Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fracturus Cactusmas
Sep 5, 2006

Dotcom656 posted:

I just put 14 rounds into Ross's face and when the camera panned to him falling into the river his face looked like red crumpled tin foil.

Over all this was a very well written game. and when John is dieing after getting shot by the army, just heaving for 20 seconds. Ugh it sounded awful. and Jacks voice acting could have been a lot better as well.

If Jack's voice acting was better then you wouldn't appreciate, retroactively, the quality of John's voice work as much :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sdr782 posted:

Is there any high quality pics of the outfits online? The pictures on the red dead wiki are practically thumbnail sized. I just wanna see if the poncho outfit makes you look like The man with no name

Poncho is just the Cowboy outfit, with a raggedy-rear end poncho over it.

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
Is there a trick to the horse breaking mini-game? Do you continually lean in one direction or the other? Do you have to lean forwards or backwards? The game is not entirely clear on what to do

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Roshi posted:

Is there a trick to the horse breaking mini-game? Do you continually lean in one direction or the other? Do you have to lean forwards or backwards? The game is not entirely clear on what to do

You generall move the control stick left and right. You need to keep John in the center, so push the stick away in the direction he's at currently.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Roshi posted:

If you begin to lean one way, use the stick to move the other way. That's all there is to it. You want to stay centered on the horse. Also it's not about leaning forwards or backwards, all you need to concentrate on is how the character is moving side to side.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Roshi posted:

Left stick, tap don't hold.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Truth Shall Set You Free: An Awesome Mission

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
Someone please tab/write down the chords to Far Away, it's a beautiful song and I'd love to be able to play it.

I didn't even hear it in the game but even on youtube it just transmits this powerful feeling of sadness and loneliness. I love it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ShowTime posted:

If you begin to lean one way, use the stick to move the other way. That's all there is to it. You want to stay centered on the horse. Also it's not about leaning forwards or backwards, all you need to concentrate on is how the character is moving side to side.

I just watch Marston's boots and lean in the direction of the one that's the highest up. He also apparently starts hollering if he's about to fall, but he hollers a lot when breaking a horse.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
He starts flailing his arms wildly when about to fall.

Christ, the soundtrack is amazing. It sends chills down my spine, listening to it. I regret playing the game as just a game instead of really taking in the whole experience. It doesn't help that I've spoiled the ending for myself reading the last thread and aren't really motivated to finish it.

Sometimes I wish I could erase my memory of something and experience it with a clean slate.

Still, I'm finishing this poo poo tomorrow.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Finally popped that 100%. I was missing the Aztec gold stranger mission.

Now the only single player achievements i have left are the one where you have to kill 500 people with the mounted gun, kill every animal (i should nearly be done) and escape from the law on one of those white horses.

What value of bounty do i need in order to do that one? I tried just killing a cop in blackwater and escaping on the horse but that didn't give me anything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kin posted:

Finally popped that 100%. I was missing the Aztec gold stranger mission.

Now the only single player achievements i have left are the one where you have to kill 500 people with the mounted gun, kill every animal (i should nearly be done) and escape from the law on one of those white horses.

What value of bounty do i need in order to do that one? I tried just killing a cop in blackwater and escaping on the horse but that didn't give me anything.

The achievement specifically mentions you need to be chased by U.S Marshals which only come out after you've gotten yourself a high enough bounty. I forget precisely how much money you need to rack up in Bounty before the game tells you that they're coming for you, but once those guys show up just escape on the Hungarian Half-Bred and you'll get it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Howard Beale posted:

I just watch Marston's boots and lean in the direction of the one that's the highest up. He also apparently starts hollering if he's about to fall, but he hollers a lot when breaking a horse.

if you watch the screen, it clearly changes perspective whenever he goes over the "middle". just compensate appropriately and you are good to go

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kin posted:

Build up a decent-sized bounty (I had $800) then evade the sheriffs and go to a new area. The Marshals will catch up to you.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think if nothing else this game has some of the most satisfying gun-fire/ricochet sounds I've ever heard in any game. The guns just make an incredibly visceral sound.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

sdr782 posted:

Is there any high quality pics of the outfits online? The pictures on the red dead wiki are practically thumbnail sized. I just wanna see if the poncho outfit makes you look like The man with no name

It definitely does. I wore it most of the game because I was the man with no name in my head.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Reyes Rebel outfit has a superior poncho with it, but you have to wear the silly bandana. Being able to chop and change headgear/body/legs would be great.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
So I'm screwing around in Free Roam and notice there's two small posses fighting over El Presidio (the Mexican fort with the cannons), and since I'm sick of flower picking for the drat challenges I decided to go over and have a little mindless deathmatching. As the server gradually fills up, people notice that this is where all the action is and begin fast traveling to get in on it too, and eventually it turns into three four-man posses and a bunch of loners having a massive war for control of the fort, and as soon as a group gets cleared out of the fort the winner rush in and immediately turn the cannons and Gatlings on everyone outside the walls.

This is clearly what Free Roam was meant for. We need to figure out how to make things like this happen more often.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

BlazeKinser posted:

So I'm screwing around in Free Roam and notice there's two small posses fighting over El Presidio (the Mexican fort with the cannons), and since I'm sick of flower picking for the drat challenges I decided to go over and have a little mindless deathmatching. As the server gradually fills up, people notice that this is where all the action is and begin fast traveling to get in on it too, and eventually it turns into three four-man posses and a bunch of loners having a massive war for control of the fort, and as soon as a group gets cleared out of the fort the winner rush in and immediately turn the cannons and Gatlings on everyone outside the walls.

