Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I actually read on that 100% guide that the bounties are posted between 7:00-7:30 AM everyday. Based on my personal observations, that seems true. The first day I tried, it was 6:40ish AM and I waited until 7:00. At exactly 7:01, sure enough, a cop emerged from the building the buildings are posted at (in Escalera) and posted a bounty. From then on I could never get the timing right, but if I saved (which advances the game clock by 6 hours) enough to make it daytime, the next time I walked out of my rented room and headed to the bounty office, a cop would be walking to towards the bounty board and post a bounty.

So 7:00-7:30AM everyday seems to be correct, and if you arrive later in the day, a bounty will still get posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Thank gently caress there's a new thread, because I was never going to make it through 2000+ posts to check and see if anybody had asked this before.

What's the deal with the animal abuse stat in free roam? I've done pretty much everything I can think of, and it's still at 0. I've spent a minute or two kicking a skunk, I've thrown fire bottles at cattle, I just can't figure this one out.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

liquidypoo posted:

Thank gently caress there's a new thread, because I was never going to make it through 2000+ posts to check and see if anybody had asked this before.

What's the deal with the animal abuse stat in free roam? I've done pretty much everything I can think of, and it's still at 0. I've spent a minute or two kicking a skunk, I've thrown fire bottles at cattle, I just can't figure this one out.

Attack a domesticated animal like a horse or a cow within a settlement and you'll probably get it. I got hit with two charges after I accidentally shot a couple hitched horses in the rear end while fighting the bandits that ride through Armadillo. I think it's more slante towards horses than anything though.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Instead of playing for a few hours tonight after work, I'm just going to watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.
This game has gotten under my skin to say the very least.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bitey posted:

Fun fact: In Mark Twain's story "The Mysterious Stranger," the mysterious stranger is god.

Well, Satan, but close enough.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm surprised that they actually had Reyes become President, not surprised that John really, really should have just killed him.

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
Welp, 20 hours in, and I'm starting over. I want that stupid deadly assassin outfit, and this Mo van Barr bug is retarded.

I've killed him now, but I have this feeling this may kill the game for me.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Yo, gently caress cougars.

I'd often be able to kill them after hearing their roar by looking around. Once in a while I'd get a silenced pounce but I'd get up, dust my self off, and fill the fucker with lead. Now, I get double-pounce cougars.

Cougars will silently pounce me then pounce me again as I'm falling over from the first pounce. It is some annoying poo poo.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Welp did the "bring a bounty back alive" in Chuparosa or whatever for the Bandito outfit and it didn't show up as marked off. That's the first I've seen of any sort of glitches so far, other than the buttons becoming unresponsive after a while when I was wearing the poncho. I'd imagine it'll just show up as done next time I do one

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

loving cougar killed my horse!

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I'm casually tooling around after beating the game, inching ever closer to 100%, and I just unlocked the Bandito outfit. I laughed so hard after finding out that apparently the only thing that identifies someone as a gang member in Mexico is a sombrero. I wonder how often regular people are accused of being gang members due to poor choices of headgear?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Holy poo poo getting a $5,000 bounty to clear with a pardon letter is hard work when you're max fame. I'm finally almost at four grand, but sheesh it's taken a while. Next I just have to get 500 mounted gun kills and use the same horse for twenty missions (suppose I have to do a new game for that one) and I'll have all the single player achievements.

I'm not looking forward to the multiplayer achievements though. Three top scores in FFA in a row? What the hell. Four consecutive games as the winning team in a team based mode? What the gently caress. If I get some friends, the second one isn't going to be that hard, but how am I supposed to be the number one player three times in a row in a free for all game? That's just silly.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Grr, how the gently caress do you disarm someone for the sharpshooter challenge? I can't ever get it to register even on rank 8. Rank 10 will be a nightmare if I can ever get past this one.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Universe Master posted:

Grr, how the gently caress do you disarm someone for the sharpshooter challenge? I can't ever get it to register even on rank 8. Rank 10 will be a nightmare if I can ever get past this one.

Shoot them in the arm.

