Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
This is a pretty interesting read for some of you goons. It should be very insightful of MacDougal's drug use and love of Freud.

http://www.heretical.com/freudian/freud-cp.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Great Men Are Not Wise is a very very very annoying mission.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jigoku San posted:

Whats the best way to melee cougars? Every time I've seen them is when they kill me or kill me and my horse.

Also where do the other two 3 star horses, the American and Hungarian, hang around? I want to tame them for the deeds. I know the Kentucky Saddler is around Bonnie's ranch area.

Just equip the knife and start swinging as they charge you. The white horse is in Eastern Mexico, the black horse is near Blackwater.

Dickeye posted:

I'm about to start throwing elbows. I'm trying to find the treasure at Hanging Rock and everything looks like the second clue. Everything. Where the hell is this drat thing

It's in the crook of the large cluster of rocks near Hanging Rock.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Great Men Are Not Wise is a very very very annoying mission.

That was one of my favorites seeing as The Wild Bunch is one my favorite movies.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010

Jigoku San posted:

Whats the best way to melee cougars? Every time I've seen them is when they kill me or kill me and my horse.

Also where do the other two 3 star horses, the American and Hungarian, hang around? I want to tame them for the deeds. I know the Kentucky Saddler is around Bonnie's ranch area.

The American Standardbred (Black horse) is in West Elizabeth. The one I got was to the north in the Great Plains area.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How do the bounties work with 100%? Do you just need to kill/capture all the named people?

Also is there anyway to check who I've done?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

Lasso it as it charges you, once it is close. It'll go through a struggle animation which is when you switch to your knife and stab it twice.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Jigoku San posted:

I had no trouble killing them swinging wildly with the knife, but if that won't work for you just move sideways when they're running at you, they seem to have a hard time doing anything if you mess up their "line".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you're cougar hunting, have your lasso out. Wait until they get close and Dead Eye lasso them. Don't hold it (I'm not even sure if you can.) The lasso stuns them. Switch to your knife and chase the bastard down. Cougars do not attack you if you charge them.

The lasso stun works on bears too but they're not afraid of you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
some bandits killed my kentucky horse and i am so angry at them, I'd killed them and the game autosaved and now I have a crappy horse again :mad:

Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

some bandits killed my kentucky horse and i am so angry at them, I'd killed them and the game autosaved and now I have a crappy horse again :mad:

If you have the deed to the horse, you just click on the deed and it summons a new horse. I've gone through like 20 kentucky saddlers now, knowing that my deed is a cloning machine.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh my loving god gently caress MacDougal until he vomits his lungs

Nastas :smith:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's nice that all the Challenges aren't complete bullshit. I have everything completely done but Survivalist and I just have to do the level 9 and 10 for that. My favorite part of treasure hunting was the "oh poo poo" feeling of recognizing the area from the treasure map.

The Sharpshooter level 9 was super easy for me because I had just completed the Fort Mercer gang hideout and so there were a bunch of vultures flying around overhead.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I tamed a wild horse (looked like a Roan, but colored grey-black) that was eventually killed by a cougar. After some time, I whistled, and a horse I've never seen trotted up to me as my own.

It was yellow/gold like Bonnie's reward horse, but the mane and tail were colored white with black tips, and were both very long. I'm unsure if it matters, but my guy is full Honor and about halfway to full Fame.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The master hunter ones were a real pain in the rear end because they're the only ones where you have no control over finding the animals other than hearing a call and hoping you turn and find one. I went through 10 or 12 things of bait trying to lure out a cougar. Bait loving sucks, 9 times out of 10 it does almost nothing whatsoever unless I'm doing it wrong, the other time a cougar will instantly kill me as I'm backing away from it

go for the bait you retard

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
/\/\/\/\ The melee the wolf ones were hard for me because the wolves would RUN AWAY FROM ME.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The wolf one is really easy at Silent Stead. A pack of 6 or 7 spawns when you get close and comes after you.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah but at least wolves are easy to find. Now I'm on the skunks/racoons/foxes one and it's a bitch because racoons/skunks aren't animals that I run into during the course of normally playing the game since they run alone and don't really make noise

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I find it easier to hunt at night. If you get on to a little hill, stop moving, it's real easy to pick out little dark silhouettes moving.
You can see raccoons, skunks, and the like with pretty good visibility even over long distances on a clear night I've found.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

roffle posted:

yeah but at least wolves are easy to find. Now I'm on the skunks/racoons/foxes one and it's a bitch because racoons/skunks aren't animals that I run into during the course of normally playing the game since they run alone and don't really make noise

Skunks aren't too bad because they have a distinctive look. Raccoons are hard to find because they blend in so well. Other than times where I couldn't get to where the animals were because I wasn't far enough into the story I think that set was probably the hardest. Everything else went kind of easy for hunting. Especially the last couple of "legendary" animals.

