Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't think I've ever been this let down by a game's ending before. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if the writing not been so clunky and the game didn't crash three times on the same part of the final mission.

For every thing this game did right there's at least one thing done wrong or just broken. Dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nevermind im dumb

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Just watch Deadwood seasons 1-3. That's about the length of 20 westerns and is better.

After reading up on it I think I just might, thanks for the suggestion.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think I've ever been this let down by a game's ending before. Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if the writing not been so clunky and the game didn't crash three times on the same part of the final mission.

For every thing this game did right there's at least one thing done wrong or just broken. Dammit.

For their first shot at the big time Rockstar Purps did all right, I'm amazed it came out as good as it is myself. I can't wait for their next game, if it's another western or not I'm not really concerned.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Samurai Sanders posted:

No no, I'd prefer that they just PICKED A LANGUAGE.

I've spent a lot of time with second-language speakers, and no one just mixes their first language's words in with their second language, that's just silly.

edit: people sometimes mix their SECOND language's words in with their first language to show off, but that's a different issue.

I think it depends on the language - my family mixes english and spanish all the time.

Back to the game: is there a way to get the trains to come to the station, or buy a ticket? I need to do the "shoot birds from a moving train" thing, but I don't really want to chase the drat thing around the countryside until it stops unless I have no choice.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008
I thought what I’d do was pretend I was one of those deaf mutes, or something...

Spite posted:

I think it depends on the language - my family mixes english and spanish all the time.

Back to the game: is there a way to get the trains to come to the station, or buy a ticket? I need to do the "shoot birds from a moving train" thing, but I don't really want to chase the drat thing around the countryside until it stops unless I have no choice.

Can just wait till it stops at a station. And they really aren't that fast, and if you get next to a moving one it gives you a prompt to jump on.

chadxor
Jun 28, 2008

Spite posted:

You can jump onto the train at anytime. You just have to ride on your horse up to the second or third car.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Laughing Man posted:

For their first shot at the big time Rockstar Purps did all right, I'm amazed it came out as good as it is myself. I can't wait for their next game, if it's another western or not I'm not really concerned.

It wasn't bad to be sure but I think one of my biggest problems was with the writing. For some reason Rockstar decided that if something was worth saying once it was worth saying five loving times, usually on some long unskippable horse ride. Every character had exactly one thing to say but at least three missions of boring dialog to hammer the point home over and over and over again.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
On top of that, I can't seem to do gang matches at all anymore, it just sends me back to free roam every time telling me that I am having connection issues.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ShowTime posted:

Just watch Deadwood seasons 1-3. That's about the length of 20 westerns and is better.

I never watched Deadwood, despite it being mentioned so often if the talk comes to great TV series (I love The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.) I started watching yesterday and I'm already 10 episodes in. I really had to pry myself away from it. Highly recommendable so far.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2010

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

It wasn't bad to be sure but I think one of my biggest problems was with the writing. For some reason Rockstar decided that if something was worth saying once it was worth saying five loving times, usually on some long unskippable horse ride. Every character had exactly one thing to say but at least three missions of boring dialog to hammer the point home over and over and over again.

Yeap, pretty much a lot of filler missions that made it more obvious than the usual filler missions between exposition that GTA4 did. Like every mission up to Fort Mercer is, ok lets get ready, no wait you need something? Ok but this is the last time. Ok you ready? No? Well ok, but next time I'll kill you partner. Then same thing in Mexico, really I just wanted to shoot both of those assholes because I knew right away those jack asses had no intention of helping me but incidentally. Blackwater was better, but mostly because they didn't stretch it out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, that "drive to somewhere while talking as part of a mission" shtick is one of the few GTA-isms that I don't like that is left in this game. If only they had ditched that, this game would be pretty much everything I liked about GTA but none of what I didn't like.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

GhostDog posted:

I never watched Deadwood, despite it being mentioned so often if the talk comes to great TV series (I love The Sopranos, The Wire, etc.) I started watching yesterday and I'm already 10 episodes in. I really had to pry myself away from it. Highly recommendable so far.

One of the best things about Deadwood and what I think is a testament to how good the entire Deadwood staff is, from the actors to the writers, is that the show doesn't suffer from the "x season is better then x" syndrome that other shows suffer from. Every season is as good as the next. So even if you are only on episode 10, it gets better (or more accurately, it stays good).

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Finally down to one last multiplayer achievement, getting to level 50. Man that is going to be a loving grind :(

It probably wouldn't be so bad if the challenge rewards were actually scaled in proportion to the level exp requirements. Rank 3 challenges are only dropping about 250XP in some cases.

How they honestly expect to people to level up to 50 five times or so, even with a stream of DLC is beyond me, especially as a lot of parts of it seem like no-one actually playtested the damned thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It isn't that bad on the PS3 version where we get a hideout that can be completed in 2 and a half minutes worth 1500-3000 XP per completion, it took me maybe 2 days of playing to hit Level 50 by myself.

