Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I miss the sunroof from my Focus but I'm having so much fun with my MS3 that I wouldn't call it a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Went in to look at a used 09 MS3. I liked it, but the exhaust was louder than I had anticipated and the turbo was WAY louder than I would have expected. Turns out, Cobb SF intake and some aftermarket exhaust were on the car. It only had 10k miles on it and was originally a Florida car, brought up to MD after being bought at auction.

The odd history of the car combined with it having aftermarket parts kind of scared me away a bit. Sensing they were losing a sale, the offered me a new MS3 at invoice. Credit ran, numbers worked, etc.. I still decided not to do it. Thinking about it more...

Buying a 2010 MS3 on Monday. Velocity Red. I'll miss the sunroof and HIDs, but at least I can still get HIDs in there if I want to drop some coin.

Crap. I'm going to have to get my license plates swapped from MD Bay Tags to agricultural. Blue doesn't look so great on the red.

Anything I should know? Anything that I'm not going to find out just by test driving it? I expect some torque steer, but i'm coming a similarly powered FWD car, so I'm used to it. Is the torque limit in 1st and 2nd annoying? Is there any way to defeat it? I ran into it a bit today test driving it. I put the hammer down in first and it felt like it ignored my foot beyond half way. Really bizarre feeling but I imagine I'll get used to it.

Thanks, goons.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I know the torque limit is there in first and second...and yet I can't say I have any problem with it, or have really even noticed it. The gears are so short that if you did have full power, you'd just be smoking the tires clean off the wheels.

I think the 2010s are a bit less torque-steer-into-a-tree prone than the '07-'09s are.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think the 2010s are a bit less torque-steer-into-a-tree prone than the '07-'09s are.

The ride quality in general was a lot better in the 2010. At lot smoother and compliant on the highway. The 09 wanted to follow every crack. The 2010 kept it's line with next to no correction. I've gotten used to VWs which are just brilliant on the highway. I take a lot of long trips, so highway manners are important.

It's a big step for me to move away from VW. I've had an 01 Jetta, 05 GTI 1.8T, 07 GTI, and now an 06 Passat 3.6. I've been changing cars every two years for a really long time. I really want to keep this one for at least 5-6 years. The Mazda is going to be more reliable, have a better resale and will probably be less expensive to repair when the warranty is out. It's also a WAY better value than the new GTI. Sure I can't get HIDs, a sunroof, and a touchscreen stereo, but in terms of value for performance, you just can't beat the MS3. If I bought a GTI I'd have absolutely chipped it and put a better suspension on. I really don't feel like I'm going to have to touch the MS3.

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 18, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's pretty much how I feel about mine. It came with the Mazdaspeed CAI and the only changes I can see myself making would be maybe working on the shifter a bit, and some form of oil catch system for the PCV once I hit 60k miles.

For the record - I just hit one year in the MS3 last week, and I've put almost 26k miles on it. A lot of that is my 25-mile one-way commute, but it helps that I still really enjoy the car.

The tramlining is largely affected by alignment and tires, by the way. The 225/40R18 Hankook RS2s I have on mine want to hunt around a bit worse than the factory 215/45R18 BFG RE050As did, but at least for me it's not bad enough to worry about on all but the worst roads.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

SynMoo posted:

I just enjoy having the sun and the wind etc when i'm carving through the twisties. I'm obviously incredibly picky.

Holy crap, yes you are.

There is no sunroof option on the Speed. Instead there is more significant bracing throughout the roof area, and the entire rest of the car. Cut a hole for a sunroof and you'll be losing some of that.

Do yourself a favor - get the factory HIDs. They are quite amazing and nothing in the aftermarket is going to be able to come close (or be legal). I hate driving other cars at night now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think my MS3 hates being a Mazda. The intercooler badge broke a while ago, which I can live with since it's underhood and the only time I see it is when I'm changing the oil.

But now the goddamn Mazdaspeed logo on the hatch is peeling up :psyduck: I'm debating either getting some new 3M adhesive from Vatozone, or buying a new badge from Mazda (does it come with adhesive?) and making the old one into a desk ornament of some sort.