Also I got a really easy break on the "No Dice" achievement as I was doing the movie Stranger mission where you have to play a game of Liar's Dice against a dude who's really bad at it. Helped that there were only me and him playing. He also kept calling me as bluffing even though I was just building on his bets.

ohrus
Aug 6, 2008

There is a war between the ones who say "there is a war" and the ones who say "there isn't."

Dickeye posted:

I'm about to start throwing elbows. I'm trying to find the treasure at Hanging Rock and everything looks like the second clue. Everything. Where the hell is this drat thing

Think "big." That should be enough of a hint. I spent quite some time on that one.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

roffle posted:

Skunks and racooons are northwest and northeast of the hanging rock, respectively.

In that open plain north of Armadillo there's a solitary dead tree if you go straight north from the town. It's almost near the northern border of the map. Go about 100 yards south of that tree and there's skunks aplenty.

North of hanging rock there's a bunch of roads that meet. Just where they meet there's a hill full of brush just to the east. Raccoons spawn like crazy there but they're hard to see because of all the brush and because they spawn the most at night. I was dreading that part of the hunter quest until I stumbled upon that area and it only took me about 10 minutes to get the 5 skunks and raccoons once I knew where they spawned.

Baby Cakes fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 29, 2010

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Skunks also spawn a ton around Alta Cabeza in Mexico.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I was doing a stranger mission that involved a duel right after you start talking to them. The thing was, right before I got close enough to initiate talking (which wasn't prompted by a button, you just have to get close enough), I whipped out my sawed-off shotgun. That didn't change the cutscene of Marston and the stranger, but when the duel passby's started, they showed the enemy with his hand near his holster, and me with my sawed-off in my hand. Even when the camera went to my hand to let me duel, Marston kept his hand on his sawed off, raised, ready to shoot. I thought 'what the hell', and when it told me to draw, I put two crosshairs on my enemy, and Marston automatically shot both rounds of his sawed-off and reloaded. To which I thought: "loving AWESOME! I JUST WON A DUEL WITH A SAWED-OFF :woop:"

Then the game glitched out to the point where half of the buttons didn't work and I had to reload :v:

quietmonkey
Nov 23, 2002

err posted:

How do the bounties work with 100%? Do you just need to kill/capture all the named people?

Also is there anyway to check who I've done?
It's based on the "last known location" that the bounty sends you to. The game seems to feed them to you in order, or at least doesn't seem to send you to a location you've been before until you've done them all, and you can see which places you've captured (or killed) someone at if you use the social site 100% checklist.

If you keep checking bounty posters in any of the three territories (it doesn't matter where you grab the bounty poster from aside from that - 7 in New Austin, 9 in Mexico, 4 in West Elizabeth) and see that the last known location isn't one you've been to yet then it should be pretty easy to keep track of.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

roffle posted:

The master hunter ones were a real pain in the rear end because they're the only ones where you have no control over finding the animals other than hearing a call and hoping you turn and find one. I went through 10 or 12 things of bait trying to lure out a cougar. Bait loving sucks, 9 times out of 10 it does almost nothing whatsoever unless I'm doing it wrong, the other time a cougar will instantly kill me as I'm backing away from it

go for the bait you retard

I had a cougar attack me the second I was out of the menu for the bait. I opened the inventory, selected the bait, the menu went away so he could place the bait, but before he could the cougar attacked. The bait was indeed placed, but the animation was skipped.

It was funny as hell because I was looking for cougars at the time and then that happened. Doing the master hunter mission in free roam for the jaguar in Tall Trees was loving hell though. Everyone else left me, probably cause my mic died and they didn't know what I was doing, so I kept getting ganked by cougars. I swear they were spawn camping me for a bit there.

Oh, I got 100% in the game a few days ago. I believe it said I had played for 57 hours and had 93 in-game days pass.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Jigoku San posted:

You find the Hungarian in Mexico. I actually saw two of them around Torguemada (sp?) when I didn't even need to find them. You should be able to find them all around Mexico though.

Someone else already posted the Standardbred location. I'll probably put that info in the OP if I see many more requests for their location.