I'd actually go Legend if going Legendary actually had some real reward outside of "Hey, a new character no one will ever notice/New title no one will ever look at/a mount you'll get in like another 5 days time that people will kill you to steal" Seriously, gently caress, that's the first reaction people have to Bonzo the Bull: kill you to steal it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Kin posted:

Finally down to one last multiplayer achievement, getting to level 50. Man that is going to be a loving grind :(

It probably wouldn't be so bad if the challenge rewards were actually scaled in proportion to the level exp requirements. Rank 3 challenges are only dropping about 250XP in some cases.

How they honestly expect to people to level up to 50 five times or so, even with a stream of DLC is beyond me, especially as a lot of parts of it seem like no-one actually playtested the damned thing.

Best way to get EXP is just to grind Gang Hideouts or be really really good at PvP

I've seen at least 4 people with Zebra Donkeys already too.

Policenaut posted:

I'd actually go Legend if going Legendary actually had some real reward outside of "Hey, a new character no one will ever notice/New title no one will ever look at/a mount you'll get in like another 5 days time that people will kill you to steal" Seriously, gently caress, that's the first reaction people have to Bonzo the Bull: kill you to steal it.

Yeah I was trying to get to 50 to get the bull but then I killed a guy and took his and realized it wasn't really very good at all so now I don't care :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Samurai Sanders posted:

No no, I'd prefer that they just PICKED A LANGUAGE.

I've spent a lot of time with second-language speakers, and no one just mixes their first language's words in with their second language, that's just silly.

edit: people sometimes mix their SECOND language's words in with their first language to show off, but that's a different issue.

The whole point of it all was that Marston can't speak Spanish. They were speaking English because they WERE speaking English to him. The Spanish had no translating subtitles because Marston doesn't understand Spanish, so it's all just Spic gibberish to him.

Also you clearly haven't spent a lot of time with Mexicans in the US, because even up here in NYC, they regularly will throw in Spanish insults or terms while speaking English. It's no different than when shithead American tourists throw in random English words while trying to BS their way through the native language when they go to Europe, which also happens regularly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo is the annoying truth. I stopped using the bull because as soon as I whipped it out I would get shot in the face so someone could steal it. And MP isn't like SP where you can just whistle and the mount will buck the thief off. Instead it just summons you a new one.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
So I had this really weird bug today in multiplayer. My Turkmen horse was killed by some griefers and a few minutes later after surviving the fuckers, behold, my War Horse appears from nowhere.

And it wasn't just a skin bug, it had the goody stats it has in SP. People with higher level mounts had trouble keeping up with me.

This lasted the whole session, but i couldn't reproduce it again later.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
For the disarming 6 guys challenge, I used a different method - equip the Evans Repeater, go to the gang hideout with the mine (Gaptooth Breach I think?), run directly past the guys outside the mine, then when you get inside use deadeye on the first 2 guys to hopefully disarm them. Once you've done this, proceed slowly through the mine, manually aiming at their guns; because you can't really get surrounded, you have time to line up shots pretty well, and with the Evans you have quite a bit of leeway for missed shots.

Hope this helps someone!

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008

Fuzz posted:

The whole point of it all was that Marston can't speak Spanish. They were speaking English because they WERE speaking English to him. The Spanish had no translating subtitles because Marston doesn't understand Spanish, so it's all just Spic gibberish to him.

There is one scene where Reyes is riling up the revolutionaries after that mission where they save John in Chupa Rosa...in English. It only happened a few times but there were a few moments like that.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I am having quite a hard time getting the Bollard Twin bounty alive. The bounty was finally put up after a few hours of no bounties showing up at all. The dude runs off and as I'm about to lasso him he falls off a cliff into the river and dies. I needed him alive :( Now to wait another few hours for a bollard twin bounty to show up again.

Also my horse died randomly while I was riding it. No gunshots, no animals. It just flipped over and died.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well, finally got the Legend of the West outfit... honestly, it's pretty poo poo. The Duster is actually way cooler. Legend doesn't have spurs, and the sewed up rips and tears in the Duster just make it look more badass. Kind of a letdown after all that.

Laughing Man
Feb 11, 2008

Overbite posted:

I am having quite a hard time getting the Bollard Twin bounty alive. The bounty was finally put up after a few hours of no bounties showing up at all. The dude runs off and as I'm about to lasso him he falls off a cliff into the river and dies. I needed him alive :( Now to wait another few hours for a bollard twin bounty to show up again.

Also my horse died randomly while I was riding it. No gunshots, no animals. It just flipped over and died.

Snake?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Laughing Man posted:

Snake?

Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAKE!