Also, if #forzagoons on synirc is to be believed, SynMoo's one of us now.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Bit the bullet. Love the car.

I had HIDs on my GTI. Miss them dearly. Factory HIDs weren't an option unfortunately. I'll have to do a factory retrofit at some point. Really silly omission. Already getting over the sunroof.

Best car I've ever owned so far. Loving every minute of it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SynMoo posted:

Bit the bullet. Love the car.

I had HIDs on my GTI. Miss them dearly. Factory HIDs weren't an option unfortunately. I'll have to do a factory retrofit at some point. Really silly omission. Already getting over the sunroof.

Best car I've ever owned so far. Loving every minute of it.

Yeah that's a dick move by Mazda to not have a GT trim for this gen.

Should consider giving this a shot:
http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f431/ddm-6k-hid-lows-installed-2010-speed-39667/

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think my MS3 hates being a Mazda. The intercooler badge broke a while ago, which I can live with since it's underhood and the only time I see it is when I'm changing the oil.

But now the goddamn Mazdaspeed logo on the hatch is peeling up :psyduck: I'm debating either getting some new 3M adhesive from Vatozone, or buying a new badge from Mazda (does it come with adhesive?) and making the old one into a desk ornament of some sort.

Also, if #forzagoons on synirc is to be believed, SynMoo's one of us now.

That's odd. Was it used? Maybe a PO debadged it and then rebadged it before selling it to you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx: Yep, used. That's certainly a possibility. I suppose the other option would be to take off the 3 and Mazda badges too, but I kinda like them.

Wait, the 2010 doesn't have the HIDs the '07-'09s did? What the hell, Mazda?

The HIDs are, admittedly, one of my favorite things on the car. Hell, my mom rode with me once and decided whatever she buys next, is getting them.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Wait, the 2010 doesn't have the HIDs the '07-'09s did? What the hell, Mazda?

Correct. No GT trim for the 2010 MS3, yet the '10 MZ3's have a choice between SV/Sport/Touring (the one with HID) :psyduck:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is easily up there with the '04-'05 Mazdaspeed Miata not even having the option for cruise control.

Open letter to Mazda: People like your cars, but sometimes they want to give you more money for more options! You should let them do this! It is a good thing!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Funny enough, when I was buying my car (2008 GT) a couple years ago, the lady talking to me about the car's options straight up had me avoid Mazda's iPod integration accessory. She suggested me to go get an aftermarket one since she didn't want to waste my time knowing I'd be coming back to return it. And as luck would have it, the iPod integration kit from Audiolink I was using in my '03 Protege worked just fine in this car :)

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I'm really pleased to see that the cut off stays reasonable with the drop in kit. I'll be doing this for sure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

Funny enough, when I was buying my car (2008 GT) a couple years ago, the lady talking to me about the car's options straight up had me avoid Mazda's iPod integration accessory. She suggested me to go get an aftermarket one since she didn't want to waste my time knowing I'd be coming back to return it. And as luck would have it, the iPod integration kit from Audiolink I was using in my '03 Protege worked just fine in this car :)

How do you like it / how hard was it to set up? The more I think about it, while I like the aux-in jack, I would love it if I could manage an iPod from the steering wheel controls.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

How do you like it / how hard was it to set up? The more I think about it, while I like the aux-in jack, I would love it if I could manage an iPod from the steering wheel controls.

Love it. If you know how to turn a screwdriver, you're all set. It's literally plug and play.

This is the integration kit I have. There may be cheaper alternatives now though, so do a little research first. I think there's a sticky on ipod integration options on 24/7.
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=142&osCsid=5mcei1lg7t5lbgtb3e3pgb9jf2

Here's a pictorial guide for a different kit but the process is still relevant.
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=df1c050ee3445d28b5fa90ee4feb94c0&topic=101973.msg2058658#msg2058658

Steps 3 to 6 are instructions for removing the head unit. Follow the rest if you'd like to run it into your cupholder which has a nice opening for the cable (also seen here), but I preferred to have it in the glove box.