Also if rank 8 is the "disarm someone then shoot their hat off" I got it while using the train-mounted machine gun in Mexico and just spraying guys with bullets. Was pretty funny when it popped up when I wasn't even trying.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Lugubrious posted:

Shoot them in the arm.

No poo poo. I do that, they drop their gun, shake their hand, and then...nothing.

Doesn't register.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Edge Zero posted:

I'm not looking forward to the multiplayer achievements though. Three top scores in FFA in a row? What the hell. Four consecutive games as the winning team in a team based mode? What the gently caress. If I get some friends, the second one isn't going to be that hard, but how am I supposed to be the number one player three times in a row in a free for all game? That's just silly.

It's not so hard as long as you're decent. Just always prioritize getting an upgraded revolver/rifle in each map, try to remember where the lemat/double action/high power pistol is and keep moving back there after each death, you'll obliterate anyone who doesn't have one if you get it.

Try not to run (you appear on the radar while running or shooting), constantly look at your radar to check if you're being flanked, and use the radar to try and jump in on firefights to mop up both sides.

Learn to switch weapons quickly, and switch to the shotgun quickly if you notice someone on the radar about to pop out close to you.

Also, try not to use the cover button unless you know you're not going to get flanked (but do find cover in a firefight), it's a good way to get shot in the head.

Edit: Also, for the starting shootout, manually aim high and mash the right trigger rather than waiting for the shootout to start, 75% of the time you'll get a kill.

edit2: While it's alright to rely on autoaim, know that if your opponent is shooting you from a standstill you can manually move the crosshair from the autoaim's default target (abdomen) to the head and beat an opponent with an instant headshot.

blippyblop fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 29, 2010

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Universe Master posted:

No poo poo. I do that, they drop their gun, shake their hand, and then...nothing.

Doesn't register.

1) try actually aiming for the gun using deadeye/a sniper rifle
2) maybe you've done the two disarms and need the two hats

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Fracturus Cactusmas posted:

If you have the deed to the horse, you just click on the deed and it summons a new horse. I've gone through like 20 kentucky saddlers now, knowing that my deed is a cloning machine.

I've gone through a dozen of my Hungarian Half-Breeds because of bears alone. The other useful thing about them is that if you carry two deeds, you can use them to save without A) having to open camp and B) move six hours in time.

Also, roffle has it right: you gotta hit the gun, not the hand/arm. If you go to a challenge, and hit y, it will show you what you've done/what you need.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Yeah, I've got the hats. Oh well, I'll try this later.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Wow, Bad Horse is really lovely at racing. I shot him in the head and whistled for a random horse and took first.

gently caress Bad Horse. :colbert:

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
If someone can tell me WHY I can't put a hogtied bounty on my horse, I'd appreciate it. The option to put the person on the horse doesn't even show. What the gently caress.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

hog wizard posted:

If someone can tell me WHY I can't put a hogtied bounty on my horse, I'd appreciate it. The option to put the person on the horse doesn't even show. What the gently caress.

The answer to your question (and, coincidentally, probably the answer to the other guy's "why don't my disarms count" question) is: Red Dead Redemption is a buggy, buggy, buggy game. Things only work when they feel like it.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally found a loving bear to knife, soften him up with the bolt action, get some distance and get off my horse without getting attacked, turn around and now there are three bears.

at least I saved.

edit: second time, found one alone, shot him in the head once, chased him down, knifed him twice

...got knocked down by a boar and then the bear turned and killed me.

edit 2: third time, same as first. god i hate this loving challenge

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 29, 2010

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet

Lugubrious posted:

The answer to your question (and, coincidentally, probably the answer to the other guy's "why don't my disarms count" question) is: Red Dead Redemption is a buggy, buggy, buggy game. Things only work when they feel like it.

heh, I figured this was the answer. I just carried a bounty literally across the loving map. It took me an hour and I used up all my bullets.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

hog wizard posted:

heh, I figured this was the answer. I just carried a bounty literally across the loving map. It took me an hour and I used up all my bullets.

