Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009
I read in the other post about RDR being on TV tonight? Is that true? what channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I just realized the train cutscean at the beginning of the game is a shout out to the first scene in Fistful of Dynamite.

Anyone else find any cool shout outs like that?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Splits posted:

I have walked into the water a zillion times, tried to turn only to fall off a cliff, and fallen off plenty of balconies. I really hate how the game handles, including having a "brake" button for the horse. My family has horses, and they don't just start walking once you get on them, nor do they constantly start walking if you relax the reins after stopping them.

Christ, what kind of loving lovely gamepad are you using? I just tested this and my horse doesn't move an inch when I get on it and even after I get him going full tilt, he stops on a dime when I pull the reins to stop him.

I'm all for people giving their two cents on a game, but this is just ridiculous.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I can not for the life of me get the scrap "Protect mexicans from bandito attacks". All the random encounters I'm getting in the area are "Shoot birds" or "Capture prisoners" :( :(

I'm not this far yet because I like just loving around but if it's like the "Protect Armadillo" scrap, it's not a random encounter like the other ones. A group of bandits will just attack a town at some point (listen for the screaming!)

Unrelated, I haven't really had any problems with the controls in general, either. Shooting out windows likes to glitch out a decent amount though. I've found that as long as you don't take cover right under the window it usually works fine.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

is it possible to shoot someone's hat off in a duel? I'm in mexico and this guy had the largest loving brim I could ever hope for and I am clicking the gently caress out of it and I got shot without a single x registering

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Yes.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

AndyElusive posted:

Christ, what kind of loving lovely gamepad are you using? I just tested this and my horse doesn't move an inch when I get on it and even after I get him going full tilt, he stops on a dime when I pull the reins to stop him.

I'm all for people giving their two cents on a game, but this is just ridiculous.

Actually with this game and this game only I've noticed that so much as breathing up on the analogue stick will make it register as full tilt upwards. I'll go gambling and suddenly I will be betting everything as soon as the round starts, or my horses will saunter of their own accord.

Doesn't happen in other games though, and I play MW2 on a really high sensitivity so I'd notice if it was just my controller.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
When you lose a duel, is it a normal game over or something else?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

When you lose a duel, is it a normal game over or something else?
Game Over.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
Just played this at a mate's house earlier today for the first time, and i think it may be my new favourite dicking around game, as well as helping me fully realise my hatred for horses. Everything just seems incredibly tight and well put together, and it makes me wish they could upgrade GTA4's control system to be more like this so i don't feel like literally killing all my loved ones every time i play it.

Quick question though, outside of dicking around, is the story-based gameplay worth actually purchasing a copy of the game for? (Short answer is probably yes)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Rei_ posted:

Then I got eaten by a cougar. :ohdear: (I gotta work on that two-cougars-with-the-knife thing. What's the best area for that?)

Just north of Plainview. Cougars out of loving nowhere.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rei_ posted:

Actually with this game and this game only I've noticed that so much as breathing up on the analogue stick will make it register as full tilt upwards. I'll go gambling and suddenly I will be betting everything as soon as the round starts, or my horses will saunter of their own accord.

Doesn't happen in other games though, and I play MW2 on a really high sensitivity so I'd notice if it was just my controller.

I don't know what to tell you, I'm sitting here right in front of my game and I'm feathering the left stick forward and my horse will take two steps (four steps? four legs?) forward and then stop. Sometimes just one.

Also, I can replicate the effect of the horse not stopping fully when I pull the "breaks" but I can get a complete stop if I hold the reins and don't release until he's come to a stand still.

I'm really trying to make the controls suck here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They might have a wandering 360 joystick. They're made of garbage and it affects 150% of all 360 controllers.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Polite Tim posted:

Quick question though, outside of dicking around, is the story-based gameplay worth actually purchasing a copy of the game for? (Short answer is probably yes)

I'd say yes, but I also think that playing straight through the story you'd basically be missing the real game. Very subjective point of view, obviously.

Aphrodite posted:

They might have a wandering 360 joystick. They're made of garbage and it affects 150% of all 360 controllers.

One of mine does it if the batteries are close to dying.

Yossarian
Jun 23, 2003
Can someone please explain to me how metatags work? I tried friending RedxDeadxGoons. Am I supposed to do anything else? Sorry I've never used them before. My GT is JugeMC.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Does this game run worse if you install it to the Hard Drive or is it just a buggy mess no matter what? I'm loving the game, but the random freezing is obnoxious. Also, I'm not entirely sure what happens when you die. Does it just reload the last save or just send you back to the nearest house?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Someone said it earlier, but the roof of the saloon/your house in Chuparosa is really awesome for getting the large bounties. You just get like a thousand or so at a time, let it wear down, collect the fallen's guns, rinse and repeat.

