Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006
Which nuns are these? the ones in chuparosa or the ones in armadillo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Really not liking some of the things this game is making my character do. John is supposed to be a reformed sorta good guy but has no problem helping (early Mexico spoilers) rounding up dozens of women to be gang raped and then burning their village to the ground? My only solace was that one of the Mexican army guys accidentally walked into the fire after the cut scene and died what sounded like a very painful death.

Did I have any other options in that one? I wanted to attack the soldiers but didn't see a way.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You know, I never got the Love is the Opiate Stranger task... was there something special that needed to be done to unlock it?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Fuzz posted:

You know, I never got the Love is the Opiate Stranger task... was there something special that needed to be done to unlock it?

I think you have to finish Poppycock first.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fracturus Cactusmas posted:

Which nuns are these? the ones in chuparosa or the ones in armadillo?

If you mean the rosary-delivering nun, she found me in Armadillo but I don't think it's fixed.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

leidend posted:

Really not liking some of the things this game is making my character do. John is supposed to be a reformed sorta good guy but has no problem helping (early Mexico spoilers) rounding up dozens of women to be gang raped and then burning their village to the ground? My only solace was that one of the Mexican army guys accidentally walked into the fire after the cut scene and died what sounded like a very painful death.

Did I have any other options in that one? I wanted to attack the soldiers but didn't see a way.

I think the purpose of that mission was to show a few things about John. First of all, he isn't entirely comfortable with what he is doing in Mexico (Future mission spoilers: This becomes apparent in later missions after the army betrays you ), however, his foremost goal is to get his family back without any harm coming to them. In order to make sure this happens he has to follow up on the only leads available to him, the Army and Luisa/Ricketts/eventually Reyes. If he betrayed the army over a village he didn't care about, he would lose a vast majority of his leads on Javier and Williamson at that time.

It shows John to be rather consequentialist in that he justifies his means because the end was keeping his family safe and getting them out of harm's way. Remember that getting his family back is his first priority by and far above punishing what the Mexican government was doing to Mexican peasants.

Meta-Game Spoilers
It also sets up the second act of the story to tie into the title. John commits evil for the army to find Williamson and Javier and reaches rock bottom when he is betrayed by his my prominent lead. He redeems himself when he helps the rebels depose Col. Allende and finally when he catches Allende and Williamson. Thus the second act sees John earning his redemption both in the scope of the act and in the game thus far.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mylan posted:

I think you have to finish Poppycock first.

I did. :smith:

I found the first part of it, got the horse, now the second part isn't showing up. :smithicide:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

God drat some stupid glitch just happened when I had over $2000 and left me with $27 for no good reason. There are a lot of bugs in this game.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

loving christ this game hates me. 4 raccoons and it freezes again.

My brother is playing on the same PS3 and he's never had it lock up.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I did. :smith:

I found the first part of it, got the horse, now the second part isn't showing up. :smithicide:
It won't show up unless you're riding the correct horse. The correct horse is the white one with the dark face.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

csidle posted:

It won't show up unless you're riding the correct horse. The correct horse is the white one with the dark face.

I am. :smithicide:

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Does riding it matter? I'm pretty sure I broke the horse and then led it on my own horse all the way back, and it worked.

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

Fuzz posted:

Are you giving away your personal horse? When I did it, I just broke a white one in the wild and rode it barebacked with my horse following me right to the guy. Maybe if you make it your horse it makes it unable to be given to the guy?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Crazygamer posted:

Does riding it matter? I'm pretty sure I broke the horse and then led it on my own horse all the way back, and it worked.

I beat the first part with the horse. The quest hasn't popped back up though, that's the problem.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Fracturus Cactusmas posted:

The movies in Blackwater are pretty fun...

Are there more than two? All I've gotten is the medicine one and the strongman one. As simple as those movies looked to make, I'm surprised rockstar didn't do more than a dozen.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Fuzz posted:

Did you hand in the horse already? I recall the second part took place near a train station after I did a few storyline missions, but I can't remember which station.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I beat the first part with the horse. The quest hasn't popped back up though, that's the problem.

I think I was looking around for it too, afterwards, but it didn't show up until later. Wait a few days and see what happens?