Also, holy poo poo is this a popular thread. I can basically go take a poo poo and come back and there will be 30+ new posts.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Hungarian Half-breeds like to chill out in the white sand part of Mexico if that helps

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006

Holy Cow posted:

Two questions, how do you tackle people to the floor? And where's a good place for Bandito bounties? I don't think I've ever actually seen a bounty in Mexico.

Just reposting this because it kinda got lost with the new page.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Holy Cow posted:

Just reposting this because it kinda got lost with the new page.

When you fist fight with people, a prompt to tackle them may come up. It shows up in the bottom right part of the screen. You usually have to punch them several times for it to show up, and the move lets you wail on them some more.

As for bounties in Mexico, I had some show up in the town where you meet Ricketts.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Just had an awesome moment after completing the Stranger mission Poppycock:
Once the British dude quit talking about how the opiate trade is a necessary evil, I put on my bandanna and shot him in the back of the head, right in front of a lawman. He still had the $1000 on him too!
After all that I just walked over to the poker table and bought in, and no one said a word.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I hadn't experienced any weird glitches in this game until just now where I was inexplicably launched 500 feet in the air during a mission that required running through a gully between two large cliff faces. John screamed on the way up then fell to his death, mission failed. Nothing was shooting at me at the time.

The side missions are pretty frustrating sometimes. I seem to end up accidentally killing the bounty/my horse/the person I'm returning to before I get the reward (RB to stop is very unnatural). During my last bounty I spent too long trying to get my horse close enough and by the time I was loaded up the second wave was on my rear end. They shot my horse with the bounty off a nearby cliff to their deaths. I still got the dead bounty ($20 woohoo) but it was a long walk back to civilization.

Also had a difficult $300 live bounty almost complete when I somehow shot a lawman and had the cops chasing me along with assloads of outlaws. That was a bummer since I had wasted all my money buying property before figuring out campfires.

I wish it was easier to tell who lawmen were during chaos.

All in all I'm really enjoying the game but it's still got a bit of the old GTA4 "why am I doing this, I'm bored" grind. Assassin's Creed 2 and Just Cause 2 are still superior open world games when it comes to fun.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
There's something I'm curious about. On two occasions, I had to do a duel. One was a story mission (Where the German guy suspects you of cheating at poker and challenges you) and the other was a stranger mission (Where Clara wants you to get money for her and the baby from the guy she used to work for). Both of those times I could not for the life of me knock the guns out of their hands instead of killing them. I've been able to do that easily from the random duels that happen when you're wandering around but every time I tried to do it on these missions it wouldn't work and I'd get killed. Is it not possible to disarm them or did I just somehow mess it up all those times?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

There's something I'm curious about. On two occasions, I had to do a duel. One was a story mission (Where the German guy suspects you of cheating at poker and challenges you) and the other was a stranger mission (Where Clara wants you to get money for her and the baby from the guy she used to work for). Both of those times I could not for the life of me knock the guns out of their hands instead of killing them. I've been able to do that easily from the random duels that happen when you're wandering around but every time I tried to do it on these missions it wouldn't work and I'd get killed. Is it not possible to disarm them or did I just somehow mess it up all those times?

People have posted that scripted duels are unable to be won by disarming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of the German dude, did anyone else get a weird John Malkovich vibe off of him? Just the way he talked made it seem less like a German accent and more like a John Malkovich impression.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mexican bounties can show up in Chuparosa, Escalera and El Presidio. Some of them take quite a bit to be posted.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

When you fist fight with people, a prompt to tackle them may come up. It shows up in the bottom right part of the screen. You usually have to punch them several times for it to show up, and the move lets you wail on them some more.

If I can be even more specific to help with this, the prompt for the ground tackle will appear after you successfully chain three punches. Score three hits without whiffing and punching the air and you'll get the press Y/Triangle for Ground Tackle prompt and you'll be able to tackle them. Then just hammer the punch button to enjoy the sight of Marston honorably beating the gently caress out of a man while he's down.

It's one of my new favorite "I'm John Wayne!" habits.

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Mexican bounties can show up in Chuparosa, Escalera and El Presidio. Some of them take quite a bit to be posted.

Thanks for this, and to the other goons. I still find it weird that I've got plenty of bounties everywhere else, but never in Mexico.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

I've noticed that if you can save at the town where the bounty is posted, if you go and save, then head outside and hang around for a couple minutes near the place where the posters get tacked up one usually appears.

Not sure if that's a foolproof way to force a bounty to be posted, but I did also notice they seem to appear shortly after loading a savegame from that town too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just need to hang around the town. It never takes more than 5 minutes, but in game that seems forever.

• Locked thread