Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I'm really bad at knifing bears :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.
Shoot the bear once with the evans? (the rare weapon one) then knife it and it'll go down in one.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Doc Cylon posted:

Shoot the bear once with the evans? (the rare weapon one) then knife it and it'll go down in one.

Thanks, but lasso stunning seemed to do the trick :)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just went and "saved" my "game" with my wife.

Heh. :smug:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I just went and "saved" my "game" with my wife.

Heh. :smug:

What a coincidence! I just went and saved my game with your wife as well.

What a zany world in which we live, partner. :clint:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
You son of a bitch.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, this horse thing is extremely confusing. I bought a deed for a new horse, and the golden horse from before (the same one described above), is it gone forever? I just read in a faq that it was one of the best horses in the game...

The "golden horse" is a Kentucky Saddler that you can buy the deed to from the store in Armadillo. I killed my first one because it kept wandering off.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is there any way to get the game back to using the normal bullet time mode? I really, really dislike the "painting" type. It's far, far to easy in combat apart from when it annoyingly passes over someone I dont want to target.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ShineDog posted:

Is there any way to get the game back to using the normal bullet time mode? I really, really dislike the "painting" type. It's far, far to easy in combat apart from when it annoyingly passes over someone I dont want to target.

Keep playing story missions, it will change again.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

ShineDog posted:

Yes it becomes available later. You only have to deal with the target painting for a wee bit. Slight spoiler ahead. The first or second mission in Mexico gives you the 3rd level of Dead Eye, which allows you to manually paint targets. However, if you just shoot without designating a target, it functions as normal bullet time.

I had the exact same feelings when I had the second level dead eye, but the 3rd level sorts out that problem. I almost never use the paint function and use it mostly as just bullet time.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

roffle posted:

The "golden horse" is a Kentucky Saddler that you can buy the deed to from the store in Armadillo. I killed my first one because it kept wandering off.

You do know you can just press up on the D-pad to make it stop and come back, right? :v:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah but why the gently caress should it immediately wander off the second I get off the drat thing? For my next horse the first thing I did I was kill another horse right in front of him to show him what would happen if he disrespected me like that.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

ShineDog posted:

In retrospect, deadeye 1 and deadeye 2 should be reversed. Or, deadeye 2 should just not exist.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One thing that some people seem to be regarding as a bug but I regard as a feature is how, when you call your horse, it runs past you instead of just stopping. That way, if you hit triangle at the right time, you can jump on and keep going the direction you were at high speed instead of having to accelerate again.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing that some people seem to be regarding as a bug but I regard as a feature is how, when you call your horse, it runs past you instead of just stopping. That way, if you hit triangle at the right time, you can jump on and keep going the direction you were at high speed instead of having to accelerate again.

I've gotten quite good at whistling for my horse while running in the direction I want to ride off in. My horse will usually gallop in from behind me and I'll press the mount button as it passes and I'll hop on. Really handy when making a quick getaway.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!

AndyElusive posted:

I've gotten quite good at whistling for my horse while running in the direction I want to ride off in. My horse will usually gallop in from behind me and I'll press the mount button as it passes and I'll hop on. Really handy when making a quick getaway.

Not to mention it looks badass as well.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

If anyone is still looking into westerns, I have something a bit... different.

Tears of the Black Tiger. Think parody/homage Thai western. The Trailer gives a good idea of what to expect.