I remember the first time I tried to bring a bounty back alive, my horse got killed, and all of the bandit's horses would run right the gently caress off after I shot their owners. I got tired of carrying the sack of poo poo about halfway, through, threw him to the ground, and put a bullet in his head.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

What I will say that I truly connected with Marston and got goosebumps during the final battle. I had fun the entire time.

This really is the best part. I'm not a heavy gamer anymore - I basically bought this game on a whim and it turned into one of the best I've ever played.

Even though playing through the main game is basically "GTA western" it feels really well done and made a bit more of a lasting impact on me than I ever expected.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Whatup, I just finished off Brumas with my knife.

Also pressing < or > on the d-pad switches which shoulder you're looking over.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Oh for gently caress sakes, I wish that at least a few of the Stranger jobs would have happy endings.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Rei_ posted:

Oh for gently caress sakes, I wish that at least a few of the Stranger jobs would have happy endings.

If you're looking for happy endings, you might be playing the wrong game.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The epic hunts are a bit more interesting in Free Roam than in single player. Having to fight a pack of wolves and then fight an ultra-wolf is much more intense than just going dead-eye and unloading five shots of semi-auto shotgun death into the face of a jaguar.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

thetrin posted:

If you're looking for happy endings, you might be playing the wrong game.

Not really, I just wish occasionally I could have a positive impact on the things I put effort into.

Like 'Love is the Opiate' what the gently caress? He asks for the horse, I go out and get one in about 5 minutes (and the achievement, woop woop) come back all heroic and poo poo and feel really good about myself.. Find the dude in Chuparosa a day later stoned out of his tree with no intention of going to see his beloved.

Also with 'The Wronged Woman' Would the outcome have been different had I disarmed the husband? Can I?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Hey, I ended the mission where you gather flowers for Billy as happily as possible. After the mission officially ended, and I was outside of his little house, I put on my bandana, snuck in, and knifed him to death. Now he's finally at peace with his wife.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I feel bad when people are chasing me on horses, and I try to shoot them but hit their horse by accident. Is that normal?

Also do I need a "fast running speed" horse to beat that story mission horse race, or will a "normal running speed" horse do? I tried it with the horse I got from Bonnie's mission, and couldn't win.

edit: wait, reading a FAQ, that IS an unusually fast horse? How come the other horses in the race were faster?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 29, 2010

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Rei_ posted:

Also with 'The Wronged Woman' Would the outcome have been different had I disarmed the husband? Can I?

No you can't. There's only one mission-based duel that you can disarm in, and it tells you explicitly to not kill the guy.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel bad when people are chasing me on horses, and I try to shoot them but hit their horse by accident. Is that normal?

Also do I need a "fast running speed" horse to beat that story mission horse race, or will a "normal running speed" horse do? I tried it with the horse I got from Bonnie's mission, and couldn't win.

edit: wait, reading a FAQ, that IS an unusually fast horse? How come the other horses in the race were faster?

Well, sorry to break it to you, that golden horse Bonnie gives you is 3 Star Quality. The highest in the game.
That being said, there's no speed difference between 2 and 3, only 1 and 2. 1s tend to be donkeys and malnourished horses.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Is it bad that my playtime is currently 2 days 18:27:04?

Unless the game time counter is off, I don't see how I've played that much.

I just got to Mexico and have played the first Ricketts and De Santa mission

My friend just finished and was sitting at around 30 hours. I have no idea where the time went.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

BlazeKinser posted:

Attack a domesticated animal like a horse or a cow within a settlement and you'll probably get it.

No dice. You are talking about the free roam in multiplayer, right? Bandits don't attack Armadillo in multiplayer.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Just a quick question.

How big is the map, approximately? I still hooked on JC2 and just need a little comparison.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know what JC2 is but the map in this is loving massive. Maybe like Fallout 3 size, I dunno I didn't play that game too much, but it puts GTA4 and San Andreas to shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrunkyBiscuit
Oct 26, 2002

While goofing off in a free roam session tonight I learned that hitting someone in the head with a stick of dynamite will kill a person. No explosions needed!

• Locked thread