Sorry, the Metal Gear nerd in me couldn't resist.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

HampHamp posted:

For the disarming 6 guys challenge, I used a different method - equip the Evans Repeater, go to the gang hideout with the mine (Gaptooth Breach I think?), run directly past the guys outside the mine, then when you get inside use deadeye on the first 2 guys to hopefully disarm them. Once you've done this, proceed slowly through the mine, manually aiming at their guns; because you can't really get surrounded, you have time to line up shots pretty well, and with the Evans you have quite a bit of leeway for missed shots.

Hope this helps someone!
I, also, had a loving hell of a time with it until I just went into Gaptooth Breach with the Evans repeater. Finished the 6 shot challenge around halfway through the Challenge and didn't even use Dead Eye for fear the Dead Eye-auto reload would gently caress it up (which it doesn't apparently).

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help

transient posted:

As far as racing, I did it with whatever lovely horse I was given at MacFarlane ranch

Bro, that's one of the three best horses in the game.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I didn't see anyone comment on this, so when my Honor dropped to the lowest from the highest, my Obscuridad del Santo Andres disappeared from my inventory. Hopefully I can get it back again.

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.

Fuzz posted:

Well, finally got the Legend of the West outfit... honestly, it's pretty poo poo. The Duster is actually way cooler. Legend doesn't have spurs, and the sewed up rips and tears in the Duster just make it look more badass. Kind of a letdown after all that.

You get double dead eye regardless of whether you're wearing it or not right?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doc Cylon posted:

You get double dead eye regardless of whether you're wearing it or not right?

Seems like it, yeah. So how many Stranger missions are there? I just finished 15 and got the trophy, but I can't find anymore.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
There's 19 altogether.

I love how strong the Buffalo Rifle is. I was minding my business trying to track down some annoying skunks for master hunter. Found one finally and apparently I gibbed it with the Buffalo Rifle, since it left behind no corpse.

At 96%. Just gotta wait for those drat wanted posters to get put up.

Edit: and sharpshooter challenge. What's the best way to disarm people? Shoot the weapon instead of the hand?

Lord of Laughton fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 31, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lord of Laughton posted:

There's 19 altogether.

I love how strong the Buffalo Rifle is. I was minding my business trying to track down some annoying skunks for master hunter. Found one finally and apparently I gibbed it with the Buffalo Rifle, since it left behind no corpse.

At 96%. Just gotta wait for those drat wanted posters to get put up.

Edit: and sharpshooter challenge. What's the best way to disarm people? Shoot the weapon instead of the hand?

19?!

Well poo poo, there's 4 I'm missing and I can't find them on the map anywhere... now I'm tempted to go riding through every friggin town looking, but half of them are out in bumfuck nowhere so that wouldn't help.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
questions about the checklist at [ http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/checklist.html ]. It shows my horseshoe and blackjack games, but won't show my liar's dice or poker and I've got a positive amount of winnings in both. Anyone else have this issue, or is it the page not syncing correctly maybe?

Some of the outfits and stranger missions say they're having issues syncing, so maybe they're broken too? I'm not sure :(
also, having a posse boss actually booting asshats, and calling out orders and keeping everyone together is a nice change of pace. :3:

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Could someone tell me the location of the You Know Me stranger mission, or whatever it is that doesn't count towards 100%? The weird one with the devil as the quest-giver.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Picked up the game yesterday and just got to Mexico. The dialouge is insufferable, and so far too many of the stranger stories have been little 'gently caress you's to the players (haha you collected flowers for a guy's wife?? Guess what, she's dead! Isn't that hilarious).

Welp.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Just watched A Fistful of Dollars last night, and I assume there's a poncho you can get for John once you get to Mexico, right? :allears:

Crummers
Dec 30, 2008

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Just watched A Fistful of Dollars last night, and I assume there's a poncho you can get for John once you get to Mexico, right? :allears:

Yeah, there is one hidden in Mexico somewhere. Pretty awesome one at that.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Now that I think about it, it would've been the ultimate reference to the classic Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars type of story to have a section where you play two rival gangs off each other. Unless there is one and I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The last survivalist challenge is going to be really loving irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Picked up the game yesterday and just got to Mexico. The dialouge is insufferable, and so far too many of the stranger stories have been little 'gently caress you's to the players (haha you collected flowers for a guy's wife?? Guess what, she's dead! Isn't that hilarious).

Welp.

Would be nice of you to spoiler the end of that stranger mission. My bigger nitpick is what you would have preferred to be the conclusion to that story. Are you saying that collecting the flowers and giving them to a live guys wife, which is terribly kosher and boring, would have been more enjoyable then the guy giving them to a dead body that he lives with and still considers to be "alive", so much so that he believes she still makes him dinner and goes for evening walks with him?

• Locked thread