once, and bears just kept coming out of loving nowhere. I heard them in time to give them a face full of shotgun bullets, but they would not stop coming. Another time I was out hunting for boars and wolves just showed up. Wave after wave after wave of wolves, often while I was busy skinning the previous wave who hadn't been so lucky. A snake even bit me while I was heading over to a corpse in the middle of this battle between man and beast.

Also you are apparently immune to having police come after you for non-murder related crimes once you max honor. I was trying to get put in jail once and nothing I did made people report me. Punching them, shoving them into the ground, hog-tying them. I even tried this with police and they just either punch you back or sass you while the others just walk off.

I love this game.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Rewatching some of the earliest videos they showed like the trailer from mid-09, and it raised some questions.

I don't remember blowing up any train bridges, but it was shown in some videos and screenshots. Am I that forgetful?

Also in that early trailer the scene where Marston comes in on the train looks a lot different if that was the one they were going to use. The elegant suit is about the most prominent outfit from the early videos as well.

It's fun to re-watch after I've finished the game though. I used to watch these drat videos all the time, and now I can look at it and know where things are and what's different.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Spoilers for I Know You.

I really don't think he's God.

John Marston - "drat YOU!"
Strange Man - "Yes, Many Have Tried."

People are pointing out that it could mean "god drat you" but that's not really damning god, more asking him to drat someone. I'm leaning towards death or the devil myself.

Oh and End-game spoilers.
Did anyone else think the game was going to start how it ended? I was excepting the first few missions to be John just doing normal ranch stuff. Or even having you play though the job that got John left for dead.

Oh and I looted a corpse as Jack, and he said "Oh lord what have I become?". That made me feel pretty lovely

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Holy Cow posted:

Oh and I looted a corpse as Jack, and he said "Oh lord what have I become?". That made me feel pretty lovely
Just like Pa taught me. :(

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

Just like Pa taught me. :(

Everything is sad as Jack. Even doing a Stranger mission where someone asked if I was the guy who killed Bill, and Jack saying he must be mistaken was sad.

Although after killing an animal he said something about John not thinking he was a good hunter, which just seems like him being a pussy.

Holy Cow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 29, 2010

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Endgame stuff

Sometimes when you skin an animal he'll say "just like you showed me, pa." Poor guy.

^^^ Oh son of a

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Well gently caress. I was riding the horse I got with Bonnie during a mission, and was running around Thieves' Landing. I hitched the horse, and the Marston glitched out like crazy bouncing around on the front of the horse. Finally got away, and then bummed around town for a bit.

Eventually I whistled for the horse, got on, and then realized that it was a different horse. Just a normal one. What the hell? I want my old horse back. :(

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mangler103 posted:

What the hell? I want my old horse back. :(
You can buy a deed from any general store for $750 that lets you summon the Kentucky Saddler (the horse from that mission) any time.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Cat Machine posted:

You can buy a deed from any general store for $750 that lets you summon the Kentucky Saddler (the horse from that mission) any time.

Excellent. Worth it. That's an hour of hunting that I would have done anyway. Thanks

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Can't get enough of this game. Sitting around waiting for bounties to spawn (I don't even know what bounties I need left), decided to go play the only card game I don't suck at - blackjack.

From the table inside, I can see out the main door to a fairly nice view. I'm not even paying attention once the cards start dealing - before I knew it, a struck of lightning burst from around my speakers. I didn't even think of the weather in-game, I instinctivly looked over my shoulder outside. Sure enough, it's raining.

It takes me another round of cards before it dawns on me. Just because it's raining doesn't mean there would be lightning. I pull my head out of my cards in game and wouldn't you know, a storm rolled in. :aaaaa:

Playing blackjack with a fair view of a heavy thunder storm outside.. The most relaxing feeling I've ever gotten from a video game. I then shot the dealer for beating my 20 when I had doubled down. gently caress head.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Two questions, how do you tackle people to the floor? And where's a good place for Bandito bounties? I don't think I've ever actually seen a bounty in Mexico.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm about to start throwing elbows. I'm trying to find the treasure at Hanging Rock and everything looks like the second clue. Everything. Where the hell is this drat thing

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sco Dylan posted:

Rewatching some of the earliest videos they showed like the trailer from mid-09, and it raised some questions.
If you look at the 2009 E3 trailer at 1:09 there is what looks like an unused and kind of bad rear end design for Dutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Whats the best way to melee cougars? Every time I've seen them is when they kill me or kill me and my horse.

Also where do the other two 3 star horses, the American and Hungarian, hang around? I want to tame them for the deeds. I know the Kentucky Saddler is around Bonnie's ranch area.

• Locked thread