Atom1klad
Dec 17, 2002

Noxville posted:

God drat some stupid glitch just happened when I had over $2000 and left me with $27 for no good reason. There are a lot of bugs in this game.

It really surprised me how many bugs there are, some of them are Fallout 3 quality fuckups. I should love this game, but the terrible controls and bugs just make me not want to play.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

Atom1klad posted:

...terrible controls...

I have walked into the water a zillion times, tried to turn only to fall off a cliff, and fallen off plenty of balconies. I really hate how the game handles, including having a "brake" button for the horse. My family has horses, and they don't just start walking once you get on them, nor do they constantly start walking if you relax the reins after stopping them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kin posted:

Objectively, compared to the previous rockstar sandbox games, there isn't that much in this, which is why you've got a lot of people easilly 100%ing it within a week or two of owning it.

The towns are very small and at most contain the same shops with the same wares as every other place and all of the distance between them is vacant desert with a spot of wildlife running about.

The missions were good, and the hunting simlator is not bad, but just about everything else is passable at best.

I don't know. I don't think the game has less than the GTA games at all. I think the reason more people are 100%ing it has more to do with the fact that there aren't any bullshit hidden packages/pigeons etc. Sure, there's the herb collecting and the hunting, but there's nothing that makes you follow a map guide step by step, only to find out that you've missed one along the way, and now have 243/244 bullshit collection items.

I know that's why I've never bothered completing a GTA game before, anyway.

E: Also to the people above me talking about glitches, that really sucks. So far I've played a poo poo ton out of this game, and the only glitches I've experienced have only served to further my enjoyment with the game. For instance, doing the Tumbleweed gang hideout for the first time, John Marston randomly took off like a rocket ship and flew 3 or 4 hundred yards away, kicking and screaming the whole time. I thought for sure I was dead, but John just got up, dusted himself off, and made his way back to Tumbleweed to continue killin' bandits.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 29, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright, I'm pretty loving :argh: at Poker.

Can someone explain what side pot and main part are? I finally got a nice hand (jack high flush) after near a hundred bad hands overall, and I get a 2.5k chip pot, and the drat thing gets split before anyone even shows their hand. I won both side and main pot, but I didn't get the loving achievement.

WHAT THE HELL?! :rant:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DrNutt posted:

I don't know. I don't think the game has less than the GTA games at all. I think the reason more people are 100%ing it has more to do with the fact that there aren't any bullshit hidden packages/pigeons etc. Sure, there's the herb collecting and the hunting, but there's nothing that makes you follow a map guide step by step, only to find out that you've missed one along the way, and now have 243/244 bullshit collection items.

I know that's why I've never bothered completing a GTA game before, anyway.

It's more than just hidden packages. The GTA games had a greater variety of vehicles, activities, scenery, characters, vehicle stunts, hidden world items and bugger knows wht else i'm forgetting and in most cases didn't feel like a bunch of "the same shops" copy pasted all over the map separated by desert.

Also, because that rockstar social site is playing up what exactly should my stats read for bounties in regards to 100%

I've done all the challenges, bought all the homes and guns, completed all the missions an all the strangers, won all the minigames and done all the jobs. I have 98.9% and my bounty list reads:

New Austin - 8
Nuevo - 2
West Elizabeth - 4

What should those three numbers end up at to get the 100%?

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Morter posted:

Alright, I'm pretty loving :argh: at Poker.

Can someone explain what side pot and main part are? I finally got a nice hand (jack high flush) after near a hundred bad hands overall, and I get a 2.5k chip pot, and the drat thing gets split before anyone even shows their hand. I won both side and main pot, but I didn't get the loving achievement.

WHAT THE HELL?! :rant:

If someone is all in and two other people continue betting past the amount he had then that excess money goes into a side pot which only those two can win. The main pot is the pot that all players are involved in.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Hm, I've been searching for nearly half an hour now, and found 1 other player online who quit after 30 seconds. Is it usually this quiet?
Anybody who wants to play, my PSN is TheUsagi21.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Kin posted:

It's more than just hidden packages. The GTA games had a greater variety of vehicles, activities, scenery, characters, vehicle stunts, hidden world items and bugger knows wht else i'm forgetting and in most cases didn't feel like a bunch of "the same shops" copy pasted all over the map separated by desert.