Also when I started doing this I tried to start it by shooting someone outside the saloon. Their friend pulled out a shotgun and that was the end of me. Then he started to pee on my corpse. This loving game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

AndyElusive posted:

Getting to $5000 Wanted level on Free Roam is a sonofabitch.

To everyone not digging the game, straight up, go trade it in and post in another thread. There's honestly nothing anyone can say here that's going to change your opinion if the game hasn't blown you away yet.

You do the $5000 bounty in single player not multi.

This also isn't gamefaqs or North Korea and as such those of us who aren't willing to saunter over to Rockstar to give them a little ball tickle with their complementary fanboy cocksuck can post whatever the hell we please.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Yossarian posted:

Can someone please explain to me how metatags work? I tried friending RedxDeadxGoons. Am I supposed to do anything else? Sorry I've never used them before. My GT is JugeMC.

Once you're approved, you'll be able to view the people the metatag is friends with. If you pull up the metatag's profile, there's another tab across the top which says "view friends" or something like that. Then you can see who is online.

So, was it Rockstar's intention to make me hate every Mexican in the game? Because I do. There is something wrong with all of them. If they aren't morally bankrupt they're complete idiots. Sometimes both!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

skoolmunkee posted:

So, was it Rockstar's intention to make me hate every Mexican in the game? Because I do. There is something wrong with all of them. If they aren't morally bankrupt they're complete idiots. Sometimes both!

Luisa's sister wasn't bad at all, I didn't think.

Yossarian
Jun 23, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

Once you're approved, you'll be able to view the people the metatag is friends with. If you pull up the metatag's profile, there's another tab across the top which says "view friends" or something like that. Then you can see who is online.

I actually think I figured that part out, but I couldn't tell how to join the specific game those people are in. Is that even possible or do you have to start a new game and invite everyone?

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

There weren't many characters in the game that weren't morally bankrupt.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

She was too bossy. What are you doing, stay on the road! We're running out of time! Girl, you may be too young por la revolucion, but surely you can shoot a gun while I drive >:[

I'm sure there are one or two exceptions in minor characters, but all the ones you had multiple contact with were generally unpleasant, even Luisa. I could not wait to get out of Mexico.

Edit: ^^ You're right for the most part, but I think I was spoiled with Bonnie and the Marshal being stand-up folks. I think Mexico just felt that way because there wasn't a 'good' side, I didn't want to help any of them in the end. I mean, it's interesting writing, but ugh.

Now I am in Blackwater waiting for the general store owner to get back in his store so I can buy this Standardbred deed, but he's wandering around town chatting everyone up, smoking under stairs, and talking about women's panties. It's been two days now.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 29, 2010

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Kin posted:

You do the $5000 bounty in single player not multi.

This also isn't gamefaqs or North Korea and as such those of us who aren't willing to saunter over to Rockstar to give them a little ball tickle with their complementary fanboy cocksuck can post whatever the hell we please.

Check this out: Free Roam > Journal > Challenges > Outlaw I - Bounty - Rank 3 and I quote, "Gain a bounty of $5000"

Are some of you people too busy bitching about this game too actually play it?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 29, 2010

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
A lot of them aren't aware that there are challenges in free roam. I sure as hell wasn't until a bunch of goons were talking about it in my posse. I'm really annoyed with the outlaw I-public enemy rank 3 challenge Become Public Enemy 50 times.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't even bother with them unless they got a title, wish you could see how you got your titles though as my current one is 'Tasted it...' and I want to know what the hell I did to get that.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Orcrez posted:

I read in the other post about RDR being on TV tonight? Is that true? what channel?

Fox at midnight, it's directed by the guy that directed The Road, but from the trailer it looked like splice together cutscenes instead of true machinima. But it will be dope nonetheless.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

is it possible to shoot someone's hat off in a duel? I'm in mexico and this guy had the largest loving brim I could ever hope for and I am clicking the gently caress out of it and I got shot without a single x registering

The trick to shooting off people's hats:

Shoot the brim of the hat, if you shoot the hat part you'll pop them in the head 9 times out of 10

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

GhostDog posted:

I'd say yes, but I also think that playing straight through the story you'd basically be missing the real game. Very subjective point of view, obviously.

Yeah, i generally do as much outside stuff as i can in a game (i.e platinumed AC2 etc), i think what i was trying to say was, would it be worth getting a copy myself or would just spending an afternoon at my mates shooting horses in the back of the head be roughly the same amount of enjoyment. I suppose the main benefit would be the online aspect, which i would probably love anyway.