It's available on Netflix both streaming and DVD, although the streaming one is apparently a cut-up (worse) version.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now, ideally, that's how that is supposed to work, especially when I'm running in a certain direction to begin with. If, however, I'm static, with no place to go, and my horse runs for me: No matter what tactic I use, the horse will swerve around me, boosting in speed just as he gets close enough, then will actually turn just enough to go back IN THE DIRECTION HE STARTED so I end up having to chase him and then do a 180 and regain ground to where I once started :bahgawd:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
...and that's why I shoot my horses

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just so people know it's perfectly possible to make a 90% accurate remake of Last Train From Gun Hill using this game, especially if you lasso some guy and keep him in your room in Armadillo Saloon.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

If horses are wandering away that means they are anxious/scared/pissed. Either by gunfire or a nearby coyote or wolf or because you made them go up on a cliff sometime recently

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone have any tips on finding big horn sheep? I keep searching the areas marked on the map but they seem to be rarer than anything else. Is there a specific time of day that they come out?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Speaking of horses, is there any way to get the fuckers to stand still or at least stay out of the way when you get off them? I tamed a Kentucky Saddler which was awesome, and I had it for a long time, but I always had to get off him really far away from wherever I was going if there was going to be shooting because he would just run around following me unless I got really far away. At least I thought so, because I got off him like a loving half mile outside Tumbleweed, and as I was in the town behind cover with about 5 guys shooting at me, what happens but my horse decides to saunter through town and get killed by the crossfire. gently caress.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

spidoman posted:

Anyone have any tips on finding big horn sheep? I keep searching the areas marked on the map but they seem to be rarer than anything else. Is there a specific time of day that they come out?
They spawn in the hundreds around Tanner's Reach and Bearclaw camp for me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Any tips on the last Sharpshooter challenge? I know there have been a bunch of suggestions like going to barfights, but I can't consistently get this drat game to register the disarms (aka you hit their hand, not the gun) and deadeye keeps reloading my drat Evans repeater.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Fuzz posted:

Any tips on the last Sharpshooter challenge? I know there have been a bunch of suggestions like going to barfights, but I can't consistently get this drat game to register the disarms (aka you hit their hand, not the gun) and deadeye keeps reloading my drat Evans repeater.

OP to the rescue!

ShowTime posted:

How do I do sharpshooter rank 10 (disarm 6 people without reloading or switching weapons)?
Here is a youtube video you can watch for help (DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN THE GAME, THE VIDEO CONTAINS SPOILERS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R08_kg0eRYU&feature=player_embedded
The popular suggestion is to use the Evans Repeater or Mauser Pistols (weapons with high capacity), discharge all but 1 clip of ammo from said weapon and find an area densely populated with bad guys (such as a gang hideout). Use deadeye extensively. The less popular suggestion, which also happens to be mine, is to use a sniper rifle (such as the Carcano rifle) and lots of deadeye to shoot guns out of peoples hands. Doesn't matter where. The automatic weapon reload that happens when you enter deadeye does not count towards the reload counter. I did this challenge in Blackwater by aiming my sniper rifle at a cop, which caused him to draw his weapon to defend himself, and then I zoomed in on the cops gun with the sniper rifle, shot it out his hand while in deadeye, and then repeated the process on the next 2 cops (the cops carry a pistol and shotgun, shooting the pistol will cause him to draw his shotgun). So you can get 2 disarms per cop. Took about a minute to do.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm looking for someone to cheese the "go team" and "the quick and everyone else" achievements in the multiplayer mode. The games are abysmally dull but it's possible to easilly and quickly nail the achievements with 2 people.

GT is remnantkin

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

spidoman posted:

They can be found in herds in the area of Tall Trees, most notably the downward slope by the river east of Nekoti Rock. Be aware that if you shoot an animal close by the Bighorns will be spooked and may be found lower down on the map.

People should really use this, It's really helpful.
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Dead_Wiki

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I just massacred a bunch of nuns at a church. I feel like a bastard.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
I'm so glad this game autosaves like a motherfucker.

I just finished some quest, and as I was riding around the outskirts of Armadillo, I see some guy getting shot to poo poo by a bunch of bandits. I ride buy, shoot two in the head, and then jump behind the guys wagon to kill the third. Un-loving-fortunately, the game decided I did a good job and put me in a cut-scene with the victim. So we both stand out in the open, and he is like "OH WOW GOLLY JEEPERS MISTER THANKS FOR SAVING MY L-" and then the last bandit just loving shoots him in the chest four times with the carbine repeater before leaving.