Also, because that rockstar social site is playing up what exactly should my stats read for bounties in regards to 100%

I've done all the challenges, bought all the homes and guns, completed all the missions an all the strangers, won all the minigames and done all the jobs. I have 98.9% and my bounty list reads:

New Austin - 8
Nuevo - 2
West Elizabeth - 4

What should those three numbers end up at to get the 100%?

That'd be New Austin 8, Neuvo 8, West Elizabeth 4.

And you're exactly where I'm at too, on bouties. :hfive:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Why, when you do a bounty do enemies respawn infinitely and run in at warp speed and knock you over then kill you. That makes it almost impossible for me to get my bounty on my horse, loot anything and get out of there.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Getting to $5000 Wanted level on Free Roam is a sonofabitch.

To everyone not digging the game, straight up, go trade it in and post in another thread. There's honestly nothing anyone can say here that's going to change your opinion if the game hasn't blown you away yet.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

Why, when you do a bounty do enemies respawn infinitely and run in at warp speed and knock you over then kill you. That makes it almost impossible for me to get my bounty on my horse, loot anything and get out of there.

Your main target and goal should be to capture the bounty, get him on your horse, and book it back to the jail to drop him off asap. Quit trying to loot bodies or skin horses or whatever because you'll honestly make more dough if you just turn the bandito in.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Has anyone else failed to have their Social Club outfit unlock? I'm still waiting on the Gentlemans Attire and it's pissing me off.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 29, 2010

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't waste time looting. It is pretty funny when you are in Mexico and you watch a bandito on a loving donkey get up to 90 miles an hour to catch up with you.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lilac posted:

I've just arrived in mexico, and I have to say I'm getting pretty lukewarm towards this game. Sure, if you loved san andreas more than anything in the world ever this might be a fantastic game, but if it weren't for some of the characters, I'd probably trade it in for a gift card or something.
Same here. A lot of things were so new to me at first that it hooked me. But the more I've played, the more that this plays out like your typical Rockstar game. Interesting sandbox environment, good story, easy to play, and not a ton of depth.

I think it's worth the $60 and I'm glad Rockstar took their series to another environment. But I don't find the game as revolutionary as some are making it out to be.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Also when people were recommending westerns in the last thread no-one mentioned High Plains Drifter, which owns.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Noxville posted:

Also when people were recommending westerns in the last thread no-one mentioned High Plains Drifter, which owns.

It seriously does.

Holy loving poo poo. I got charged at by a bear, but it stopped right in front of me and roared as it rose on its back legs. Dead Eye Shotgun right under the jaw, fell straight on its back. KO'd.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Noxville posted:

I so wanted a bull whip in this game.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I can not for the life of me get the scrap "Protect mexicans from bandito attacks". All the random encounters I'm getting in the area are "Shoot birds" or "Capture prisoners" :( :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

The guide says to wait a few weeks for the second part to show up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Noxville posted:

What.

Someone even linked a video from it, and people talked about how they were sad to see a lack of a whip in this game.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mister Bung posted:

Has anyone else failed to have their Social Club outfit unlock? I'm still waiting on the Gentlemans Attire and it's pissing me off.
You have to reload the game for DLC to unlock. I only got it after the second time I played.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Mosaic Perception posted:

If someone is all in and two other people continue betting past the amount he had then that excess money goes into a side pot which only those two can win. The main pot is the pot that all players are involved in.

I got the 2000 chips achievement by going to the high stakes Blackwater one and just raising and betting constantly. I wasn't even looking at my cards. Took me about a minute. The AI wusses out if you are like ALL IN every time.

I'm surprised they didn't catch on, they just kept folding and when someone stuck around I just happened to have a better hand, I guess? I got like 5000 chips in a few hands just constantly shoving all my chips into the table.

Then I went to go pick flowers in my best finery. :3:

Then I got eaten by a cougar. :ohdear: (I gotta work on that two-cougars-with-the-knife thing. What's the best area for that?)

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Fuzz posted:

What.

Someone even linked a video from it, and people talked about how they were sad to see a lack of a whip in this game.

I only read the last ~dozen pages of the last thread since I only got the game on Thursday, didn't see that.

• Locked thread