Glove box removal involves removing two screws and a firm pull, see step 2 of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKhVXslh6Is

It'll all make sense once everything's been removed, you'll see a way to wire it into the glove box.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Hooray impulse purchase! Dropped by for an oil change and they showed me this purty thing.

Click here for the full 480x720 image.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone know how often the CAI filter needs to be cleaned?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bovine Delight posted:

Anyone know how often the CAI filter needs to be cleaned?

Eyeball it and see. Typically I'd say roughly every 20k miles.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009
Does anyone have any tire recommendations for the Protege5? I paged through this thread where I thought it had been mentioned, and all I saw were discussions about the 3.
Maybe I missed it. That happens sometimes.

Anyway, I've still got my stock 16" wheels, so I don't need any strange size. Well, stranger than the stock tire size at any rate.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

That depends entirely on your style, but for all around I'd say the Kumho Ecsta ASX is a very good tire. Had them on my wife's Protege.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

SynMoo posted:

That depends entirely on your style, but for all around I'd say the Kumho Ecsta ASX is a very good tire. Had them on my wife's Protege.

My style...
Well, I tend to corner a lot faster than most people around here, though the roads are mostly 25MPH residential areas. I like grippy rubber and don't really care about road noise because my radio plays loud enough to drown out the world. I'm living in New Jersey now which was fun this winter because my worn out summer tread (which was fine in Virginia) just wasn't up to the task on snow and ice.
The tires I'm buying now are going to be for summer use, so they don't need to be all weather. I just want something that will let me have fun on the drive to school because I don't really get to drive much anymore, so I want it to be a treat.

edit: I can't really figure out where my brain decided that tires people recommended for the MS3 wouldn't work for my Protege5. It's not like they only come in one size.

the amber trap fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 23, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

Eyeball it and see. Typically I'd say roughly every 20k miles.

Yeah, I think the recommended interval is 20k. I did mine at 30k because I had no records of it being cleaned before, and I'm going to do it roughly every 20k from here on out, basically whenever an oil change lines up close to it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

My Cobb knob isn't flush against the boot like this guy's. Not gonna be happy if I find out I need a short shifter :argh:

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
I've got a question regarding the MZR engine (non-turbo, sorry).

I'm looking to purchase a used Mazda3 in the near future and I'm just trying to get acquainted with the 2.0L and 2.3L engines available. Is what I've been reading correct, that they're both the same MZR engine but the 2.3 just has a longer stroke?

I apologize for the lack of turbo in this post.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Just curious, is anyone here running Hypertech?

Lately we've had some intense discussion locally on the different tuning methods (AP/Standback/Hypertech), real interesting stuff.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doesn't really have to do with MZRs, but can anyone recommend a good EMS setup for a Mazdaspeed Protege? I've bitten the bullet and gotten some higher-lift cams (to be joined later by an FMIC, aluminum intake piping and an exhaust) and I figure I may as well get fuel management sorted out now before I start putting things in.

Or I could go the comedy route and shoehorn in an MS6 drivetrain with a 13B-powered supercharger.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Has anyone sold/traded in a newer MS3? I'm thinking about getting a 370Z and was offered 15k for trade in value. 2009 GT w/ 14000 miles.

It seems low, KBB and NADA agree.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

FortifiedTumor posted:

Has anyone sold/traded in a newer MS3? I'm thinking about getting a 370Z and was offered 15k for trade in value. 2009 GT w/ 14000 miles.

I was offered 17.5k and ended up getting closer to 19k in trade on my 08.5 GT with 14k miles at the end of September '09. You might be able to do a little better but not by a lot, obviously depends on the circumstances.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FortifiedTumor posted:

You're definitely low, if nothing else you could easily sell it for $18-20k private party; I paid $18k for my '07 GT with 24000 miles last year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Had a fun problem with my fuel gauge.

Filled up the night before, then when I was driving the next day I looked down and my gas gauge was at 1/2. I pulled over and checked to see if someone had pried open the tank door to siphon gas or I was leaking gas. No leaks, fuel door was fine. Went to the gas station and was only able to put in just over a gallon. It rose up to 3/4 and stayed there. I went somewhere else and while driving, it completely dropped to below E.