So then the camera goes back to the regular third person thing, except there is no hud and I can't move or look around or do anything except pause the game, and when I do I can't see the menu.

So instead of waiting to get eaten by coyotes I had to restart my eksbocks. Fortunately I didn't lose my poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Wow the rank 10 survivalist reward is amazing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Okay, that sniper rifle suggestion is bullshit. I've tried it about 7 times now, and I keep getting gunned the hosed down because tracking is so goddamn dodgy in this game and your meter is not nearly long enough, even with Moonshine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finished Dickens' last (I hope?) racing mission, on the third try, and just barely, using all of my apples and horse pills. Was it supposed to be that hard?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just finished Dickens' last (I hope?) racing mission, on the third try, and just barely, using all of my apples and horse pills. Was it supposed to be that hard?

I did all the racing games and didn't use any horse pills or apples and won on the first try. Were you supposed to?

I was meaning to ask you guys what the best use of sprint was. Is it best to use it all and get to the red and then let it fill all the way (or very close to full) or is it best to slowly push A, such that you never stop sprinting but the sprint meter goes down very slowly? I've been doing the latter and it feels like I'm still at full speed but I might not be.

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

Fuzz posted:

Okay, that sniper rifle suggestion is bullshit. I've tried it about 7 times now, and I keep getting gunned the hosed down because tracking is so goddamn dodgy in this game and your meter is not nearly long enough, even with Moonshine.

I couldn't do it with a sniper rifle, but I had seriously no problem doing it in pike's basin with a repeater. Try that out. Just get kind of close and bring a ton of moonshine, tobacco and snake oil. It's really not super hard, and it's not like your disarm counter resets if you gently caress up and kill someone. It only resets if you change guns or reload (the deadeye reload doesnt cout obviously).

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Samurai Sanders posted:

You absolutely NEED a fast horse for his racing missions. It's is literally impossible to win with One-Star and low end Two-Star horses.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

I did all the racing games and didn't use any horse pills or apples and won on the first try. Were you supposed to?
That's why I think I did something fundamentally wrong. My horse's normal running speed was just lower than the first three people in the race, I could overcome them by sprinting but obviously couldn't do that continuously.

edit: ^^^ oh. Well, I did it with a two-star horse somehow. Like I said before I had a three star horse before (that Kentucky such-and-such you get from Bonnie) but I got a horse deed for another horse, used it, and that horse disappeared. Man, I wish the horse system made more sense, if it was a normal inventory kind of thing like with your weapons.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maid posted:

I couldn't do it with a sniper rifle, but I had seriously no problem doing it in pike's basin with a repeater. Try that out. Just get kind of close and bring a ton of moonshine, tobacco and snake oil. It's really not super hard, and it's not like your disarm counter resets if you gently caress up and kill someone. It only resets if you change guns or reload (the deadeye reload doesnt cout obviously).

I just did it with the high powered pistol while hiding in the theater in Blackwater, but I unlock the challenge and then as soon as it starts saving, I get shot in the face and die. Respawned and the challenge is complete, but I didn't get the trophy unlock if there is one. :smith:

Hope I didn't gently caress up my game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yea but the first two times I did that, I then promptly ran into the Marshall and had a bounty on my head.

TWO TIMES IN A ROW! Stupid rear end Marshall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maid
Mar 3, 2006

Do you know the Wu-Tang secret of mopping?

Fuzz posted:

I just did it with the high powered pistol while hiding in the theater in Blackwater, but I unlock the challenge and then as soon as it starts saving, I get shot in the face and die. Respawned and the challenge is complete, but I didn't get the trophy unlock if there is one. :smith:

Hope I didn't gently caress up my game.

Unless it was your first level 10 ambient challenge, there's no trophy. Even if it was, you have 3 more that it could pop up for.

• Locked thread