I do love the controls, shooting guys faces off has never been easier, and not having an auto aim for shooting was definitely a good idea

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Polite Tim posted:

Yeah, i generally do as much outside stuff as i can in a game (i.e platinumed AC2 etc), i think what i was trying to say was, would it be worth getting a copy myself or would just spending an afternoon at my mates shooting horses in the back of the head be roughly the same amount of enjoyment. I suppose the main benefit would be the online aspect, which i would probably love anyway.

I do love the controls, shooting guys faces off has never been easier, and not having an auto aim for shooting was definitely a good idea

Just get it already. You know you want to anyway :)

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Can someone please outline a guide for me in how to shoot a guy's hand off in a duel? I am absolutely horrible and I've been trying forever.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I'm loving the hell out of this game currently and I'm not even that far in.

Early spoiler question: After confronting Williamson with the posse where they ride around you in the burnt down building and capturing his goon I saw a blip on my map for "item" but when I rode over there there was nothing there. What was it?

However, in multiplayer, is everyone in public games just killing each other instead of forming posses like you're supposed to? Do I need to just join the goon metatag and play private games with serious people to enjoy it?

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Stump Truck posted:

I'm loving the hell out of this game currently and I'm not even that far in.

Early spoiler question: After confronting Williamson with the posse where they ride around you in the burnt down building and capturing his goon I saw a blip on my map for "item" but when I rode over there there was nothing there. What was it?

However, in multiplayer, is everyone in public games just killing each other instead of forming posses like you're supposed to? Do I need to just join the goon metatag and play private games with serious people to enjoy it?

Most random people accept posse invitations if you at least tell them over mic that you're gonna do hideouts or something.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?

Cat Machine posted:

You have to reload the game for DLC to unlock. I only got it after the second time I played.

Reload how? Start a new game?

I've been waiting for the unlock since day 1

SweeneyTodd
May 30, 2002

Forums Barber

AndyElusive posted:

I don't know what to tell you, I'm sitting here right in front of my game and I'm feathering the left stick forward and my horse will take two steps (four steps? four legs?) forward and then stop. Sometimes just one.

Also, I can replicate the effect of the horse not stopping fully when I pull the "breaks" but I can get a complete stop if I hold the reins and don't release until he's come to a stand still.

I'm really trying to make the controls suck here.

Different horses handle differently. Seriously. Some of them love to keep walking around when you don't want them to. Try taming/buying another one and see how it behaves, maybe? I spent half the game working with one who loved to sprint 30 yards past wherever the hell I whistled him to, then finally found out it was just him.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Baby Cakes posted:

Though the music is decent in this game it leaves a bit to be desired. If there's one thing memorable from old western movies is the music, especially from Ennio Morricone. The two times when music with lyrics popped up really broke the atmosphere for me. The singing was too "modern" for the game's era and even if the lyrics were fitting, the song itself didn't fit into the game.

I was hoping for more of stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKhQ8ObQ7E

Even the opening splash screen feels like a tribute to Harmonica, I felt like there were moments that could have given a few more nods to Morricone.

I couldn't disagree with this harder.

Red Dead Redemption isn't a spaghetti western. It's a Peckinpah western, if similar to any cinematic "type." But even then, I feel like it's a more completely historical game than it is married to any one type of western.

The music for this game is loving perfect.

My only complaints are:

- The anti-government polemics aren't a little more robust.
- Some lost opportunities with the Mexican revolution stuff (in terms of making both Reyes and Allende less ridiculous caricatures).
- I can't shoot pinkertons.

Everything else about this game is awesome.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SweeneyTodd posted:

Different horses handle differently. Seriously. Some of them love to keep walking around when you don't want them to. Try taming/buying another one and see how it behaves, maybe? I spent half the game working with one who loved to sprint 30 yards past wherever the hell I whistled him to, then finally found out it was just him.

Yeah horses definitely do act differently. The first horse I had was absolutely perfect, and would always be and go exactly where I whistled, but the one I have now is sort of retarded and takes forever to come, and half the time never really stops where I want it to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The default donkey in multiplayer is really stupid too. When you whistle for it, it comes towards you, but then runs away when you try to mount.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
What the hell? I was sprinting on some railroad tracks on my horse and it looked like he tripped over a plank and died. He wasn't shot and I wasn't pushing him THAT hard.

Game owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The default donkey in multiplayer is really stupid too. When you whistle for it, it comes towards you, but then runs away when you try to mount.

For me, this is like every horse in both single player and multiplayer.

• Locked thread