This is clearly what Free Roam was meant for. We need to figure out how to make things like this happen more often.

I mentioned in the last thread that we need to schedule a goon game. Last time we had an easy 16 (iirc we even had to sit out a few people since the max a free roam can hold is 16). The last time we just got 16 people that were brand new to the game and did hideouts, i'm wondering if now it might be even more enjoyable now that people have been playing for awhile and know the game. We could start off with some free roam while people gather, move onto some gang shootout/capture the bag and the end with a king of the kill type game at el presidio.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I just beat the game and Maybe I skipped a few too many cutscenes but why did Ross come back to kill Marston? He paid his debt by finding/killing dutch and was just living peacefully on the farm. So why be a dick?

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I find it really hard to find anything I'm looking for, like bunnies or flower patches, due to the distractingly bad graphics. I was shocked that they still release games in 720p :/

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vehementi posted:

I find it really hard to find anything I'm looking for, like bunnies or flower patches, due to the distractingly bad graphics. I was shocked that they still release games in 720p :/

All games are in 720p (or less). You can count the number of 1080p console games on one hand.

Also, if you can't find rabbits or flowers because of "low-resolution", your are legally blind. Please don't operate heavy machinery.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Vehementi posted:

I'm curious as to what, in your opinion, are good graphics, since RDR's are "bad"?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well poo poo, glad I went through all of that to play a whole bunch of horrifically boring tutorial missions!

Yes I know there's more but my god the pacing and drama of this story just went from 1000 to 0 in no time.

kiph
Apr 28, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favourite line in the game:

Marston: "So you're like, a national gigolo."

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
So is that short flim on tonight at midnight on FOX?

Lilac
Dec 8, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Greedish posted:

I regret playing the game as just a game instead of really taking in the whole experience.

I can help you relive that.

Inventory<Improved Camp<Travel to location

Wait for five hours for a quest giver to open

There, that's like 85% of the game. You're welcome.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I was literally two missions from the end of Mexico before I figured out you could fast travel to a waypoint, so I got sidetracked a lot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kiph posted:

My favourite line in the game:

Marston: "So you're like, a national gigolo."

One time when accepting a duel Marston said: "Sure, I've got time to kill, you."

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Smashlampjaw posted:

So is that short flim on tonight at midnight on FOX?

It's on RIGHT NOW :supaburn:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

404GoonNotFound posted:

JOHN loving HILLCOAT

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Not that I'm going to update every few minutes, but I just made it up to the first commercial...and I don't know what to think.

It seems to pretty much use cutscenes and a few action shots from a Marshall Johnson mission. I hope there's going to be some sort of direction soon...

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
It's just cutscenes edited differently with a few cinematic travel shots in between, yeah. It really does show off how beautiful this game is, though.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Morter posted:

Not that I'm going to update every few minutes, but I just made it up to the first commercial...and I don't know what to think.

It seems to pretty much use cutscenes and a few action shots from a Marshall Johnson mission. I hope there's going to be some sort of direction soon...

Yeah, I was under the impression it was going to be a short film made with assets from the game, not just strung together cutscenes. Oh well, I'll watch anyway.

edit: Well it's over, I guess. It sure was a thing I suppose. I haven't had the time to get very far into the game, but it spoiled the Fort Mercer scene for me a little bit. If you missed it, it's nothing to fret over, it was really just a half-hour long commercial for the game.

Awcko fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 30, 2010

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
So whenever I get an invite to play RDR with goons, I accept and a few seconds later I get Error: Please check your network settings. I am able to play multiplayer fine if I just join a game randomly. What am I doing wrong?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hahahaha, what the gently caress is this poo poo supposed to be? It is horrible. By the way, isn't there a live action movie coming out this year that is suspiciously just like Red Dead Redemption?

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
So no one else has had a problem with the Gentlemans Attire not automatically unlocking?
I'm very definitely linked into the R* Social Club and have saved and camped a LOT since I linked it and still nothing.

Also, another glitch I came across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0JiDPxlb4

My retarded horse will NEVER stand still damnit.

Rugpisser posted:

So whenever I get an invite to play RDR with goons, I accept and a few seconds later I get Error: Please check your network settings. I am able to play multiplayer fine if I just join a game randomly. What am I doing wrong?

Your NAT is most likely strict.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Guide-to-Opening-NAT-Xbox-360-71775.shtml or http://portforward.com/ and find your router model, then choose the rule tutorial Xbox 360 LIVE.

Mister Bung fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 30, 2010

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
What happens when you die in this game? Does it revert back to the last save? I was collecting a bunch of beaver fur and a cougar killed me and I lost everything.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just finished it. Shot that fucker Ross until his body was swiss cheese. Shame you couldn't get the other fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

err posted:

What happens when you die in this game? Does it revert back to the last save? I was collecting a bunch of beaver fur and a cougar killed me and I lost everything.

Nah, restarting at the last save is too easy. It restarts at the last autosave, either in camp or in town if you were not in camp. At least this is what I gathered.

• Locked thread