Took it to the dealership and its the fuel sending unit. Although it's covered under warranty, the dealership won't give me a loaner car unless it's 4 hours of labor or more. I think they said to drop the tank and everything was around 2.3. :mad:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My MS6's passenger front door lock decided to stop working yesterday. Well, it still works, but only when manually flipped. I am irrationally annoyed by this.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

CombatWombat posted:

My MS6's passenger front door lock decided to stop working yesterday. Well, it still works, but only when manually flipped. I am irrationally annoyed by this.

I'm still adjusting to losing my keys with the keyless entry fob for my car. I'm pretty annoyed that I actually have to use a key to get into my car now.

ronaldrape
Mar 3, 2006

Just picked one up!

It's an '07 Sport certified used. It already has a Mazdaspeed intake on it, and I just put Eibach Pro-kit springs on this past weekend. No turbo smoke yet. Plans are for a Cobb AP, rear motor mount, downpipe, and a forge bypass valve over the next few weeks. :)

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Forgot to post one of mine... I've had it for 6 weeks now I believe. Going to cross 2k miles today.

Full Flickr set.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I was watching Round 4 of the Continental Tire Challenge, and the commentators were saying the Freedom Autsport team running the new MS3 were having ECU tuning problems, "on the phone with Japan and still cannot unlock the code to that machine."

How did tuning come out for the previous generation? Do the efforts there help with the new model?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I was watching Round 4 of the Continental Tire Challenge, and the commentators were saying the Freedom Autsport team running the new MS3 were having ECU tuning problems, "on the phone with Japan and still cannot unlock the code to that machine."

How did tuning come out for the previous generation? Do the efforts there help with the new model?

That's because the second gen has a completely different ECU. Neither the AP nor Hypertech work on it.

ECU mods are great early on, and I'd say the AP and a pro tune are essential when you cross the downpipe bridge and you start thinking about other serious mods like big turbo or forged internals.

edit: and on that note..
ronaldrape, sounds like you have some great stuff planned down the line. But I'd advise you to upgrade your fuel pump and turbo inlet, maybe even TMIC/FMIC or a full set of mounts before you even think about a downpipe. Just trying to help you do this safely as it's a major mod that should be made after lots of research. The rear motor mount should be your next purchase, followed by supporting mods for the dp.

air- fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 29, 2010

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Taking my car (gen2 MS3) to the strip for the first time on Wednesday.

Any pointers on launch RPM and shift points?

3000 launch and 5700-6000 shifts seem to be about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

edit: and on that note..
ronaldrape, sounds like you have some great stuff planned down the line. But I'd advise you to upgrade your fuel pump and turbo inlet, maybe even TMIC/FMIC or a full set of mounts before you even think about a downpipe. Just trying to help you do this safely as it's a major mod that should be made after lots of research. The rear motor mount should be your next purchase, followed by supporting mods for the dp.

Since you seem rather knowledgeable (and unlike most of the Mazda forum posters, literate) - my '07 has just the Mazdaspeed CAI on it (I went ahead and spent a couple bucks on the AEM straightener to go in it). Since I'm nearing the 60k mark (will probably cross that in about 2-3 months) I have fewer reservations with modifying the car.

Right now I'm thinking of throwing in a catch can in the PCV to help get the oil vapors out of the intake stream (seeing as DI engines can't clean the intake valves). Any opinions on which methods work the best to do this?

Also, as someone who is admittedly rather satisfied with the MS3's power level but at the same time wouldn't mind a little more if it's cheap and safe to the engine...are there any cat-backs that actually add any power without going crazy loud, or is it not worth the time and expense? I'm not looking to ever go to a bigger turbo or anything on that scale.

Finally...I'm starting to get annoyed with the condition of my car's engine/transmission mounts (I don't think they've failed but they definitely aren't all that firm). Any recommendations on what the best bang-for-the-buck ones are out there? Maybe sticking on the soft side, I do drive the drat thing 50 miles a day.